ADVERTISEMENT

Cayo....Uh Oh

As our starting Power Forward wouldn't he get 11 like the last two seasons?

Going out on solid ground and calling this much ado about nothing. Cayo was shown in practice pictures earlier this spring wearing Grant’s number from last year. That didn’t mean Grant was transfering. Most likely a switch of numbers.

Matt has worn 4 or 14 in all the pictures I've seen and even his twitter handle is @MattGrace_4. Maybe Cayo wanted something new, maybe he wanted his old high school number (14), or maybe he's taking the 10 that he wore in his UR commitment pictures. Who knows???

Unlike some of the haters on this here board, I do think Cayo is a legit D1 talent, that can develop (outside of Mooney's tutelage) into a very good A10 level player. Very sad to see what I think is happening. I am guessing a transfer in the works since they already promised his number to Grace.

https://screenshots.firefox.com/yxG1sB0w2X0a2ghf/twitter.com

Is the only thing you are basing this on that Grace is wearing #4 in this picture?

Reactions: spiders13
He’s going to wear 11 and 2 to make up for the 2 lost starters

Reactions: urfan1
Nate Cayo is one of our top-5 returning "starters," and a player with some really exciting skills. I truly hope that this is nothing and that Nate will be back to pick up some of the lost point, rebounds and minutes that we lost with Khwan and Buck. I guess we will know more once summer practices get underway....

I am with you Oldie, I hope so too. I know the haters not sure about Cayo, but I see a guy that has a lot of raw skills and did get to play and acclimate himself to the level of high D1 basketball known as the A10. I hope like hell I am wrong. Sorry for the curse. As you see, lot of cursing and slap on wrist while I was out.

Oh please...this is worse than a nothing-burger. They have a few jerseys for the guys to model in when they visit. Bears no correlation to game-used numbers.

Here's Blake wearing Schneider's number:

And Gustavson wearing Kulju's:

How about Sal also stealing Cayo's number in his Twitter avatar?

DFIBckEx_400x400.jpg

Reactions: plydogg
So can we all agree now that this was a pointless thread based on an incorrect assumption about a new recruit's jersey number, that actually has absolutely no significance? If so, it is clear that we have too many posters on here with too much time on their hands.

If there is more to the story about Nate, which hopefully there is not, then why don't we just let this thread die a natural death until there is actual verifiable information?

Apologies for wasting your time SF, you are good with tracking down info. I did not realize that we use the same uniform for all recruits release photos.
A quick check of the roster does indicate that 23 is not being used.
May I suggest we print a number 23 uniform to use for future photo's? Just a thought.

Apologies for wasting your time SF, you are good with tracking down info. I did not realize that we use the same uniform for all recruits release photos.
A quick check of the roster does indicate that 23 is not being used.
May I suggest we print a number 23 uniform to use for future photo's? Just a thought.
Hmmm, perhaps uniform number 97 is also available. I still have 4 years of eligibility and have zero other scholarship offers currently. Maybe Rob Jones will give me a holler. I seem to fit our recruiting profile to a T.

Reactions: KWeaver
97, you may be a recruitable player, and fit the profile, but you will have to change your number. The referees must be able to signal your fouls with one hand, thus removing 6,7,8 and 9. I have not hear of any exceptions for refs with greater than 5 finger/thumb combos on one hand. Good try though.

On second thought, if we did use 97, that may remove the confusion and long thread caused by using a real players number. I would email the DOBO and see if this works for them. I'll back you.

Another look at last year’s roster vs current next year roster

2017-2018
Fore, Buckingham, Sherod, Solly
Cayo
Gilyard, Johnson, Andrews
Golden, Friendshuh

2018-2019
Sherod, Ford
Cayo, Kouressi
Gilyard, Johnson
Golden, Schneider, Wojcik, Grace, Verbinskis, Gustavson

Last edited:
97, you may be a recruitable player, and fit the profile, but you will have to change your number. The referees must be able to signal your fouls with one hand, thus removing 6,7,8 and 9. I have not hear of any exceptions for refs with greater than 5 finger/thumb combos on one hand. Good try though.

On second thought, if we did use 97, that may remove the confusion and long thread caused by using a real players number. I would email the DOBO and see if this works for them. I'll back you.
I suggest 66. It can’t be confused with a real number. But could be a reminder of a past event...

E-mail the DOBO, why do that when they have their own handle?

Reactions: SpiderHoops32
I'd like to state for the record, that I thought this was hysterical. You guys take yourselves way too seriously.

Reactions: KWeaver and iSpider
Agree, lot of serious guys on here.

Now, back to business.

Business Case 237 in Spider23's guide to influencing via message board media:
1 - Richmond basketball was using #4 for new players media shots. A poster known as Lambnation23 started a thread on a message board about the current #4 leaving. The staff monitoring the board took this into consideration - and the next player's glamour shot had number 1. Well done Spider23. 2. Well done mens basketball staff.

Wait to see next influence.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT