ADVERTISEMENT

Gill Out the Door

According to the article, admissions was a key component to this. I wonder if the next AD will do more to allow more recruiting freedom for the coaches?

Last edited:
To rise to national prominence we need all cylinders firing in unison. The AD, Alumni, The Coach, the Players, admissions, the administration, etc.

I have been a vocal supporter of Mooney in that I believe we would have had 3 additional NCAA appearances is the fine young players he had recruited had not been rejected by admissions. Some went on to flourish at other schools, both on the court and in the classroom.

This is an important step for our program. I like Gill but this is big business and getting to the next level demands results. We got the kid to agree to the school now it is time to get the school on board with the kid.

Reactions: sdspider
Updated my first post with statements from Crutcher and Gill.

To rise to national prominence we need all cylinders firing in unison. The AD, Alumni, The Coach, the Players, admissions, the administration, etc.

I have been a vocal supporter of Mooney in that I believe we would have had 3 additional NCAA appearances is the fine young players he had recruited had not been rejected by admissions. Some went on to flourish at other schools, both on the court and in the classroom.

This is an important step for our program. I like Gill but this is big business and getting to the next level demands results. We got the kid to agree to the school now it is time to get the school on board with the kid.

Well said. As has been discussed on this board, ad nauseum, we haven't made the NCAA in 6 years. I don't think anyone expected an NCAA bid in 2012 after KA and Harp graduated. KG has been Mooney's 'boss' in the 5 years since then. Hmmm.

Let's hope Mooney views this as a positive. I'm willing to take back every negative thing I've said about him and the program these last 6 years if things change with our next AD hire.

Reactions: spiderstudent17
Well said. As has been discussed on this board, ad nauseum, we haven't made the NCAA in 6 years. I don't think anyone expected an NCAA bid in 2012 after KA and Harp graduated. KG has been Mooney's 'boss' in the 5 years since then. Hmmm.
Hmmmmmmm. Mo, great point. Quite a coincidence. So does Mo Alie have another year of eligibility?

Hmmmmmmm. Mo, great point. Quite a coincidence. So does Mo Alie have another year of eligibility?

The entire trajectory of our program changed 5 years ago. Either Chris forgot how to coach at that time or something else happened.

"Richmond may be interested, according to the sources, in transitioning to a basketball-centric AD, given that the Spiders flagship sport is men's basketball, the one with the most revenue-producing potential."

Please, God, yes.

+1000000

"On March 3, Gill was appointed to the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Committee, effective Sept. 1.

The committee chooses teams that qualify for the NCAA tournament as at-large candidates and formulates the brackets, among other things. Positions on the committee are determined through a nomination process that involves the league to which the candidate’s school belongs and the region of the school and league."

So do you have to be affiliated with a school to be on the committee?

Sometimes you don't want what you wished for. And, it's been often commented on this
site what most wished for.
Changing AD's won't do much if the new AD has to work with the same restrictions.

The entire trajectory of our program changed 5 years ago. Either Chris forgot how to coach at that time or something else happened.
Have always maintained that Chris is a very good coach. Couple the present uptick in recruiting with a new proactive AD, we could be back to where we should be. Remember our previous AD, Jim Miller, a guy with great basketball experience, stuck with Chris during the darkest of nights believing that Chris would build Spider basketball.

Have always maintained that Chris is a very good coach. Couple the present uptick in recruiting with a new proactive AD, we could be back to where we should be. Remember our previous AD, Jim Miller, a guy with great basketball experience, stuck with Chris during the darkest of nights believing that Chris would build Spider basketball.
I agree with Ulla. I think if you guys are able to land an AD who is focused on basketball, you can hopefully get the recruits Mooney hadn't been able to get in before. I think Mooney is a good coach, especially with how much he gets out of his players. If UR is able to continue landing guys that are on a similar talent level to Sherod and Buckingham, the A10 is in trouble. Remember the season you guys swept us, and that was supposed to be Shaka's most stacked team? He's a good coach. He just needs the right support.

Reactions: MolivaManiac
Well, reading between the lines he was definitely fired. Bottom line is Gill was a nine to fiver and not all in. We all knew that. I rarely saw him at events or games. Walsh was already acting AD. Maybe he and Comey will start a business in NOVA.

Reactions: McSpider67
Sometimes you don't want what you wished for. And, it's been often commented on this
site what most wished for.
Changing AD's won't do much if the new AD has to work with the same restrictions.

I don't think anyone is denying that the AD will have restrictions. However, the sense a lot of us got on this board is that KG was very passive and complacent with the status quo, rather than advocating for the side of coaches/players to let in certain talented players who very well could succeed here academically, but just happen to have a bit lower scores than permitted

Another thing about Gill that I didn't like was how non-vocal he was about matters. I want an AD who talked about building national contenders and making public statements to hold coaches accountable. I want an AD who will be vocal about alumni funding and projects to improve UR athletics. I want an AD who will constantly try to push UR athletics to the next level. I understand it is certainly easier than done to achieve all these things, but to me Gill showed no initiative. I am really hoping the new AD will

Last edited:
a change in the admission deal will not come from the new athletic director but from the top, if it is coming. an AD cannot on his own change admissions, he can fight with them and massage them but cannot change the template they have from the administration. if the crutch says we are changing or fine-tuning the situation then the new guy may have a nicer toy to play with but if that change is not part of the new hire, then business as usual. interesting to see if we make a PC hire or the best person.

A few days ago, I said:

"Getting back to Gill, my perception is that Gill is a figurehead, and guys like David Walsh do most of the heavy lifting.

Would not hurt my feelings if Gill didn't get extended."

Wasn't Gill the guy who had "plenty of meat on his resume" and "has a great staff and is unquestionably the boss!"

Apparently NOT.

After reading Dr. Crutcher's announcement and touting the strong record of AD Keith Gill, I believe many are mis-characterizing Keith Gill's resignation including John O'Connor.

Athletic Director stepping down at University of Richmond
May 10, 2017
gill-promo-1000x563.jpg

University of Richmond President Ronald A. Crutcher announced today that he has accepted the resignation of Athletic Director Keith Gill, who is stepping down for personal reasons.

“Keith Gill has led our Division of Athletics with distinction and positioned the University of Richmond for future athletic success,” Crutcher said. “Under Keith’s leadership Richmond has won more than a dozen championships, expanded and enhanced our athletics facilities, and launched a varsity lacrosse squad that is now consistently ranked among the top teams in the nation.”

“While we will miss him as a colleague, and his focus on the athletic and academic development of our student-athletes, we fully understand and respect the personal reasons that have led Keith to make this difficult decision,” Crutcher said. “We are grateful for his service and we wish him and his family the very best.”

“I want to thank the Spider family for four and a half great years. I’m proud of all that we’ve accomplished, the impact we have had on Richmond athletics, and the life and academic experiences of our student-athletes,” Gill said. “Leaving the university at this point in our progress is bittersweet, but right now my primary focus has to be with my family. I want to thank you for your support of me and our athletics program. Go Spiders.”

Gill has served as the athletic director since 2012. During that time, Richmond Athletics won 14 conference championships, including the first ever for men’s lacrosse and women’s golf. Football participated in three consecutive NCAA playoffs, including advancing to the semi-finals and the quarter-finals. Men’s basketball advanced to two NIT quarterfinals. In addition, there have been 19 All-Americans.

Teams also excelled academically with the average team GPA during his tenure at 3.14 (out of 4.0). Eleven of 15 teams set GPA records and the average cumulative GPA for individual student-athletes climbed from 2.95 to 3.04. Also during his time, 23 athletes were named Academic All-Americans. Gill also launched a student-athlete study abroad program which has provided a study abroad experience to more than 140 student-athletes.

In addition, Richmond Athletics has made numerous improvements to its athletics facilities, including a complete renovation of the Robins Center.

Crutcher announced that deputy athletic director, David Walsh, will serve as interim athletic director and that a search for the Spiders’ next athletic director will be launched.

# # #

How many firings of public figures have been described as wanting "to spend more time with his family", or he/she is "stepping down for personal reasons".

Sounds like Gill was squeezed out if you ask me.

Right. If he wasn't pushed out, then why, less than two weeks ago, did JOC write a profile of Gill in which he talked about how much he loved being at UR and had no plans to go anywhere?
Exactly. People with power who get fired always are given the option to resign. Gill was canned and that is that.

Reactions: I-M-UR
How many firings of public figures have been described as wanting "to spend more time with his family", or he/she is "stepping down for personal reasons".

Sounds like Gill was squeezed out if you ask me.
I understand that there are legitimate personal issues with Keith's girlfriend/partner that of their own merit would justify him stepping down. I think it happened to coincide with a likely scenario that he wouldn't be renewed at the end of his contract and as such, going out proactively should improve his chances for whatever opportunity he seeks next. I wish him luck and at the same time look forward to a new AD who will be a strong voice for Spider athletics.

I wish him luck and at the same time look forward to a new AD who will be a strong voice for Spider athletics.

I always thought he was a nice guy, but really didn't understand what he needed to do to help the program excel. As above I wish him the best and hope that the next choice is much stronger

Reactions: Ulla1
I agree with Ulla. I think if you guys are able to land an AD who is focused on basketball, you can hopefully get the recruits Mooney hadn't been able to get in before. I think Mooney is a good coach, especially with how much he gets out of his players. If UR is able to continue landing guys that are on a similar talent level to Sherod and Buckingham, the A10 is in trouble. Remember the season you guys swept us, and that was supposed to be Shaka's most stacked team? He's a good coach. He just needs the right support.
Yea you'd love to see the status quo. Look at our record against you over Mooney's tenure, especially recently

I believe it is 16 - 4 VCU over 12 years

Last edited:
I feel that if UR is committed to excellence in athletics, it needs to make sure
that it has the right leaders in place with a full tool box. Yes, I am extremely proud
of our academics, but who says that a marginal player cannot exceed. If based on
just SAT scores I would have never gotten in. I did better in school when playing athletics, then
not.

College matures you, especially most athletes, due to need for improved time management
and grade point maintenance. More marginal academic athletes with good character is not
going to hurt the academic reputation of UR.

I always thought he was a nice guy, but really didn't understand what he needed to do to help the program excel. As above I wish him the best and hope that the next choice is much stronger
Mooney and Gill are cut from the same cloth. That is probably why they got along so well. Also why Danny did not. He wasn't as content with the laizze fair attitude that they both operate under.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT