ADVERTISEMENT

Richmond vs. Virginia Commonwealth

Hey Spiders fans. Great game today! Your team was awesome this year and Buck & Sherod will do amazing things in the next 3 years. You have a strong recruiting class and I suspect we will have many more thrilla games in the upcoming years. Without a doubt a stronger bench would have put you all in the tourney this year. Hoping you all crush the NIT!

Ram Bal
Silence

I'd love to know who called the last play of regulation. We had plenty of time to win game. SDJ dribbled the ball to allow time to elapse, and then took a poor shot, to lead to overtime.;l Frankly, I think we had 4 players that were better at making that last shot. However, SDJ didn't pass to another teammate. Not the first time this season.

Reactions: regatw
I'd love to know who called the last play of regulation. We had plenty of time to win game. SDJ dribbled the ball to allow time to elapse, and then took a poor shot, to lead to overtime.;l Frankly, I think we had 4 players that were better at making that last shot. However, SDJ didn't pass to another teammate. Not the first time this season.
That is our ONLY end of clock play. It was CM's call at the start of the season and It hasnt worked once. Sjd is not a guy who will adjust either which sucks too. He didnt even look at a teammate for the entire 29 seconds.

Our starting 5 vs theirs, and we would 50-50 against them what separates us is the
bench. When is last time we had bench that did not hurt us when they came in? 2 vs 35
bench points is a telling tale. Unless we have 2-3 freshmen that will play, we are in the same
boat next year. It will take 3-4 years of solid recruiting for depth to build up, but history does
not seem to indicate that will happen.
One of our scholarship bench players (Jessie) was sitting beside Mo in the stands and won the Simon Says contest at halftime. How sad is that??

If the ball is not going to go to TJ at some point in that sequence, then it has to go to Buck, who was our best player yesterday, is capable of driving and getting fouled and capable of converting the FTs. SDJ is never going to get a contact foul called there because he's too small. Buck could have gotten it, though.

That is our ONLY end of clock play. It was CM's call at the start of the season and It hasnt worked once. Sjd is not a guy who will adjust either which sucks too. He didnt even look at a teammate for the entire 29 seconds.
This morning's RTD article has Mooney stating about the play, "I would live with him taking that shot tomorrow".

Obviously Mooney doesn't get it and hasn't learned that the same choice over & over is expected by the teams we play & that the choice hasn't worked all season. But there we have it - Mooney ready to repeat it "tomorrow".

From TV angle I saw, it appeared TJ was open around the key????

Reactions: fatherspider
Stats from yesterday that scream loudly.

We get out rebounded by 19. We had 2 offensive rebounds & VCU had 12 - somebody tell Mooney that 2nd chance points matter.

VCU scores 56 of 87 points in the paint - any doubt what their game plan was?

Their bench scores 35 points.

These are stats that should make Mooney do some real self evaluation of his recruiting and philosophy, but 2021 is a long ways off.

This morning's RTD article has Mooney stating about the play, "I would live with him taking that shot tomorrow."

What do you expect him to say? Want him to throw the senior (that just played in his final conference game) under the bus?

I'm not at all surprised seeing that and wouldn't expect him to answer that differently. If we were in the NCAA already, then maybe he replies differently.

Great run and it was fun watching guys compete and come together for NCAA bid. No question this is a special group. Now hopefully NIT with no pressures just have fun during post season play.

Many here salty with ending of the conference game. We have two great spiders none should be riding either at this point it is what it is. The last play was right I saw replay and it was a good move SDJ cleared space got off his regular shot not forced clean look just missed when time expired no win no lost. VCU was all hugging their man no it wasn't time for a kick out.

TJ wasn't open Buck or KF would just drive into the crowd the refs gonna swallow that whistleon end of game plays, naw use your best one on one jumpshooter, and it was a 1 on 1 situation whic he took got very good look it just did not fall. Of course posters here who clearly don't like SDJ or know basketball just post from a irritated fan point of view will always think it's a better option but truly without SDJ we would not got this far. We actually lost the game in the next 5 minutes. If anyone would missed that shot we would ride CM in our eyes it could been something better.

Proud of this team sorry seniors did not make the dance but the team went further then most expected and CM did a better job adjusting to this years team. CM Deserves one more year with new talent coming and frosh already here and also from a 20 win exciting bubble watch maybe NIT season. Lets stop the Hate.

Last edited:
Reactions: spiders13
What do you expect him to say? Want him to throw the senior (that just played in his final conference game) under the bus?

I'm not at all surprised seeing that and wouldn't expect him to answer that differently. If we were in the NCAA already, then maybe he replies differently.
I'm a big SDJ fan, but if you dig deeper Mooney's quote isn't about SDJ. It's all about CM's play calling & reflects not upon SDJ but about Mooney's pattern of choice. And once it again it burned us. Totally expected end of game shot anticipated by all players on both teams & everyone on this site.

Hey Spiders fans. Great game today! Your team was awesome this year and Buck & Sherod will do amazing things in the next 3 years. You have a strong recruiting class and I suspect we will have many more thrilla games in the upcoming years. Without a doubt a stronger bench would have put you all in the tourney this year. Hoping you all crush the NIT!

Ram Bal
Go away please!

Stats from yesterday that scream loudly.

We get out rebounded by 19. We had 2 offensive rebounds & VCU had 12 - somebody tell Mooney that 2nd chance points matter.

VCU scores 56 of 87 points in the paint - any doubt what their game plan was?

Their bench scores 35 points.

These are stats that should make Mooney do some real self evaluation of his recruiting and philosophy, but 2021 is a long ways off.
The University of Richmond will NOT rebound until 2022!!!!

Great run and it was fun watching guys compete and come together for NCAA bid. No question this is a special group. Now hopefully NIT with no pressures just have fun during post season play.

Many here salty with ending of the conference game. We have two great spiders none should be riding either at this point it is what it is. The last play was right I saw replay and it was a good move SDJ cleared space got off his regular shot not forced clean look just missed when time expired no win no lost. VCU was all hugging their man no it wasn't time for a kick out.

TJ wasn't open Buck or KF would just drive into the crowd the refs gonna swallow that whistleon end of game plays, naw use your best one on one jumpshooter, and it was a 1 on 1 situation whic he took got very good look it just did not fall. Of course posters here who clearly don't like SDJ or know basketball just post from a irritated fan point of view will always think it's a better option but truly without SDJ we would not got this far. We actually lost the game in the next 5 minutes. If anyone would missed that shot we would ride CM in our eyes it could been something better.

Proud of this team sorry seniors did not make the dance but the team went further then most expected and CM did a better job adjusting to this years team. CM Deserves one more year with new talent coming and frosh already here and also from a 20 win exciting bubble watch maybe NIT season. Lets stop the Hate.
Anyone who says"great run" about a one game A10 tournament win obviously is very new to watching college basketball.

TJ had Lewis on him after Cox switched onto SDJ. That's the matchup you needed to exploit 11 times out of 10
No other players were trying to get open because the "play" is to clear out and have sdj take it one on one. It has been the "play" in every similar situation all year. No one cut, no one set a pick because they knew sdj was going to take the shot. VCU and everyone in the building knew sdj was going to take the shot. And sadly all of us UR fans knew from experience that he wasnt going to make the shot because he hasnt all year in that situation.

This morning's RTD article has Mooney stating about the play, "I would live with him taking that shot tomorrow".

Obviously Mooney doesn't get it and hasn't learned that the same choice over & over is expected by the teams we play & that the choice hasn't worked all season. But there we have it - Mooney ready to repeat it "tomorrow".

From TV angle I saw, it appeared TJ was open around the key????
Really, Ive watch all season, has SDJ made a shot all year when he holds ball then dribbles around at top of the key until clock runs down at end of half or game? Maybe im missing something, but Coach, that play hasnt worked all year yet you would do it again tomorrow? Last game against VCU at end of half they knew the "play" and had two guards attack sdj with 8 seconds left and we didnt even get a shot off. He never adjusts and this is a perfect example and its why we see the same results year after year.

Reactions: spiders13
Typical classy Spidey post.
LOL coming from a "fan" at a "school" that refers to us as FUR...Did you learn the definition of projection your 7 years in school? That's if you even went to VDU. I don't troll your boards because I have better things to do with my life but imagine as many bad things are said about us on your board.

Admittedly I don't even remember typing that message as I was well over served after that game, but now that you brought it to my attention I don't feel any different. If you read further into the comment I am praising them for taking advantage of every opportunity they get and its annoying. I don't have to sugarcoat my feelings about how they accomplished it. Get over it!

Go Gaels!

Anyone who says"great run" about a one game A10 tournament win obviously is very new to watching college basketball.

I assumed he meant the run to close out the year and get the double bye as well as the first game. Or even just our conference season after a disappointing nonconference season.

I guess you could read it your way but I don't know why you would.

I think either you want SDJ or CLine taking that last shot. Didn't fall. Those are the breaks, Now lets go win the NIT.

I assumed he meant the run to close out the year and get the double bye as well as the first game. Or even just our conference season after a disappointing nonconference season.

I guess you could read it your way but I don't know why you would.

Speaking of Mooney quotes, this gem, this morning.

“I’m pleased,” said UR coach Chris Mooney. “There’s only about less than 30 percent of college basketball teams that get to play in the postseason, or in the NCAA or NIT. To be one of those when you’re not in a Power Five
Conference I think is an accomplishment.”

Do you think his players are pleased about playing in the NIT vs. NCAA? Is TJ and SDJ pleased about this.

This crap just infuriates me, he is perfectly fine being where we are, he still cashes his check regardless.

Do you think Wade would have said this if VCU was in the NIT? Do you think Tom Izzo would say this? Hell no.

Agree 97 -- while it's great to have TJ and SDJ put on the uniform again, I would not used "pleased" as my adjective of choice when receiving a 6 seed in the NIT. Roy Williams said when the Heels, coming off the 2009 national championship, found themselves in the NIT in 2010 - "I just didn't do as good a job with this club this year as I needed to." Would be nice to see that accountability ...

Reactions: 97spiderfan
I have decided today that the next time we play vcu at the robins center I will find the fat boy ram fan and steal his horns. I will then spray paint them red and blue, post it all over social media and then proceed to burn them. Of course this will only happen if we win and it might be a while until that happens.

Next day and I still can't believe that was our end of game play and we didn't even try to run our offense which is normally how we score
CM got in this habit with Kevin A. I'm sure there are some but I can't remember when we tried anything that involved the team? For me what makes this so bad is our only true center had 4 fouls going into OT was a horrible option. Even if SJ had driven to the base line and throw the ball off a VCU players leg, our out of bounds play would have been a better option.

Reactions: coachfezz

“I’m pleased,” said UR coach Chris Mooney. “There’s only about less than 30 percent of college basketball teams that get to play in the postseason, or in the NCAA or NIT. To be one of those when you’re not in a Power Five

Do you think his players are pleased about playing in the NIT vs. NCAA? Is TJ and SDJ pleased about this.

This crap just infuriates me, he is perfectly fine being where we are, he still cashes his check regardless.

Do you think Wade would have said this if VCU was in the NIT? Do you think Tom Izzo would say this? Hell no.

X2

Unbelievable choice of words, spin, and rationalization.

Agree 97 -- while it's great to have TJ and SDJ put on the uniform again, I would not used "pleased" as my adjective of choice when receiving a 6 seed in the NIT. Roy Williams said when the Heels, coming off the 2009 national championship, found themselves in the NIT in 2010 - "I just didn't do as good a job with this club this year as I needed to." Would be nice to see that accountability ...

Accountability would be like our coach stating the NCAA is our goal each year. Except he never says that, always Top 4 in the A-10 is the goal.

It just seems that our fan base and players are more upset with not going to the NCAA than our coaching staff is. Again, they are the only ones who get paid regardless.

I know our posts are not wanted, but I do want to say this. I felt that Bob Black and Mooney made way too big of a deal about the game at VCU being competitive. His show the next day was all about that and more importantly Mooney went the same route on the Spider Sportsline. I think it was then assumed that if it wasn't played at VCU then Richmond would have won. There was then a lot of confidence on here and maybe even within the team that the Spiders would definitely win at home just because.

Moral victories are dangerous for mindsets of athletes and coaches.

I know our posts are not wanted, but I do want to say this. I felt that Bob Black and Mooney made way too big of a deal about the game at VCU being competitive. His show the next day was all about that and more importantly Mooney went the same route on the Spider Sportsline. I think it was then assumed that if it wasn't played at VCU then Richmond would have won. There was then a lot of confidence on here and maybe even within the team that the Spiders would definitely win at home just because.

Moral victories are dangerous for mindsets of athletes and coaches.
You're right, they're not wanted.

I actually don't mind the VCU basketball team/players, I also don't mind the coach. It's the obnoxious and a-holish VCU fans that I don't like. You may not be one of them, but most of the ones who post here fall into this category. Couple that with how they behave at not just our games, but other games in the league, and we aren't the only ones who feel this way about VCU.

I disagree. I think that Tom Izzo would say this.

"To be one of those [in the NIT] when you’re not in a Power Five
Conference I think is an accomplishment."

Just not about his own team...

You're right, they're not wanted.

I actually don't mind the VCU basketball team/players, I also don't mind the coach. It's the obnoxious and a-holish VCU fans that I don't like. You may not be one of them, but most of the ones who post here fall into this category. Couple that with how they behave at not just our games, but other games in the league, and we aren't the only ones who feel this way about VCU.

Pretty much sums it up. Never had any issue with the players or even the coaches. Hell I don't even have a problem with the students or the alumni that supported the program before 2011. My main issue is people acting like VCU fans who have no affiliation with the school whatsoever prior to the final four. Then they behave like the people you see in the nosebleeds at NFL games or your at a WWE event once they like what they see. Their hubris makes it hard to distinguish the good fans from the bad and when you have a base as large as theirs the good will be outnumbered. Those fans weren't around before you were good and they wont be around if you finally do make a bad hire, yet we have to deal with them in the meantime.

Its a very similar trajectory to Virginia Tech football(Full disclosure I am a tech football fan)

I've been a season ticket holder since I graduated in 1990. I saw plenty of tough times as a VCU fan trust me.

I still think my point about the moral victory piece is important for this season's matchups.

I've been a season ticket holder since I graduated in 1990. I saw plenty of tough times as a VCU fan trust me.

I still think my point about the moral victory piece is important for this season's matchups.
Of note, we are well versed in mooney equivocation. It's at the heart of most spider fans' displeasure with mooney. I for one don't believe he actually thinks this way, but the suggestion publicly that he's tolerant of "mediocrity" is anathema to many folks at UR.

Thats all great, but for each one of you there are scores of VCU fans who know nothing about their team or their history but have no problem dishing out trash talk. How many people in 1990 were showing VCU love compared to today and you hopefully see my point?

I remember meeting a "die hard" VCU fan once and asked them who their favorite player on the team was...Their answer: Shaka Smart. This was when he was coaching at Texas. I don't think its a coincidence that your sellout streak started the same year you made the final four and ticket prices have risen each year since. Of course there are real fans at VCU but you've been outnumbered, as a result, other fan bases have begun to view you negatively, not just us.

You guys arrived, we get it, we don't have to like it or play nice though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT