ADVERTISEMENT

Next up LaSalle...

I visited Lasalle for the first time yesterday. Great W for our guys. My big takeaway was the pathetic Lasalle facilities. I have seen TGA on TV...and heard jokes about Lasalle facilities and surroundings but it was still a stunning sight in person.

Lasalle should be in the MAAC. It is incredible that Doctor JG has had them as competitive as he has with what he has to work with. If the A10 had any self respect, they'd force Lasalle to invest in facilities... or tell them to take a hike.

There was a good turnout of Spider supporters up there. Very good to see.

La Salle cannot invest in facilities because they have severe financial issues and are on the verge of shutting down as a school.

Completely agree. Very solid minutes from Kwesi. And we didn't bring him in for the awful free throws. He's here to rebound and eat fouls and he's doing a decent job of both. I'm glad he's here.
He did an awesome job filling in. Our D may be better with him guarding the post. We just cant let him catch the ball on offense when we are in the bonus.

My opinion is that you take a yardstick and stab it in Mooney's back every time we lose a game. So yes, you have different yardsticks. They are sharp and pointy and you've only been able to use them 3 times in the last 12 games. Most of the rest of us find some joy in the progress.
And my post doesnt express joy in the progress? I guess you didnt read it. The recent success of the team is encouraging and exciting and CM should be applauded but the original post I was replying to said "a good year" which I think is a stretch considering our overall record and rpi, which I know many here would agree with.

If you are so thin skinned that you feel the need to reprimand every post and poster that expresses criticism of CM, then you should not be on a message board. I dont know if your parents told you so I will, not everyone has the same opinion as you do.

Beat Mason on the road and VCU at home and we are seriously in business. Not saying we'd get a bid but we will be on the bubble.
I hope ur right. Three teams in A-10 with rpi way above ours as they showed last night is a big problem. UD VCU and URI all much better so unless A10 gets 4 teams we would have to get a bid over one of them.

I'd think we have to run the table to get an NCAA bid. I know I have a minority view here, I'd welcome an NIT bid. Hope to not get to caught up with such speculation, enjoy each game, one at a time.. Love La Salle game thought I thought the video streaming was inferior.

Reactions: urfan1
I hope ur right. Three teams in A-10 with rpi way above ours as they showed last night is a big problem. UD VCU and URI all much better so unless A10 gets 4 teams we would have to get a bid over one of them.
I think in part this displays why the RPI is not a great measuring stick. Are we really 60 spors worse than VCU right now? Of course not. Are we 45 spots worse than Rhode Island, who we beat? Of course not. We lost a couple games early that are disproportionately holding down our RPI. I hope the committee takes some other factors into account.

If we finish 14-4 in the A10 and beat VCU by, say, 15 Friday, then get another win against one of the other top 4 teams in the A10 tourney, we'll most likely have three top 50 wins. That puts us squarely on the bubble.

RPI has become less influential in the selection process, although the "objective" ratings systems like RPI/Kenpom have their place in the apples to apples comparison objective. I think SOS continues to gain importance but I also think there's more recency bias about how teams are closing out the season than how they started it. If so to this last point, it gives us a shot however small it may be.

RPI is a drug for some of you guys. We are not getting an At Large bid even if we win our remaining games and lose in the A10 title game.

It is all about positioning for Pittsburgh and beating our rival in the process.

Reactions: wr70beh and whampas
The way Mason has owned us to the point of embarrassment I would give a big sigh of relief if we can beat them on Tuesday.... It has to be one game at a time, don't overlook anyone, and see how it plays out..............

Reactions: urfan1 and iSpider
Article says we are #15 in the country at 3 pt defense. I knew we had improved in that category this year but I didn't realize it was to that extent. Anyone know where we finished last year in 3 pt defense?
As of today we are 9th, last season we were 254th...

RPI is a drug for some of you guys. We are not getting an At Large bid even if we win our remaining games and lose in the A10 title game.

It is all about positioning for Pittsburgh and beating our rival in the process.
I don't know...
I think if we win out the regular season, and in Pittsburgh, and one game in NCAA then we will get an At-Large...

Reactions: SpiderK
It's all speculative and highly unlikely to happen, but if we win out until the title game and lose by a couple points, we would be 23-10, 15-3 in the Atlantic 10, 17-4 in our final 21 games and possible outright or co-regular season champions. At that point, regardless of what the RPI says, we would have earned a bid.

Is there anyway to watch the replay of yesterday's game with La Salle? My dad missed it and wanted to watch it. Thx

It's all speculative and highly unlikely to happen, but if we win out until the title game and lose by a couple points, we would be 23-10, 15-3 in the Atlantic 10, 17-4 in our final 21 games and possible outright or co-regular season champions. At that point, regardless of what the RPI says, we would have earned a bid.

I think the lambs were 21-11 the year they got the final at large bid.........their final four year.

No. This is the type of MindF___ that will have half this board ready to fire Mooney in the fairly likely event that we lose on Tuesday to the GooMoos.

La Salle cannot invest in facilities because they have severe financial issues and are on the verge of shutting down as a school.

By my count, the Explorers earned roughly $5M from their share of the sweet 16 in 2013. Unless they gave it all to Doctor JG, they should have a few crumbs leftover.

Right now my biggest concern is getting the best seed possible for the A10 tourney. If we can go 5-1 with a win against VCU I think we land the #2 seed. I think VCU will lose to us, Dayton, and URI.

I think u are right but the question we are asking is if that is fair? If we run the table and lose the title game to Dayton on a last second shot and end up 22-10, are we not one of the 64 best teams? The committee needs to reward teams for showing great improvement as the season goes on. I know it wont happen but by season end, a game played in early Dec should have very little relevance.

Where would our rpi be if we had not lost to ORU? Probably 30 points higher.

Reactions: Eight Legger
We would have to do something extraordinary to earn an at-large, given how bad our OOC performance was. But at least we still have the chance.

I have a right to my opinions too. You don't have a copyright my friend.
But You try to stifle opinions. You are rosy and thats fine. I have never told you to stop being rosy all the time. Im more critical about performance of coach and team and you and others constantly try to stifle that viewpoint with critically personal posts.

We would have to do something extraordinary to earn an at-large, given how bad our OOC performance was. But at least we still have the chance.
TJ may be our ace in the hole if we play well and get to bubble status in front of the committee. He is one of the best all around college players in the country and the son of a basketball legend. It's a story the NCAA and CBS can promote. Not to mention he is the most intelligent, articulate and insightful interview in college basketball. Just a thought.

Last edited:
By my count, the Explorers earned roughly $5M from their share of the sweet 16 in 2013. Unless they gave it all to Doctor JG, they should have a few crumbs leftover.

They had a budget deficit of ~$12 million a year or two ago which is ~14% of their endowment. Not a good way to stay in business. That $5 million in NCAA units is spread over 6 years, it barely puts a dent in their deficit. There is no fiscally responsible way for them to invest in new facilities, they are doing all they can just to keep the school running.

Reactions: MolivaManiac
They had a budget deficit of ~$12 million a year or two ago which is ~14% of their endowment. Not a good way to stay in business. That $5 million in NCAA units is spread over 6 years, it barely puts a dent in their deficit. There is no fiscally responsible way for them to invest in new facilities, they are doing all they can just to keep the school running.

I'm afraid St. Joe's might be next. Most of the Catholic schools in Philly (with the exception of Villanova) are having enrollment problems, coupled with the fact that these schools rely heavily on tuition/room and board money coming in, any fluctuation in enrollment equals trouble.

TJ may be our ace in the hole if we play well and get to bubble status in front of the committee. He is one of the best all around college players in the country and the son of a basketball legend. It's a story the NCAA and CBS can promote. Not to mention he is the most intelligent, articulate and insightful interview in college basketball. Just a thought.

Yes i think this is a very good fact about television and school and athletic director should beat the dtum about this now

I'm afraid St. Joe's might be next. Most of the Catholic schools in Philly (with the exception of Villanova) are having enrollment problems, coupled with the fact that these schools rely heavily on tuition/room and board money coming in, any fluctuation in enrollment equals trouble.
I propose a three-way merger. Welcome to St. Drexsalle University!

Where would our rpi be if we had not lost to ORU? Probably 30 points higher.

rpiforecast.com actually has an "rpi wizard" where you can change the results of any past games and/or enter any future results and it let's you see the effect on RPI (disclaimer - I know a lot of you don't care about rpi, if so, just avoid reading this)

Changing the Oral Roberts game from a loss to a win takes our current rpi from 90 to 81, not 30 points but you can see it dragging us down.

A win at Mason tomorrow night puts us in the 80's - still not where we want to be but light years ahead of where we were at the start of conference play.

Just keep winning and the rest will take care of itself.

Right now my biggest concern is getting the best seed possible for the A10 tourney. If we can go 5-1 with a win against VCU I think we land the #2 seed. I think VCU will lose to us, Dayton, and URI.

Got to think VCU has used up their luck for this year & maybe next with 2 back to back last second victories in games they should have lost.

I hope we school them big time this Friday at RC.

Reactions: Eight Legger
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT