ADVERTISEMENT

2019-20 Richmond Spiders Basketball - Bring Back the "Giant Killers!"

mojo-spider

Team Manager
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010

on the eve of another Spiders basketball season I began to reminisce about the "good ole days" of UR roundball...days that include Championships and NCAA Tournament history...

I always fall back to the magnificent experiences of 1984, 1986, 1988, 1990, 1991, 1998, 2004, 2010 and 2011...the program brought incredible pride, respect and publicity to the University, the players/coaches and the fans...it's an experience every Spiders player and fan deserves...

yesterday when preparing for the season I came across this brief documentary again...I believe it was made somewhere around 2015 as George Mason was mentioned as a "Giant Killer" and Coach Tarrant accurately predicted a #16 seed would beat a #1 seed...the name of the documentary was "Richmond Spiders - The Original Giant Killers"...

you may get a sardonic chuckle out of Bob Black's optimism in his comments that the Spiders have finally outgrown "Giant Killer" reputation...sadly this has not been the case...

like many Richmond fans I have guarded preseason optimism that this year's team may have the talent and experience to turn our sinking program around...getting our historic program back to "Giant Killer" status won't be easy...but this team could make a start...

taking a cue from our football team might be in order...

I'll be hoping for the best possible season for our players and fans...one that brings us much closer to being "Giant Killers"! All of us need that magical experience again.

Go Spiders!

I remember when I wanted to create a sign...
"The grand reopening of Jack & David's Behemoth Extermination Service"
with a hatchet & slingshot logo...

Reactions: nathanw19
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT