ADVERTISEMENT

Cal in game

WOW! Impressive win!

How could DT have been so bad at FT shooting? It had to be mental right? Could those 2 swishes have exercised the demons for good? Let's hope so!

Not the most beautiful inbounds play I ever saw - but we survived. Shawndre hits two foul shots. Then he gets another cheapie foul - has four. Thank the Lord Terry got the inbounds pass the second time. Hits two foul shots. Then Shawndre fouls the shooter. Can we survive the last 11 seconds? Terry Allen hits the critical free show. We foul with 8.6 seconds left. Cal player hits two. Terry Allen handles the inbounds pass with toughness. Hit two more FTs. Trey fouls the Cal player - almost in the act of shooting. Deion grabs the crucial rebound with 2.8 seconds left. AND HIT A FOUL SHOT! AND HITS ANOTHER ONE! We win by 4 over #14 Cal. Players gave a great effort. Coaches need to look at the second half and see how we managed to lost a 15-point lead with uninspired play. On to Northern Iowa!

Stork, don't forget Cal is a high caliber team (ranked $14 in country).

Great win! Guys played real hard and made enough plays at the end. Great end of game free throw shooting. This game will be very nice to have come March.

Big time TA
A win against a ranked team is always important. I just hope they don't lose sight of all the horrible defense giving up a ton of uncontested layups, giving up a 15 point lead by clanking about ten shots in a row, fouling TWICE in the last couple of minutes on guys driving for a layup, and on and on.
It is doubtful that Wood is going to hit four threes in a row or that Allen will have a game in which he scored so well down low and shot free throws so well at the end of the game every time out.
Yes there is a lot to be happy about, but don't lose sight of the multitude of mistakes that will be increasingly hard to overcome especially when A10 play starts.
Still don't know why the big guy and Julius are not in there to get some experience
.Because they won Mooney will see no reason to change anything.
Absolutely HEROIC effort by Allen and Jones was not far behind, and for two or three minutes Wood was up there too.Unfortunately it is tough to beat good teams with only two or three guys.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
Chris Mooney is a great coach who put the Spiders in a position to win. Great job coaches and players! Roll d@mn Spide! OSC

One more comment: Terry is the real deal. Moreover, "a great kid".

I hate the deliberate fouling at the end of the game, mainly because my stress level can't take it. But when you have FT's shooters like SDJ and TA, it is a good strategy.

What a game by Terry Allen. Big time performance in a big time game. But lets not overlook Shawndre's effort tonight. He played some really good ball and hit the big time 3, that gave us the lead that we didn't surrender.

Oh yeah, we outrebounded Cal.

Reactions: spiders13
You are right, we should celebrate Taylor hitting 2-2 free throws. It's very rare. Way to go Deion, hopefully they'll be a big confidence booster for him.

Reactions: urfan1
DId not turn them over, like we often do, but won the boards again and shot well. Our guys have been hitting the boards the last 2 games

We found a way to win against a top 15 team. Hell of a response by the Spiders after losing the big lead and trailing by 4. Resume building win!

There are plenty of days to critique Mooney's coaching, however I think he deserves a pass on a night when we beat a Top 15 team. The game flowed as it flowed and we responded to the challenges and Mooney did great managing the game. I would have liked to see Paul and Julius get some time, sure, but I like the win much much more.

Honestly, this was a fun game from wire to wire. Great job, team. Many heroes tonight!

congrats to the players and coaches on the big win...the thing I like the most about this team is their mental toughness, or resilience, what ever you want to call it...

they took the Bears best gut punch...lost the big lead and still found a way to retake control and win the game...no Spiders team since 2010-11 has had this type of character...

there were several heroes, but what a magnificent game by Terry Allen...he used more iron than Pittsburgh on his last several FTs, but they all went in...clutch, clutch, clutch...

last night's poor three point and FT shooting was an anomaly...the Mountaineers D may have had something todo with it...

great game to watch and great national exposure on FS1 for the program and University...

on to Florida...

Go Spiders!
The Spider Gang Group Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/127760237246257/

Really fun game to watch. Terry is an absolute monster. We have so many scoring options at times, and I hope we can continue to take advantage of that as the year goes on. Did some things wrong but did a lot of things right. Great win!

Interesting... page 32 of the record book shows Tarrant with 3 Noncon regular season top 25 wins, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech (twice). Dooley & Beilein none. Wainwright 2, Stanford & Kansas. Mooney now 3, Florida, Purdue & California.

Like your post mite, but in all fairness, the OOC tourneys, our continued improvement as a program have made it easier to schedule top 25 games OOC. I also think the improvement of the A-10 has made scheduling easier

Like your post mite, but in all fairness, the OOC tourneys, our continued improvement as a program have made it easier to schedule top 25 games OOC. I also think the improvement of the A-10 has made scheduling easier

True but last night someone on TV said we had lost our last 4 ranked Noncon. Tonight someone on this thread said Vandy was our last signature OOC win. So I looked it up. Was Butler Noncon 2012-13?

True but last night someone on TV said we had lost our last 4 ranked Noncon. Tonight someone on this thread said Vandy was our last signature OOC win. So I looked it up. Was Butler Noncon 2012-13?
We didn't beat them when ranked...Bob and Greg confirmed Vandy tonight.

We didn't beat them when ranked...Bob and Greg confirmed Vandy tonight.
I meant last 4 losses were at Kansas, at Butler, vs UNC, at Florida. Just confirming the loss to Butler was Noncon.

And I don't remember a regular season victory over a ranked Vandy...

Anyway, I think this game along with Florida & Purdue wins are our top three OOC resume builders under Mooney.

Let's hope Cal ends up being a top-40 team by the end of the year. They have some very young talent and should get better, but clearly they will fall completely out of the rankings Monday after losing to two unranked teams. Regardless, we beat a good team and it will look like a good win of some variety at the end of the year, too.

Just thinking about that game. We made a ton of mistakes, physical and mental, defense was terrible, and along the way scored 94 points and beat the #14 team in the nation. Go figure!! Lol

If a a team is ranked when you beat them doesn't it still go down as a top 25 win....regardless of where they end up.

Reactions: spider fan
When you beat teams in power conferences, it is eye opening regardless of rank.
Even more it gives the A10 press which is a very tough conference with very competitive
conference who can beat anyone at any time.

On DT I appreciate his effort and workmanship, but it does not excuse the fact his foul shooting
is horrible for an experienced player. If Zo could go from a poor percentage to a confident shooter,
then why cannot DT and Trey? I was cringing when he was on line for those last two shots and
don't fool yourself, everyone else was too. I was so excited for him to ice the game and happy for
him in the spotlight. But now is time to take this success forward and make believers of us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT