ADVERTISEMENT

Brooke Fazio at NCAA Championships

Looks like she's seeded 12th of 24.

9 qualify for the final...top two from each of the three heats plus next three fastest.

Reactions: urfan1
The seed times for the field are unbelievable. 2:02 is really cooking. I think Brooke has a solid chance to advance, whether the race is honest or more tactical, although i think she'd probably prefer the prior.

If I remember correctly we had a pretty good lineman named Fazio, that played for the Spiders in the late
60’s, early 70’s. I think he was from NJ. I wonder if they’re related?

LOL -you’re right. Oh well, maybe she just dropped the li -
As a person he was a good guy. As a ball player, he was a mean son-of-a-gun.

That would have been Bill Fazioli.

4th from left.One tough mother-effer ...Actually,they all were on that team.

Tangerine Bowl 1968 championship

University of Richmond quarterback Buster O’Brien (kneeling) was flanked by 1968 Tangerine Bowl teammates (left to right) Charlie Tysinger, Bob Haggerty, Dave Criswell, Bill Fazioli, Wayne Fowler, Tom Enland, Walker Gillette, Jim Livesay, Pat Morris and Joe Kellum. The Spiders defeated No. 15 Ohio 49-42.

Last edited:
Didn’t see the race, but looks like there’s still a protest pending, presumably on Fazio’s behalf.

Only needed a 2:03 high to make it to finals and four of the nine finalists were from her heat, so if she’d been able to hang with them she would have been in good shape.

I realize this feels like she sort of 'lucked into' the Final but she got a pretty raw deal in that race.

It is going to be a fun watch on Saturday night. With a PR of 2:02, she can compete.

The race on Saturday night is inarguably as big a personal competition as UR Athletics has had in a number of years. A marquee event. Go get it Brooke.

Watched the replay on ESPN2. LSU woman cut right in front of her, started to fall over and basically body-blocked her.

Reactions: MolivaManiac
Anyone have a link to the video of the race? Thanks in advance.

Brooke began the race in the 9th lane (outer most lane) with another runner-2 runners in lane 9.Brooke was the outermost runner even in lane 9.
That was an obvious disadvantage from the outset as all the racers at the 200m mark began to de-lane and began to bunch for the remaining 3/4 of the race.
Wonder how Brooke would have fared by starting solo in the 4-6 lanes?

Reactions: Wood Hall
ran many 880's in my time (olden day 800) a tough combination of speed strength and strategy -- Brooke is a great runner and proud of her effort.

Reactions: KWeaver
Kudos on a great accomplishment. The "middle distance race" , now 800 meters instead of former 880 yards, half mile, is tough on strategy because no way can you go "all out" the entire race.

Reactions: urfan1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT