ADVERTISEMENT

Two Offers

Assuming Blake and Nick start next year, we still have Andre, Wojcik, Sal, Grace, and maybe Burton off the bench. Not sure we had a lot of minutes for Noah next year anyway. But, definitely appreciate what he brought this year. He went all out every time he was out there.

Seemed evident Mooney didn't really want him back anyway, hopefully because he has a super stud recruit lined up.

Assuming Blake and Nick start next year, we still have Andre, Wojcik, Sal, Grace, and maybe Burton off the bench. Not sure we had a lot of minutes for Noah next year anyway. But, definitely appreciate what he brought this year. He went all out every time he was out there.
Appreciate his efforts, but he was not an A-10 level player and would just be taking time away from a younger player in our never ending youth movement.

Good point Fan1, I think our lack of success has really put a crimp in our ability to compete on the recruiting trail. This kid looks like a good prospect, but we are coming from a position of weakness lately.

Wow, You would think that the fire Mooney Billboard, Firemooney twitter account and all the negative post on this forum would make recruits want to come here? April fools'!

Last edited:
Wow, You will think that the fire Mooney Billboard, Firemooney twitter account and all the negative post on this forum would make recruits want to come here? April fools'!
No, I'm not sure that those FireMooney guys are helping us or not. But Mooney is certainly killing us on his own. They see a problem and are trying to bring it to light since the Triumvirate doesn't see it.

Reactions: KWeaver
Noah is putting in some good effort. Wondering if he is spit balling in this case, or if he has a little birdie telling him things?

I know in past years this board (myself included) tends to jump on every name that comes available. This guy - Javan White - will have grad transferred twice I believe. Can you do this? We seemed to be under the thought that Noah would have two years.

Reactions: KWeaver
giphy.gif

Reactions: UR80sfan
Noah is putting in some good effort. Wondering if he is spit balling in this case, or if he has a little birdie telling him things?

I know in past years this board (myself included) tends to jump on every name that comes available. This guy - Javan White - will have grad transferred twice I believe. Can you do this? We seemed to be under the thought that Noah would have two years.

I can only assume its not totally random. I am sure someone has told him we have interest or have contacted him or something. Far less sure it means anything at all about his interest in UR.

I can only assume its not totally random. I am sure someone has told him we have interest or have contacted him or something. Far less sure it means anything at all about his interest in UR.

Hans Brase. Was coming here until he wasn't. Laid out on a silver platter was the word but we still missed. So it's hard to have any confidence when your grad history is Kwesi, Madrid-Andrews and a year less than expected Noah Yates. Be nice if Mooney finally comes through b/c we could definitely use a legit inside guy to help us.

I think if we lose out on a recruit against BU or Gardner Webb then we might want to add Joe Lunardi’s optional recruiting services addendum as outlined in Work Order 002 of his master services agreement.

Both offer a lot more playing time than we could if that is what he is looking for.

Reactions: Ulla1
Both offer a lot more playing time than we could if that is what he is looking for.

Not sure about that. Here's BU's roster, with only one senior from this year - Kamali Chambers, who appeared in 9 games and averaged 0.8 points.

0 Jordan Guest Fr. F 6-8 215 Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif. / Santa Margarita Catholic
1 Garrett Pascoe Fr. G 6-3 180 Concord, Calif. / Clayton Valley Charter
2 Tyler Scanlon Jr. F 6-7 215 Centreville, Va. / Westfield
3 Alex Vilarino R-Fr. G 6-2 180 McKinney, Texas / McKinney Texas Tech
5 Walter Whyte So. G/F 6-6 210 New Haven, Conn. / St. Luke's School
14 Andrew Petcash So. G 6-4 200 Pittsburgh, Pa. / Pine Richland
15 Jonas Harper Fr. G 6-2 190 Stamford, Conn. / St. Luke's School
24 Kamali Chambers Sr. G 5-11 180 Golden Valley, Minn. / Brewster Academy (N.H.)
25 Adam Mikula Jr. G 6-2 185 East Boston, Mass. / Brimmer and May
30 Javante McCoy So. G 6-5 180 Milwaukee, Wis. / Phillips Exeter Academy (N.H.)
32 Jack Hemphill Fr. F 6-9 230 Raleigh, N.C. / Ravenscroft
35 Fletcher Tynen Fr. G/F 6-7 195 Torrance, Calif. / Bishop Montgomery
41 Sukhmail Mathon So. F 6-10 225 Shavertown, Pa. / Holderness School (N.H.)
51 Max Mahoney Jr. F 6-8 235 Basking Ridge, N.J. / Ridge H.S.

I understand being the eternal optimist. But sometimes you just have to admit it hurts to lose a player and maybe you were wrong.

Not sure about that. Here's BU's roster, with only one senior from this year - Kamali Chambers, who appeared in 9 games and averaged 0.8 points.

0 Jordan Guest Fr. F 6-8 215 Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif. / Santa Margarita Catholic
1 Garrett Pascoe Fr. G 6-3 180 Concord, Calif. / Clayton Valley Charter
2 Tyler Scanlon Jr. F 6-7 215 Centreville, Va. / Westfield
3 Alex Vilarino R-Fr. G 6-2 180 McKinney, Texas / McKinney Texas Tech
5 Walter Whyte So. G/F 6-6 210 New Haven, Conn. / St. Luke's School
14 Andrew Petcash So. G 6-4 200 Pittsburgh, Pa. / Pine Richland
15 Jonas Harper Fr. G 6-2 190 Stamford, Conn. / St. Luke's School
24 Kamali Chambers Sr. G 5-11 180 Golden Valley, Minn. / Brewster Academy (N.H.)
25 Adam Mikula Jr. G 6-2 185 East Boston, Mass. / Brimmer and May
30 Javante McCoy So. G 6-5 180 Milwaukee, Wis. / Phillips Exeter Academy (N.H.)
32 Jack Hemphill Fr. F 6-9 230 Raleigh, N.C. / Ravenscroft
35 Fletcher Tynen Fr. G/F 6-7 195 Torrance, Calif. / Bishop Montgomery
41 Sukhmail Mathon So. F 6-10 225 Shavertown, Pa. / Holderness School (N.H.)
51 Max Mahoney Jr. F 6-8 235 Basking Ridge, N.J. / Ridge H.S.

I understand being the eternal optimist. But sometimes you just have to admit it hurts to lose a player and maybe you were wrong.

Are you for real here? Wrong about what? Can we at least wait and see how much he plays the next 2 years before assuming I was wrong about anything? Showing a roster proves nothing. They have a guard returning who averaged 12 ppg, and their 2nd highest ppg returning guard averaged 6.8. I think maybe he feels like he can get on the floor sooner there than here. Maybe he doesn't. Heck, maybe he likes the city of Boston and hates the city of Richmond. Maybe he will be all conference there and we will wish we had him, or maybe he rarely plays there and it will not matter. Who knows? But, what I do know is had we landed him, most of the people on this board would have been mad because we landed a guy with no real good other offers.

Are you for real here? Wrong about what? Can we at least wait and see how much he plays the next 2 years before assuming I was wrong about anything? Showing a roster proves nothing. They have a guard returning who averaged 12 ppg, and their 2nd highest ppg returning guard averaged 6.8. I think maybe he feels like he can get on the floor sooner there than here. Maybe he doesn't. Heck, maybe he likes the city of Boston and hates the city of Richmond. Maybe he will be all conference there and we will wish we had him, or maybe he rarely plays there and it will not matter. Who knows? But, what I do know is had we landed him, most of the people on this board would have been mad because we landed a guy with no real good other offers.
Statistically speaking, his competition for playing time at UR isn’t meaningfully different than it is at BU.

I think you’re right that there are many reasons he may have chosen to go to BU. But this is why you have good recruiters on staff, to identify the right talent and sell your school.

I’m not of the mind that this kid is a make or break guy for us, I haven’t seen anyone saying that he’d be the bees knees nor terrible because of his other offers.

It is another example of an inability to out-recruit schools in “lower” conferences. By your own standard, better players want to go to P6 schools over UR. That same theory should apply for an A10 school recruiting against a low major conference school, right? We shouldn’t be in a dogfight over a kid like this and then actually lose him.

Statistically speaking, his competition for playing time at UR isn’t meaningfully different than it is at BU.

I think you’re right that there are many reasons he may have chosen to go to BU. But this is why you have good recruiters on staff, to identify the right talent and sell your school.

I’m not of the mind that this kid is a make or break guy for us, I haven’t seen anyone saying that he’d be the bees knees nor terrible because of his other offers.

It is another example of an inability to out-recruit schools in “lower” conferences. By your own standard, better players want to go to P6 schools over UR. That same theory should apply for an A10 school recruiting against a low major conference school, right? We shouldn’t be in a dogfight over a kid like this and then actually lose him.

I guess the fact that he is from that area and he said he is excited about his family being able to watch him play does not mean anything either, right? This sure does seem like yet another example of where many on here would probably agree with me or at least better accept my opinion if everything did not have to be anti Mooney related.

I guess the fact that he is from that area and he said he is excited about his family being able to watch him play does not mean anything either, right? This sure does seem like yet another example of where many on here would probably agree with me or at least better accept my opinion if everything did not have to be anti Mooney related.

I was with you until you decided to add your "in your face" comment. You lost the power of your point.

Yes, there are a thousand reasons a guy chooses another school, but we are always on the wrong side. Let's just call it like it is, Mooney sucks at recruiting. Carlin Hartman, Kevin McGheehan and other previous assistants were carrying the load on this. Obviously.

Not everything is about CM. I would make this same argument about any coach who had a string of recruiting misses against lower level competition.

It’s fine to say he wanted to stay home, I think that argument holds merit. But again, you’re the one promoting that we will lose the recruiting battles against P6 Schools (something I agree with). Shouldn’t that argument hold true for UR over lower tier conferences?

Not everything is about CM. I would make this same argument about any coach who had a string of recruiting misses against lower level competition.

It’s fine to say he wanted to stay home, I think that argument holds merit. But again, you’re the one promoting that we will lose the recruiting battles against P6 Schools (something I agree with). Shouldn’t that argument hold true for UR over lower tier conferences?

No, it really shouldn't because mid majors will lose out to P6 teams even if the player knows he will not get a lot of playing time on the P6 team. Happens all the time. Can't say the same about mid majors. We love our school, but not a lot of high school basketball players from New England probably think Richmond is way greater than Boston U like they would a P6 over a mid major. I just think it is a little out there to think "wow, how could a guy from the Boston area choose BU over us? Must be a recruiting miss.".

As far as Mooney is concerned, just look at this thread. Of course it became Mooney related. You don't think this is another example of how everything goes back to being negative toward Mooney? Think about this: when we land 2 stars like Tate who had no big offers, Mooney gets criticized for recruiting guys no good schools want. When we "miss" on these guys, Mooney gets criticized because they go to a lesser conference. So, you tell me how that makes sense, and how this and other recruiting threads are not always anti Mooney related?

As far as Mooney is concerned, just look at this thread. Of course it became Mooney related. You don't think this is another example of how everything goes back to being negative toward Mooney? Think about this: when we land 2 stars like Tate who had no big offers, Mooney gets criticized for recruiting guys no good schools want. When we "miss" on these guys, Mooney gets criticized because they go to a lesser conference. So, you tell me how that makes sense, and how this and other recruiting threads are not always anti Mooney related?
Land better guys, then it becomes anti-anti-Mooney.

And ftr, I’m a pretty mild CM guy. Objectively, he has not recruited well. He’s lost multiple guys the past three years alone to lower level conferences. A10 isn’t P6, but it sure as hell plays a lot better to recruits than Patriot or Big South.

That was the whole point of us moving to the A-10 so many years ago. To get the guys vs these other lesser leagues. And our serious recruiting chops were supposed to take us to the Big East!

Man, so long ago.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT