ADVERTISEMENT

8-24?

We only lost by 12, what more could you want? That’s basically a win for us, how can you expect us to beat them

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Is there a worst rivalry coach in sports history than Mooney? Think we have the standard bearer. Nobody has gotten as many games as Moon against their arch rival & done worse. Please find 1. Think impossible. But I’m serious genuinely curious. Certainly at an A10 level or higher. Half as many games count in football. There’s gotta be someone at least close right?

We should publicize this. This is right in the UR marketing playbook…the little engine that could. & ppl love to watch Sisyphus only to have that rock roll all the way back down the hill.

So few college coaches in any sport have their jobs for 18 years at the same place, and the ones who do typically win at a much higher clip, with a few exceptions. Maybe there's a women's soccer coach somewhere who has a worse rivalry record, but hard to imagine in D1 men's basketball there could be one.

Only Mooney could make it embarrassing to have a UR rather than VCU alumni sticker on your car. That’s almost IMPOSSIBLE to do!

It’s not terrible, but it’s also not great.

Fortunately we don’t always play programs that are better than we are.

Reactions: nathanw19
Is there a worst rivalry coach in sports history than Mooney? Think we have the standard bearer. Nobody has gotten as many games as Moon against their arch rival & done worse. Please find 1. Think impossible. But I’m serious genuinely curious. Certainly at an A10 level or higher. Half as many games count in football. There’s gotta be someone at least close right?

We should publicize this. This is right in the UR marketing playbook…the little engine that could. & ppl love to watch Sisyphus only to have that rock roll all the way back down the hill.

Not sure why this got merged. Sure there r similar threads, there is even a new Fire Mooney. Yet this is the one merged. Ok then. I actually found it to be a unique topic. It wasn’t about Mooney vs VCU, it was about being the BEST of ALL Time.

Anyway I come back to it bc I had put a team at the office on assignment. Crackpot group of MIT eggheads they ran all types of algorithms & their research would put Elias to shame. Well not exactly but regardless they came up with 2 comparisons.

1. John Cooper. Former OSU football coach. Went 2-10-1 against Michigan. I’m told that’s bad. But Mooney would have been fired 5 years ago if he were Cooper. Advantage Moon.

2. All coaches of the Washington Generals. I saw them lose personally in 1984 at the Capital Centre in Landover, MD. Curly Neal & Meadowlark Lemon beotches. Think I saw Hogan v Rowdy Roddy Piper in 85 same spot. Here’s the thing…I’m told technically the Generals are paid to lose…but idk some would say thats not much different than UR.

Hmmm, I am guessing merging of threads is some kind of attempt by 05 to minimize the negative look of the board. I do agree GK that the Mooney Worst Rivalry coach was a unique topic which interested many.

I agree tho considering the duplication we already have it was a little strange. But admining can be a tough thankless responsibility. Personally when u r the best or worst of ALL time - sort of like Gilly deserves props for his record - it should be highlighted. This was unique independent thread imo & something to think about.

I concede there could be someone worse certainly at a low level like a D2. Or maybe someone beats Moon at a A10 level or higher. But I’m skeptical. Can anyone think of someone worse who has gotten 31 games + vs their top rival? Hard to imagine.

Cooper really seems the closest. But he got 13 games. 16 would be equivalent for football factoring 1 game a year.

Reactions: Eight Legger
The other day something made me think about how many years of sustained, straight winning would be needed to pull MoonPie to a .500 record vs VCU. Assuming we play each other twice a year in conference and once every four years in the A10 tournament and not taking into account anything that could happen the rest of this season if we won EVERY game against them his record would reach .500 sometime in the 2030-2031 season 🤢

Reactions: Spiders4ever
Not sure why this got merged. Sure there r similar threads, there is even a new Fire Mooney. Yet this is the one merged. Ok then. I actually found it to be a unique topic. It wasn’t about Mooney vs VCU, it was about being the BEST of ALL Time.

Anyway I come back to it bc I had put a team at the office on assignment. Crackpot group of MIT eggheads they ran all types of algorithms & their research would put Elias to shame. Well not exactly but regardless they came up with 2 comparisons.

1. John Cooper. Former OSU football coach. Went 2-10-1 against Michigan. I’m told that’s bad. But Mooney would have been fired 5 years ago if he were Cooper. Advantage Moon.

2. All coaches of the Washington Generals. I saw them lose personally in 1984 at the Capital Centre in Landover, MD. Curly Neal & Meadowlark Lemon beotches. Think I saw Hogan v Rowdy Roddy Piper in 85 same spot. Here’s the thing…I’m told technically the Generals are paid to lose…but idk some would say thats not much different than UR.
See and we all thought Mooney wouldn't set any records here!

Re: merging, no need for every thread to be same topic with slightly different riff.

Did merge the two fire Mooney threads. Has nothing to do with board tenor though. V U te always has a lot of cleanup and after editing ~50 posts over last week, got tired of it.

Reactions: urfan1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT