ADVERTISEMENT

Richmond vs. Virginia Commonwealth

Didn't matter a bit but another brain freeze by CM with the technical, it's getting old. Down 7 with a little over a minute to play I would want to start putting them on the line. They could have exhausted the shot clock and still been up 7 with 40+ seconds.

The guys we've got gave it all they have!
I totally agree, they coach didn't give the team they need, you can't expect 6'4" player to battle 6'8" on the boards and win. Every conference lose we had was in large part because they pounded out undersize guys on the boards. Out rebounded today 45 -29, gave up 13 OR.

I can't wait to see a shot chart.

The guys we've got gave it all they have!
Guys step back from the ledge. We played a great game had a three point lead got to give props to VCU for hitting that clutch shot and even then we had a chance to win it at the buzzer.

what more can you ask for? You have to put the ball in one person's hands with that amount of time left and it's going to go in the senior's hand. Shawndre got a great look at the baskets just missed the shot.

Really sucks though because it always seems VCU has it in for us.
Why give it to one guys hands? There were 27 seconds left. 27 seconds!! No one else touched the ball. He drew the D and never even looked in anyone elses direction. Give me a brake saying thats all we had.That is ridiculous.

Every a-10 foe knows our end of half/game play.....poor coaching
Horrible. I have said this all year about end of clock play. SDJ one on one and he hasnt converted in a long time. Our four other players were just standing around the perimeter watching. Frustrating to not try better than that knowing OT would be really tough w TJ having 4 fouls

Reactions: iSpider and regatw
We need to be able to recruit bigger, more physical players Not expected to happen. Will be glad to see SDJ graduate.

We had a chance to win the game in regulation time, and SDJ hogged the ball as he often does, and took a bad shot which he missed. Never passed the ball.
I think this is frustration. Shawndres carried us many times this season. He had a great look at the basket just missed a shot what more do you want?

Feel bad for TJ and SDJ but today's game showed me the ice water in both Buck and Nick's veins. These guys will put plenty of daggers into opponents in the future. Also believe Khwan is that type of player. Nick finally came out and showed he can do more than shoot from distance. JJ does what he does well and hopefully GG comes back strong and Solly fits in right away.

Anyway we can get Nancy to train with this group over the summer. Lol but wishing I wasn't.

How many times does a play have to fail before Mooney realizes that it does not work? Sending Dre to penetrate for the winning basket with 6 seconds left on the clock has never worked. Not the entire year. Not even once (if memory serves), though it has been attempted numerous times. Never a thought of passing it out after having Dre drive as far as he can and then finding an open man. Not even a thought of such a thought. And three VCU players converged on him so there had to be someone open.

Since the play did work at times with KA and KO in prior years, Mooney apparently has it in his mind that the play works regardless of who is at the point. He does not have the capacity to change the game to fit the particular talents of the players. Let Dre pass it out. Let, for instance, KF drive and pass it out to Dre or whoever is open. Nothing unusually creative or novel about that. Just different. Different is good when the alternative is certain failure. Selecting a different plan should be second nature for a basketball coach with knowledge of how often he has seen the play he called fail during the prior 20 plus games. There must be some type of learning disorder at work here, one that has no cure or means to work around.

Everyone else in the world gets it. Why not Mooney? This loss is on his coaching. That alone. We had a great opportunity to win in regulation, but chose to use "the play" that VCU knew we would, and a play that even a 7th grader should know would not work.

How can a coach be so obtuse? One would think one who had never even seen a basketball would catch on to call a different play as often as we have seen the Dre drive for a layup fail this year. How can one ignore such an obvious proven failure of a plan, especially a man who had been around the game his entire life...especially a former college player and an Ivy grad? I would love to see him recognize his limitations and resign.
No f%^king excuse. All I can think right now is what a wasted trip for so many Spider fans.

I'll ponder this quite a bit more on the long drive back to Richmond and resign myself to the loss...and, more importantly, accept with further resignation that it will never change while Mooney is at the helm. Then it will sink in that in the eyes of many, especially those at the top, it's just a game and otherwise we did OK this season so we will remain committed to the status quo for, at the very least, another four or five years. That's the inevitable truth. There is nothing any of us can do to change it. Nada.

I need a drink, though it may well take more than one more to drop my blood pressure to within a normal range. Hope to find a bar with 100 proof liquor, or higher, and no one wearing yellow and black.

I know that there are those who will disagree with me and I know that I will simmer down in time.
I also realize that I have a family and I need to spare them the despair that I so often experiece following the basketball program. I think it may be time for me to take a vacation from this board and from otherwise following the program. I'll ponder that as well.

This game was a tough pill to swallow. Spiders had it at the end, Lewis made a great shot to force OT, and we dialed up a midrange shot that was a decent look but didn't execute.

5 starters all in double figures but a total of two points off the bench. 2? I thought that was a typo. We had 29 minutes of bench play. They had 80 minutes and 35 points.

Thats about it.

Fatherspider, I owe you $20, please shoot me your address.

This game was a tough pill to swallow. Spiders had it at the end, Lewis made a great shot to force OT, and we dialed up a midrange shot that was a decent look but didn't execute.

5 starters all in double figures but a total of two points off the bench. 2? I thought that was a typo. We had 29 minutes of bench play. They had 80 minutes and 35 points.

Thats about it.

Fatherspider, I owe you $20, please shoot me your address.

Because we have no bench and that is on Mooney, he doesn't recruit or develop bench strength. Mooney puts no importance on rebounding or size, he cannot handle the pressure of close games. The top other 3 teams in the top 4 teams in the A10 have 10 or more player with 10 minutes per game or more.

I also realize that I have a family and I need to spare them the despair that I so often experiece following the basketball program. I think it may be time for me to take a vacation from this board and from otherwise following the program. I'll ponder that as well.

i -- love your insight, take a breather, come back strong

Our guys battled. We weren't going to win that game in OT. Great shot by Lewis.

The fact that we went iso for that last shot to try and do something that never works and not get a touch by the conference player of the year is all on the coaching staff.

Good showy by our team and fans in Pitt today.

Our guys battled. We weren't going to win that game in OT. Great shot by Lewis.

The fact that we went iso for that last shot to try and do something that never works and not get a touch by the conference player of the year is all on the coaching staff.

Good showy by our team and fans in Pitt today.

Yes, either a drive by TJ (even if called for 5th foul), or a kick out 3...

Seeing replays of Lewis's shot to tie the game ... (1) it was very tired defense on the hedge and (2) how do we let Lewis get any shot off? Make ANY other player take it and make it to force OT. Whereas SDJ is oh-fer on his end of games, Lewis doesn't miss

Buck rocks it keeping us in the game....Sherod has a sweet shot and great basketball skills..............Fore works his heart out..................no excuse for our coach to lose track of timeouts....didn't the assistants remind him????..................hate to say it but Broad Street flat out owns us, totally embarrassing..........need to involve more players in end of game situations, you think?...............credit to the opponent but it was our game to win at the end of regulation....couldn't we force contact enough to make the ref call something and/or have the ball go up sooner and maybe a chance for a put back(yes that is risky but couldn't have ended any worse!) Losing to Broad Street flat out needs to stop!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think we should have committed a foul to keep Lewis from taking a three at the end of regulation.
Hindsight 20/20 we should have tried to foul to force free throws. It's a tough call, I believe the statistics are in favor of it, but only marginally.

Forget the system, without a big man who can play with the front lines of other A10 teams the result will be....54%.
Yes. We got as much as we could this year out of this lineup. The guys worked hard. However, it goes w/out saying that we need 2 big guys on the floor together to compete against the bigger & more aggressive teams.

VCU tore us up inside, and that's getting oldddddddddddddddddd. How many points did they score in the paint on us, and how many offensive rebounds did they get? Same story...another year.

I think this is frustration. Shawndres carried us many times this season. He had a great look at the basket just missed a shot what more do you want?
But you dont get it, its the same play we have drawn up in thise situations whether galf or end game and it never works. That play isnt his fault because cm told him to do it but he hasnt hit a shot in that situation in two years.

Reactions: SpiderRick
How many times does a play have to fail before Mooney realizes that it does not work? Sending Dre to penetrate for the winning basket with 6 seconds left on the clock has never worked. Not the entire year. Not even once (if memory serves), though it has been attempted numerous times. Never a thought of passing it out after having Dre drive as far as he can and then finding an open man. Not even a thought of such a thought. And three VCU players converged on him so there had to be someone open.

Since the play did work at times with KA and KO in prior years, Mooney apparently has it in his mind that the play works regardless of who is at the point. He does not have the capacity to change the game to fit the particular talents of the players. Let Dre pass it out. Let, for instance, KF drive and pass it out to Dre or whoever is open. Nothing unusually creative or novel about that. Just different. Different is good when the alternative is certain failure. Selecting a different plan should be second nature for a basketball coach with knowledge of how often he has seen the play he called fail during the prior 20 plus games. There must be some type of learning disorder at work here, one that has no cure or means to work around.

Everyone else in the world gets it. Why not Mooney? This loss is on his coaching. That alone. We had a great opportunity to win in regulation, but chose to use "the play" that VCU knew we would, and a play that even a 7th grader should know would not work.

How can a coach be so obtuse? One would think one who had never even seen a basketball would catch on to call a different play as often as we have seen the Dre drive for a layup fail this year. How can one ignore such an obvious proven failure of a plan, especially a man who had been around the game his entire life...especially a former college player and an Ivy grad? I would love to see him recognize his limitations and resign.
No f%^king excuse. All I can think right now is what a wasted trip for so many Spider fans.

I'll ponder this quite a bit more on the long drive back to Richmond and resign myself to the loss...and, more importantly, accept with further resignation that it will never change while Mooney is at the helm. Then it will sink in that in the eyes of many, especially those at the top, it's just a game and otherwise we did OK this season so we will remain committed to the status quo for, at the very least, another four or five years. That's the inevitable truth. There is nothing any of us can do to change it. Nada.

I need a drink, though it may well take more than one more to drop my blood pressure to within a normal range. Hope to find a bar with 100 proof liquor, or higher, and no one wearing yellow and black.

I know that there are those who will disagree with me and I know that I will simmer down in time.

Right on! With SDJ graduating, Mooney will have to figure who will take the end of game shot next year every game when needed. One thing we know - it'll be one player, the same player, there will never be an alternative play or player.

Our starting 5 vs theirs, and we would 50-50 against them what separates us is the
bench. When is last time we had bench that did not hurt us when they came in? 2 vs 35
bench points is a telling tale. Unless we have 2-3 freshmen that will play, we are in the same
boat next year. It will take 3-4 years of solid recruiting for depth to build up, but history does
not seem to indicate that will happen.

Reactions: SpiderK
Our starting 5 vs theirs, and we would 50-50 against them what separates us is the
bench. When is last time we had bench that did not hurt us when they came in? 2 vs 35
bench points is a telling tale. Unless we have 2-3 freshmen that will play, we are in the same
boat next year. It will take 3-4 years of solid recruiting for depth to build up, but history does
not seem to indicate that will happen.
Fwiw, 3 of the 5 bench players for vcu are freshmen. Our problem is that our freshmen are starting, mostly because they're very good but also because we have few alternatives.

vcu starts 4 seniors and a junior this season, they will likely lose 5 seniors, but possibly 6 this season

I don't know who SpiderSportsHub is on Twitter, but good job trashing that punk Ram fan who commented on this tweet:

Reactions: urfan1
Hey Spiders fans. Great game today! Your team was awesome this year and Buck & Sherod will do amazing things in the next 3 years. You have a strong recruiting class and I suspect we will have many more thrilla games in the upcoming years. Without a doubt a stronger bench would have put you all in the tourney this year. Hoping you all crush the NIT!

Ram Bal

Reactions: The Vault
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT