ADVERTISEMENT

Burton declaring for NBA draft, maintaining eligibility

yeah I disagree w sman too there. Don't find it rare. Think many (even physics?) will say u can jump off 2 feet higher if you're doing it right. But it's probably pretty close. In basketball u r just running a lot and don't always have the luxury off 2. the acceleration you get off 1 helps but obv u have more force off 2. in short spaces no doubt you go higher off 2. I think NBA may look for the bounce off 1 more since there is a lot more dunking off the move, off the break etc in nba. but idk. I was talking from their perspective, it's not a concern of mine.
There’s a reason high jumpers run up to the bar/pit…

Reactions: spiderman
Tyler started an amazing 17-29 from 3 his first 5 games. But, the next 32 games, he only shot 31.4% from 3.
yikes. I've always thought his arc is a bit too high. longer travel path. there's a program showing optimal arc out there. someone should hook him up to it in the offseason.

There’s a reason high jumpers run up to the bar/pit…

The high jump is off 1 foot. That’s the rule that’s the sport. Some could do it better off 2 but it’s not allowed. Tho u have to contort your body in a way that I’m not sure is equivalent to bball anyway. When u do vertical leap tests u go off 2 rather than 1. That’s not really the point either but I may be missing yours.

yikes. I've always thought his arc is a bit too high. longer travel path. there's a program showing optimal arc out there. someone should hook him up to it in the offseason.
Yep, I think I brought this up in the past as I used to read up on these things. One of the studies I saw showed the optimal arc to be almost exactly the same as Steph Curry's surprise surprise. And of course, he seems to have a crazy high arc IMO. Hope we get Burton back, we should be very good with him back.

The high jump is off 1 foot. That’s the rule that’s the sport. Some could do it better off 2 but it’s not allowed. Tho u have to contort your body in a way that I’m not sure is equivalent to bball anyway. When u do vertical leap tests u go off 2 rather than 1. That’s not really the point either but I may be missing yours.
I’m saying you won’t find any guy who jumps higher from “standing” (2 feet) than from “running” (1 foot). I thought that was the argument being made and it seems reasonably absurd.

but sure, testing is done from standing, ostensibly because it somehow levels the measurement.

I’m saying you won’t find any guy who jumps higher from “standing” (2 feet) than from “running” (1 foot). I thought that was the argument being made and it seems reasonably absurd.

but sure, testing is done from standing, ostensibly because it somehow levels the measurement.
What I am looking for is someone who covers more ground, not more height, from a standing jump than a running one...Ie the Long Jump not the High Jump.

I don't know how many, but I don't believe your first statement to be true, some just don't get enough force off 1.

But yes you completely missed the argument. The whole thing started from the clip of Burton getting a RUNNING start but going off 2 feet to dunk it. It wasn't comparing standing and leaping off 2 without any acceleration.

I don't know how many, but I don't believe your first statement to be true, some just don't get enough force off 1.

But yes you completely missed the argument. The whole thing started from the clip of Burton getting a RUNNING start but going off 2 feet to dunk it. It wasn't comparing standing and leaping off 2 without any acceleration.
Yeah I missed that. And In that case I have no idea which might make someone springier.

In todays game if you are jumping off of 1 foot..you are setting yourself up to get injured. Jumping off two feet is the best for safety and for as you say "being a high flyer" and you can control you body a lot easier. This is something I have and Dji's trainers stress to him all the time, as do most trainers that know bball.
This is true and a bit of an evolution in training. Two feet is preferred, but the game will continue to be played with jumps sometimes off two and sometimes off one, with two continuing to get a greater share for a while yet as the evolution hasn’t yet reached everywhere!

What matters to NBA types isn’t going to be max vertical at all and not too much 1 foot vs two. Rather it’s going to be quick hops and explosiveness in traffic. Can you rebound with bodies all around and banging you. ThT There are great rebounders who don’t have super great verticals and it’s because they simply cn go get the ball! They don’t need to “gather“ much enabling them to be quick twitch and explosive.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
This is true and a bit of an evolution in training. Two feet is preferred, but the game will continue to be played with jumps sometimes off two and sometimes off one, with two continuing to get a greater share for a while yet as the evolution hasn’t yet reached everywhere!

What matters to NBA types isn’t going to be max vertical at all and not too much 1 foot vs two. Rather it’s going to be quick hops and explosiveness in traffic. Can you rebound with bodies all around and banging you. ThT There are great rebounders who don’t have super great verticals and it’s because they simply cn go get the ball! They don’t need to “gather“ much enabling them to be quick twitch and explosive.
Well said

Not a great showing for Tyler in his first game. Mostly a non-factor with only one bucket and a handful of rebounds. Did get a couple of steals. Seemed kind of passive, mostly floating around the three-point line on offense.

Embedding the video below (his game starts around the 2-hour mark), but I took a few notes in case anyone wants to hop around the video. He's #25 in white.

First half:
Checked in at 12:36, helped down low and stripped the ball out of bounds for a nice play on first defensive possession. Next defensive possession he jumped the passing lane for a steal and a breakaway, but got clipped from behind and went down. Unfortunately, he airballed the first FT and was well short on the second.

Had a nice pull-up jumper around 10:30 mark, then missed a three. Nice defensive effort around 7:55 to contest a three and force an airball. Picked up a couple of boards, then had a turnover when he lost the ball trying to drive into the lane. His final three minutes were quiet and he was subbed out at 3:36 mark.

Second half:
Started the half and was involved in a couple of turnovers trying to get the ball to him, but neither one was probably his fault. Subbed out at 15:32.

Checked back in around 9:32, missed a three, got a steal a minute later, followed by a board. Got a little lost in no man's land on D trying to decide which man to cover around 7:00, then mishandled a loose ball a few seconds later. Was subbed out at 4:14 mark.

Reactions: spiderman
Not ideal for him but good for the Spiders. Might be better to improve at UR with possibly likely guarantee to be picked. Though that mock draft site I look at moved Tyler into the top 100 at #90 on 5/10/22. Same site dropped Lee and V Williams out of the top 100. Hall from Joe's at #50 ( I don't get it?) and believe or or not that Toledo player Ryan Rollins now at #38.

And Kellen Grady down to #73. Watching him at Davidson + UK I parallel his career to a poor man's Mark Macon from Temple. After fantastic frosh season his college play kind of plateaued when most thought major improvement was a lock. Surprised looking it up now but Macon still got drafted in 1st at #8. Stayed in league for years but just a marginal bench player after first two years.

Better showing for Tyler tonight with a few flashes, but still didn't stand out overall. 8 points, 5 boards, but three turnovers. Drained a three, had some really nice patience around the basket for a bucket (around 9:00 mark of second half), and also got an and-1. Had a couple of nice passes where the receiver wasn't able to finish.

Game started around 2:08:00 mark of the video.

I am guessing at this point little chance he gets drafted. I recall G league started handing out some hefty contracts a couple years back. Was that just for top players out of h.s.? I wonder if developing in the G league for a year is a consideration vs returning?

I am guessing at this point little chance he gets drafted. I recall G league started handing out some hefty contracts a couple years back. Was that just for top players out of h.s.? I wonder if developing in the G league for a year is a consideration vs returning?
That was for top guys and if I remember correctly a lot of those were HS kids not wanting to go to school.

If Tyler were 20 years old and not 22 right now, I think he would 100% come back, work on his game, and improve his draft stock. The issue for him is his age. Very few 23 year olds get drafted, so that has to be on his mind. He could be A-10 player of the year and maybe not improve his stock too much because of his age. NBA teams and GMs are looking for the next superstar, and usually go for the younger guy who might turn into a star over a really good, even great, player like Burton who maybe has already shown most of his potential. So, is it better for him to go ahead and give the NBA or G League a shot now? Obviously, I would love to see him back here, but it is not an easy decision for him, and I wish him the best with whatever he decides.

Was thinking the same thing 4700. The NBA loves the 18 yo vs the 21-23 yo much more now. They are afraid of missing out on the 19 yo beanpole Giannis that could develop into the best player.

Still with Burton, I guess the question for him may be can he increase his opportunity more for next year by coming back to Richmond , or playing in the G league?

Reactions: SpiderDad75
If Tyler were 20 years old and not 22 right now, I think he would 100% come back, work on his game, and improve his draft stock. The issue for him is his age. Very few 23 year olds get drafted, so that has to be on his mind. He could be A-10 player of the year and maybe not improve his stock too much because of his age. NBA teams and GMs are looking for the next superstar, and usually go for the younger guy who might turn into a star over a really good, even great, player like Burton who maybe has already shown most of his potential. So, is it better for him to go ahead and give the NBA or G League a shot now? Obviously, I would love to see him back here, but it is not an easy decision for him, and I wish him the best with whatever he decides.
You knocked that one out of the park! Agree with everything you touch on.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
The NBA seems to think if your a junior or senior in college, you likely have reached your potential. But if your 18-19 - the sky is the limit. Last year in the NBA draft - 19 guys out of 60 were selected that were 21 or over, and the majority of them were taken in the 2nd round (16 in the 2nd round).

G-League has improved its salaries so it makes it a little more difficult, although NIL Deals at some schools should counter that (probably not at UR for Burton though). Average salary in G-League is about 37-40K, and I do think they provide housing during the season. Select level G-League players can now earn up to 125K a year, which is the camp I think Burton went to. Doesn't look like he would fall in select group. But the rub is this - you play in the G-League and make 40K. But if you just get 1 call up to the NBA for a 10 day contract - then you make an additional 50k. So with just one call up to the NBA, you double your pay and get exposure, and maybe stick another 10 days or get another call up later in year. Last season there were 164 call ups to the NBA by 117 different players. So I got a feeling - G-League players feel like they got a good shot at getting called up or that is the though when they leave and play in G-league

it might be kind of the chicken or the egg.

I don't know that the NBA specifically looks for younger players as much as they look for superior athletes. if the 23 year olds entering the draft had shown the athleticism and potential to be drafted in the 1st round when they were 19 or 20, they probably would have entered the draft.

Not ideal for him but good for the Spiders. Might be better to improve at UR with possibly likely guarantee to be picked. Though that mock draft site I look at moved Tyler into the top 100 at #90 on 5/10/22. Same site dropped Lee and V Williams out of the top 100. Hall from Joe's at #50 ( I don't get it?) and believe or or not that Toledo player Ryan Rollins now at #38.

And Kellen Grady down to #73. Watching him at Davidson + UK I parallel his career to a poor man's Mark Macon from Temple. After fantastic frosh season his college play kind of plateaued when most thought major improvement was a lock. Surprised looking it up now but Macon still got drafted in 1st at #8. Stayed in league for years but just a marginal bench player after first two years.
Marc Macon was an amazing collegiate player. Kellen Grady is no Marc Macon.

Well it sounds like the choice will be easy for him: stay in the draft this year and don’t get drafted at all, or come back and have a great year and get drafted. He should be able to play at least one or two solid years in the nba before arthritis and osteoporosis kick in at the age of 25, and he’s got at least 10 years before he’ll need to be in a nursing home, so might as well shoot for the stars!

Bones made the league and got drafted largely because of his play in these NBA workouts and combine. He seemed to really show he could play, and especially shoot at an NBA level, and surprisingly - the NBA scouts were right. He had a very good year this past year and was a key part of the Nuggets rotation. Especially with the injuries that team experienced throughout the year.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT