ADVERTISEMENT

Two Offers

Plenty of good 3’s around, but not many good true 4 and 5’s that UR can get. We are lucky to have had Terry Allen, TJ and Grant.

Plenty of good 3’s around, but not many good true 4 and 5’s that UR can get. We are lucky to have had Terry Allen, TJ and Grant.
Good point K. That is why I want Tate, and his brother. Tarrant used to develop big guys year after year. Winiecki, Kratzer, Shields, etc. He would push the guys and by senior year they were studs, and key contributors before that. But he would not put up with the lack of defense I have seen this year. We don't care about defense on this board, I know.

Noah Goldberg‏@NoahGoldberg10
Spider fans go show @daman11tate some love! The 6’ 4” senior guard out of @CushingHoops announced @SpiderMBB is in his top 3
1f577.png
1f578.png
1f535.png
1f534.png

I can't find anything online to confirm the top 3 though.

Reactions: gospidersgo
Good point K. That is why I want Tate, and his brother. Tarrant used to develop big guys year after year. Winiecki, Kratzer, Shields, etc. He would push the guys and by senior year they were studs, and key contributors before that. But he would not put up with the lack of defense I have seen this year. We don't care about defense on this board, I know.
What stinks is that we are praying to get 4’s as the only hope of being successful. Tarrant developed players. A good coach would get 3’s and possibly turn them into 4’s. The past 8 years has shown that doesnt happen now. And 4’s arent going to a school unless there is a very good possibility to make the dance each year. Damn, we need a new coach lol. Has anyone said that before?

not knowing much about NEPSAC, is Class B bigger/better than Class AA?

We really need a backup point guard and a really tall person. Not another guard/wing. Just sayin.
I'd like a rebounder, but we're replacing Schneider and maybe Yates ... two 6'5" guys.
I think we feel good about our 4 big men plus Tomas.
and hopefully Blake can play some point.

we need good basketball players and this guy looks like one.

Reactions: nathanw19
I don't feel that concerned about a backup PG. Presuming that Blake Francis has done some of that, and both Wojcik and Gustavsson are decent in a pinch.

I would like to see more depth at 4. I get the sense that both Nathan and Sal would be better small forwards in our system, at the risk of reducing our overall three point prospects.

That said, I don't know that bringing in a physical PF type is of much use to us if we aren't going to emphasize rebounding or traditional man defense.

Reactions: gospidersgo
I don't feel that concerned about a backup PG. Presuming that Blake Francis has done some of that, and both Wojcik and Gustavsson are decent in a pinch.

I would like to see more depth at 4. I get the sense that both Nathan and Sal would be better small forwards in our system, at the risk of reducing our overall three point prospects.

That said, I don't know that bringing in a physical PF type is of much use to us if we aren't going to emphasize rebounding or traditional man defense.
Exactly Tbone, we wil never use a true 4 for anything. There will be no rebounding for the next 3 years. We either shoot 60% or lose.

Nathan and Sal are pretty much true 4's. they're certainly not 3's. both need to rebound better if they're not going to shoot well from the perimeter.

Nathan and Sal are pretty much true 4's. they're certainly not 3's. both need to rebound better if they're not going to shoot well from the perimeter.
Since I doubt they'll improve to making 75% of their FTs, they need to learn how to play through contact, dunk and make their layups and shots within 4' of the basket.

Reactions: SpiderK
I totally agree with that last statement; they're true 4s only in that they can't shoot well from the perimeter. Neither is a big body that rebounds at a super high rate, defends other PFs without getting pushed around a bit, or have much of a low-post presence at either end of the court.

But I get that this is what passes for a 4 in the CM system. I guess I'm yearning for more size on D and feeling like having a 6'7" or 6'8" guy at 3 in addition to a legit big guy defender would help us. That may be totally unrealistic though.

#IdentityCrisis

Reactions: KWeaver
With all the coaching changes there should be a lot of good players available. Bill and Mary had a couple of excellent bugs for instance. And I just saw that Bucknell has a high scoring 6'9" grad who is transferring.

saw that too. Sestina averaged 15.8 points and 8.5 boards.
I assume he's looking P6 but worth a call.

saw that too. Sestina averaged 15.8 points and 8.5 boards.
I assume he's looking P6 but worth a call.
He might be looking at us had we fired Mooney and hired Nathan Davis. But he certainly is not looking at us now. I can't imagine too many good grad transfers coming to a program coming off back to back 20 loss seasons or high school recruits for that matter either.

Reactions: keefusb and KWeaver
I believe class AA is bigger, and the 2nd biggest (AAA).

In addition to enrollment and geography, amongst the factors that determine a school’s classification are the strength of their schedule and the success they have playing that schedule, league affiliation, the number of players who have repeated a year (including post-graduates), their record against other NEPSAC schools (overall and in their league and/or class), the history of their program in recent years, and various other measurements (e.g. Saylor System).

With the qualifications outlined above, the general guidance for Classes A through D are based on male high school student enrollment levels of their schools, as follows (updated for the 2017-18 season's changes):

Class A is for schools with 230 or more male high school students.

Class B is for schools with 157 to 229 male high school students.

Class C is for schools with 89 to 156 male high school students.

Class D is for schools with 89 or fewer male high school students.

Brewster Academy(360 coeducational)and South Kent(180 Boys) are AAA because of their PG status and higher level of competition.

Last edited:
Reactions: iSpider
He might be looking at us had we fired Mooney and hired Nathan Davis. But he certainly is not looking at us now. I can't imagine too many good grad transfers coming to a program coming off back to back 20 loss seasons or high school recruits for that matter either.
Didn't I read today in the paper today that next year there is "potential for CM's 2019-2020 to be successful & to compete for A10 championship and a tournament bid"?

Let me add that there's potential for me winning Powerball tonight. I bought a ticket.

W/out getting statistical in comparison, I believe my chances are as good as Hardt's rationalization.

I've learned to expect very little from any freshmen prospects we get, cause they are simply that, prospects and development projects, even if they're starting. None of them will be CONSISTENT contributors, and that's why our program is exactly the shape it is in. Not a knock on the players, but on the coaches who make them play a system, especially on D, that is impossible to learn in a few months, instead of one they could play well, like straight man-to-man and/or 2-3 zone.

Last edited:
Reactions: KWeaver
Any updates on Tate or anyone we’re looking at to come in next year?

From my count, we have 1 scholarship open (Schneider), and maybe 1/2 more depending on Yates and Verbinski.

Last edited:
Any updates on Tate or anyone we’re looking at to come in next year?

From my count, we have 1 scholarship open (Schneider), and maybe 1/2 more depending on Grace and Verbinski.
Grace? Yates?

Don't know why Grace would transfer. He actually played a decent amount and was serviceable.

I agree and he should get better and better and get a little more playing time each year. I could see him having a career like Winiecki, who was part of the rotation every year, but never averaged more than 7 points a game until his senior year, when he exploded and averaged over 17. The timing could be right for him to backup Grant the next two years, and then have a great senior year.

Reactions: urfan1
Ugh, welcome to Rhode Island. If we would have just win the two recruiting battles with URI and UMass last year, our roster would be in really good shape.
Hopefully Tate wants some independence from his big bro's shadow.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT