ADVERTISEMENT

Bobby Durkin - 2023 Offer

I think your under estimating some guys. Mooney almost always has 2, if not 3 guys over the 30 minute mark. While this team has a lot of new pieces, I still think this occurs.

36 - Burton
30- Nelson
30 - Goose
25 - Bigelow
24 - Grace
24 - Quinn
15 - Roche
8 - Crabtree
8 - Bailey

I think Goose, Roche, Crabtree and Bailey will see major swings depending on the game and performance. I can see games where Roche gets hot and plays a lot, and others where he doesn't and Goose plays a ton of a minutes. But I think to begin the season - Goose gets the benefit of the doubt and most minutes.

I also think Nelson dominates minutes early and often. I put Grace and Quinn equal - but I could see one jumping ahead of the other, but I feel Grace gets first crack at minutes early, but if he doesn't produce - I could see Quinn overtaking him. But I think it will be pretty even most of the year.
The So Conf ROY, with high major offers, legit college experience, who made over 100 3 pointers last year which would blown away our 3 point record for the season, one of - if not THE best - shooter on the team, who is in tremendous shape and crazy endurance gets 15 minutes. Hmm.... we didn't do as well in the portal as we thought if that's the case.
I don't see Bigelow getting anywhere near 25 min/game and Goose isn't going to smell 30 minutes in ANY game this year much less average 30.
Also Grace, Crabtree and Nelson minutes down a little to make more time for Dji who I am really excited to see what he can bring cuz I think he appears to have a more unique skill set than others.
And CM likes to give a new guy a chance for noticeable minutes...maybe Noyes, maybe not.

Last edited:
The So Conf POY, with high major offers, legit college experience, who made over 100 3 pointers last year which would blown away our 3 point record for the season, one of - if not THE best - shooter on the team, who is in tremendous shape and crazy endurance gets 15 minutes. Hmm.... we didn't do as well in the portal as we thought if that's the case.
I don't see Bigelow getting anywhere near 25 min/game and Goose isn't going to smell 30 minutes in ANY game this year much less average 30.
Also Grace, Crabtree and Nelson minutes down a little to make more time for Dji who I am really excited to see what he can bring cuz I think he appears to have a more unique skill set than others.
ROY not POY I do believe...

The So Conf POY,
Freshman of the Year ... not POY.
but yeah, I agree I hope he's playing more. we brought him in to shoot.
I also don't see the need for 30 mpg from Goose, and don't know if Nelson is so far ahead of Dji at the point to warrant 30.
and I'm not giving Bigelow that much time without knowing more. is he over Noyes just because he's older? they're both new here. actually Noyes has been in the system a year longer. no idea how to rank those two.

Goose played about 30 minutes a game last year if you throw out his first 7 games where he played less than 15 minutes. He is likely our best defender, and is more athletic and I think is a better shooter than we know. But most of all - I don't see Mooney giving him less minutes than last year.

Noyes - the only way he gets minutes is that he has to beat out Bigelow. Based on the videos I have seen, I don't see him as athletic enough to play on the wing full time. But again - this is based on a very limited information as we have barely seen him. But with Goose and Burton already ahead of him, and possibly Bigelow - I think its tough to find a place for him. His best shot is Bigelow doesn't play as much as we expected.

Roche - he may be our best shooter, but I am not sure if he can do anything else at the A10 level of play. He did cool off the end of last season and he just seems like a designated shooter at this point - which our team needs, but not sure we have enough talent around him to give him extended minutes. But like I said - I think there will be games he plays 30 minutes or more and gets hot, and then I think there will be games he plays 10-12 minutes. I can see his minutes going up and down all season.

I agree with others, not sure what videos of Noyes you're watching that show him being anything but uber athletic. Hard disagree on him not being athletic enough being a possible reason he doesn't play.

Reactions: gospidersgo
The So Conf ROY, with high major offers, legit college experience, who made over 100 3 pointers last year which would blown away our 3 point record for the season, one of - if not THE best - shooter on the team, who is in tremendous shape and crazy endurance gets 15 minutes. Hmm.... we didn't do as well in the portal as we thought if that's the case.
And CM likes to give a new guy a chance for noticeable minutes...maybe Noyes, maybe not.
he hit over 100 in the SoCon, what is the over/under on how many he hits in the A10?

Goose played about 30 minutes a game last year if you throw out his first 7 games where he played less than 15 minutes. He is likely our best defender, and is more athletic and I think is a better shooter than we know. But most of all - I don't see Mooney giving him less minutes than last year.
the experiment of playing Wilson at that spot failed. Goose was ahead of Dji and Randolph so he played 30.
replacing Wilson with Roche changes the equation. Roche was offered by Missouri, Pittsburgh, Kansas State, St. Bonaventure, and San Diego after entering transfer portal. pretty good teams think he can do more than shoot at the A10 level.

Dad would have a better feel, but I think Roche is going to play a lot. plus Mooney sounds like he's going to find substantial time for Dji. to still have Goose getting 30 would mean Burton is spending a ton of time at the 4. and I'm not saying that shouldn't or couldn't happen. but if that happens then either Grace or Bigelow is playing a lot less than expected.

the experiment of playing Wilson at that spot failed. Goose was ahead of Dji and Randolph so he played 30.
replacing Wilson with Roche changes the equation. Roche was offered by Missouri, Pittsburgh, Kansas State, St. Bonaventure, and San Diego after entering transfer portal. pretty good teams think he can do more than shoot at the A10 level.

Dad would have a better feel, but I think Roche is going to play a lot. plus Mooney sounds like he's going to find substantial time for Dji. to still have Goose getting 30 would mean Burton is spending a ton of time at the 4. and I'm not saying that shouldn't or couldn't happen. but if that happens then either Grace or Bigelow is playing a lot less than expected.
At the talk last night, Mooney did say that he hopes and expects the team to shoot better this year than last which is sort of an obvious goal .. but I have to also think Roche gets quite a bit of opportunities early in the season to prove he can take his Southern Conference clear great 3pt stats to the A-10.

Goose might not average 30, but I think there will be games where he plays 30+. In games where we are maintaining a nice lead, and Goose is being a huge factor defensively, there is no reason to not have him out there most of the game. Others can still get solid minutes even if Goose gets 30. Leaving PG and the big spot out, that leaves 120 minutes. Roche can get the 10 Goose doesn't get and 10 more with Goose for 20 total. Burton should get 35. Grace can get 10 for when he plays with Quinn (12 more while Quinn is out). That still leaves 25 minutes for Bigelow, Crabtree, and Noyes, and I could see Bigelow getting 20 minutes here in several games. So, even if Goose gets 30 some games, Grace, Roche, and Bigelow could all still get 20.

You know how CM feels about TOs , so imagine that will dictate playing time to a degree.

Last edited:
I see Quinn on the Golden schedule from a few years back - two 4 minute breaks in first half and two 3 minute breaks in 2nd half, with game flow dictating more rest if UR is ahead and/or Grace/Burton/Bigelow are all playing well. So 26 minutes.

Games where we need to match up against a Jimeron type player to keep him from going off, Goose will play a lot. Hopefully Dji can add to that defensive equation too, or Bigelow/Noyes if the player is a bit taller.

I see Quinn on the Golden schedule from a few years back - two 4 minute breaks in first half and two 3 minute breaks in 2nd half, with game flow dictating more rest if UR is ahead and/or Grace/Burton/Bigelow are all playing well. So 26 minutes.

Games where we need to match up against a Jimeron type player to keep him from going off, Goose will play a lot. Hopefully Dji can add to that defensive equation too, or Bigelow/Noyes if the player is a bit taller.
sounds about right, though Quinn averaged 30 at Lafayette and is now thinner and in better shape. not sure he'll need to be kept to 26. but Grace/Walz are probably better backup options than Lafayette had so no harm keeping him fresh.

I'd guess 26 is the floor with 30 being the ceiling.

The big mystery I believe is Bigelow. He could be a similar athlete to Cayo but with an outside shot - and that would probably mean he plays Cayo minutes or more, or does he come off the bench and play only 15 minutes or less. His minutes and amount of them - might determine a lot for the rest of the guys.

Isn't Bigelow listed at 200 lbs? Nate was 225? Tyler is 215? I don't think it's apples to apples, which is why Matt will be needed at the 4.

The big mystery I believe is Bigelow. He could be a similar athlete to Cayo but with an outside shot - and that would probably mean he plays Cayo minutes or more, or does he come off the bench and play only 15 minutes or less. His minutes and amount of them - might determine a lot for the rest of the guys.
I agree about Bigelow being a bit of a mystery, but I'm not sure whatever reputation he has as an inside scorer will cut it in the A10 which leaves him as a shooter/slasher... And I think we have a better option there with Dji

With our length, not including Quinn, we should offer some challenges to some folks on defense and I hope we find some time to play uptempo with 3/4 court pressing and such.

sounds about right, though Quinn averaged 30 at Lafayette and is now thinner and in better shape. not sure he'll need to be kept to 26. but Grace/Walz are probably better backup options than Lafayette had so no harm keeping him fresh.

I'd guess 26 is the floor with 30 being the ceiling.
Come all without, come all within
You'll not see nothing like the Mighty Quinn.
Manfred Mann is pretty high on him.

• Love
Reactions: Eight Legger
I agree about Bigelow being a bit of a mystery, but I'm not sure whatever reputation he has as an inside scorer will cut it in the A10 which leaves him as a shooter/slasher... And I think we have a better option there with Dji
You think this based on 191 career minutes for Dji? And, you think Bigelow, with 1263 career minutes, is the mystery when comparing them? Bigelow has attempted 233 3s and 122 2s, so I wouldnt say he has a reputation as an inside scorer. And, he can knock down FTs at a great clip, making 85-101 so far. Maybe you will be right, time will tell, but I just wonder what you have seen to make you think this.

Reactions: urfan1
You think this based on 191 career minutes for Dji? And, you think Bigelow, with 1263 career minutes, is the mystery when comparing them? Bigelow has attempted 233 3s and 122 2s, so I wouldnt say he has a reputation as an inside scorer. And, he can knock down FTs at a great clip, making 85-101 so far. Maybe you will be right, time will tell, but I just wonder what you have seen to make you think this.
I agree with you about lack of an inside scorer... That was kinda my point. "Mystery" was borrowed from trap...i simply agreed that I don't see where he fits in... certainly not as an inside scorer as I am doubting.
As for his free throw stats... Really??, you're going to quote me the number of his free throws as if that means what?
As for Dji, I think he could be the slasher type player... Yes, based on his 191 minutes. (Remember VT...put your stats away and just watch sometimes)

yeah, I think MFG is the main option at the 4 against a team with any real size. We can go 4 out on offense with a lot of guys but not sure who besides Quinn and Grace (and Walz in spots) will match up against a team with 2 bigs. There are still teams that will run a couple bigs out there and not always play 4 or 5 out, or elite teams will throw a guy like Banchero there at the PF slot. I do look forward to seeing UR put a team on the court with a constant outside threat at that position.

also, all this should probably move to a more relevant thread. I'm tired of the Durkin thread.

I agree with you about lack of an inside scorer... That was kinda my point. "Mystery" was borrowed from trap...i simply agreed that I don't see where he fits in... certainly not as an inside scorer as I am doubting.
As for his free throw stats... Really??, you're going to quote me the number of his free throws as if that means what?
As for Dji, I think he could be the slasher type player... Yes, based on his 191 minutes. (Remember VT...put your stats away and just watch sometimes)
LOL. Okay. Well, you mentioned shooting, and when I see 85-101 at the FT line, I think good shooter. Why are we worried about inside scoring? Why do we need Bigelow or anyone besides Quinn to be an inside scorer? Shoot, when Quinn is out, I don't even need Grace to be an inside scorer. Slasher type player? Meaning? He can "slash" through the lane? Is this the unique skill set you were talking about when mentioning Dji? Slasher? So, who cares about shooting, scoring, assists, and turnovers because they are just stats, right? As long as someone can "slash"?

yeah, I think MFG is the main option at the 4 against a team with any real size. We can go 4 out on offense with a lot of guys but not sure who besides Quinn and Grace (and Walz in spots) will match up against a team with 2 bigs. There are still teams that will run a couple bigs out there and not always play 4 or 5 out, or elite teams will throw a guy like Banchero there at the PF slot. I do look forward to seeing UR put a team on the court with a constant outside threat at that position.

also, all this should probably move to a more relevant thread. I'm tired of the Durkin thread.
Well, if teams want to be foolish enough to play 2 bigs, good luck with that, First of all, very few teams we play will even have one quality big, so good luck trying to have two. Secondly, why should we go big if they do? Make them counter to us. You think a 2nd big can handle Tyler out there? Can a 2nd big rotate enough to prevent an open 3 for us? I would love it if teams tried to go big against us.

Last edited:
I think Mooney now has the kind of guys at the big forward spot that he's always trying to recruit. guys with length who can defend inside and out but who can also shoot. I don't think he ever thought Cayo would be a non-shooter from the perimeter. but that's what happened, we worked with it, and he had a nice career. a shooting threat at both forward spots works better with our offense. Grace, Bigelow, Burton and Noyes are all primarily perimeter players.

We don't need an inside scorer out of him. We just need him to play inside on the defensive end and rebound. If he is a shooter and slasher on the offensive end - that is just fine. The reason I think Bigelow can play alongside Quinn/Grace and keep Burton at the 3/Wing is because he averaged 5.5 rebounds at Wofford his last year and only played 23 minutes a game. If we can get him to grab 5-6 reboundsa night and score 8 points a night at that position - I would be extremely happy. Just for reference - Cayo grabbed 4.4 rebounds a night and averaged 9 points while playing 26 minutes. And Cayo had to score everything by the basket. If Bigelow can defend down low and grab rebounds and knock down some 3's for us - he can take Cayo's spot in the lineup.

We don't need an inside scorer out of him. We just need him to play inside on the defensive end and rebound. If he is a shooter and slasher on the offensive end - that is just fine. The reason I think Bigelow can play alongside Quinn/Grace and keep Burton at the 3/Wing is because he averaged 5.5 rebounds at Wofford his last year and only played 23 minutes a game. If we can get him to grab 5-6 reboundsa night and score 8 points a night at that position - I would be extremely happy. Just for reference - Cayo grabbed 4.4 rebounds a night and averaged 9 points while playing 26 minutes. And Cayo had to score everything by the basket. If Bigelow can defend down low and grab rebounds and knock down some 3's for us - he can take Cayo's spot in the lineup.
I agree, and think Bigelow is versatile enough to play with a lot of different guys out there. On defense, he can guard some size and get some boards like you mentioned, but also is quick and active enough to bother guys on the wing. (Although Sman might disagree with that last statement 😀 ).

• Haha
Reactions: spiderman
I am not sure if he is better or an upgrade from Cayo as I think at times Cayo's ability to score inside helped us. I just think Bigelow will spread the floor, which in turn should help a guy like Quinn posting up down low or someone like Burton, who I think we should be running plays for him to isolate driving opportunities. Last year - I remember many times Burton trying to drive baseline and then everything being bunched up because we had Cayo cutting to the hoop or Golden trying to post up. We need some isolation plays for Burton to clear out a side and let him drive - 1-2 dribbles max and get to the hoop.

Bigelows role seems the least defined of any of the transfers. My gut tells me he's not a good enough shooter nor a strong enough inside presence to get consistent time on the floor but hope to be proven wrong for sure.

Bigelows role seems the least defined of any of the transfers. My gut tells me he's not a good enough shooter nor a strong enough inside presence to get consistent time on the floor but hope to be proven wrong for sure.
I just went to richmondspiders.com to check his bio. he looked bigger than his listed 6'7" 200. maybe his Wofford teammates were small. I looking forward to seeing him. maybe he's like Durant and likes listing smaller than he is.

while there ... didn't realize (or remember) he's already a grad student.

I kinda feel I know what to expect from Quinn and Roche (do want to see Roche on defense though).
no idea what to expect from Bigelow. is he the 39% 3 point shooter from 2 years ago or the sub 30% shooter from last year? rebounds per minute are impressive. like I said before, I don't know if he's a 30 mpg guy here or a 10 mpg guy. can't wait to find out.

The thing about Bigelow, I feel like his floor is that of a solid all around player (agree in the practice clips he looks to certainly be every bit his listed height), that can fill in and contribute on many levels. And he does have upside - on the ceiling side to be a really good outside/in threat and form a dynamic duo with Burton. I too am excited to see which one it is, and optimistic that he will be very good.

Reactions: LongTimeSpiderFan
The thing about Bigelow, I feel like his floor is that of a solid all around player (agree in the practice clips he looks to certainly be every bit his listed height), that can fill in and contribute on many levels. And he does have upside - on the ceiling side to be a really good outside/in threat and form a dynamic duo with Burton. I too am excited to see which one it is, and optimistic that he will be very good.
I agree with this - I think worse case scenario for Bigelow - he comes off the bench and plays 15 minutes, but is a solid contributor and someone we can count on off the bench. Best case - he starts and provides some toughness and outside/in scoring while helping on the boards.

Goose might not average 30, but I think there will be games where he plays 30+. In games where we are maintaining a nice lead, and Goose is being a huge factor defensively, there is no reason to not have him out there most of the game. Others can still get solid minutes even if Goose gets 30. Leaving PG and the big spot out, that leaves 120 minutes. Roche can get the 10 Goose doesn't get and 10 more with Goose for 20 total. Burton should get 35. Grace can get 10 for when he plays with Quinn (12 more while Quinn is out). That still leaves 25 minutes for Bigelow, Crabtree, and Noyes, and I could see Bigelow getting 20 minutes here in several games. So, even if Goose gets 30 some games, Grace, Roche, and Bigelow could all still get 20.
If Roche is only playing 15 minutes a game than I would suspect, his skills don't translate to the A-10. I would also suspect that our team is going to be more of a .500 team last year as well. We know what we have in Goose which is a really good defender and a below average shooting guard on the offensive end of things. We need Roche to beat him out for those minutes for this team to be what we all hope it can be next year. I personally think he will, he has shown us and other BCS programs who wanted him that he can perform at a high level on a college court.

If Roche is only playing 15 minutes a game than I would suspect, his skills don't translate to the A-10. I would also suspect that our team is going to be more of a .500 team last year as well. We know what we have in Goose which is a really good defender and a below average shooting guard on the offensive end of things. We need Roche to beat him out for those minutes for this team to be what we all hope it can be next year. I personally think he will, he has shown us and other BCS programs who wanted him that he can perform at a high level on a college court.
I never said 15 for Roche. I said he can still get 20 minutes even when Goose gets 30, and in games where he is hitting his 3s, I think he will play more than 20. I think Goose does a lot right out there, and is too valuable to not have out there a Iot. I don't see him losing his starting spot to anyone.

I think Goose might be a surprising shooter as well. He shot 30% from deep last year and only attempted 52 threes. I don't expect him to be as good a shooter as Roche given Roche's background - but Goose is not like Cayo that you can lay 10 feet off him and dare him to shoot. I think with more opportunity and work this past off-season - no reason Goose can't shoot 33-35% from deep and shoot 80-100 attempts.

ADVERTISEMENT