ADVERTISEMENT

Bobby Durkin - 2023 Offer

I never said 15 for Roche. I said he can still get 20 minutes even when Goose gets 30, and in games where he is hitting his 3s, I think he will play more than 20. I think Goose does a lot right out there, and is too valuable to not have out there a Iot. I don't see him losing his starting spot to anyone.

I think Goose might be a surprising shooter as well. He shot 30% from deep last year and only attempted 52 threes. I don't expect him to be as good a shooter as Roche given Roche's background - but Goose is not like Cayo that you can lay 10 feet off him and dare him to shoot. I think with more opportunity and work this past off-season - no reason Goose can't shoot 33-35% from deep and shoot 80-100 attempts.
Trap, sorry to disagree with you so completely. He's had plenty of time to improve his shot... It ain't happening. As was said in an earlier post, we know exactly what we have with Goose - a solid defender who can handle the ball well for an off guard, an occasional drive, and inconsistent 3 point shooting.

I never said 15 for Roche. I said he can still get 20 minutes even when Goose gets 30, and in games where he is hitting his 3s, I think he will play more than 20. I think Goose does a lot right out there, and is too valuable to not have out there a Iot. I don't see him losing his starting spot to anyone.
Same applies if, as you think, Goose gets 30 and Roche gets 20...we didn't get what we thought in the portal and our team will be underwhelming. Roche needs to be around third in min/game if we're to finish Top 5 in A10. I suspect you have it backwards... Maybe Roche at 30 and Goose at 15/20 - we'll see.

Same applies if, as you think, Goose gets 30 and Roche gets 20...we didn't get what we thought in the portal and our team will be underwhelming. Roche needs to be around third in min/game if we're to finish Top 5 in A10. I suspect you have it backwards... Maybe Roche at 30 and Goose at 15/20 - we'll see.
No worries if we disagree about the minutes, but I don't get your point about the portal. Are you saying we should only get starters who will play 30+ minutes in the portal? Why would Roche need to be 3rd in minutes? Some games he might be, but I wouldn't make it a must, and see no reason why it has to be a must. I don't think we were looking in the portal for someone to beat out Goose. We were just looking to add talent, and if the guys end up starting, great.

I think we got exacted what we wanted and needed in the portal: 3 solid guys who will be part of the rotation. A quality big, a versatile guy with size who can shoot the 3, and a very good 3 point guy. Whether they start or not, or play 30 minutes or 15-20 some games, will not decide if we got what we thought in the portal.

I think Goose might be a surprising shooter as well. He shot 30% from deep last year and only attempted 52 threes. I don't expect him to be as good a shooter as Roche given Roche's background - but Goose is not like Cayo that you can lay 10 feet off him and dare him to shoot. I think with more opportunity and work this past off-season - no reason Goose can't shoot 33-35% from deep and shoot 80-100 attempts.
I agree. His first 24 games last year, he went 16-47 (34%). So, no question, it is very possible for him to be around 33-35% with more volume. In addition to his outstanding defense, Goose limits his turnovers. Goose averaged 31 minutes a game the final 13 games, and only had 8 total turnovers this stretch. Starting with the A-10 tourney, when every possession is so key, he went 0,1,1,1,0, and 0 in turnovers while playing 28 or more minutes in 5 of these 6 games. He is a lot more important to winning than some of you think.

I agree. His first 24 games last year, he went 16-47 (34%). So, no question, it is very possible for him to be around 33-35% with more volume. In addition to his outstanding defense, Goose limits his turnovers. Goose averaged 31 minutes a game the final 13 games, and only had 8 total turnovers this stretch. Starting with the A-10 tourney, when every possession is so key, he went 0,1,1,1,0, and 0 in turnovers while playing 28 or more minutes in 5 of these 6 games. He is a lot more important to winning than some of you think.
Just noticed his 16 of 47 in those 24 games matched his stats in 31 games freshman year.

I think his turnovers depend on the amount he handles the ball. At times last year - he was used very rarely to bring the ball up and give Gilyard a rest. Will that happen more this year - maybe, so turnovers might increase as a result - but I do agree - he is very good at taking care of the ball.

Trap, sorry to disagree with you so completely. He's had plenty of time to improve his shot... It ain't happening. As was said in an earlier post, we know exactly what we have with Goose - a solid defender who can handle the ball well for an off guard, an occasional drive, and inconsistent 3 point shooting.

he’s more than solid defender he’s our best. Don’t know if he makes all a10 defense preseason but hope has chance. Fwiw Mooney says better shooter than shown too & I agree but goose will have to prove that.

I just don’t see how some ppl see goose going from 30+ to 15 mins. Our d carried us end of year think moon knows it & don’t see him taking a guy like goose who is integral to it off court so much.

agree w VT we could see him & Roche playing together more than expected. Sure we need to replace offense but that is collective thing not just on Roche. If Roche bigelow Dji Noyes crab etc lay a big claim to really high minutes great I’m all for it. It means taking them from some other good player & we r really deep. We r potentially deeper but tbd. Now Goose may play less mins than last year, heck Burton may play slightly less if we r so deep too. But still hard for me to see Goose not among our top min guys. Look fwd to see how it plays out.

Reactions: urfan1 and VT4700
Agree to disagree. I am not saying he is a great 3 point shooter. But the past 3 seasons - he has been behind at least 4-5 other guys who are better options than him for scoring and shooting. I don't expect him to be all league or knock down 5 three pointers in one game - but he is certainly not a guy teams can just lay off and dare to shoot. We could see Goose and Roche playing more - but that would mean 1 of 2 things. Either Goose is handling the ball at the point, or Burton is playing the 4. I think either one of those can work for short periods - but I don't think they are main rotations/lineups.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
And I don't like the argument of - we didn't bring in Roche to play 15 minutes off the bench. No one comes to any University or team thinking they are going to be a bench player or just a role player, but fact of the matter is - only so many can be starters, and from that group - only so many can be the stars of the team. Remember - every single recruited player on not only UR, but most college basketball teams was likely the best or 2nd best player on their HS team and AAU team. That is why only about 1% of HS basketball players get a D1 scholarship. SO everyone on our team and every team, rightfully so - is coming to their school thinking they will play and be a major factor. But at the end of the day only 2, maybe 3 really end up being that.

Reactions: urfan1
I hope Goose shoots 40% from 3 and if so I'll play him all 40 minutes. but he'll never get more open looks than he did when he was the 5th scoring option on the floor. I don't expect him over 32%. but he's still valuable slashing to the rim and defending.

he's the top option at the 2 ... until he's not. if Roche or Dji or Crab or whoever play better, then they get the minutes. best guys play.

It mystifies me that other teams’ players are given all world status while our players just had one good night. We have been h underestimated. Go Spiders!!🕷️🕸️, let entangle opponents in the web!

Reactions: SpiderLaw
This guy may be one of those generational type of players for Davidson. I kind of forgot about him, but recall at the time was quite bummed we did not get him. Not to overhype, but this guy could be juniors Curry lite and propel his career. Imagine having this guy on the wing next to King?Let's get going Noyes!

It mystifies me that other teams’ players are given all world status while our players just had one good night. We have been h underestimated. Go Spiders!!🕷️🕸️, let entangle opponents in the web!
I can agree with that - and its too early to tell for Durkin for anything at this point. He is off to a good start, but something to keep an eye on with freshman is that wall they usually hit mid A10 conference.

I think Durkin will be a good player and it was a shame we lost out on him. But now two questions remain - how good will he be? All A10 player or just a good solid role player? And if he does turn out pretty good - does he stay at Davidson all 4 years?

This guy may be one of those generational type of players for Davidson. I kind of forgot about him, but recall at the time was quite bummed we did not get him. Not to overhype, but this guy could be juniors Curry lite and propel his career. Imagine having this guy on the wing next to King?Let's get going Noyes!
Only took 5 weeks for Bobby to get his 1st A10 award. Still hasn't started a game but last two games had ~29 minutes each .. 12/12 from the line so far .. he may never miss.

• Sad
Reactions: urfan1 and GKiller
King is going to win one this year unless he get FSUd.

FSU got royally screwed. That said…I also find myself w zero sympathy bc a big conference school got “eye tested” for once and UR & other schools like us have dealt w that annually for March Madness. Eye test over your actual resume. I’d say maybe it’s good it awakens people to that bs & plight. Except probably not bc they’ll be at 12 teams next year.

FSU got royally screwed. That said…I also find myself w zero sympathy bc a big conference school got “eye tested” for once and UR & other schools like us have dealt w that annually for March Madness. Eye test over your actual resume. I’d say maybe it’s good it awakens people to that bs & plight. Except probably not bc they’ll be at 12 teams next year.
exactly - a similar travesty - 25-8 fordham not making either the NCAA or the NIT got with WV making the tourney with an 18-15 record .. I am convinced Coach Bob over a double makers with me would fully agree but yes we would get an Uber.

Reactions: GKiller and plydogg
But, it's okay for Bama to schedule Chattanooga late in the year???? And to need a 4th and 31 miracle to beat a 6-6 Auburn team who lost the previous week 31-10 to New Mexico St???? And to lose at home to Texas????? It was a freaking joke to leave FSU out and put Bama in there.

I don't think FSU would get drilled by Michigan. I don't think Michigan would score much on them, and FSU's back up QB would be back. All 4 playoff teams had 1 score games against very average, 6 win or less teams (Maryland, Wash St, TCU, Auburn) the last few weeks of the regular season. Yet, FSU can't hang with them after beating Florida and Louisville by 2 scores?

Last edited:
Many expected TCU would get boatraced by Michigan last year. Favored teams lose plenty. Plus it shouldn’t have been Michigan v FSU anyway. Michigan v Texas. & what’s a little weird to me & Bobby Durkin…TX Michigan in the Rose bowl is arguably as big a game as Michigan Bama, maybe bigger.

But, it's okay for Bama to schedule Chattanooga late in the year???? And to need a 4th and 31 miracle to beat a 6-6 Auburn team who lost the previous week 31-10 to New Mexico St???? And to lose at home to Texas????? It was a freaking joke to leave FSU out and put Bama in there.

I don't think FSU would get drilled by Michigan. I don't think Michigan would score much on them, and FSU's back up QB would be back. All 4 playoff teams had 1 score games against very average, 6 win or less teams (Maryland, Wash St, TCU, Auburn) the last few weeks of the regular season. Yet, FSU can't hang with them after beating Florida and Louisville by 2 scores?
I don't see fsu beating GA...if they do, the arguments will get louder, otherwise they will stop...guess we'll see

Many expected TCU would get boatraced by Michigan last year. Favored teams lose plenty. Plus it shouldn’t have been Michigan v FSU anyway. Michigan v Texas. & what’s a little weird to me & Bobby Durkin…TX Michigan in the Rose bowl is arguably as big a game as Michigan Bama, maybe bigger.
Correct. Should have been Michigan vs. Texas. And, Oregon was just favored by 10 over Washington because Washing supposedly couldn't hang with them. It's ridiculous, and yes, Bobby Durkin doesn't like it one bit.

• Haha
Reactions: spider23
I mean, as a relatively neutral observer of college football, the fact that it is surprising or shocking to people that the committee made an arbitrary decision to benefit the SEC is, to put it lightly, amusing. It's been happening since inception.

It's either (i) Michigan, Washington, Florida St., and Liberty, or its (2) whatever they ****ing feel like. They always choose 2.

I don't see people crying about excluding Liberty, even though their exclusion boils down to the same thing: strength of schedule.

Says Bobby Durkin.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Agree Kneepad. I don't follow super closely, however watching on tv a couple days ago, saw who I think was the SEC commissioner have a big stage to lay out his propaganda for the SEC.

Was listening to some sports radio during a long drive yesterday - and the folks I were listening too said last season the committee said it was all about the results (and not the 4 best) and now that that did not jive with their picture, now they claim it is always about the 4 best - and not necessarily results.
I like that they are going to 12 - though it will probably be the same debate next year.

The real travesty would have been taking only Texas and leaving Alabama out and using the "well they beat them" argument as the be-all and end-all. Alabama's best win was better than Texas's best win, and its only loss also was better than Texas's only loss. And when we shut down Bobby Durkin, it will all make even more sense.

At the end of the day, If Alabama is in top 4 and Georgia is not, how is Alabama’s best win vs #6/SEC runner up better than Texas’s best win vs top 4/SEC champ?

Seems you are freezing the best win criteria as of last week rather than when the decision was made.

Bobby Durkin says that college football is the root cause of everything bad with the ncaa, so all this fball talk is the nut low. Durkin wants more analysis of timeouts usage.

Agree Kneepad. I don't follow super closely, however watching on tv a couple days ago, saw who I think was the SEC commissioner have a big stage to lay out his propaganda for the SEC.

Was listening to some sports radio during a long drive yesterday - and the folks I were listening too said last season the committee said it was all about the results (and not the 4 best) and now that that did not jive with their picture, now they claim it is always about the 4 best - and not necessarily results.
I like that they are going to 12 - though it will probably be the same debate next year.
When do they go to 12? And yeah, there will be arguments about 12-13 but those arguments will be with teams with 2 losses, not undefeated BCS teams. I don't necessarily like FSU but they went out and still beat an SEC team in Florida with their back up and then a Top 15 team with their 3rd string QB and somehow they got penalized for those wins. While Alabama got elevated for a miracle win against a bad Auburn team.

Reactions: Zeeter
When do they go to 12? And yeah, there will be arguments about 12-13 but those arguments will be with teams with 2 losses, not undefeated BCS teams. I don't necessarily like FSU but they went out and still beat an SEC team in Florida with their back up and then a Top 15 team with their 3rd string QB and somehow they got penalized for those wins. While Alabama got elevated for a miracle win against a bad Auburn team.
2026 at the latest but could be either of the next 2 years as well.
12 means there will be an argument about the top 4.
Should have been 8 until they need 16.

how often would 8 have one team with 2 losses?

It goes to 8 next year. This would have been a good year for that to start. But, since it didn't, FSU can enjoy crying about getting left out all winter long.

I think its only a matter of time before the big time football schools break off and make their own NFL type league system. Your talking BIG Ten, SEC, Big 12, and parts of old PAC and ACC.

The question will be - does this league just form for Football, which would mean the NCAA probably has to allow just their football teams to play in this league and their other sports stay in the NCAA model. Or do all sports go from these schools? And these schools essentially break off from the NCAA because of football.

Reactions: urfan1
Bobby can't miss - 35 minutes last night with 13 points -- 3/7 from 3 and now 14/14 from the line for your Wildcat career

Are we hoping that Durkin gets upset he is coming off the bench and enters the portal and transfers to UR next year?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT