ADVERTISEMENT

2024 NIT

Honestly, the way they've restructured the NIT to give auto bids and home games to sub .500 teams from so-called "power" conferences is all the more reason to boycott the NIT. It has become that much more meaningless. No interest whatsoever.

Last edited:
Sorry, but it absolutely takes away from a great season. It is now a good season but not a great season. No way you can call it a great season if you don't make the NCAAs. If we have that low of a standard, we need to seriously reevaluate. Pretty confident Dji would agree. If not, I totally misread his competitiveness and determination. No way any of the guys who put their heart and soul into basketball for their whole lives is calling this a great season. And honestly, if they are satisfied and calling this a great season, they are not the level of guys we need on this team. That's not what I saw from the guys, though. I thought they were fantastic players, and you could see how much they wanted it. I hurt with them.
I will say this…go back and look at this board pre season and beginning of the season not a lot on here and out in the wild gave these guys a chance. As I was talking to a coach yesterday. They got everything out of these guys they could get. It’s basketball and it happens. It sucks, and as you mentioned the players are pissed and disappointed and wanted to go to the tourney more than we did. That’s not in question and shouldn’t be. We were 15-3 and won the reg season. We didn’t make some adjustments and didn’t hit shots. Refs were horrible but we had a chance. There is no winning with some of you up here. But let’s not sit up here and act like it wasn’t a good season or great season. My heart breaks for Dji and the others bc I know how hard they have worked. I’ll die on the hill of having an amazing season this year when not many thought it. I also never said the players thought it was great season. If some of yall want to call this season a failure that’s on yall and may be par for the course for some. I’m extremely proud of this team, my son and the staff. It is certainly not the ending we wanted but if we get another shot in the NIT hopefully fans will back this team but I certainly will! 🕷️🏀

I will say this…go back and look at this board pre season and beginning of the season not a lot on here and out in the wild gave these guys a chance. As I was talking to a coach yesterday. They got everything out of these guys they could get. It’s basketball and it happens. It sucks, and as you mentioned the players are pissed and disappointed and wanted to go to the tourney more than we did. That’s not in question and shouldn’t be. We were 15-3 and won the reg season. We didn’t make some adjustments and didn’t hit shots. Refs were horrible but we had a chance. There is no winning with some of you up here. But let’s not sit up here and act like it wasn’t a good season or great season. My heart breaks for Dji and the others bc I know how hard they have worked. I’ll die on the hill of having an amazing season this year when not many thought it. I also never said the players thought it was great season. If some of yall want to call this season a failure that’s on yall and may be par for the course for some. I’m extremely proud of this team, my son and the staff. It is certainly not the ending we wanted but if we get another shot in the NIT hopefully fans will back this team but I certainly will! 🕷️🏀
Preach brother. I will always look back on this season as one of pleasant surprise and enjoyment. Even if we didn't get to the mountaintop.

Are we better off than last night's 50/50 odds u gave
I don't think so - with Dayton losing, a bid is stolen in the NCAA which has a trickle down effect to the NIT.

I think we make it - but there is still a chance we don't. If this was previous years and the NIT didn't have this NET agreement with the P6's - then I would say we are a lock. But now - this agreement makes me think they are going to load up the NIT with p6 schools, even after the top 2 non-NCAA teams in the NET make it.

It will all be how they handle teams from P6 with similar NET to mid-majors, but different records.

Example - today we are 74 in NET. Likely to stay about there - give or take 2-3 spots. Our record is 23-9 and our QUAD 1 is 1-3. Who will they take if selected between us and NC State. NET right now of 69. Record of 20-14 and Quad 1 of 2-8. This is assuming right now UVA, Pitt, and Wake are still on bubble. Assume 1 of them makes it - other 2 go to NIT, NC State would be 3rd team. Boston College - NET 80. Beat us head to head. 19-15. Quad 1 2-7.

I don't like the NET, but what concerns mean is that the outright language from both the NCAA selection committee and NIT that they will be relying it just means they CAN use it to pick p6 schools over mid-majors. And the recent trend in college sports as a whole is a movement towards these power leagues and leave everyone else behind.

Reactions: spider fan
It was a great season, really liked our guys, the effort they put forth, and the manner in which they carried themselves. Frankly, I liked this team a hell of a lot better than the 2022 team that went to the NCAA. This team overachieved and grinded out wins often time against teams with better/deeper rosters than what we had.

The 2022 team made the NCAA thanks to the miracle run at the A-10 tourney, but that team prior to that run, underachieved massively. Picked first, finished 6th, thought they could just turn it on and out talent other teams. Give me Jordan, Dji, Bigs, Hunt, Quinn any day. Ballers.

And yeah, we all know, Mooney is not a great day manager of the team. Not new, bit us in the ass again.

I don't think so - with Dayton losing, a bid is stolen in the NCAA which has a trickle down effect to the NIT.

I think we make it - but there is still a chance we don't. If this was previous years and the NIT didn't have this NET agreement with the P6's - then I would say we are a lock. But now - this agreement makes me think they are going to load up the NIT with p6 schools, even after the top 2 non-NCAA teams in the NET make it.

It will all be how they handle teams from P6 with similar NET to mid-majors, but different records.

Example - today we are 74 in NET. Likely to stay about there - give or take 2-3 spots. Our record is 23-9 and our QUAD 1 is 1-3. Who will they take if selected between us and NC State. NET right now of 69. Record of 20-14 and Quad 1 of 2-8. This is assuming right now UVA, Pitt, and Wake are still on bubble. Assume 1 of them makes it - other 2 go to NIT, NC State would be 3rd team. Boston College - NET 80. Beat us head to head. 19-15. Quad 1 2-7.

I don't like the NET, but what concerns mean is that the outright language from both the NCAA selection committee and NIT that they will be relying it just means they CAN use it to pick p6 schools over mid-majors. And the recent trend in college sports as a whole is a movement towards these power leagues and leave everyone else behind.

But it's easier to get into the NIT than it was. In previous years it was harder, we r not competing with like 10 auto bid teams from lower leagues. I'm really surprised anyone would dispute that.

Also they r doing everything they can to hold onto P6 teams. I think they know they'll be opt outs. Look at Memphis, they aren't even p6 and Penny doesn't want to play. Idk what happens I have to see how it plays out in years 1 and 2 to see trends, but I do expect opt outs. p6 teams are not excited about NIT. even if they wanted more p6 teams they won't be able to load up on them. I hope p6 plays bc it's better for NIT and maybe out of a feeling of responsbility to the game (in this era probably not).

I agree with this. At the start of this season, I thought NIT was the ceiling for this team. Even after OOC - still thought that. But your expectations can change during the season. This team surprised us and everyone in the league and won 8 in a row to start A10 play and then beat Dayton - nationally ranked on our home floor. So by mid February - it wasn't crazy or wrong to think 1) this team could win the A10, 2) This could be an NCAA year.

And any team that wins their conference regular season and then loses the conference tourney - it will be a disappointment. We were ranked 1, which means we were at least expected to make the finals. We lost first game. So its not wrong of people on here to be upset or feel like we underachieved at the end. I am sure the team even thinks this.

I agree with this. At the start of this season, I thought NIT was the ceiling for this team. Even after OOC - still thought that. But your expectations can change during the season. This team surprised us and everyone in the league and won 8 in a row to start A10 play and then beat Dayton - nationally ranked on our home floor. So by mid February - it wasn't crazy or wrong to think 1) this team could win the A10, 2) This could be an NCAA year.

And any team that wins their conference regular season and then loses the conference tourney - it will be a disappointment. We were ranked 1, which means we were at least expected to make the finals. We lost first game. So its not wrong of people on here to be upset or feel like we underachieved at the end. I am sure the team even thinks this.
By let’s not forget that inspite of it all, we had a great season and we should be and are proud of how our team competed!!

Can't remember who did the prediction - but we were picked to finish only ahead of Rhody preseason. Resigned myself to an awful season but loyalty and enjoying being at the Robins Center because of the fans I would be with meant remaining a season ticket holder. Then pleasantly surprised with the wins we racked up. Expectations increase and from some of the posts on the board bitterness ensues when expectations are not met. Proud of the team and yes I would like to be crowned National Champion but not going negative because we didn't make it. Instead thankful for what the team achieved. As far as NIT the changes geared to increase P6 participation make it less enticing because of unlikelihood of initial home game. Think we will be selected and will enjoy following our progress.

Last edited:

Name the 32 teams that will make the NIT ahead of us.

NIT Bracketology has us as a 5-seed. I would imagine we're somewhere between 3-5.

Agree. expectations can change. for example, if u had a ncaa type team and u lost your 2 best players to injury during season u won't keep the same expectation. we were 8-0 in A10, finished 7-4, with a crushing loss as 1 seed. we trended down. The grit was great, the effort was great, some amazing individual performances, but the results weren't ultimately great. It's a byproduct of the admin and AD settling. we have that little ol' richmond we can only expect so much attitude. PQ said it out loud. So now they want to sell u on what is great and create a new definition of great.

Sure, they did better than preseason projections, but that is not how you classify a season. .500 would have been better than preseason projections I would presume given we were projected 11th. Would .500 have been a great season because it exceeded expectation? I sure as hell hope it wouldn't be considered a great season or even good season.

I think we had a good season but certainly not a great season. NCAAs are the sole barometer on the success of a season. You can't get to a great season without that.

I loved watching this team. They were a determined, really fun bunch. But did they achieve a great season? Absolutely not. They were capable of much more, including a deep run in the NCAAs. That is why missing the goal is so much harder to accept. That and this perfect storm doesn't strike often enough, unfortunately. I hurt like hell, so like I said earlier, I can only imagine how much they are hurting because I know they wanted it badly.

The real gut check is that historically we know that we struggle to make the NCAA's under Mr. CotY so these chances do not come by often that the opportunity is there for the taking. So when they are there we need to take advantage of them because you don't know how long we will be waiting for the stars to align again. We are not the program across the city that makes it, what, every other year at worst? They have the luxury of saying maybe next year. We don't.

I've contributed to this conversation, too, but honestly, the men are done. The women have NCAA games coming up. Let's refocus. Go Lady Spiders!

Reactions: WCUR11
That is good to hear - but again, PQ and Mooney should have fixed it way before then - they had the power. I feel like this is more of a "college landscape" paradigm shift, than one specific to Richmond. Have not heard one report about a player at any college (UVA, Dook, Davidson, etc, etc) getting turned down by admissions in the last 5 years. In fact I can only remember hearing of one player - Chad Baker-Mazara (our old friend from Duquesne now on AUburn) becoming academically inelgible - and that was at SDSU b/c he had to make up a class in the summer and would not show up once. So I think this is not something admin gets kudos for.

yep college landscape shift. we had to remember gallipoli is guy who said Jordan King would not have been admitted if Keith Gill was AD. lol. One he's all academic but that shift was organic it was happening regardless. Yes we've had some dumb terrible admissions denials in past like AD Vassallo, Bernard, Burgess?, JJ Avila but different landscape too. btw I don't know Keith Gill at all but he was named to NCAA mens basketball selection committee twice so I think he has some respect at large.

That would never be the stated goal. If it was, yeah, absolutely, I would be out.
Kind of starting to feel like it’s not necessarily the goal but is definitely viewed as a successful season here and I can’t get behind that.

Vegas I agree with a lot you say. I’m taking you’re speaking of Dji in pt1. I agree with you. But I’m not sure I agree with you IF you’re to referring to Dji on pt 2 and him being on an island. I haven’t watched the replay yet but I don’t think Reynolds score a lot on Dji. Maybe 3-5 if that. BC of all the switching. I would have loved to see us have Dji face guard Reynolds bc I just don’t remember him getting off on Dji. Someone can correct me bc I’m airport and won’t get to watch until later. Neal just isn’t fast enough when he was coming off the screens. I thought turning point was when we took DLo and Neal out up 10. Should have patted the gas at that point. But doesn’t take away from a great season. NIT isn’t what we wanted but it’s probably what we got, so everyone should support these guys bc they deserve that from us. 🕷️🏀

Yes, speaking of Dji in both parts.

I think i was clearly generalizing way too much because i agree with every single point you made. I certainly wasn't disparaging Dji in any way.

Perhaps the point poorly made.... further highlights the problem. So we switched and left defenders, worse than Dji, on an island :). I agree with your point about Neal. I think Reynolds hit 2-3 short baseline jumpers over him in addition to the drive/and-1 later on.

Im all for the face guarding or just leave Dji on him and switch everything else.

Anyway, I hope they keep their heads up and go win this thing..... I know thats the character of these guys (as it has been all year), and I look forward to watching.

Anyway, thank you for your contribution on here, Dji's loyalty to the program, and hope if its in the cards for him that he comes back for a final season.

Yes, speaking of Dji in both parts.

I think i was clearly generalizing way too much because i agree with every single point you made. I certainly wasn't disparaging Dji in any way.

Perhaps the point poorly made.... further highlights the problem. So we switched and left defenders, worse than Dji, on an island :). I agree with your point about Neal. I think Reynolds hit 2-3 short baseline jumpers over him in addition to the drive/and-1 later on.

Im all for the face guarding or just leave Dji on him and switch everything else.

Anyway, I hope they keep their heads up and go win this thing..... I know thats the character of these guys (as it has been all year), and I look forward to watching.

Anyway, thank you for your contribution on here, Dji's loyalty to the program, and hope if its in the cards for him that he comes back for a final season.
Appreciate the kind words…tbh haven’t talked about next season. It’s hard seeing your child so down after a great season who wants to go the tourney more than anyone could imagine. I think if we would have made Dji stay on Reynolds he prob wouldn’t have got off. But we didn’t and so goes college basketball. 🕷️🏀

You complaining all season about the officiating is like folks here complaining about mediocre Mooney. Both have been going on for a long time and neither will change. In fact that's Mooneys biggest problem. He's been coaching the same way for so long, that every program in the A10 knows him inside and out. Kinda like when I was in school and our fraternity had a book on every professor. We just passed the info on to the next class.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
You complaining all season about the officiating is like folks here complaining about mediocre Mooney. Both have been going on for a long time and neither will change. In fact that's Mooneys biggest problem. He's been coaching the same way for so long, that every program in the A10 knows him inside and out. Kinda like when I was in school and our fraternity had a book on every professor. We just passed the info on to the next class.
I do think the small guard plan has run its course. Gilly was super quick and smart and a good shot. Anderson had some hops and a great shot. But teams have learned. Defend the three pointer with taller defenders on our undersized guards. If they drive don’t bail them out with a foul….just stay close and swat the shot away at the rim.

I-M - I tend to agree. Definitely love watching the little guys. Kendall Anthony and now Jordan King have been special. But you do lose something on defense. I posted some highlights of David Gonzalvez. Guards like him and Curtis Blair could use their size and strength to get to the basket at will. Its nice just to have that positional size on defense too, it does make a difference. We saw the P6 sized strong guards bother King this season. Its just tough to have that deficit. That said, we have been able to get some really good and skilled guards b/c of lack of height. I don't mind having one in the backcourt. But playing 30+ minutes with 2 is tough, especially when you step up in weight class. Still looking for huge things from Tyne and DLo next year, just want another big guard that can play to go along with them.

Reactions: I-M-UR
If our guys are playing, I'm interested. I don't care if it's the Vegas 16.

I can still be disappointed though.
This is where we differ. If the Spiders were playing in a post season national tournament of pick-up sticks, I'd be all in! But I don't give a rat's ass about a post season tourny that is not for a National Championship among the best teams.

Reactions: urfan1
Vegas, this is what drives us all crazy - points 2 and 3.

Mooney has done a really good job in the portal last couple years, nice work. BUT how many years did we not even pursue transfers, finally getting TJ and opened his eyes. And I don't want to hear admissions, we have not insider knowledge directly on this. AND if it was an issue SHAME on PQ and Mooney - the two most powerful men in the athletics department for not fixing it!!!!
Mooney also did a great job incorporating all the transfers in this year, narrowing the rotation, and building chemistry. Super job!
Steady up tick on overall defensive efficiency and energy since Boyden arrived. Again, super job by Mooney.

But 2 and 3 are the kind of things that have held him back and reason only 3 NCAA's in 19 years, which is mind boggling. I was able to log in at work and start watching off and on before half time. I saw a close up of Mooney. I have loved the fire this year, but what I saw was the squeeze the water cup, oh shit, hope the guys will turn this around Mooney. I know, a lot to read from a facial expression - but that is what played out. That is the frustrating part.
I wish he would bring in an experienced coach - and by that I mean one that has a bunch of years head coaching experience - and yes there are guys that are at the point they would now welcome this assistant type role. Boyden and defense has worked out great. Gipe is super on the recruiting trail, but not that guy. Peter - not that guy.
Mooney is not a great game coach. Not all coaches are, they all have strengths and weaknesses. Mooney - great job lately portalling, recruiting (I know subjective - but think two good classes in a row), team building. But not great when things go south and we NEED AN ADJUSTMENT in game. Get this fixed.
Mooney has definitely done a great job in the portal bringing in some very talented players. Really fun, talented team this year! Loved his spirit on the sidelines this year! Seemed to even be having fun! We desperately need more coach's fire! A step in the right direction.

As far as game day coaching, though, he's still terrible. Let Aaron Rousell coach yesterday, and I guarantee we would be playing tomorrow. In fact, we would have already secured at an-large bid if he was our coach. Unfortunately, he turned down my offer! We definitely had the talent this year to be in the NCAAs and probably make a deep run!

Reactions: spider23
All seasons have to end and unfortunately this one ended earlier than most and so the crazy talk begins.

This year’s team achieved something that the Men’s team never had done before and I am glad they celebrated it. The players are the ones who put in the work and played the games. I’m not a big fan of court storming, but again I am glad the Spiders upset Dayton and that the students and the players got to celebrate the victory (happier for the players since the student body is lacking in the school spirit category in my opinion). Both events will be remembered by those who participated for the rest of their lives.

Unfortunately with the highs come the lows and the tournament was the ultimate low. I, a mere season ticket holder, felt terrible after the conclusion of the game and the reason is because I really liked this team. The team had great chemistry, which has been missing for so many years. I’m extra disappointed because next year is back to rebuilding and with the new realities of men’s college basketball it is almost always going to be this way.

Thanks for the memories 2023-2024 team, you sure surprised me.

Soooo you think officiating was great this season? If you do great good for you, I didn’t. You guys complain about non sense on here all the time. Doesn’t change the fact we had a great season. With the possibility of a few more games. This really didn’t have all that much to do with my original post, other than saying we didn’t adjust (in regards to high ball screens for Reynolds) so this response feels kinda salty for no reason. But such is the MBs.

Reactions: urfan1
But it's easier to get into the NIT than it was. In previous years it was harder, we r not competing with like 10 auto bid teams from lower leagues. I'm really surprised anyone would dispute that.

Also they r doing everything they can to hold onto P6 teams. I think they know they'll be opt outs. Look at Memphis, they aren't even p6 and Penny doesn't want to play. Idk what happens I have to see how it plays out in years 1 and 2 to see trends, but I do expect opt outs. p6 teams are not excited about NIT. even if they wanted more p6 teams they won't be able to load up on them. I hope p6 plays bc it's better for NIT and maybe out of a feeling of responsbility to the game (in this era probably not).
I’ve seen several P6 schools…like maybe 4-5 that have already said no today. I think we are in, coaches do too. I know some up here don’t like it and none of should but it’s where we are at. I’m going to support these guys till the very end. I hope everyone will too.

I’ve seen several P6 schools…like maybe 4-5 that have already said no today. I think we are in, coaches do too. I know some up here don’t like it and none of should but it’s where we are at. I’m going to support these guys till the very end. I hope everyone will too.

Yeah I’ve said for months I’d be surprised if no opt outs. We’re in no question imo. Lunardi fail again. The ncaa/nit knew this which is why they changed the rules. It will be interesting if they give auto bids to top 2 from p6 even after opt outs. My feeling is yes they will bc they want a minimum amount of p6 teams and this was the way of ensuring involvement by p6 even if they were weaker p6 teams. But tbd we’ll see.

And we’re not a school to ever say no to NIT. It would have to be extraordinary circumstances. It sucks it’s a major downer but u go and try to win regardless.

I am confident as well. Knowing the make up of this team, they are disappointed but want play more to prove themselves to doubters.
Just terrible the way this ended. They worked so hard to get that conference title then promptly lost any sense of urgency to keep winning after that. What a waste of a great effort.

We're definitely in! There's no way the Regular Season Champs get left out of the NIT. And I'm back in too. Extremely disappointed because I think this team could have made a run in the NCAAs, but I can't let the season end on such a horrible note. Let's win the NIT and build portal recruiting for next year! It really helped my spirits to re-watch the Women's A10 championship game! Looking forward to find out where I'm traveling next week to support them! Maybe it'll be close enough in timing and location to go to the Men's NIT game too.

I was pleased with the season and can still be disappointed with the outcome.

NCAA>NIT but doesn’t meant I won’t invest in these guys NIT effort.

Mooney coached a nice season but not a good game in conference tournament. That happens. It happens to him more than it probably should. Still, kudos on highly over performing on the whole.

Popcorn is still stale at the RC.

I will be there, the fat lady has not sang on this season yet.

As much as I and everyone else are disappointed to be playing in the NIT, that's exactly how it should be - a disappointing result. It should be the fallback option when we miss our goal of the NCAA. If we can get in the habit of always making the NIT when we fall a little short of the NCAA, I'll be happy.

What sucks is when we *hope* to make the NIT.

I have our games from the 2022 A10 tournament on my DVR still. If any of you still do as well I’d recommend watching them. It definitely helps.

Soooo you think officiating was great this season? If you do great good for you, I didn’t. You guys complain about non sense on here all the time. Doesn’t change the fact we had a great season. With the possibility of a few more games. This really didn’t have all that much to do with my original post, other than saying we didn’t adjust (in regards to high ball screens for Reynolds) so this response feels kinda salty for no reason. But such is the MBs.

You totally missed my point. Officiating was bad. Mooney is a mediocre in game coach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT