ADVERTISEMENT

Official hot seat thread Mooney

Gospiders06

Team Manager
Jan 25, 2018
Mooney get rid of your suit and actually coach for once. I know 17 years of being mediocre are okay to you. But we are spending MILLIONS on new facilities/renovations.
Can you possible change what you do? Sitting around this arena with empty seats and empty promises. Can we please just fire the CLOWN now.

ALSO BURN YOUR SWEATER VEST. Please and thank you. Get rid of that TINY Dixie cup.

Mooney you're on the list. Better start winning......

The color commentator on the broadcast says CM is one of the best coaches in the country. Nothing to see here. Move on.
The sad thing is that the administration hears that and believes it. Anytime they hear us complain that just come back with “well the experts say he’s one of the best coaches in the country.”

I don’t get it. His accomplishments don’t back up their stupid and factually incorrect statements.

But they were just doing their job and reading the teleprompter provided by the athletic depratment - winningest coach in school history.........(they don't get paid if they do the slighest bit of research and also say losingest coach in school history)

Inability to make clutch plays down the stretch. Giving your opponents extra opportunities. No one asked about our record during the postgame.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
The sad thing is that the administration hears that and believes it. Anytime they hear us complain that just come back with “well the experts say he’s one of the best coaches in the country.”
I agree with this. This disaster isn't only on Mooney. I don't blame him for cashing the fat paychecks as long as UR is dumb enough to write them. The fact that he is even still the coach is unbelievable. This is a total failure of the administration, faculty, AD, and anyone else that accepts the results. I also hate hearing the "CM is a nice guy/represents the school well" argument. Any coach is expected to represent his school well. When you make a million bucks a year especially in a visible position like head coach @ an A10 level school, your results are fair game to be criticized and scrutinized. I'm also disappointed in the local media for failing to cover the state of the program. Matt Josephs is the only one that will even acknowledge there is an issue. Al and Bob won't mention it. Pitiful.

Just wait until (if?) Mooney gets his 300th win. Banner will go up and they will probably place his name on the floor next to Tarrant.

• Angry
Reactions: 8legs1dream
I swear to God if mooney ever has his name on the court… As far as the local media not covering mooneys failures, does anyone have a guess as to why this might be? I seriously think sometimes that the school tells them to keep quiet. It’s gotta be that or the fact that vcu matters more here and they want mooney to stay as UR’s coach forever.

Well only two TV stations even have sports reporters anymore, and O'Connor doesn't really rock many boats. There need to be reporters for there to be reporters to ask tough questions. Would be nice to see David Teel write an opinion piece, though. He's a pretty intuitive columnist.

Reactions: urfan1
If Mooney quit what Q1 or Q2 school would hire him? At what price?

If Mooney quit what Q1 or Q2 school would hire him? At what price?
No Big 5, AAC or Big East team would touch him. Maybe a desparate Mountain West team would take him remembering that one glorious (/s) season at Air Force. All other conferences would have a team or two who would take a chance on him, especially if they've been disappointing. I include the A-10 as having a couple of teams that would take a chance on him (mainly Fordham and La Salle).

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Mooney, if let go from UR, could easily land somewhere in the Ivy or Patriot league with his background and record. I could also see him landing as an assistant coach somewhere too for a few years if he chooses, but that might not be something he wants to do at this point in his career.

Go back to wedding planning. Invest wisely the money paid the last 10 years, watch your kids grow up and enjoy life.

Will be an interesting rest of the season.
8 away games, and 5 home games.
4 of the 5 are VCU, SBU, SLU and Dayton...

Depending on how it turns out could be an interesting performance review...

part of the dumbing of America, we get our news from social media. Yes, I include message boards!

Yes the ability and opportunity to type on a keyboard gives us all an influence. Kind of scary when I thought the message board was for entertainment value and not news! Our minister likes to say we can all be brave keyboard warriors anonymously typing away and should be careful what we type..

I’m thinking of a color analysis on TV. Makes a nice appearance, speaks well, does know the game even
though he doesn’t seem to be able to impart the knowledge to his players. Maybe coverage of Ivy League
Basketball.
Hey, Dr. G has made a nice second career out of it after one good year and a bunch of bad ones at LaSalle. Maybe he can give Mooney some tips. Mooney is a loser.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
Hey, Dr. G has made a nice second career out of it after one good year and a bunch of bad ones at LaSalle. Maybe he can give Mooney some tips. Mooney is a loser.
Dr. G even got himself an AD position as his day job.

Forgot about that! Hey, maybe he can make Moondog associate AD at Rowan. I hear New Jersey is nice this time of the century. Mooney is a loser.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
Will be an interesting rest of the season.
8 away games, and 5 home games.
4 of the 5 are VCU, SBU, SLU and Dayton...

Depending on how it turns out could be an interesting performance review...
Unless they show us something differently, then the reviews are formalities & nothing more. Actions matter; words don't.

I’m thinking of a color analysis on TV. Makes a nice appearance, speaks well, does know the game even
though he doesn’t seem to be able to impart the knowledge to his players. Maybe coverage of Ivy League
Basketball.
Wouldn’t he have to explain why teams go after Offensive rebound? I’m not sure he could

• Haha
Reactions: spider fan
The whole hot seat debate all depends on how the administration views the last 2 years. We came off two losing seasons to go 24-7 and finish 2nd in A10, but no post-season cause of COVID. How do you count that? Is that an NCAA appearance in his performance review?
Then the next year - COVID really hit, then injuries - and we go 14-9, finish 8th in a short season cause of COVID. Does he get a pass on that one? Cause of injuries and COVID?

This year - no doubt has been a disappointment to this point. But - if he beats VCU and finishes middle of the pack A10 and somehow gets into NIT (by maybe ways of COVID and teams ahead of us not playing) - then what?

Remember - our administration is not trying to win, just compete.

• Sad
Reactions: nathanw19
The whole hot seat debate all depends on how the administration views the last 2 years. We came off two losing seasons to go 24-7 and finish 2nd in A10, but no post-season cause of COVID. How do you count that? Is that an NCAA appearance in his performance review?
Then the next year - COVID really hit, then injuries - and we go 14-9, finish 8th in a short season cause of COVID. Does he get a pass on that one? Cause of injuries and COVID?

This year - no doubt has been a disappointment to this point. But - if he beats VCU and finishes middle of the pack A10 and somehow gets into NIT (by maybe ways of COVID and teams ahead of us not playing) - then what?

He's not getting fired. Administration is clueless.

If we were in the NCAA 2 years ago. With basically the same group minus Francis. How does anyone defend this? You went 14-9 last year this year currently 10-7. How much more mediocre you want it? The best class ever is .500 the past two years. Next year we have a losing season. And blame youth and inexperience. Just get rid of Mooney and actually start a rebuild. By constantly making excuses you avoid making any progress.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT