ADVERTISEMENT

Next up LaSalle...

Lasalle was absolutely terrible. I honestly felt like they made us worse just being on the same court as them. glad to get the win and move on. must play much better if we are going to beat VCU in a week.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Good Defense by Spiders. 24 TO's by laSalle. 40 TO's total in pretty sloppy game. Good for us to get the win while shooting poorly from 3. Rebounded about even. 12 point away win is always good.

I would love to see our guys get fired up to finish the season strong. I really think if we play with intensity that we can finish the season 6-0. Finishing at 15-3 in conference and 21-9 on the regular season would make the A-10 tourny interesting for us as a possible at large bubble team

Lasalle was absolutely terrible. I honestly felt like they made us worse just being on the same court as them. glad to get the win and move on. must play much better if we are going to beat VCU in a week.
And what about GMU? I hope CM will figure out a way to stop their dribble penetration.

I would love to see our guys get fired up to finish the season strong. I really think if we play with intensity that we can finish the season 6-0. Finishing at 15-3 in conference and 21-9 on the regular season would make the A-10 tourny interesting for us as a possible at large bubble team
I think you are right. The GMU game I see as the toughest since they beat us handly last time.

Tremendous defense today our guys were all over the ball stripping it causing turnovers really enjoyed seeing that.

I agree we need to find a way to stop Masons penetration I hope Mooney has something up his sleeve

I'd love to hear someone ask Mooney on Monday night what his plan is to beat GMU....GMU is not good enough that they should sweep us this year

Want to give a big shout out to CM. Didnt see or hear the game as was playing golf but he deserves props for the job he has done this year. He gets a lot of crap on here, sometimes deservedly so, but this is his team, he recruuted them, and he has gotten them to mesh together such that we have sevaral road wins and stand 1 game back of the co-leaders at 15-9. This after a less than stellar ooc record.

Reactions: spiders13
I really like our starting 5 at this stage of season, when they are on the Court we're a pretty good team at both ends... they played as unit for most of the last 10 minutes and that's a big part of why we pulled away and were able to maintain lead, SDJ played 39 minutes and only got subbed out at the end and went to end of bench, hope he's OK and up for Tuesday b/c we will need him.

The downside of course is we have no bench production whatsoever, I'm OK with Kwesi and Joe stealing some minutes, need something a bit more from JJ, and not sure what to do with MW at this point, we need some depth but he seems to hurt us whenever he's on the Court, would be great to Grant back.

Reactions: SpiderK
I hope he won't answer that question before the game. Lol
haha yeah true. i guess id just like mooney to acknowledge that he needs to coach our guys up differently for this game because obviously something mason does gives us fits unlike any other team in the conference. mooney has been coaching better of late...better use of timeouts etc. He will get it done on wed.

Reactions: SpiderK
Want to give a big shout out to CM. Didnt see or hear the game as was playing golf but he deserves props for the job he has done this year. He gets a lot of crap on here, sometimes deservedly so, but this is his team, he recruuted them, and he has gotten them to mesh together such that we have sevaral road wins and stand 1 game back of the co-leaders at 15-9. This after a less than stellar ooc record.

+1.

I really like our starting 5 at this stage of season, when they are on the Court we're a pretty good team at both ends... they played as unit for most of the last 10 minutes and that's a big part of why we pulled away and were able to maintain lead, SDJ played 39 minutes and only got subbed out at the end and went to end of bench, hope he's OK and up for Tuesday b/c we will need him.

The downside of course is we have no bench production whatsoever, I'm OK with Kwesi and Joe stealing some minutes, need something a bit more from JJ, and not sure what to do with MW at this point, we need some depth but he seems to hurt us whenever he's on the Court, would be great to Grant back.
Have to agree with all above. The bench has to help out in the minutes they play. JJ has just disappeared on offense after his big game. I have no idea why MW all of a sudden has two left feet. Starting 5 will need help in this stretch run, hope the bench steps up to contribute more. Glad to see the freshman combine for 21 and 12 rebounds. Like to see us with 5 less turnovers, but we did rebound well today.

Last edited:
I wouldnt go as far as say he has done a good job "this year." We are 108 in rpi and our best win is uri at home so I wouldnt go crazy. Yes we seem to be improving and are winning games we should win. Lets reinvestigate his job approval after the GMU game to see if he learned anything from their dominating win at Robins.

After the less than stellar 6-6 OOC start our in conference play has shown we have improved reaching the 9-3 record at this point. Mason has had our number and changes need to be made from the last time we played them to stop the easy inside baskets. LaSalle's miseries today were due to the good defensive pressure applied by Buck and Sherod in particular. Our speed was on display and there is a way to apply more pressure on Mason to slow down their scoring which is essential to achieve a win.

We are playing really well. There was a time not long ago when Mooney's teams could not bust a grape on the road and so when we win easily against a good LaSalle team, I have to give credit where credit is due.

We are a very dangerous team that is getting better. We all know that we have to win the A 10 tourney to make the tournament but unlike past years I feel this team has a legitimate chance to do just that.

I wouldnt go as far as say he has done a good job "this year." We are 108 in rpi and our best win is uri at home so I wouldnt go crazy. Yes we seem to be improving and are winning games we should win. Lets reinvestigate his job approval after the GMU game to see if he learned anything from their dominating win at Robins.

Fatherspider, the team has done a great job thus far. There was a time earlier in the season when you and many others here wouldn't have expected this growth in our team. While GMU is another yardstick for us...it doesn't lessen the success to this point.

Fatherspider, the team has done a great job thus far. There was a time earlier in the season when you and many others here wouldn't have expected this growth in our team. While GMU is another yardstick for us...it doesn't lessen the success to this point.
Why cant you accept that others dont have the same yardstick as you when determining the level of success the team has had thus far? I am happy with the recent success but to say CM has done a great job "this year" when we are 15-9 w no chance of being on the bubble is an overstatement IMO. Can you respect that?

Reactions: iSpider
And what about GMU? I hope CM will figure out a way to stop their dribble penetration.
Was thinking the same thing. Last game at the RC, GMU really took it to the paint & overall shot well. Not sure what it is about GMU, but they seem to get up for us.

Why cant you accept that others dont have the same yardstick as you when determining the level of success the team has had thus far? I am happy with the recent success but to say CM has done a great job "this year" when we are 15-9 w no chance of being on the bubble is an overstatement IMO. Can you respect that?

I do respect your opinion.
We both have our divergent opinion, lol. You are good!!!

My opinion is that you take a yardstick and stab it in Mooney's back every time we lose a game. So yes, you have different yardsticks. They are sharp and pointy and you've only been able to use them 3 times in the last 12 games. Most of the rest of us find some joy in the progress.

I visited Lasalle for the first time yesterday. Great W for our guys. My big takeaway was the pathetic Lasalle facilities. I have seen TGA on TV...and heard jokes about Lasalle facilities and surroundings but it was still a stunning sight in person.

Lasalle should be in the MAAC. It is incredible that Doctor JG has had them as competitive as he has with what he has to work with. If the A10 had any self respect, they'd force Lasalle to invest in facilities... or tell them to take a hike.

There was a good turnout of Spider supporters up there. Very good to see.

I visited Lasalle for the first time yesterday. Great W for our guys. My big takeaway was the pathetic Lasalle facilities. I have seen TGA on TV...and heard jokes about Lasalle facilities and surroundings but it was still a stunning sight in person.

Lasalle should be in the MAAC. It is incredible that Doctor JG has had them as competitive as he has with what he has to work with. If the A10 had any self respect, they'd force Lasalle to invest in facilities... or tell them to take a hike.

Mo, my daughter and I ventured to Lasalle a couple of years ago. Have to agree with the stunning lack of facilities and the condition of those that existed. Having said that, the people there were very hospitable and we had great Philly cheesesteaks at a small place near campus prior to tipoff. The Doc has done a great job given the facilities.

Reactions: MolivaManiac
Props to Kwesi yesterday for giving Cline several quick breaks, not turning the ball over, and playing solid d.

Except for the free throws. He is a perfect candidate for trying the granny style free throw.

Reactions: urfan1
Props to Kwesi yesterday for giving Cline several quick breaks, not turning the ball over, and playing solid d.

Completely agree. Very solid minutes from Kwesi. And we didn't bring him in for the awful free throws. He's here to rebound and eat fouls and he's doing a decent job of both. I'm glad he's here.

That's why this and a few other facilities just don't cut it for the A10 being in a discussion when talking 5/6 leagues. Maybe the A10 cutting loose ..... say 2/4 teams would benefit their image?

Seems BEast wants to more teams. I'm all aboard with Spiders moving to BEast even if taking their lumps for a few years. Them and Dayton sets up X/Flyer rivalry again and no reason a UR/George rivalry can't begin.

And Mo feel good it wasn't a night game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT