ADVERTISEMENT

Gill Out the Door

Agreed. I asked the question because in context to the editorial that was referenced, the assertion was that UR should focus on academics, not athletics. Keefusb forwarded the largely inarguable notion that basketball success has enhanced the brand for Duke, WS, and Gonzaga, something with which I concur. But to the original article's point, I don't think it has enhanced any of their academic position/perception. I don't think about Wichita State as an academic powerhouse due to basketball success. Duke is, but it's not due to basketball, that's history and entropy at work.

I don't care much for the point of the article, I think the two are largely mutually exclusive. But in the same way that I think you can be academically focused and have a strong reputation while still being good at sports, I don't think a school's academic standing changes much if you are good at sports.
I think studies have shown applications and test scores go up with notible athletic success. Va Tech a fairly recent example.

I think studies have shown applications and test scores go up with notible athletic success. Va Tech a fairly recent example.
An Additional thought. I personally have written letters of recommendations for students who ended up being accepted to UR. Why? in part because I keep up with the University, why because of sports.

Reactions: SpiderK
Seems like he will be able to work out of DC full time and will still be on the selection committee. Pretty much a win for all parties involved.

Somewhat bizarre that Crutcher would go out of his way to write such a long email to the campus community about a soon-to-be-former UR employee's next job, no? Clearly they're doing everything they can to convince us all that Gill left of his own accord. I guess this was part of the deal they cut with him. Not sure who's fooled by it, though.

Last edited:
My natural assumption is this deal was in the works before he left and was part of the negotiated separation, but I wonder why they didn't just spin it as "moving up" to the new position at the conference level rather going through the rigamarole of stepping down and then taking the new position.

Right. What was the rush to have him "resign" two weeks ago when they could have done it all seamlessly and saved everyone some face, if that was the goal...which it seems to be, given the lengths to which UR is going to paint this as a resignation.

Actually, it's almost as if Gill planned it all himself (flashbacks to terrible Rocco-is-leaving press conference)...

Even if this had been well orchestrated and the new role agreed upon, many of the Spider faithful would still question if Keith was forced out. Again, it doesn't really matter. He is leaving, at least now he's landing somewhere that he can hopefully have a positive impact on Spider athletics without being at the helm of our program.

could have also been part of a deal to avoid any kind of wrongful termination or some other types of lawsuits.

My guess is he will be happier and hopefully so will we

Reactions: MolivaManiac
Somewhat bizarre that Gill would go out of his way to write such a long email to the campus community about a soon-to-be-former UR employee's next job, no? Clearly they're doing everything they can to convince us all that Gill left of his own accord. I guess this was part of the deal they cut with him. Not sure who's fooled by it, though.
Yes, I found that bizarre that they would send an e-mail about a soon to be ex-employees new job. Agree it sounds like part of the deal they cut him.

This whole train of events is bizarre, with JOC doing an article on Gill about how much he loves being here and then 2 weeks later he "resigns for personal reasons so he can take care of his sick girlfriend, and then 2 weeks later he suddenly has a brand new job. They are quite the spinmeisters over there.

They are quite the spinmeisters over there.

They're doing a bad job of it. They try to spin it, but many can see through that like Saran Wrap.

Did Gill replace anyone at the A-10 or did they create a position for him? If it's the latter, sounds like a quid pro quo kind of thing.

They are all lying, Mr Gill ,Mr Crutchen ,a10... They think this is all ok to do . Just the business time.
I do not think it is so...They smile and say to themselves no problem no problem At least Coach Moon is a man of honor\ , and I am glad for this

Reactions: Ulla1
That deal seemed pretty ill advised. Not a big surprise.
Ill advised is a good word. That whole deal we worked out with the A-10 behind the scenes to move Gill to the league offices, so it didn't look like we fired him and keep his spot on the NCAA selection committee, only to have their whole plan blown up by the crack reporting of the RTD was ripe for someone to call BS on it.

I don't often agree with the NCAA on much of anything but glad they called BS on that.

Gill finally got his seat on the basketball committee...

If we ever get ourselves truly on bubble come selection time not sure this is a good thing. I don't think we want to be borderline. And usually the non major members u can expect to have in your corner. Yet we have two - Gill and McGlade - that probably don't like us.

I'd love to see his resume. It has to be filled with do-nothing fluff talking points.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT