ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Baseball Season

Stags are making a weekend swing through the area, playing W&M on Saturday and VCU on Sunday. Tough to make up our game unless they did like a doubleheader against us and VCU on Sunday, but I'm sure they need to get finished up reasonably early to head back to Connecticut.

And/or fully fund the program.
That will never happen.

Of course when your main revenue driver doesn't make NCAA appearances, hard to upgrade or fund the other sports.

Hard to believe this program turned out Brian Jordan, Sean Casey and and #4 overall pick Tim Stauffer.

None of our players were alive, or were in diapers the last time we made the NCAAs.

Pretty sure complacent has a picture of Hardt next to it in the dictionary.

Clearly the school isn't serious about winning. Throwing money at facilities doesn't mean you are serious about winning. Fund the program and ease the academic requirements for some athletes. The school has lost its way and is missing out on a real opportunity to be an extremely unique school with great academics and athletics. There is zero reason Richmond Baseball shouldn't be a force in the A10 if the school valued winning.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Facilities are a great start. But yes, there has to be some follow-through.

I was really hoping Hallock would take a Stanford or Harvard approach to athletics, i e if you're going have them, then try to be the best you can. We could so raise the profile of our university by being outstanding in athletics. We have the money to fully-scholarship all of our athletic programs, we just need the will.

Would need to add at least one, maybe two women's sports if you want to fully scholarship the men's side. We could afford it, of course, but just pointing that out. (Could get away with adding just one, because men's XC really doesn't need the max of 12.6 all by itself.)

Reactions: Eight Legger
Would need to add at least one, maybe two women's sports if you want to fully scholarship the men's side. We could afford it, of course, but just pointing that out. (Could get away with adding just one, because men's XC really doesn't need the max of 12.6 all by itself.)
Volleyball is the obvious answer. I can't believe we don't already have it, there's 12-14 scholarships right there.

I might be missing one or two, but this is my count of D-I schools that don't offer volleyball. Interesting that 5 of the 17 are A-10 schools.

Boston University
Detroit Mercy
Drexel
La Salle
Longwood
Maine
Monmouth
Mount St. Mary's
Oklahoma State
Richmond
Saint Joseph's
St. Bonaventure
UMass
UMass Lowell
Vanderbilt
Vermont
Wagner

Took a few innings to get going, but Spiders took care of business against Canisius, 12–2. Now the Griffs need to get showered up and over to The Diamond for a 5pm game against WVU.

Reactions: urfan1
Spiders handle what seems to be a pretty decent WVU team that previously knocked off a ranked Maryland squad?

Winning pitcher had no walks in five innings. Big key to winning games obviously. Attendance was listed as 773, that's a nice crowd.
Watched the last 5 innings and think I saw two Spider walks but good Spider defense and big play was throwing out the fastest WVU player who tried to score from first on a double and was out at plate on a bang bang play. Score was tied 2-2 at the time. Mathes had bases clearing double and closed out the last two innings on the mound, including getting out of a bases loaded one out jam in the ninth.

Attendance was listed as 773, that's a nice crowd.
Think that's because maybe we're now recording/reporting the folks out in right field whereas maybe we weren't before? Even VCU games last season were only reported in the 500–550 range. Pitt Field official capacity was 600, not sure if they've given an updated number for this season.

Really encouraging weekend from the boys, especially the pitching staff. Weirather and Rodriguez both giving us quality outings this weekend was huge for us. Mathes seems to be comfortable in the closer role, with his second 6 out save of the season.

Spiders went up 11–2 but had to hang on for a 13–10 victory over winless Merrimack. Hipsman with a couple of homers.

The two teams play again tomorrow.

I guess we'll wait to see the weekend rotation to confirm this, but I think Willitts might be hurt now. He hasn't pitched since 2/24, and Woodson mentioned injuries to the pitching staff in one of his recent postgame quotes. If that's true, thats now 2/3 projected weekend starters currently injured. Gotta hope we can get at least one back by conference play.

Spiders went up 11–2 but had to hang on for a 13–10 victory over winless Merrimack. Hipsman with a couple of homers.

The two teams play again tomorrow.
Thank you for monitoring the Merrimack games. :)

Tomorrow starts a run of 5 games in 6 days. Going to be a real test on our pitching depth, especially if Willitts is now sidelined.

Spiders were up 7–3 heading into the ninth, but Rider has tied it up. Still only one out. 🤢

Edit: And now they've added a two-run homer to take the lead. 🤢 🤢 🤢

Bulldoze the baseball field (and deep six the sport, yes it was tons of fun during the NCAA playoff days but that was a good generation ago) and build an natatorium and indoor tennis facility overlooking the lake.
Why don’t we have NCaa sports a school our size and supposedly upper mentality, can compete on a national level?
1aa fb good. Bb with a real coach good. Yes Lax is good and better than mens soccer. Xc should be good for both mw. Tennis with a good facility for mw. Womens lax and field hockey. Mw swimming. What else?

Hard to even wrap my mind around that collapse. Rider's #9 hitter came to the plate three times in the inning. 9 hits, 5 walks, an error, and a passed ball added up to 15 runs.

• Wow
Reactions: Mo 2.0
4 pitchers, 5 walks, 15 runs of which 10 are earned and believe all came after one out.
How can a D1 program have such a poor pitching staff which has been a consistent issue
for several years. Can we not recruit pitchers?

Heading to extras today tied at 6. Spiders fell behind 5–0, came back to take a 6–5 lead thanks to homers from Mathes and Sprague-Lott, but then gave up a solo shot in the 8th to tie it up.

Really thought they had a chance to win it in the ninth, but no luck. Loaded the bases with 1 out thanks to an infield single, walk, and a tough grounder that the shortstop had to dive for and throw to second from his back, but it just pulled the second baseman off the bag. But then a grounder for a force at home and a pop out ended it.

Ugh, Rider pushes one across thanks to a double to the base of the right field wall with two outs, followed by an E4 on a hard hit ball up the middle that deflected out into CF.

And then another double puts runners on second and third. Pitching change time!

Mathes drops the ball on the run on a fly to left-center and two more runs come in. Fifth error of the game for the Spiders.

Spiders have some work to do in their half.

And that's the ballgame, 9–6 Rider...another disappointing loss for the Spiders. Five unearned runs for the Broncs.

Final game is tomorrow morning, moved up to 10am to try to beat the rain.

Interesting game today. Spiders gave up three walks and a grand slam in the first to fall behind, but that homer is the only hit they've given up so far through 7.5.

Subers walked a total of five Broncs in 1.2 innings before getting pulled, then Corso came in to pitch six hitless innings with only one walk (plus a HBP).

Spiders erupted for 9 runs in the fourth where they strung together a bunch of hits including four doubles.

Let's close this one out, guys.

Good morning Spider baseball faithful! Fourth game in a row today, as our Spiders take on Princeton at 2PM. Love a Monday game to start the week off. Let's get to .500 (and hopefully beyond), as this seems like a stretch of very winnable games.

Jeremy Neff is starting his first game of the season for us today - great news for our pitching depth if he can assume a normal workload.

Jeremy Neff is starting his first game of the season for us today - great news for our pitching depth if he can assume a normal workload.
He threw one scoreless inning and now we have another pitcher in. Wasn't listening to the broadcast, so not sure if that was planned or not.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT