ADVERTISEMENT

2024 NIT

I literally just met Joe Lunardi at the Barclays center subway stop. He says 60/40 chance of NIT bid.

Btw u missed the opportunity to ask Joey Brackets if UR is still paying him for his shitty consulting services just to constantly poo poo us. That’s what I would have asked.

But I’m convinced u were actually talking to a Brooklyn street performer dressed as a Hobbit not Joe Lunardi.

I am going to war with the nit. We should not be in it. Gonna drive me absolutely nuts if they put tech and Richmond together. Game result will not count on either side no matter what happens because the nit is not a real tournament.
Go the F’n corner…you are nothing but negative. Don’t go to war…just go away.

Go the F’n corner…you are nothing but negative. Don’t go to war…just go away.
Sorry but some of us are tired of 3 ncaa tournaments in 19 years and constantly being let down. We can do better here and it’s time to go do that. Hyping up the nit doesn’t help advance the program which is ultimately what it’s about.

• Angry
Reactions: Gallipoli
Look I think NET is crap, I’ve been pushing our at large viability hard b4 the goo moos loss, and I agree w Moon re: ncaa tourney expansion.

But take it easy on all these teams being great and the A10 is great. It’s not. It’s solid that’s it. But it has to perform better with bigger ooc wins and we’ve seen the trend of a10 for years now. He’s going to stand up for his league as he should but we follow things too.

Don't belittle yourself. Cheer up. Drink the kool-aid, and remember the future is bright.
I’m pissed bc I am the definitiin of insanity. I was there in Brooklyn for Charlotte, I was there today, i was in AC when SJU throttled us after we got a bye in Moon year 3. I was there when Odell Hodge fouled Mike Hodges in the Richmond Coliseum. I was there when VCU beat us in Pittsburgh and in Barclays and Kendall and TJ’s ncaa dreams ended. I was there when Dayton killed us in BK.

I’m f’ing tired if it all. Over and over.

F the NIT. That should never be UR’s ceiling. F this thread.

Sorry but some of us are tired of 3 ncaa tournaments in 19 years and constantly being let down. We can do better here and it’s time to go do that. Hyping up the nit doesn’t help advance the program which is ultimately what it’s about.
Some of us are proud of team of our success in 2022 and 2024. This team of players and coaches found a way to win most of the close games - this is not a year to complain.

I was there when Odell Hodge fouled Mike Hodges in the Richmond Coliseum.

This was my freshman year. We were in the front row of the student section, on the floor under the basket, and almost assaulted Paparo as he ran off the floor right beside us.... with his whistle down his throat.

I don't comment much .... but three things have stood out to me in the last couple of days (one prior to today... and two re: the game today):

1. We were the best defensive team in the league this year. How exactly is the best defensive player on the best defensive team in the league left off of the All-Defensive team? I don't give a sh*t that he was the most improved player in the league. Somehow that disqualifies him for other, proper recognition?

2. As good as he was this year, he was left on an island today against arguably the best offensive player in the league. I find it hard to swallow that with Reynolds heating up towards the end of the game that we didn't have a plan in place to run two guys at him to get the ball out of his hands and force someone else to beat us. I'm really proud of the effort and the guys played hard, but the fact that there was no Plan 'B' in this situation i find hard to accept... it was almost like since we beat them in Richmond that there was no consideration that any adjustments would be needed at any point. I just don't accept the answer that we're gonna play them straight up and see what happens. He was scoring from everywhere. Who's their second option? The kids a freshman. Let him beat us. If he scores 35, so be it.

3. I thought the entire game turned when we refused to take a time out before the under 8 timeout and split the game up a bit .... when they were starting to come back on us.

I hesitate to post because I know everyone is gonna pile on points 2 and 3.... but I'm proud of the guys ... they've played their asses off this year..... and they deserve to play more ball this year and can still do something special.

I’m pissed bc I am the definitiin of insanity. I was there in Brooklyn for Charlotte, I was there today, i was in AC when SJU throttled us after we got a bye in Moon year 3. I was there when Odell Hodge fouled Mike Hodges in the Richmond Coliseum. I was there when VCU beat us in Pittsburgh and in Barclays and Kendall and TJ’s ncaa dreams ended. I was there when Dayton killed us in BK.

I’m f’ing tired if it all. Over and over.

F the NIT. That should never be UR’s ceiling. F this thread.
To quote the great Bard of Olde, Bill Clinton, "I feel your pain.". Now drink your kool-aid you will feel better.

This was my freshman year. We were in the front row of the student section, on the floor under the basket, and almost assaulted Paparo as he ran off the floor right beside us.... with his whistle down his throat.

I don't comment much .... but three things have stood out to me in the last couple of days (one prior to today... and two re: the game today):

1. We were the best defensive team in the league this year. How exactly is the best defensive player on the best defensive team in the league left off of the All-Defensive team? I don't give a sh*t that he was the most improved player in the league. Somehow that disqualifies him for other, proper recognition?

2. As good as he was this year, he was left on an island today against arguably the best offensive player in the league. I find it hard to swallow that with Reynolds heating up towards the end of the game that we didn't have a plan in place to run two guys at him to get the ball out of his hands and force someone else to beat us. I'm really proud of the effort and the guys played hard, but the fact that there was no Plan 'B' in this situation i find hard to accept... it was almost like since we beat them in Richmond that there was no consideration that any adjustments would be needed at any point. I just don't accept the answer that we're gonna play them straight up and see what happens. He was scoring from everywhere. Who's their second option? The kids a freshman. Let him beat us. If he scores 35, so be it.

3. I thought the entire game turned when we refused to take a time out before the under 8 timeout and split the game up a bit .... when they were starting to come back on us.

I hesitate to post because I know everyone is gonna pile on points 2 and 3.... but I'm proud of the guys ... they've played their asses off this year..... and they deserve to play more ball this year and can still do something special.
FWIW, I agree with every word you posted.

Vegas, this is what drives us all crazy - points 2 and 3.

Mooney has done a really good job in the portal last couple years, nice work. BUT how many years did we not even pursue transfers, finally getting TJ and opened his eyes. And I don't want to hear admissions, we have not insider knowledge directly on this. AND if it was an issue SHAME on PQ and Mooney - the two most powerful men in the athletics department for not fixing it!!!!
Mooney also did a great job incorporating all the transfers in this year, narrowing the rotation, and building chemistry. Super job!
Steady up tick on overall defensive efficiency and energy since Boyden arrived. Again, super job by Mooney.

But 2 and 3 are the kind of things that have held him back and reason only 3 NCAA's in 19 years, which is mind boggling. I was able to log in at work and start watching off and on before half time. I saw a close up of Mooney. I have loved the fire this year, but what I saw was the squeeze the water cup, oh shit, hope the guys will turn this around Mooney. I know, a lot to read from a facial expression - but that is what played out. That is the frustrating part.
I wish he would bring in an experienced coach - and by that I mean one that has a bunch of years head coaching experience - and yes there are guys that are at the point they would now welcome this assistant type role. Boyden and defense has worked out great. Gipe is super on the recruiting trail, but not that guy. Peter - not that guy.
Mooney is not a great game coach. Not all coaches are, they all have strengths and weaknesses. Mooney - great job lately portalling, recruiting (I know subjective - but think two good classes in a row), team building. But not great when things go south and we NEED AN ADJUSTMENT in game. Get this fixed.

Vegas, this is what drives us all crazy - points 2 and 3.

Mooney has done a really good job in the portal last couple years, nice work. BUT how many years did we not even pursue transfers, finally getting TJ and opened his eyes. And I don't want to hear admissions, we have not insider knowledge directly on this. AND if it was an issue SHAME on PQ and Mooney - the two most powerful men in the athletics department for not fixing it!!!!
Mooney also did a great job incorporating all the transfers in this year, narrowing the rotation, and building chemistry. Super job!
Steady up tick on overall defensive efficiency and energy since Boyden arrived. Again, super job by Mooney.

But 2 and 3 are the kind of things that have held him back and reason only 3 NCAA's in 19 years, which is mind boggling. I was able to log in at work and start watching off and on before half time. I saw a close up of Mooney. I have loved the fire this year, but what I saw was the squeeze the water cup, oh shit, hope the guys will turn this around Mooney. I know, a lot to read from a facial expression - but that is what played out. That is the frustrating part.
I wish he would bring in an experienced coach - and by that I mean one that has a bunch of years head coaching experience - and yes there are guys that are at the point they would now welcome this assistant type role. Boyden and defense has worked out great. Gipe is super on the recruiting trail, but not that guy. Peter - not that guy.
Mooney is not a great game coach. Not all coaches are, they all have strengths and weaknesses. Mooney - great job lately portalling, recruiting (I know subjective - but think two good classes in a row), team building. But not great when things go south and we NEED AN ADJUSTMENT in game. Get this fixed.
It was the administration. Things got a lot better once they made structural changes and got rid of Gill. You take this stuff way too seriously.

Last edited:
It was the administration. Things got a lot better once they made structural changes and got rid of Gill.
That is good to hear - but again, PQ and Mooney should have fixed it way before then - they had the power. I feel like this is more of a "college landscape" paradigm shift, than one specific to Richmond. Have not heard one report about a player at any college (UVA, Dook, Davidson, etc, etc) getting turned down by admissions in the last 5 years. In fact I can only remember hearing of one player - Chad Baker-Mazara (our old friend from Duquesne now on AUburn) becoming academically inelgible - and that was at SDSU b/c he had to make up a class in the summer and would not show up once. So I think this is not something admin gets kudos for.

We are tired of you!!
I’m not, who ever 712 is he’s got a point. Mooney is an OK coach making a boat load of money, with every possible facility advantage. Our aspirations used to be, get to the level of Big East basketball now? It seems a winning season is the max goal. The players had a good season this year, but our programs aspirations used to be higher.
We’ll see how motivated the team is playing in the NIT, if we get there. I hope they win it.

Reactions: spider23

Vegas I agree with a lot you say. I’m taking you’re speaking of Dji in pt1. I agree with you. But I’m not sure I agree with you IF you’re to referring to Dji on pt 2 and him being on an island. I haven’t watched the replay yet but I don’t think Reynolds score a lot on Dji. Maybe 3-5 if that. BC of all the switching. I would have loved to see us have Dji face guard Reynolds bc I just don’t remember him getting off on Dji. Someone can correct me bc I’m airport and won’t get to watch until later. Neal just isn’t fast enough when he was coming off the screens. I thought turning point was when we took DLo and Neal out up 10. Should have patted the gas at that point. But doesn’t take away from a great season. NIT isn’t what we wanted but it’s probably what we got, so everyone should support these guys bc they deserve that from us. 🕷️🏀

Last edited:
Vegas I agree with a lot you say. I’m taking you’re speaking of Dji in pt1. I agree with you. But I’m not sure I agree with you IF you’re to referring to Dji on pt 2 and him being on an island. I haven’t watched the replay yet but I don’t think Reynolds score a lot on Dji. Maybe 3-5 if that. BC of all the switching. I would have loved to see us have Dji face guard Reynolds bc I just don’t remember him getting off on Dji. Someone can correct me bc I’m airport and won’t get to watch until later. Neal just isn’t fast enough when he was coming off the screens. I thought turning point was when we took DLo and Neal out up 10. Should have patted the gas at that point. But doesn’t take away from a great season. NIT isn’t what we wanted but it’s probably what we got, so everyone should support these guys bc they deserve that from us. 🕷️🏀
Sorry, but it absolutely takes away from a great season. It is now a good season but not a great season. No way you can call it a great season if you don't make the NCAAs. If we have that low of a standard, we need to seriously reevaluate. Pretty confident Dji would agree. If not, I totally misread his competitiveness and determination. No way any of the guys who put their heart and soul into basketball for their whole lives is calling this a great season. And honestly, if they are satisfied and calling this a great season, they are not the level of guys we need on this team. That's not what I saw from the guys, though. I thought they were fantastic players, and you could see how much they wanted it. I hurt with them.

Reactions: GKiller
The NIT is not the goal or the prize. But it should be a good consolation in those in between years when your rebuilding for the NCAA run. This was not one of those years at the end. I thought at the beginning of the year - would be lucky to get NIT bid. But then once this team got into A10 play and ended up winning the regular season - NCAA was the goal. To fall short - it stinks. But if this team is invited to NIT (think they will be) - they should look to win the whole thing.

There is a difference between NIT participant banner - and NIT Champions banner.

The NIT is not the goal or the prize. But it should be a good consolation in those in between years when you’re rebuilding for the NCAA run. This was not one of those years at the end. I thought at the beginning of the year - would be lucky to get NIT bid. But then once this team got into A10 play and ended up winning the regular season - NCAA was the goal. To fall short - it stinks. But if this team is invited to NIT (think they will be) - they should look to win the whole thing.
There is a difference between NIT participant banner - and NIT Champions banner.
no there really isn’t a difference, losers tournament at the end of the day. I agree it’s sort of ok to be in it when you’re building for success with a younger team but it seems now those “in between years” are our best years even when we have an older, more experienced roster. Idk about y’all but that’s not ok. Need to be making the tournament when we have that type of roster.

The NIT is not the goal or the prize. But it should be a good consolation in those in between years when your rebuilding for the NCAA run. This was not one of those years at the end. I thought at the beginning of the year - would be lucky to get NIT bid. But then once this team got into A10 play and ended up winning the regular season - NCAA was the goal. To fall short - it stinks. But if this team is invited to NIT (think they will be) - they should look to win the whole thing.

There are no in between years any longer. Brand new team each year now days.

So does that mean that now we should just strive for the nit? If that’s the case I won’t even bother supporting this program anymore if that’s the goal.

Sorry, but it absolutely takes away from a great season. It is now a good season but not a great season. No way you can call it a great season if you don't make the NCAAs. If we have that low of a standard, we need to seriously reevaluate. Pretty confident Dji would agree. If not, I totally misread his competitiveness and determination. No way any of the guys who put their heart and soul into basketball for their whole lives is calling this a great season. And honestly, if they are satisfied and calling this a great season, they are not the level of guys we need on this team. That's not what I saw from the guys, though. I thought they were fantastic players, and you could see how much they wanted it. I hurt with them.

It does I agree with you mr. spider. We have to dissociate that from the players. spiderdad hurts for his son. We respect all the players efforts and talents. but we've all been on teams or around teams, the season can lose some luster. That's sports. End of year carries more weight in EVERY team sport. It's not disrespecting the players. 2024 reg season was better than 2022. But 2022 was a better overall season and great. We were 7-4 down stretch this season, 1 & done in A10. But the goo moo game is only 1 of those I even slightly questioned effort. The players also carry the burden of Coach Mooney's 3 for 19 ncaa bids. If we had more NCAAs and not 1 in 13 years, u can accept a littel easier. We won the A10 reg season, it had to be validated by NCAA bid, u can't lose that opportunity, not when it comes so infrequently in Mooney era.

This is 100% not how you handle an NIT bid.

You talk to the guys, and if they want to keep playing, play the games.

Not that simple. Schools make the choice primarily. Ideally it should be the players. But schools have decided to play NIT when players didn't want to, or not played it when majority did. What Penny did stunk so maybe he gets some heat and they do play.

So does that mean that now we should just strive for the nit? If that’s the case I won’t even bother supporting this program anymore if that’s the goal.
That would never be the stated goal. If it was, yeah, absolutely, I would be out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT