ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal Season

Yep, VCU got played. It's a wacky wild world out there. They are certainly very butt hurt over this. I get it, but I think it is extra hurtful since they have not done well in the portal - so they are focusing on this guy. They are acting like unbelievable that he would leave the great program VCU for the pit of SC. Newsflash, UofSC has a dynamic coach, coming of a very good season, and I'm sure flush with NIL cash. So yes, they are not able to offer an ugly gym, that only sells out vs Richmond, but hey they used to have Shaka!

SC could show him Five Points. VCU could show him a Palestine protest.

A few VCUers acted like JayNel was given a hard time by Richmond fans. Multiply that by 20 and u will get close to how VCU treated JayNel and this guy who flipped to SC.

It looks like “That’s a wrap!” On the UC Irvine player…
After cutting the list to 5 three weeks ago, has there been any announcement?

If we add him and the UConn guy to Soulis, just hope there aren’t any 1000 ships…

Says something about you when you name your son Maximus. Wouldn't want to put any parental pressure on him or anything.

Sigh, to each his own.
Wow. That sure is a cheap shot at his parents. Maybe they just like the name. I like the name. Only shows arrogance if the person acts that way. He could be very humble. And the parents could be awesome parents with high character, so I wouldn't judge them without knowing them just because you disagree with their son's name.

I assumed named after Russell Crowe's character in Gladiator. timeline fits. and he was awesome, so ...

per MD's google sheet, there are 67 guys that we know of who we reached out to.
we know we had visits from Beagle, Neskovic, Manon, and Becht.
is that it?

Welp, at this point I am waiting to see if we get Apostolos. There is not a lot out there, but here are some ideas:
Pros
6'7 shooter. Recruited to Uconn as a shooter. We can use another tall shooter. I think Neskovic can stretch the floor.
Putting a lot of my eggs in the Uconn/Dan Hurley as a talent evaluator and recruiter. Seems like this guy showed some pretty big talent for Hurley to go and get him from Greece.
PRACTICE. As I have stated on here before, I think getting game experience at D1 level is very very important in development. BUT, in lieu of that I would think practicing for Hurley, his level of accountability, and against the best players in college the last two years is the next best thing. So, I would have some hope that would convert into game readiness in the A10.
On the recruiting side, we have good opportunity and need. Richmond sounds like it has a good size Greek contingent. One interview I saw when asked about Greek food around Storrs he said: "It is bad". Hopefully we found some good restaurants to take him to if he visited. This guy is English as a second language.
Another pro: I think just sticking it out under Hurley, in a new land, for two years without much court time shows some tenacity and character.
Cons:
Apparently just did not show quite enough in practice to get time. though i remember when he was recruited and Hurley basically indicated year one would not be any/much playing time - I think there was talk of red shirt.

In any case, a lot of unknowns, but think he would be well worth a shot if we can land him.
Other con: He has some competition on campus as the "tall hunky Greek guy" :):)

no idea if he's any good, but we're running out of prospects!
my concern is he basically came in with the walkons. we wouldn't be excited with a UConn walkon.
but maybe he was just buried behind really talented guys.

that said, all we have is that Gipe (?) followed him on Insta. that's not a lot.

That is definitely the case. I mean Uconn just went on an unprecedented run winning by wide margins in March, with draft projections showing 4 guys drafted coming up.

that said, all we have is that Gipe (?) followed him on Insta. that's not a lot.
According to my board friend MDspider8 - our official Spiders MBB account only follows current players AND Apostolos 👀👀👀👀👀👁️👁️👀👀👁️👁️

Reactions: gospidersgo
no idea if he's any good, but we're running out of prospects!
my concern is he basically came in with the walkons. we wouldn't be excited with a UConn walkon.

FWIW, the official team account, Gipe, and Boyden all follow him on insta. The team account is what is pretty notable for me. They don’t follow any players besides those affiliated with the program.

That is definitely the case. I mean Uconn just went on an unprecedented run winning by wide margins in March, with draft projections showing 4 guys drafted coming up.
clearly great players ahead of him. that doesn't guarantee he's good though.
I think it's a great sign we follow him and I'll be excited if we get him. but like you've pointed out, there's almost nothing to watch on him so I'll temper my enthusiasm until we start hearing more.

remember he is not a US citizen, likely here on visa so have added delay of getting the move approved. Cannot see why it would not go through, just takes time.

It may make a defeat of the carpet baggers even a bigger event.

Back to Apostolos. I think it was mentioned above that his eventual transfer (wherever that may be) has to get OK'd as he would be on a student visa. Also, it was a story that Zack Edey missed out on a lot of NIL due to his visa status. So it would seem Apostolos is not eligible for NIL? Would think there are loopholes around it, but maybe that helps us? based on little playing time so far, probably not going to get a big $NIL bag anyway, but wonder if that plays a part in his decision - i.e. he just makes a decision based on normal factors and not $?

Last edited:
Back to Apostolos. I think it was mentioned above that his eventual transfer (wherever that may be) has to get OK'd as he would be on a student visa. Also, it was a story that Zack Edey missed out on a lot of NIL due to his visa status. So it would seem Apostolos is not eligible for NIL? Would think there are loopholes around it, but maybe that helps us? based on little playing time so far, probably not going to get a big $NIL bag anyway, but wonder if that plays a part in his decision - i.e. he just makes a decision based on normal factors and not $?

yeah was also wondering how Nova and Max Shulga were handling the international NIL complexities. I am assuming they found a way ..

Reactions: urfan1
There is a bill currently making its way through Congress to clarify nil for non-citizens. It is strange though that more CBB writers are not talking about it. Maybe it is an awkward question to ask a coach “Hey congrats on the transfer - isn’t what the nil collective did potentially illegal?”

Couple of guys MD had identified based on Gipe's follows committed today:

- Ricardo Wright to Kennesaw State
- Julius Rollins to Western Illinois

Also Phillip Russell said a few days ago that he's down to Cal, Washington State, or returning to UT Arlington.
Quick pivot for Russell, who is headed to VCU. Sounds like they went after him following Thomas' defection.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
This offseason, may give a pretty good grade. Thinking B+ or A- so far.

Lost Dji, Bigs, Quinn, Noyes, King, Smith, Harris

Add: Robinson, McGlothin, Dusan, Apostolos, GW3, Beagle

If we land a guy that combines all the positive attributes of Harris, Bigelow and Dji in the final pick up - toughness, athleticism, defense, rebounding, 3pt shooting - will consider the A+

Reactions: gcarter52
We’ve added 4 guys who can score, it seems. Adding a defensive minded glue guy who can board is all I can think of as a need.

Hell, add another shooter and let’s bomb 40 threes a game!

Reactions: Section9.RowD
This offseason, may give a pretty good grade. Thinking B+ or A- so far.

Lost Dji, Bigs, Quinn, Noyes, King, Smith, Harris

Add: Robinson, McGlothin, Dusan, Apostolos, GW3, Beagle

If we land a guy that combines all the positive attributes of Harris, Bigelow and Dji in the final pick up - toughness, athleticism, defense, rebounding, 3pt shooting - will consider the A+
Time will tell, but I think already an A!

We’ve added 4 guys who can score, it seems. Adding a defensive minded glue guy who can board is all I can think of as a need.

Hell, add another shooter and let’s bomb 40 threes a game!
1 a minute and make ‘em all!
40 for 40 for 40…

Reactions: urfan1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT