ADVERTISEMENT

Burton declaring for NBA draft, maintaining eligibility

Well it sounds like the choice will be easy for him: stay in the draft this year and don’t get drafted at all, or come back and have a great year and get drafted. He should be able to play at least one or two solid years in the nba before arthritis and osteoporosis kick in at the age of 25, and he’s got at least 10 years before he’ll need to be in a nursing home, so might as well shoot for the stars!
The only thing you left out was sitting in the stands at the Robins Center with the rest of us red sweaters........................

• Haha
Reactions: Eight Legger
Mooney not tipping his hand on Burton, if he even knows anything...

Burton, a 6-foot-7 senior forward with two seasons of eligibility remaining, has until June 1 to determine if he will remain in the NBA draft pool or return to UR.

“I think I go back and forth depending, like everybody, on the projection you might see or happen to read,” Richmond coach Chris Mooney said this week.

I like the options we have now behind Burton. we're in good shape.
but yes, you can't lose a guy like Burton in June and not take a hit.
Exactly, with Burton returning, that raises our ceiling and floor.

Without Burton returning, our ceiling lowers a bit but our floor remains about the same.

Reactions: gcarter52
I think the floor goes lower if he leaves. Not that we can't be a good team and maybe an NIT team, but the fact remains - we won't be returning any meaningful scorer that has been on the floor for the basically the past 5 years. So we will be asking guys like Grace and Goose and a bunch of transfers new to UR and A10 to carry the scoring load.

Reactions: Zeeter
I’m hoping for them to be pretty good already, and I think they will be, so better than that would be great.

Reactions: VT4700
It sounds like he is doing better than many on this board have said. I give it 75% on his return.
Burton isn't getting drafted. I think that is pretty clear. Of course, he could still go play in the G league and hope for a call up at some point. I disagree that all NBA teams are looking for is young players with huge upside. Yeah, in the first round that is what they are largely looking for. But the NBA roster has 15 players on it, 20 during the offseason and with the frequency of injuries playing up there, they need players like Burton who can come fill out an NBA bench. If you ever watch an NBA game in a blowout, their is a whole team of players who never get into a game, but are there for practice and injury fill in purposes.

I think he is likely to return because he likes it here, likes the staff, and think he will get far more PT here than he would in an NBA G league team. I think he could get drafted next year, if he improves on the areas he needs to improve upon and if he gets drafted he can get a guaranteed contract which pays a lot more than hanging around the G league.

Burton isn't getting drafted. I think that is pretty clear. Of course, he could still go play in the G league and hope for a call up at some point. I disagree that all NBA teams are looking for is young players with huge upside. Yeah, in the first round that is what they are largely looking for. But the NBA roster has 15 players on it, 20 during the offseason and with the frequency of injuries playing up there, they need players like Burton who can come fill out an NBA bench. If you ever watch an NBA game in a blowout, their is a whole team of players who never get into a game, but are there for practice and injury fill in purposes.

I think he is likely to return because he likes it here, likes the staff, and think he will get far more PT here than he would in an NBA G league team. I think he could get drafted next year, if he improves on the areas he needs to improve upon and if he gets drafted he can get a guaranteed contract which pays a lot more than hanging around the G league.
Well said

Reactions: Section9.RowD
I think the question for Burton is - if he is likely to not get drafted this year, and probably not much expectation he gets drafted next year or maybe best bet he has a great year and gets into 2nd round - why wait? Both 2nd round and un-drafted are not guaranteed, and I am confident he could a spot in the G-League if he left this year or even go overseas and probably make more money over there.

So I guess - maybe the question, if the results will only be slightly better next season if he has a good year, why wait? or is it worth coming back for that limited improvement.

Makes some sense Trap, flip side is:

1) Come back and be BMOC
2) Chance to be A10 POY, lead team to back to back NCAA's
3) Enjoy college one more year - real world will be there for the next 6-7 decades.
4) Improve handle, defense, etc while reaping benefits of being BMOC and all of the above.

I get some guys in his shoes are ready to take the next step, but based on last years returnees, guys seem to like it at Richmond and could see this happening with Burton too.

1) Come back and be BMOC
3) Enjoy college one more year - real world will be there for the next 6-7 decades.
4) Improve handle, defense, etc while reaping benefits of being BMOC and all of the above.

I get some guys in his shoes are ready to take the next step, but based on last years returnees, guys seem to like it at Richmond and could see this happening with Burton too.
I think it is all of this that probably will make the determining factor. As Trap said, from a basketball standpoint, you can argue both sides of the coin. But from a life perspective, is Tyler ready to move on from his college experience and start life in the real world or would he enjoy another year of college life. Approximately, 25 years removed from my college experience, I would highly recommend taking another year of college. You can't go back and have the experience once you leave. The real world experience is gonna be the rest of your life anyway.

1) Come back and be BMOC

I agree Spider - but Burton is not entering the "real world" - by all accounts, since he is looking at leaving early, his real world - barring injury the next few years, will be playing basketball for a living. In the US - with the NBA, that is not close to the real world. Can't speak to the G-League. Europe is a different animal - because it is much different than NBA, but you can make good money if you love basketball and enjoy being in a foreign land from home for most months of the year. SO its not the real world he is entering by any means.

But my point - he comes back, makes NCAA and A10 POY - what does that do for him? Secures a 2nd round? and flip to that is - he comes back and doesn't do that and is worse off. Right now - he still has some potential left. Come back another year and slip just a little - that potential disappears. I don't disagree - he probaby likes it at UR, but he needs to think about his future at this point, and sometimes that is not going to agree with his likes.

I guess we can debate on what the real world is, but your working for a living to me your in the real world. That is a huge life transition from the college life and the bubble that is a college campus. Trap, your right, you have a limited number of years to make money off of playing basketball, so that is part of the calculation.

To me, you got your whole life to make money but you only get 4 (5) years to be a college student and live that life, so my 40 something year old self is remind college kids to not rush getting out to real world.

Plus, I want Tyler in an UR uniform next year, so I'm biased but whatever, just come back for another year Tyler.

I think it is all of this that probably will make the determining factor. As Trap said, from a basketball standpoint, you can argue both sides of the coin. But from a life perspective, is Tyler ready to move on from his college experience and start life in the real world or would he enjoy another year of college life. Approximately, 25 years removed from my college experience, I would highly recommend taking another year of college. You can't go back and have the experience once you leave. The real world experience is gonna be the rest of your life anyway.
I think I will test that theory.
I was a Freshman in September 1982, and now (thanks to you) plan on returning and being a freshman in 2032. Maybe I can write a book on the difference in experience...

• Haha
Reactions: spider fan
if your "real world" involves sitting your ass in an office chair for 40 years like me, I'd definitely recommend another year of college.
if your "real world" is chasing your NBA dream, then do whatever you think helps your chances most.
True point.

if your "real world" involves sitting your ass in an office chair for 40 years like me, I'd definitely recommend another year of college.
if your "real world" is chasing your NBA dream, then do whatever you think helps your chances most.
Dangggg 40 years 😬. 😀 I’m trying to get these next 6 over and retire 😂. Couldn’t imagine teaching for another 25 yrs. Not sure if that’s even the right math 😂Told SpiderMom it’s 22 yrs tops and collect most of retirement and my Va Disability and call it. Follow Dji around if he makes it or plan B. Drive around the country hitting the Diners Drive ins and dives 🤷🏼‍♂️😂

I get it, playing hoops for a living in your 20s is fun. But let's say he ends up in a smaller Euro league. I recall Darien Brothers posting videos of team 6AM runs around a lake. 3 practices a day. At a certain point it becomes more work and less fun. Kid that followed me in h.s. and started at PG at VMI, remember running into him a few years after he was out of college. He had tried to play in semi pro league (USBL maybe?). Said it was a grind, everyone as good or better - hoops became a lot less fun when its your living.

Now maybe the G league is extended AAU and pay OK, but give me 20+ TV games a year, as the man, in a top 10 league - while continuing to work towards that same goal - not bad. Yes, playing hoops is not the same job most of us have, but as soon as you graduate or go pro - it changes.

Dangggg 40 years 😬. 😀 I’m trying to get these next 6 over and retire 😂. Couldn’t imagine teaching for another 25 yrs. Not sure if that’s even the right math 😂Told SpiderMom it’s 22 yrs tops and collect most of retirement and my Va Disability and call it. Follow Dji around if he makes it or plan B. Drive around the country hitting the Diners Drive ins and dives 🤷🏼‍♂️😂
Spider Dad - VA Disability, didn't know that - what branch? and thanks for your service. I was a Navy Chaplain and served Navy, Marines, and Coast Guard.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
Spider Dad - VA Disability, didn't know that - what branch? and thanks for your service. I was a Navy Chaplain and served Navy, Marines, and Coast Guard.
Nice…Thank you for yours! I was Army…my first day of MOS training was 9-11…Crazy day! Served 2001-2008 I was a 92Romeo Parachute Rigger and Airborne. I broke my back jumping…2 rods 4 screws and 1 artificial disk later I’m still kicking by the Grace of God 😀

man, that sounds awesome. nice plan. unfortunately despite running around for some great years of hoops, baseball, lacrosse, football, soccer, etc ... none of my kids helped me out with a ride! you should give Dji a big long hug next time you see him!

I was aggressive saying 40. I'll go 45+. the 401k is in the toilet lately.

Spider Dad ....Wow - sorry about breaking your back jumping .............but glad you are making it! And sadly have read of several cases like yours...............the takeaway I had from the military was how blessed I am to be an American and the number of fine people I met in the military some of whom will be friends for eternity. Hopefully your back issues are not daily constant irritants...............but would say what you have been through along with your faith helps explain your terrific attitude.................which has been passed to your son..............

Spider Dad ....Wow - sorry about breaking your back jumping .............but glad you are making it! And sadly have read of several cases like yours...............the takeaway I had from the military was how blessed I am to be an American and the number of fine people I met in the military some of whom will be friends for eternity. Hopefully your back issues are not daily constant irritants...............but would say what you have been through along with your faith helps explain your terrific attitude.................which has been passed to your son..............
Appreciate the kind words and you’re right about the good people and being blessed…there are good days and bad with the back but that’s life too right? 😀✊🏼

Exactly - and lets be honest. The NBA, like I have said - is not the real world. Just imagine - if Burton can just make a few 10 day rosters or get lucky and after a year or two in the G-League and get a minimum deal contract. That is $1 million dollars guaranteed in the NBA to either play or sit on the bench. And even better - get 3 years of service in the NBA, you then get a pension of around 60K when you retire, each year over 3 years - it goes up.

So I don't blame if he doesn't come back, all I hope is he does well and hopefully makes a team. Not only to help himself, but it is also good for UR - it shows recruits, you can make the NBA from here.

I hope Tyler comes back, because I think with one more year as a Spider he has a shot at being a 1st round pick if he improves. There is a huge difference in career earnings between 1st and 2nd round picks. The average salary in the NBA for the 2021-2022 season is $7.3 million.

Not only do first round picks get substantially more income per year and longer guarantees, they also stay in the league longer. One study of 2nd round picks over a 10 year period show that less than 3 quarters of 2nd round players make it to the NBA and only 26% make it past the 3rd year.

Tyler has improved significantly each year at U of R and currently has one of the best 3 point shooting forms in college. I don’t think he has peaked and has the potential to take it to another level. I hate mentioning areas of potential improvement for a player at such a high level, but imagine if he perfected driving to the basket he would be unstoppable and average in the mid 20s.

\

think we r borrowing trouble...I’d be very very surprised if not back...& we’ll find out for sure in another week...but it is offseason message board time.

I hope Tyler comes back, because I think with one more year as a Spider he has a shot at being a 1st round pick if he improves. There is a huge difference in career earnings between 1st and 2nd round picks. The average salary in the NBA for the 2021-2022 season is $7.3 million.

Not only do first round picks get substantially more income per year and longer guarantees, they also stay in the league longer. One study of 2nd round picks over a 10 year period show that less than 3 quarters of 2nd round players make it to the NBA and only 26% make it past the 3rd year.

Tyler has improved significantly each year at U of R and currently has one of the best 3 point shooting forms in college. I don’t think he has peaked and has the potential to take it to another level. I hate mentioning areas of potential improvement for a player at such a high level, but imagine if he perfected driving to the basket he would be unstoppable and average in the mid 20s.

\
."...one of the best 3 point shooting forms in college."
"unstoppable and average in the mid 20s."
These are exaggerations right?

Reactions: Zeeter
If Tyler comes back, it is because he loves UR and wants to get his degree now. I don’t think he comes back to get better and I have my doubts that spending another year at UR makes him better prepared for the NBA. Obviously, the Spiders need him to come back from an experience, rebounding, and scoring aspect. I think it comes down to how much does Tyler like college life.

Just over a week left to find out if the Mooney culture holds onto another player.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
."...one of the best 3 point shooting forms in college."
"unstoppable and average in the mid 20s."
These are exaggerations right?
During the 1st half of the season Tyler's 3pm shooting was in the mid-40 percent range and he was also at the top of the A10 in scoring averaging around 18. His numbers declined the 2nd half of the season. I think he has the capability to shoot 3's in the mid 40s and average over 20 points a game. The dude is going to be a super star!

Last edited:
Still think Tyler’s weakness is his ball handling which needs improvement to come up
to NBA standards. He has the athleticism, rebounding, shooting and movement without
the ball. I hear several say he needs to work on defense but Tyler was one of our best at
moving his feet and taking a charge. May be in eyes of scouts, he is just not flashy or dynamic
enough. Harper went second round but Justin may have been slightly more consistent than Tyler.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT