ADVERTISEMENT

Bobby Durkin - 2023 Offer

No, nothing specific to cancelations. Just that Ball commitment today without waiting for our scheduled visit could mean the UR visit was canceled. Or maybe he just loved Fairfax that much.
I was thinking the same thing. he spoke very highly of UR in an earlier interview.

So he came a day early? The official visit post on Twitter said UR 9th-11th and that the Drake visit was 6th-8th.
Maybe he hates the Drake?

Reactions: brooklyn brownstone
Gipe liked the post about Durkin visiting, so I’m taking that as a sign he’s actually on campus.
on campus or at least still coming. got to be, right?!
that's pretty huge. exciting weekend. we needed shooting and we've added a ton in this class. include Durkin and this would have to project as one of our best shooting classes ever.

. include Durkin and this would have to project as one of our best shooting classes ever.
Sman, I feel the same way. I know we over hype recruits, and I am as guilty as anyone - I tend to hope for the best - though 97's evaluation based on offers usually pans out.

However, you watch Reed, and for a big strong 6'8 guy, he is ultra confident and really strokes the 3. Harp may have been similar, but Golden, ANO, Geriot, and even TJ were not shooting it like that coming out of h.s. I don't remember a big man recruit that could shoot it like that.

Durkin, as the article I linked indicates, just seems the ball is going through every time. Tanner looks like a shooter, shoots from deep, can get the shot off with his size and release - looks very very translatable to the college level. If we land Durkin, that is a potentially all time shooting class. NOW, the issue I worry about is can these guys play defense. But having 6'7 to 6'8 guys that can shoot it like that can present a ton of issues for the other teams defense.

I feel like , just my thinking, that Davidson might be the team to beat here. Rice - great school, absolute basketball wasteland, terrible attendance. Drake - I think George Costanza says it best above. Davidson - Mooney and Gipe - you really need to win this battle verse JUNIOR at Davidson. Yes, dad was a coaching legend, but the son has no track record.

Welp, Gipe and Mooney struck out vs English. Really think we have a ton to offer over GMU - English is a dynamic upcoming coach, but that is a double edge sword. He had a sub .500 year and got a lot of hype and attention. If he is over .500 this next season, could very well be in demand. Soooo, the option is he is going to stink and stay, or be good and leave. Maybe two good seasons - one for Ball - and English gone.

He probably sold him on: " you remind me of me - I can show you how to get to the NBA".

Back to Durkin - really looking for Mooney and Gipe to win this one vs McKillop Junior.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Welp, Gipe and Mooney struck out vs English. Really think we have a ton to offer over GMU - English is a dynamic upcoming coach, but that is a double edge sword. He had a sub .500 year and got a lot of hype and attention. If he is over .500 this next season, could very well be in demand. Soooo, the option is he is going to stink and stay, or be good and leave. Maybe two good seasons - one for Ball - and English gone.

He probably sold him on: " you remind me of me - I can show you how to get to the NBA".

Back to Durkin - really looking for Mooney and Gipe to win this one vs McKillop Junior.
I think he sold him on the slogan “GMU is going to A. Ball!”

With both of these guys even if we don't land them now, there is always the possibility of a transfer a few years out. So maybe that is now factoring into our strategy as well.

I can't find anything on Twitter about Durkin's previously planned visit to Rice this past weekend. I don't even see his name mentioned anywhere on their message board.

Looks like the Davidson visit is a go...though it's not supposed to start until Friday.

• Sad
Reactions: spiderman
Shallow as hell to judge anyone based on appearance....but this guy has the "Davidson look". Hope to be wrong...it happens with some degree of frequency.

Reactions: gospidersgo
Davidson just offered another 2023 wing. According to Verbal Commits, they’ve now offered five SG/SF guys in that class with one of those already committed to them. I know they say you can never have too many shooters, but the Wildcats seem to be testing that theory.

love that he doesn't need to bring the ball down on the catch and shoot. The wide left elbow on the form of the jumper, really like that. Really hope we get this guy.

Reactions: urfan1
He should be in Bradenton now, right in the bulls-eye of Ian. They're moving everybody at IMG into the basketball/tennis facility on campus. Or maybe he and others headed out in advance of the storm.

SG Parker Friedrichsen has committed to Notre Dame over Davidson.

I keep seeing 6'6" for Durkin. I usually think guys look smaller than they're listed. he looks bigger.

Shallow as hell to judge anyone based on appearance....but this guy has the "Davidson look". Hope to be wrong...it happens with some degree of frequency.
Just had the feeling.

He is skilled enough to bedevil us for years. Will enjoy seeing him play, but wish it would have been in a Spider uniform.

Reactions: Long Island Spiders
I did want Durkin. he's a highly skilled shooter and I love that we made shooting a focus in this class. I'm not downplaying this outcome just because he chose Davidson.

I just think there's a lot of overlap with Durkin and Tanner (and Noyes even just one class ahead). and from the highlights I just don't see the athleticism to be strong defensively. I still wanted him ... to compete with Tanner and possibly play with him down the road. but if we're right with Tanner we're in good shape. it's still a great class.

Let's review here: Since our season ended in March, the past 6 months, we have seen Grace, Goose, and Crabtree come back, we have added Quinn, Roche, and Bigelow as transfers, and have received commitments from Smith, Reed, and Tanner. This has been our best off season ever as far as getting talent in here, and I think it is beyond crazy to get on Gipe, Mooney, or anyone else associated with our program for not landing Durkin.

Let's review here: Since our season ended in March, the past 6 months, we have seen Grace, Goose, and Crabtree come back, we have added Quinn, Roche, and Bigelow as transfers, and have received commitments from Smith, Reed, and Tanner. This has been our best off season ever as far as getting talent in here, and I think it is beyond crazy to get on Gipe, Mooney, or anyone else associated with our program for not landing Durkin.
I totally agree with two 👍👍.

Reactions: BillyWayne
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT