ADVERTISEMENT

2014 baseball commitments.

61 Spider

Starter
Gold Member
Feb 20, 2004
Athletic Web site shows 7 baseball commitments for 2014 class. Impressive looking list.

This looks like a really accomplished group of recruits. Guys from Texas, IL, AZ, SC, NC & MD. Looks like coach is going to get some top level talent on the diamond right away.

We already have a good team this year. These guys are to replace the talent that is leaving and to perpetuate the winning. Woodson and his staff will bring in quite a bit more talent, I am sure. From the looks of this list, he will need some LHPs. Say what you will about Coach Mac and his staff, they brought in immediate help and recruited well. My hat's off to Charlie Goens. But this staff is doing a lot of things right.

I don't have any first hand knowledge, nor do I have completely accurate numbers. But I think the size of baseball teams, the high number of D1 teams (almost 300), and the MLB draft process make being in the Top 1000 pretty special.

In basketball we think of the top 150 as elite and the top 300 as very good. In football it is the top 250 and there are 372 4 and 5 star players in the Rivals database. Plus we know that at least double that (3 star players) are very talented.

Why should baseball be 3x those sports?

When you look at the number of D1 teams by sport:
Basketball ~350
Baseball ~300
Football ~ 125

The number of player on each team:
Basketball ~13
Baseball ~35
Football ~ 85

Those things probably make them prett similar but when you factor in the MLB draft process that changes things. I don't know the real numbers but I'm guessing that a couple hundred or even more HS players sign pro contracts each year.

Finally the pro draft process.:
Basketball - no HS players drafted
Football - no HS players drafted and most players stay 4-5 years even elite players
Baseball - over 1200 draft picks a year, at least half are HS players and probably 1/2 or more sign with MLB teams.

I'm amazed the number of kids who sign out of HS still do. I thought the moneyball teams preferred college players, more playing time and stats to measure.

Coach said there is always a good supply of very talented baseball players. Doesn't every kid growing up play baseball. Guess that is where it starts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT