ADVERTISEMENT

Next up LaSalle...

I believe the committee has determined the rpi is not a great measure, but that being said I heard this weekend the highest rated at large rpi to date is 72. We still have work to do. several of our remaining games are against 200 + rpi teams. A win may still hurt our rpi standing.

I agree with you urfan1that we do have further work to do, but if we continue to take care of business as the last two years where we did have a serious chance to slide into the ncaa's. Then we a slight chance to make it. Just my thoughts good or bad....

I'm afraid St. Joe's might be next. Most of the Catholic schools in Philly (with the exception of Villanova) are having enrollment problems, coupled with the fact that these schools rely heavily on tuition/room and board money coming in, any fluctuation in enrollment equals trouble.

St Joe's will be fine. Very different story than LaSalle for many reasons and much more stable.

I believe the committee has determined the rpi is not a great measure, but that being said I heard this weekend the highest rated at large rpi to date is 72. We still have work to do. several of our remaining games are against 200 + rpi teams. A win may still hurt our rpi standing.

We have no shot at an at-large. None. Highest RPI possible (win out, win 2 in A-10 including another win over VCU and lose to DAyton in final) is probably just barely in or just barely out of Top 50 and an RPI in that range won't generally do it and to do it, you need something else to hang your hat on. We got nothing to hang our hat on.

But, forget RPI. The Committee for the past several years has deemphasized that and (despite what others say) has heavily emphasized what you do in your Non-conference schedule. This will be especially true for any A-10 team this year. The A-10 is undeniably down. Thus any results in the A-10 the Committee will want to "validate". This has included looking at the quality of the OOC schedule (did you play a tough schedule) and a qualitative analysis of your results (ok - - great, you played 4 Top 10 schools but you got waxed by 30 every time). Our OOC schedule was weak by at-large standards and our results weaker yet. There is not a single positive to that portion of the schedule and many, many bad things. Lost at home to ODU, lost to ORU, lost to every borderline decent team we played (Md., Texas Tech, Wake, Bucknell). No one of those borderline losses is by itself a bad loss, but none of those teams is a lock at-large and we lost to all of them.

Unfortunately, even beating up on the (bad this year) A-10 isn't going to get us a sniff. Just win the A-10 tourney and go from there!

Right now my biggest concern is getting the best seed possible for the A10 tourney. If we can go 5-1 with a win against VCU I think we land the #2 seed. I think VCU will lose to us, Dayton, and URI.
I like your thinking, but it's way too much to expect.
I'd be satisfied if we beat them and we will probably be a 3 point underdog.

We have no shot at an at-large. None. Highest RPI possible (win out, win 2 in A-10 including another win over VCU and lose to DAyton in final) is probably just barely in or just barely out of Top 50 and an RPI in that range won't generally do it and to do it, you need something else to hang your hat on. We got nothing to hang our hat on.

But, forget RPI. The Committee for the past several years has deemphasized that and (despite what others say) has heavily emphasized what you do in your Non-conference schedule. This will be especially true for any A-10 team this year. The A-10 is undeniably down. Thus any results in the A-10 the Committee will want to "validate". This has included looking at the quality of the OOC schedule (did you play a tough schedule) and a qualitative analysis of your results (ok - - great, you played 4 Top 10 schools but you got waxed by 30 every time). Our OOC schedule was weak by at-large standards and our results weaker yet. There is not a single positive to that portion of the schedule and many, many bad things. Lost at home to ODU, lost to ORU, lost to every borderline decent team we played (Md., Texas Tech, Wake, Bucknell). No one of those borderline losses is by itself a bad loss, but none of those teams is a lock at-large and we lost to all of them.

Unfortunately, even beating up on the (bad this year) A-10 isn't going to get us a sniff. Just win the A-10 tourney and go from there!
Agree that OOC was really bad. It sucks that the committee's hands are tied to not be able to reward teams that improve greatly as the season goes on and obviously are entirely different teams by seasons end.

It
This is your typical spidernation.com MindF___. We lost the game so who cares?
its just a question!!! We were discussing the legitimacy of rpi and how a game early on shouldnt be weighted the same as later on. And how one lose can completely kill rpi for the whole season, which isnt fair. I guess you have a mental problem because your mind gets f----d pretty easily.

rpiforecast.com actually has an "rpi wizard" where you can change the results of any past games and/or enter any future results and it let's you see the effect on RPI (disclaimer - I know a lot of you don't care about rpi, if so, just avoid reading this)

Changing the Oral Roberts game from a loss to a win takes our current rpi from 90 to 81, not 30 points but you can see it dragging us down.

A win at Mason tomorrow night puts us in the 80's - still not where we want to be but light years ahead of where we were at the start of conference play.

Just keep winning and the rest will take care of itself.
Thanks for that info. I would have thought it would be more. The Mason win is just to keep the status quo and then a w against vcu gives us a nice bump. Still very hopeful thinking though.

We can tell the committee we led Maryland 24-10. So we've got that going for us.

Joking aside, it's a shame that this team is likely outside looking in. They have really come into their own and could scare a lot of teams in the tournament.

I like your thinking, but it's way too much to expect.
I'd be satisfied if we beat them and we will probably be a 3 point underdog.
I expect the next 5 games to be
GMU - 1 pt underdog
VCU - 1 pt underdog
Davidson - 3 pt favorite
Fordham - 4 pt favorite
UMass - 2 pt underdog

Now if we can just play like we did as a 3 pt underdog at LaSalle...

its just a question!!! We were discussing the legitimacy of rpi and how a game early on shouldnt be weighted the same as later on. And how one lose can completely kill rpi for the whole season, which isnt fair. I guess you have a mental problem because your mind gets f----d pretty easily.

"IF AND BUT'S ARE FOR CANDIES AND NUTS"

I thought I read that the head of the selection committee will be in our building on Friday night. Although I agree the chances of an at large are minimal, a top 3 conference record (at 13-5 or 14-4), a win or two in the conference tournament, plus a well-played win over VCU in front of the committee head? Just maybe.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT