ADVERTISEMENT

2022-2023 Season outlook

Very very few teams play more than 8 right now. Many play 6 or 7. Just look at how successful all of the final four teams were with short benches. I like this. Play your best guys big minutes. Let the 7 or 8 guys get comfortable with each other. Many times, more is not better. Unless most of the guys are even, if you are the 9th best option out there, how much time should you really get?
Agree - I think if you have a strong core 7 in the rotation and the 8th guy is like an outsider who gets little minutes most nights, and occasionally more because of injuries, foul trouble, matchups, or maybe they just get hot for a game or two - that is fine. Teams that play an uptempo style and try to wear you out - they will go the 9-10 deep - but that is not our style.

Reactions: VT4700
To me, a big part of coaching at this level should be maximizing every minute that a player spends in a game. So going into a year like this one where we have a lot of guys who *could* see action, it's going to be on the staff to a) identify who should see the most and b) get the other guys used to what their roles will be, at least initially (realizing thing always can change). We may have some guys who get 3 minutes a game. Those need to be 3 productive minutes.

Just using a random example, but if Noyes is going to get 3 minutes a game this year, he needs to have one thing that he is laser-focused on when he's in there. Maybe it's grabbing rebounds. Maybe it's taking charges. Maybe it's making threes. Whatever it is – go in and do that one thing really well. It's up to the coaches to identify that one thing for the guys who are 7+ in the rotation, and then of course it's up to those players to put in the work to excel at that thing.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
To me, a big part of coaching at this level should be maximizing every minute that a player spends in a game. So going into a year like this one where we have a lot of guys who *could* see action, it's going to be on the staff to a) identify who should see the most and b) get the other guys used to what their roles will be, at least initially (realizing thing always can change). We may have some guys who get 3 minutes a game. Those need to be 3 productive minutes.

Just using a random example, but if Noyes is going to get 3 minutes a game this year, he needs to have one thing that he is laser-focused on when he's in there. Maybe it's grabbing rebounds. Maybe it's taking charges. Maybe it's making threes. Whatever it is – go in and do that one thing really well. It's up to the coaches to identify that one thing for the guys who are 7+ in the rotation, and then of course it's up to those players to put in the work to excel at that thing.
Absolutely…be impactful!

Would you consider Brothers the best player for a couple of years there? Otherwise you might have to go back to the early Mooney days when Bucknor was probably ahead of Steenberge in their senior year. But certainly the Skrocki days before that.

Obviously it's debatable in any given year who the "best" player is. There have certainly been years when our leading scorer wasn't a PG or C (last year even!), but you have to judge the whole package.
Without thinking too hard about it I would say Brothers was never our best player... Far too one dimensional for me. But the man had a pretty jump shot no doubt!

Reactions: urfan1
Blake certainly has to be in the conversation his 2 years here. Same for Terry Allen the year before TJ was POY.
Yes, Allen, Blake & Brothers are all reasonable possibilities.
Brothers played with Cedrick Lindsay and Kendall Anthony
Allen with Anthony & Shawndre
Blake with Golden & Gilyard

I'm just not certain who our team was most focused on or who was most important in those years.

Just something I'm wondering about because Tyler seems like such a clear choice this season (at least before the season).

Reactions: gcarter52
Yes, Allen, Blake & Brothers are all reasonable possibilities.
Brothers played with Cedrick Lindsay and Kendall Anthony
Allen with Anthony & Shawndre
Blake with Golden & Gilyard

I'm just not certain who our team was most focused on or who was most important in those years.

Just something I'm wondering about because Tyler seems like such a clear choice this season (at least before the season).
I personally know Jason and believe in Dji, they are going to surprise us as they make those around them better any facilitating scoring opportunities for our teamfacilitate scoring opportunities for their team.

Without thinking too hard about it I would say Brothers was never our best player... Far too one dimensional for me. But the man had a pretty jump shot no doubt!
If you are a shooter and scorer at the off guard position, I would expect you to be pretty much one dimensional. Brothers' job was to score, he was a great shooter, and led us in scoring 2 straight years, shooting 38 and 43% from 3, and high 80s at the line. He has to be in the debate as our best player then, but no doubt, you could make a case for Ced and Kendall as well.

Reactions: urfan1
You’ve got to be kidding me. Blake?! Sometimes I wonder if you watch or just look at the stats sheet after.
You seriously had a problem with Blake's game? Yes, I watched every game he played. It didn't take long for me to realize he was a special player.

You seriously had a problem with Blake's game?
Yes!!!

Among the worst percentage shooter on the team taking the most shots, often ridiculous ones, at the most inopportune times. Not a prescription for success under any reasonable basketball expectations.

I know. I know. Heard the fearless warrior argument many times, but so was Custer.

Yes!!!

Among the worst percentage shooter on the team taking the most shots, often ridiculous ones, at the most inopportune times. Not a prescription for success under any reasonable basketball expectations.

I know. I know. Heard the fearless warrior argument many times, but so was Custer.
Russell Westbrook style player. Loved Blake’s mentality and effort, but the efficiency was horrible

Yes!!!

But, his game was a prescription for success. We went 20-5 in games he played in his 1st year here, and were headed for the dance after going 13-20 the year before. Interesting that SDad liked your post here. Guess he didn't like Blake's game either. I would be interested to know why.

Russell Westbrook style player. Loved Blake’s mentality and effort, but the efficiency was horrible
Blake made our offense run better. Teams could not leave him open. His volume 3 point shooting was a big part of our success while he was here. He also was the guy we went to when the shot clock was running down. You mentioned efficiency? Well, the 2 years before Blake got here, we were 127th and 125th in offensive efficiency. Blake's 2 years here we were 53rd and 46th. Then, we fell back to 79th last year without him. And, it wasn't just offense with Blake. He was outstanding defensively as well. There's just no denying Blake was an excellent player, and made us a lot better when he was on the floor.

Last edited:
Reactions: gospidersgo
Loved his fire. Loved his all out effort. No problem with his D. Just saying we would have been an even better team if he passed more and shot less.

We are going to need Bigelow and Burton to be good rebounders as well this year. I think Cayo and Golden were good at helping Burton last year - so we will need guys Like Bigelow, Grace, and Quinn to step up and help here. I am not expecting us to be a great rebounding team by an means - and I thought last year with Cayo, Golden, and Burton - we were "okay" most of the time. But we can't dip in this area and give teams 10-12+ offensive rebounds a night. Bigelow looks like he has the body and athleticism to be a good rebounder, so I think if we can get Quinn and Grace on board - we should be good.

But, his game was a prescription for success. We went 20-5 in games he played in his 1st year here, and were headed for the dance after going 13-20 the year before. Interesting that SDad liked your post here. Guess he didn't like Blake's game either. I would be interested to know why.
Blake was a winner, fearless and helped us, But he was a little undisciplined at times with his shot selection. I remember Mooney sitting him once seemingly to get him under control, plus he was missing everything. He was a pretty tough defender at times and probably led team in charges taken. All said, he was not Mooney’s typical recruit, but with his scoring ability, Mooney took a chance on his style of play. Simply my humble opinion.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
Good interview. Like his attitude and reason for coming here, sounds like a really good fit. The more I think about this pick up, the more I may very well move the offseason grade to A-. One thing that really has me high on his potential, is that I believe this will be season 2 following the ACL tear. I don't have any hard data, but it just seems like players make a jump in year 2 following one of these injuries. More the mental aspect than even the physical. He does look to have all the tools to be a contributor on all levels, good bball IQ, tall, long, athletic, good shooter, rebounds. With him and Burton really gives a ton of line up flexibility.

Blake. I am team Blake on this one. Yes, could get a little out of control. But 4700's numbers jive with my recollection of the jump we took with him on the court. He had the Gonzo mentality, and if I recall, prior to his eligibility that seemed to be a main ingredient we were missing. Like the play he hurt his ribs on, he was very aggressive on D and loose balls and impacting the game.

Blake. I am team Blake on this one. Yes, could get a little out of control. But 4700's numbers jive with my recollection of the jump we took with him on the court. He had the Gonzo mentality, and if I recall, prior to his eligibility that seemed to be a main ingredient we were missing. Like the play he hurt his ribs on, he was very aggressive on D and loose balls and impacting the game.
Come on, 23! You’re better than this lol

Probably need to include his two year record.

I liked Blake but he definitely shot us out of some games too.

Probably need to include his two year record.

I liked Blake but he definitely shot us out of some games too.
33-12 overall. 20-9 in the A-10, including a loss against St. Joe's when he only played 9 minutes after being injured.

Blake never met a shot he didn‘t like or wouldn’t take … that helped at times and it certainly hurt at others. I realize I am likely in a minority but I don’t think he was a net add to team chemistry. It appeared to me that, at a minimum, he stunted Gilyard’s aggressiveness and I don’t view that as a positive.

Blake never met a shot he didn‘t like or wouldn’t take … that helped at times and it certainly hurt at others. I realize I am likely in a minority but I don’t think he was a net add to team chemistry. It appeared to me that, at a minimum, he stunted Gilyard’s aggressiveness and I don’t view that as a positive.
Huge Blake fan, but this is my one big question. Gilly often became Robin to Blake's Batman during their time together. I think that hurt us. I reference our run in the A-10 tournament and NCAA this year. What was the number 1 reason we made that run. To me, that was because Gilly just balled out, he was the best player on our team, played like the best player, was the alpha during the run.

When Blake was on the team, he was the alpha. Blake was a great player for us but he was never our best player.

Huge Blake fan, but this is my one big question. Gilly often became Robin to Blake's Batman during their time together. I think that hurt us. I reference our run in the A-10 tournament and NCAA this year. What was the number 1 reason we made that run. To me, that was because Gilly just balled out, he was the best player on our team, played like the best player, was the alpha during the run.

When Blake was on the team, he was the alpha. Blake was a great player for us but he was never our best player.
No shit. If you watched more than one game, you’d know Gily and Grant were our best players.

felt that way, but statistically Gilly didn't take many more shots per game this past year with Blake gone.

felt that way, but statistically Gilly didn't take many more shots per game this past year with Blake gone.
Yep, and Jacob had several big scoring games with Blake here. It usually came down to 3s for Jacob. When his 3s were falling, he scored a lot, no matter who was on the floor with him.

As of right now, I am thinking our most offensively talented lineup may be:

Nelson
Roche
Bigelow
Burton
Quinn

I am making the leap of faith on Nelson, but as of now I am going to believe he can be another KA and score off the drive and hit jumper if left alone. Excited that Roche, Bigelow, and Quinn can all step in day one and be big contributors. When is the European trip :)?

I think to start the season we will see

Nelson
Goose
Burton
Bigelow
Grace

Quinn and Crabtree first off the bench. Roche/DJI after that depending on matchups and development between now and season start.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT