ADVERTISEMENT

Official hot seat thread Mooney

If we were in the NCAA 2 years ago. With basically the same group minus Francis. How does anyone defend this? You went 14-9 last year this year currently 10-7. How much more mediocre you want it? The best class ever is .500 the past two years. Next year we have a losing season. And blame youth and inexperience. Just get rid of Mooney and actually start a rebuild. By constantly making excuses you avoid making any progress.
Over the past 5 years, this team (super senior class) has a record of 74-63, a winning percentage of 54%. Why in the world with a 5 year record like this anyone thinks that this same group of players was gonna go out and win the A-10 this year and get an at-large (and I freely admit, I deluded myself into thinking that way myself). This is a slightly above .500 ball club.

Mooney has sold us all a bill of goods about this class and almost everyone, most notably the players have bought into it. Maybe had he told them at the beginning of the year, hey you guys have been here 4 years and you haven't won shit. Maybe challenged them to be better than what they were. That is what a great coach would do, but we got Mooney who wants the players to be his friend.

So instead, they take the court every game like they are special, but the fact remains they have done nothing collectively as a team to ever show that they are. I'm sure every other team in the league knows that we are a bunch of paper dragons that once they punch us in the face a couple times, we will fold because we always do. do.

Over the past 5 years, this team (super senior class) has a record of 74-63, a winning percentage of 54%. Why in the world with a 5 year record like this anyone thinks that this same group of players was gonna go out and win the A-10 this year and get an at-large (and I freely admit, I deluded myself into thinking that way myself). This is a slightly above .500 ball club.

Mooney has sold us all a bill of goods about this class and almost everyone, most notably the players have bought into it. Maybe had he told them at the beginning of the year, hey you guys have been here 4 years and you haven't won shit. Maybe challenged them to be better than what they were. That is what a great coach would do, but we got Mooney who wants the players to be his friend.

So instead, they take the court every game like they are special, but the fact remains they have done nothing collectively as a team to ever show that they are. I'm sure every other team in the league knows that we are a bunch of paper dragons that once they punch us in the face a couple times, we will fold because we always do. do.
So true. One of the things that drives me nuts and makes me not want to watch this group anymore. They really do think they are special. There has never seen a more pompous but completely average bunch. They act like they are beating a top 10 team when they go on a little run and take the lead against UMASS. Its comical but certainly a product of Mooney babying them.

So true. One of the things that drives me nuts and makes me not want to watch this group anymore. They really do think they are special. There has never seen a more pompous but completely average bunch. They act like they are beating a top 10 team when they go on a little run and take the lead against UMASS. Its comical but certainly a product of Mooney babying them.
I wouldn't argue with you if in your opinion they were overrated or underperforming, but I don't think of them as pompous at all. that's a negative personality trait. no idea where you get that.

Reactions: plydogg
How hot is the seat now and is there any way MoonMan cools it off a bit by end of season? I was very optimistic early on in the season but this just has the feeling of another year where we go 1-1 in the A-10 tournament and get bounced in the quarters in the NIT or CBI

I wouldn't argue with you if in your opinion they were overrated or underperforming, but I don't think of them as pompous at all. that's a negative personality trait. no idea where you get that.
Pompous might not be the right word. I would say the have a lot of hubris or whatever the opposite would be of playing with a chip on our shoulders would be. That is this team.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
Anyone who thinks we are going to make a run in the a10 tourney is betting against the odds and the facts, that's for sure. We've only made one SEMIFINAL since 2011. Davidson, on the other hand, has made ALL OF THEM since 2016.

In fact, since 2011 we have only made the QUARTERFINALS the same number of times Davidson has made the semifinals since 2016 (five).

Davidson has made at least the semis every single season since they joined the conference.

Even in 2017 when they finished 8–10 in regular season A-10 and had a 9-seed, they got it together and beat La Salle and then #1 Dayton in the quarters.

Reactions: Eight Legger
we need leadership in this program that operates based on reality. Not what might have been. Not what could have been. Not what should have been. Not fantasy nor fairytale. REALITY.

This is satirical at this point. Moonie the comedian.
Leadership?

See the MY VIEW thread.

Leadership - That's why we have the BOT, athletic staff, and UR Admin. I think we can all agree that they are leading the way, correct? They are an astute group & have delivered successful results, yes?

• Haha
Reactions: 8legs1dream
I’m trying to figure out if he really believes this. Yes or no, it’s exceptionally alarming that the guy leading the crew makes this statement.
I think he has to say it publicly (and probably to the team) or at least something like it. He needs to provide confidence and hope. Granted, I’d rather hear something like “we know we have to scrap and fight for everything, and we’ve put ourselves behind the eight ball, but I think if we go on a run the way Davidson has, we can put ourselves right back in the NCAA picture.” But the overall messaging is relatively the same.

I mean, I think it would be worse if he said what most on this board think is true and say, something along the lines of, “the season is over for us at this point. I know we have 12 games plus the A-10 tourney left, but they don’t matter and everything is hopeless.”

Reactions: bullfrog91
I've wondered about how demanding Mooney is or isn't on his players. I think I recall Ododa after he transferred to Pitt saying he'd never worked harder than he had at Pitt.

Appearance is everything.

Unfortunately one’s appearance does not directly lead to a NCAA appearance.
His brown shoes, though. As a comedian on the Tonight Show years ago put it, "ever feel like the world is a tuxedo and you're a pair of brown shoes?"

Reactions: whampas
I think he has to say it publicly (and probably to the team) or at least something like it. He needs to provide confidence and hope. Granted, I’d rather hear something like “we know we have to scrap and fight for everything, and we’ve put ourselves behind the eight ball, but I think if we go on a run the way Davidson has, we can put ourselves right back in the NCAA picture.” But the overall messaging is relatively the same.

I mean, I think it would be worse if he said what most on this board think is true and say, something along the lines of, “the season is over for us at this point. I know we have 12 games plus the A-10 tourney left, but they don’t matter and everything is hopeless.”
I don’t know that you have to say anything. You could classic “coach speak” this and talk about one game at a time, yada yada.

It just feels delusional to think you’re gonna rip off 14 straight. But perhaps I’ll win the lottery tonight, so maybe.

1 for 8 for three. Thanks Mooney. Keeping Lasalle in the game with this poor shooting. Live and die by the three today.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT