ADVERTISEMENT

Gill Out the Door

Anyone think Caitlyn Jenner may have any interest? I'm not sure about her administrative skills, but her former athletic prowess would be hard to surpass. Rumor has it that she has lost favor with the Kardashians and is seeking a new and different professional setting.

It means be the reason the fire burns, don't be the Sparks that fly off of it. Sparks don't last, embers do. Embers are always burning. You could also say be a leader not a follower.
gotcha. don't love it though. sparks start the fire. without the spark ... no fire. embers are what remains of a dying fire. then they burn out. they're not always burning. not any I've seen.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...chigan-names-michael-alford-new-ad/101708822/

Central Michigan just hired an AD. He was the senior associate AD at Oklahoma. I know they play FBS football, but we should be able to attract someone of this caliber anyway.
Personally would prefer to we get someone who has worked as associate/assistant AD at a BCS school. If they come from a BCS school, they come from a college atmosphere that places a premium on winning.

Gill came from American, a school that prioritized academics. This played right into the hands of our priorities here and we saw the ramifications of that.

Miller came from NC State and that worked out pretty well for us (Mooney's 10 year contract not withstanding, but again it was a bold move and investment, and possibly with Miller being around for all 10 years, maybe if Mooney had the administrative back up he needed that that would have been the key to getting him over the hump.)

Reactions: Eight Legger
Personally would prefer to we get someone who has worked as associate/assistant AD at a BCS school. If they come from a BCS school, they come from a college atmosphere that places a premium on winning.

Totally agree with this. I just hope if we go this route, we're doing so with the understanding that we will give the person what he needs to implement that type of belief. I don't have anything against an up-and-comer if he or she is truly the right fit, but someone who's been at a P5 school in a second-in-command type of role would be my first preference if all else is equal.

Gill came from American, a school that prioritized academics. This played right into the hands of our priorities here and we saw the ramifications of that.

Miller came from NC State and that worked out pretty well for us (Mooney's 10 year contract not withstanding, but again it was a bold move and investment, and possibly with Miller being around for all 10 years, maybe if Mooney had the administrative back up he needed that that would have been the key to getting him over the hump.)
Prior to American, Keith Gill was a senior AD at Oklahoma, and had previously been an asst AD at Vanderbilt.

It's an oversimplification to say that just because someone comes from [a certain] background that they will be a fit/non-fit. As I stated previously, it matters more what kind of personality they have and if they are willing to go to bat to get the athletics department the resources it needs to be successful. That's actually comparatively easy at a big school that allocates bigger budgets for this kind of stuff. If I saw someone who was successful at it from an academically rigorous university, that would make me very interested in that candidate.

Prior to American, Keith Gill was a senior AD at Oklahoma, and had previously been an asst AD at Vanderbilt.

It's an oversimplification to say that just because someone comes from [a certain] background that they will be a fit/non-fit. As I stated previously, it matters more what kind of personality they have and if they are willing to go to bat to get the athletics department the resources it needs to be successful. That's actually comparatively easy at a big school that allocates bigger budgets for this kind of stuff. If I saw someone who was successful at it from an academically rigorous university, that would make me very interested in that candidate.

I agree completely it is an oversimplification. I think it does come down to personality and mindset as to what the person's vision is for the athletic department. Gill's vision obviously matched up with our hiring criteria 5 years ago. Hopefully, the vision our hiring committee has this go around is different and more like a BCS school's vision of its athletics than a Patriot League's school vision of their athletic programs.

I agree completely it is an oversimplification. I think it does come down to personality and mindset as to what the person's vision is for the athletic department. Gill's vision obviously matched up with our hiring criteria 5 years ago. Hopefully, the vision our hiring committee has this go around is different and more like a BCS school's vision of its athletics than a Patriot League's school vision of their athletic programs.
I don't know this definitively, but I think the disconnect here wasn't so much that we had a Patriot League vision for sports so much as it had to do with Keith not being the type of personality to go shake the bushes. If we had Patriot League aspirations then, there would be no reason for Keith to leave, which I think we all expect is due in part to him not pushing hard enough for athletic success.

I don't know this definitively, but I think the disconnect here wasn't so much that we had a Patriot League vision for sports so much as it had to do with Keith not being the type of personality to go shake the bushes. If we had Patriot League aspirations then, there would be no reason for Keith to leave, which I think we all expect is due in part to him not pushing hard enough for athletic success.

I'm just conjecturing as well but I think there were and are probably elements within our administration who do see as a better fit for the Patriot League. Cooper was our President not too long ago. So, I think for those folks Gill was a great match because he wasn't going to shake the bushes and push the more academia minded folks into discussions they didn't want to have.

However, his firing and JOC article about the rationale behind his dismissal (if you believe JOC's article) points that we are going to be looking for a different type of candidate this go round. And maybe we have a different mindset going on.

This entire thing if you are a fan of Richmond athletics should be seen as good news. Of course, we have to make the right hire, but we have smart people involved with this and trust that they will. We have a lot of to offer prospective candidates. Are signature sports are not broken(and football is the opposite of broken), but certainly they need an AD who will help them reach the next level.

A spark sets off something new and potentiall explosive. Not something that is left over and smoldering from a old fire. To each his own.

I liked JOC's column, and I think there are some legit questions there that must be answered internally.

I think the last sentence once again hits the nail on the head on one of the main pieces holding us back in hoops recently:

Does Richmond like the idea of an AD who thinks it’s appropriate to aggressively advocate for coaches during special situations in the admissions process, or will that be discouraged?

Reactions: KWeaver
as stated, if changes don't come from the top, does not matter who we hire, things will not change. if bruce jenner comes will he bring his life partner with him or leave them back in ca?

What say, Charles Barkley! He would get something going.
Lol, Sir Charles is way to conservative and politically incorrect for UR. The new safe spaces demanded around campus would cost us a fortune.

as stated, if changes don't come from the top, does not matter who we hire, things will not change. if bruce jenner comes will he bring his life partner with him or leave them back in ca?

I think Gill getting fired is a strong indicator that change is indeed coming from the top. There was nothing "acute" that caused his dismissal, we could have just stayed the course. We need to get the hire right, but I think the message has been sent.

Reactions: urfan1
Ok, I will throw out the name Nancy Lieberman as AD and TJ Cline as coach in 4 years. Or, Maybe Mike Flynn as AD. According to the news we would get a team full of tall Russians.

I think Gill getting fired is a strong indicator that change is indeed coming from the top. There was nothing "acute" that caused his dismissal, we could have just stayed the course. We need to get the hire right, but I think the message has been sent.
Agree completely.

A less famous Jay Bilas would be my choice. Find a former CBB star that has had a career in business or at least the business of selling basketball (not used cars like VCU's AD).

He would get pissed off at the admissions office, say a few choice words about them on Twitter, and then leave the first week.

Reactions: DukeDenver
RTD doing its best to torpedo things for us. (Hint for RTD editors: It's not an either/or situation.)

http://www.richmond.com/opinion/our...cle_da36426a-7658-59a2-af70-e2ec783c84e4.html

What a completely out of touch article that was probably written by someone who knows very little about UR, its athletics, and quite honestly just doesn't get it. This isn't an either or situation. No one wants to bring in kids to set them to fail. There are plenty of student athletes who succeed in college with the right mentorship and class schedule. We should be able to trust our coaches who see potential in a student-athlete even if his/her scores are a little less than our standards for them because tests are not the only metric to measure success. Think about peer institutions like UVA, Villanova, Wake Forest, and even Duke to some extent. They admit many students who may fall below the standards they set as an elite academic institution, but does it tarnish their reputation as an elite school in any way? Of course not.

In fact, athletics can help enhance a school's reputation by increasing its brand name and getting more student applications, which results in lowered acceptance rates. Athletics should not be seen in contrast to academics because as a school we should strive to have the best scientists, artists, writers, and even athletes who will go out into the real world and do big things in their respective fields.

I definitely think the school understands this notion, given the money invested in the basketball program over the years (3rd in the A10 I believe), mentioning continued success in athletics in their strategic plan, and the "stepping down" of our AD. However, this false mindset of athletics compromising academics will result in more "just good enough" out of our sports and not "annual national contenders" which is what we want and will truly benefit the University in the long run.

In fact, athletics can help enhance a school's reputation by increasing its brand name and getting more student applications, which results in lowered acceptance rates.

This is exactly what Duke, Gonzaga, Wichita State and others have done over the past 25 to 30 years.

Does Wichita State or Gonzaga have a strong academic reputation?
Gonzaga isn't an elite academic institution, but it's gotten much stronger over the past 20 years and they were able to reverse a declining enrollment that had the school in real trouble. Incoming student stats are up significantly even as enrollment has nearly doubled.

Donations are at an all-time high -- a capital campaign launched just last year already has received $226 million of its $250 million -- as are both applications and the school’s student profile. With more people seeking entry into Gonzaga, the school changed its admissions process in 2003, abandoning the less selective rolling admissions plan and going to a pooling program in which students are given a hard deadline to apply and are considered collectively.

In large part due to that shift, students today come to campus with an average 3.71 GPA and 1290 SAT score, up from 3.54 and 1159 in 1998.

http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebas...ll-program-helped-gonzaga-university-flourish

What a completely out of touch article that was probably written by someone who knows very little about UR, its athletics, and quite honestly just doesn't get it. This isn't an either or situation. No one wants to bring in kids to set them to fail. There are plenty of student athletes who succeed in college with the right mentorship and class schedule. We should be able to trust our coaches who see potential in a student-athlete even if his/her scores are a little less than our standards for them because tests are not the only metric to measure success. Think about peer institutions like UVA, Villanova, Wake Forest, and even Duke to some extent. They admit many students who may fall below the standards they set as an elite academic institution, but does it tarnish their reputation as an elite school in any way? Of course not.

In fact, athletics can help enhance a school's reputation by increasing its brand name and getting more student applications, which results in lowered acceptance rates. Athletics should not be seen in contrast to academics because as a school we should strive to have the best scientists, artists, writers, and even athletes who will go out into the real world and do big things in their respective fields.

I definitely think the school understands this notion, given the money invested in the basketball program over the years (3rd in the A10 I believe), mentioning continued success in athletics in their strategic plan, and the "stepping down" of our AD. However, this false mindset of athletics compromising academics will result in more "just good enough" out of our sports and not "annual national contenders" which is what we want and will truly benefit the University in the long run.

Yeah, that was a fluff piece of garbage and very patronizing. "There, there, little Spiders, keep studying hard and don't try to achieve much of significance in athletics – that's what VCU is for."

F that. We can do both.

Reactions: iSpider
The point being that other schools, some academically stringent (Duke, et. al.), and others not so stringent (Gonzaga, Wichita State, VCU) have improved their academic standing, their financial position, and their brand recognition through promoting athletics and having athletic success.

The point being that other schools, some academically stringent (Duke, et. al.), and others not so stringent (Gonzaga, Wichita State, VCU) have improved their academic standing, their financial position, and their brand recognition through promoting athletics and having athletic success.

Exactly and we can absolutely do the same. In fact we have. When we went to the sweet 16 in 2011, our applications spiked a bit more than usual the following year according to the admissions office.

We aim to have 800 students in each class. Let's say we let in 16 students with very low scores. That is only 2% of the student class. In no way would that hurt UR's high acceptance standards

F that. We can do both.

Coming out of high school, I took an overnight to Middlebury. The kid I stayed with (athletic visit), stayed in Thursday night and then bailed on his Friday class, leaving me without a class to sit in on.

I did an overnight at UR as well (not as an athlete). I was picked up at the airport, calls were made to secure me a fake ID, my stuff was dropped off in the room and we went downtown. Came back in the early morning hours to a hall party. I was awakened from my slumber around 8 for the 8:15. My host wouldn't let me sleep it off. "This is how we do things here."

Consider me glutonous, but I want the buffet. I want the school where the students work hard and play hard. I want the school that kicks ass in the classroom and on the courts. I want the school that celebrates its academic achievement when selling the 40 year plan to prospective athletes. I want pro athletes that run businesses after they retire and don't go broke. That is what I want from my university and we shouldn't settle for less.

Coming out of high school, I took an overnight to Middlebury. The kid I stayed with (athletic visit), stayed in Thursday night and then bailed on his Friday class, leaving me without a class to sit in on.

I did an overnight at UR as well (not as an athlete). I was picked up at the airport, calls were made to secure me a fake ID, my stuff was dropped off in the room and we went downtown. Came back in the early morning hours to a hall party. I was awakened from my slumber around 8 for the 8:15. My host wouldn't let me sleep it off. "This is how we do things here."

Consider me glutonous, but I want the buffet. I want the school where the students work hard and play hard. I want the school that kicks ass in the classroom and on the courts. I want the school that celebrates its academic achievement when selling the 40 year plan to prospective athletes. I want pro athletes that run businesses after they retire and don't go broke. That is what I want from my university and we shouldn't settle for less.
05, agree 100%. Tell all my children, students and postdocs, "Work hard, play hard and never lose site of your dreams." I call it living a full life.

Does Wichita State or Gonzaga have a strong academic reputation?
Would we even know anything about Witchita State or Gonzaga were it not for their basketball programs? The marketing value alone of what their successful hoops program has done for their brand recognition has got to be immense.

Reactions: gospidersgo
Would we even know anything about Witchita State or Gonzaga were it not for their basketball programs? The marketing value alone of what their successful hoops program has done for their brand recognition has got to be immense.
Agreed. I asked the question because in context to the editorial that was referenced, the assertion was that UR should focus on academics, not athletics. Keefusb forwarded the largely inarguable notion that basketball success has enhanced the brand for Duke, WS, and Gonzaga, something with which I concur. But to the original article's point, I don't think it has enhanced any of their academic position/perception. I don't think about Wichita State as an academic powerhouse due to basketball success. Duke is, but it's not due to basketball, that's history and entropy at work.

I don't care much for the point of the article, I think the two are largely mutually exclusive. But in the same way that I think you can be academically focused and have a strong reputation while still being good at sports, I don't think a school's academic standing changes much if you are good at sports.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Agreed about UNC. That is one of my most frustrating bits of inaction by the NCAA over the last 5 to 10 years. The part that really bothers me is that almost 100% certainty I have that if it were not one of the athletic blue bloods, then the book, kitchen sink, and all the rest would be thrown at the school in question for penalties.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT