ADVERTISEMENT

Official hot seat thread Mooney

These were his comments after the game last night. Smooth sailing, everything is fine and by MoonPie’s estimation everything has been fine all season long 🤷🏼‍♂️

“We need to get ourselves ready for a game at (George Washington),” Mooney said of UR’s Tuesday assignment. “After that game, get ourselves ready for the next one. I don’t think anything would change in terms of how we approach each coming game, or each individual game.
“It’s just a matter of us being ready, fresh, alert and things that I think we have been.”
Mooney and change can't be used in the same sentence.

His statement seems to reflect that's he's on autopilot.

I did, not a good look. He just blamed the players. Maybe that was his way of saying we quit competing. And we all know, competing is the gold standard @ UR
I did not hear the comment but based on the reported sentiment Im surprised at Beck. Loved watching him play, he’s been a good announcer but at some point in time your personal credibility has to matter. Every team at Richmond for the last 10 years has been soft…..that is on the coach who recruited and supposedly coached them. This was a catastrophic loss. A game we had to win, with the ‘best’ team we’ve had in years, to get blown out by your rival…..that is pathetic. Players have come and gone but Mooney remains

If mooney thinks we were "ready, fresh and alert" last night, then what happens when we aren't? It can't get worse then last night, can it?

Reactions: 8legs1dream
If mooney thinks we were "ready, fresh and alert" last night, then what happens when we aren't? It can't get worse then last night, can it?
Sure it could get worse, we could have come out flat and lost by 30. We’ve done that before.

People forget that not only was this supposed to be our best team in years but this is one of vcu’s worst teams from a talent perspective in a long time. However they still dominate us. Only one reason you can point to for that.

People forget that not only was this supposed to be our best team in years but this is one of vcu’s worst teams from a talent perspective in a long time. However they still dominate us. Only one reason you can point to for that.

And they were without a starter the entire game and one of the other starters got injured and hardly played afterwards!! Like, someone help me understand how many stars need to align before we have a chance of beating VCU. No crowds last year, still lost. Their key players being out to injury or leaving early to go the NBA, still lost. The biggest joke in program history the "greatest class ever", enough individual accolades to fill every vomitorium in the RC, doesn't matter still can't win big games when needed. These past few offseasons it has been a real struggle to decide whether or not to re-up with season tickets. In fact, this past offseason I didn't commit to buying until way later than normal because I thought I had convinced myself not to do it again but here we are. I think the decision is going to be a lot easier this offseason.

Don't worry 8legs, Bob Black and Matt Smith are busy replacing you with BOGO or 5 buck tickets. PQ is writing the check for the difference. All is well.
Beck comments, either he is sman or the Stockholm syndrome has set in. I think on one broadcast, BB mentioned that Beck no longer works his job as a shoe rep. So that could be reason to toe the company line more closely as well.

re: Beckwith I heard his comments...those radio broadcasts r available...I don’t think as bad as indicated here. Now yes he did make 1 comment about coaches preparing the players well & coaches can’t make shots. And yes he seemed to be soft on Mooney directly overall. But he also basically said what we’ve said. That the players quit 2nd half. Well that’s an indictment on both players and coaches. I can’t speak to what he’s like normally I expect it’s Philly Bob 2.0. go to postgame radio part maybe others have a much different impression idk.

Reactions: urfan1
re: Beckwith I heard his comments...those radio broadcasts r available...I don’t think as bad as indicated here. Now yes he did make 1 comment about coaches preparing the players well & coaches can’t make shots. And yes he seemed to be soft on Mooney directly overall. But he also basically said what we’ve said. That the players quit 2nd half. Well that’s an indictment on both players and coaches. I can’t speak to what he’s like normally I expect it’s Philly Bob 2.0. go to postgame radio part maybe others have a much different impression idk.
Think we should layoff beck...he won't be overly critical publicly...know that he and his teammates from the 80s aren't excited about how things are playing out....

don’t know who this guy is & nothing the board probably doesn’t know but illuminating & jarring tweets nonetheless. Somebody send those to big hat not cattle hardt or new Pres. The 2nd one wow. In past 11 seasons we have surpassed preseason expectations exactly twice.

I don’t place too much on preseason rankings, but at this many years it is telling. The first tweet is the one that concerns me more and should concern everyone with the program.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
The problem is that URs performance as graded by wins and losses is just good enough over this span for CM to avoid termination. Fordham and Duquesne are perennially bad and have rationally chosen to change paths.

JH had his chance after the back to back 20 loss seasons and squandered it.

Reactions: whampas and ur2K
I don’t place too much on preseason rankings, but at this many years it is telling. The first tweet is the one that concerns me more and should concern everyone with the program.

Yes but also u can take the projections out of equation entirely and it’s still telling. Also fireable on own without factoring projections. Both bad but first one is more shameful. Tho I think the goo moos technically tie us but not in A10 for all of it so he may have disregarded. Of course they’ve changed coaches too.

Reactions: spider fan
Collin Zucker previously posted this. He is one of the many "fed-up" Richmond grads.
FKTjepGXoAgmKIn

• Love
Reactions: SpiderK and KWeaver

don’t know who this guy is & nothing the board probably doesn’t know but illuminating & jarring tweets nonetheless. Somebody send those to big hat not cattle hardt or new Pres. The 2nd one wow. In past 11 seasons we have surpassed preseason expectations exactly twice.
One of the two is the “most regular season victories ever” I believe…

Any reason why Mooney hasn’t been canned yet for his 17 Years’ Disgrace (minus a few hot flashes in the pan a lifetime ago)?

When your hated rival, VCU fans, start saying things like - the A-10 and VCU need for Richmond to be good-
you know the situation is dire.
Do you all remember how much coverage the A-10 and the City of Richmond got when both of us were
in the playoffs? Maybe we should ask for help from the Richmond Chamber of Commerce.

Any reason why Mooney hasn’t been canned yet for his 17 Years’ Disgrace (minus a few hot flashes in the pan a lifetime ago)?
1) his 10 year contract
2) he’s not a terrible coach. He’s mediocre, which evidence has shown is what our AD strives for.
Both of those reasons should fly out the window this year. The contract is no longer ungodly long, and we’ve performed below expectations for so long that it’s obvious a change is needed.

Since we’re private, we will probably never know, but the next two years of Mooney’s “contract” really should be something Hardt can tear up anytime he wants without paying a cent.

As we have mentioned many times, when he gave the extension, he had 100% of the leverage. Mooney had one good year following two terrible ones. No one else was offering him a job. Hardt had no urgency to extend him, other than to allow Mooney to be able to recruit and tell players he’d be around four more years. But the extra two years could and should have been renewable one at a time at the will of the AD. Basically “Hey, play well and you earn another year or two at $1.3M per. If not, see ya.” If Mooney didn’t like that, he would have been free to quit.

It should be very simple for us to end this next month.

If the money dries up and ticket sales plummet- Hardt will either fix it or be fired.
He’s not a coach, or recruiter, he‘s a director. And now he has to direct a change whether
he wants to or not.

This is what scares me. The powers that be will point to ticket sales (or distributed) and say that things are going great, where the real story is we give away and discount a ton of seats to help fill the building.

Reactions: SpiderK
If the money dries up and ticket sales plummet- Hardt will either fix it or be fired.
He’s not a coach, or recruiter, he‘s a director. And now he has to direct a change whether
he wants to or not.
Ticket sales should be an afterthought. Performance should dictate.

Will he take the initiative, will he be forced, or does absolutely nothing happen? I'll believe it when I see it.

Ticket sales should be an afterthought. Performance should dictate.

Will he take the initiative, will he be forced, or does absolutely nothing happen? I'll believe it when I see it.
There’s no real reason to think gate receipts matter, UR has habitually given away tickets just to get butts in seats. A 10-20% hit to season tickets probably doesn’t phase anyone.

But if you get a bunch of vocal fans expressing their dissatisfaction publicly, that might get someone’s attention.

Going back to the announcers' comments earlier, I have to wonder what their opinions REALLY are. Especially Beckwith's. I feel like his tone started changing a bit last year, and maybe a little more this year. But you really have to listen for it, and most of the time, it's pretty subtle.

Going back to the announcers' comments earlier, I have to wonder what their opinions REALLY are. Especially Beckwith's. I feel like his tone started changing a bit last year, and maybe a little more this year. But you really have to listen for it, and most of the time, it's pretty subtle.
I think the broadcast crew was as negative as ever especially before the interview with Mooney (around 2:48 on broadcast timer). Greg changed to the coaches will get the players ready and the players have to execute talk later (3:04) and was really talking more about the next game versus the one that was just played. Bob was his usual upbeat self and was even singing VCU praises, but Greg was especially pained during the postgame.

Reactions: spider23
I think the broadcast crew was as negative as ever especially before the interview with Mooney (around 2:48 on broadcast timer). Greg changed to the coaches will get the players ready and the players have to execute talk later (3:04) and was really talking more about the next game versus the one that was just played. Bob was his usual upbeat self and was even singing VCU praises, but Greg was especially pained during the postgame.
Yeah, I listened to the postgame. Beck's comments were taken a bit out of context in my opinion. He certainly said that players have to make shots and coaches can't but overall tone from Beck was one of disappointment. Bob was his usual happy go lucky self though.

Both are to blame, but the fact of the matter is - you can't fire the players, even if they are 6 year Super Seniors.

I just have a feeling, while the seat is hot, that Mooney will be back. I don't think the administration has it in him to fire him. BUT - I do think the following needs to happen to give administration (AD and Board) reasons to keep him.

If Mooney is able to win 3 of the last 4 games, which will be tough - but is doable with GW and I think Bonnies - who we beat earlier, then they just have to beat Dayton or St. Louis - that gets us to 20 wins and 11 in conference, probably good enough for 5th place, maybe 4th if a lot goes our way down the stretch.

Then they win 2 games in the A10 tourney - likely puts us in the semifinals. These are all good signs of "competing" and the narrative we will be given at the end of the year is that this team came back, battled COVID and one of the toughest schedules in school history to turn in 20+ wins, and come so close to winning A10 title. I just don't see them firing Mooney, winningest coach in school history, after a 22 win season. He might be entering Coach Atkins territory from baseball where they will just wait for him to retire or resign as long as he keeps turning in middle of the pack results.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT