ADVERTISEMENT

Gill Out the Door

JM was a good AD, very engaged and engaging, always there and involved, I remember him chasing down an official at the Hampton BBall game because of a horrible end of game call. He got the stadium built. But he did give us the 10 year contract.
Would the first half of the 10 year contract have been different if he had stayed?

I would support the idea of bringing Jim Miller back. He did a great job, understands our situation and knows how to assist our programs. Plus he is well liked by of our major donors.

Reactions: Ulla1
God man, you got to write an epistle every time you think somebody disagrees with you. I know Coach Mooney very well and I have more than a clue but that's all the enlightenment you get from me.

This has nothing to do with my feelings about the state of the program. My original point was that you want act like you know that Mooney was happy with Gill as an AD and that he's happy with the status quo. You just made up something that's not true. But if that makes you feel important that's great.

Ok go ahead you get last shot, I'm done with you.

I didn't act like I know Mooney, you made that assumuption which I tried to clarify, what I was saying because I didn't say it well initially.

Mooney does not have many peers who are still employed in upper tier college basketball programs who have not been to the NCAA's in as long as he had. And for that he has Keith Gill to be thankful for. That is what I was saying.

I didn't act like I know Mooney, you made that assumuption which I tried to clarify, what I was saying because I didn't say it well initially.

Mooney does not have many peers who are still employed in upper tier college basketball programs who have not been to the NCAA's in as long as he had. And for that he has Keith Gill to be thankful for. That is what I was saying.
In one word, you are so far off.

Reactions: LKNSPIDER
I would support the idea of bringing Jim Miller back. He did a great job, understands our situation and knows how to assist our programs. Plus he is well liked by of our major donors.

Pretty sure that Jim ain't coming back.It's been since 2012 that he has worked a 9-5 job.A lot of great athletic accompishments during his reign.It was the Golden Age of UR athletics,except for 1 hire miss.
Now at 65 not sure that he would desire to take on the rigors of an AD
at UR when there were health reasons as to why he decided to step down some 5 years ago.Hopefully,Jim will be involved in the vetting process of finding the new AD.

http://news.richmond.edu/releases/a...o-the-president-for-athletic-advancement.html

http://www.richmondspiders.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205503278

you're correct one day Grant may be a heck of a player. might and one day. For the A10 we are woefully undersized. So are you prediciting an NCAA bid next year?
it'll be tough. there aren't many at-large spots to fight for outside the P5.

I never predict records. too many things can go right or wrong in a game, much less a season. I've agreed there are a lot of questions. we'll get the answers in time. I haven't seen Solly play. I don't know where Grant stands health-wise. I don't know if we'll land Hans.

we'll need a lot to go right for this senior-less group to dance. but I like our chances more than most. every year is separate for me. I look at where the program is today ... where the roster is. I'm very happy with this team. I don't like that we haven't danced enough either. that's in the past and has no bearing on where we are today. we've got a very talented, young group. if we didn't I guess I'd understand all the woe is me talk on this board. some fans think they want it more than the coaches and players. some fans feel like they are owed winning.

will say this, UR better start hiring people at the top who can raise money, vital

good thoughts MO. not sure what is required of the job but maybe a masters and not sure JC has accomplished that.

That's not just about working for Gill, that's the Richmond ethos. UR has never been about winning as a top priority. I doubt that will change just because we get a new AD.

good thoughts MO. not sure what is required of the job but maybe a masters and not sure JC has accomplished that.
Heck you need a Masters with 5 years experience to be the assistant equipment manager at UR.

spider23, do you know, first hand, that KG did not help, got to bat, with admissions? i don't, maybe you do but i don't want the AD going over to admissions and trying to take over the place, work with them, yes, nudge them, yes but try and make it sound that he is more important than them, no. again, we are talking about a few people not tons of recruits and the coaches know the deal or should know the deal and should not cry and whine when they push the envelope and lose. don't mind them pushing the envelope, win some, lose some but don't whine like a baby
The nudging should be top down, not bottom up. AD needs to get in President' s ear.

Reactions: urfan1
I sense that Crutcher is on board with athletics. Let's hope he bangs the drum for a strong AD who feels the same way.

It's nothing odd about it. They bought a new house weeks ago and are selling the one they live in so they can move in the summer.

Does look like this might be the first time he could list it at a gain...

It's nothing odd about it. They bought a new house weeks ago and are selling the one they live in so they can move in the summer.
How would I know that, I'm not Mooney's boy like you. For conspiracy theorists out there, the timing would seem odd. This explanation makes perfect sense. Sure hope the new AD has a positive impact on hoops. I have been stating on this board that I have trouble judging Mooney, because I do feel like he is operating with one hand tied behind his back. Especially if the admissions losses that we know about are the tip of the iceberg. Probably not but could be quite restricting.

Reactions: 97spiderfan
How would I know that, I'm not Mooney's boy like you. For conspiracy theorists out there, the timing would seem odd. This explanation makes perfect sense. Sure hope the new AD has a positive impact on hoops. I have been stating on this board that I have trouble judging Mooney, because I do feel like he is operating with one hand tied behind his back. Especially if the admissions losses that we know about are the tip of the iceberg. Probably not but could be quite restricting.

You wouldn't know it , that's why I told you. Didn't want people trying to make something out of nothing, especially since a VCU person stated it. Don't be so sensitive, you're one of my favorite posters

Last edited:
You wouldn't know it , that's why I told you. Didn't want people trying to make something out of nothing, especially since a VCU person stated it. Don't be so sensitive, you're one of my favorite posters
Ok Mac, now you won won me over with your nice comment. These off seasons without much action are getting hard to take. Not unexpected with only one slot to fill in 2018.

Ok Mac, now you won won me over with your nice comment. These off seasons without much action are getting hard to take. Not unexpected with only one slot to fill in 2018.

Let me know if you guys need me to host a beer summit or anything. i'm great at that sort of thing.

Reactions: 64Spider
I don't know much about Jasmonn but he doesn't strike me as experienced enough. I would expect an AD from a smaller school who is an up and comer or an assistant from a prominent university.

Maybe that's too obvious though...

Last edited:
Reactions: MolivaManiac
What if the candidate had previously been the asst AD at a big program?

That's fair. I think it could be argued that KG had that, though.

I'd like us to find someone that has an engaging personality that can successfully raise money. Someone that isn't afraid to roll up their sleeves and get in front of bad news sometimes too. Be the face of the athletic department. We don't need the coaches being "the face". We need them to recruit and coach.

Jas is a good guy.Not gonna happen,here.

Try this on for size as a more likely blueprint:

http://collegiatesportsassociates.com/our-associates/

Template: http://collegiatesportsassociates.com/university-of-hartford-director-of-athletics/

or Korn Ferry:

http://www.kornferry.com/expertise/consumer/sports

Gill has been among the walking dead for a while.This process has had legs before this week.

I'd be OK with Dr. Weight providing us twice daily updates on what's going on with our search. Even if there's nothing going on.

Reactions: Eight Legger

I'd like us to find someone that has an engaging personality that can successfully raise money. Someone that isn't afraid to roll up their sleeves and get in front of bad news sometimes too. Be the face of the athletic department. We don't need the coaches being "the face". We need them to recruit and coach.
Perfect description of the successful applicant.

Note: Doesn't this describe Jim Miller. Not thinking he would take the job.

Last edited:

Yeah, I just think that KG had the background you'd want in a guy, but I think the "profile" is subordinate to the character of the person. Id be ok if they come from Poughkeepsie State as long as they can navigate the halls and get what's necessary to have athletic success.

Reactions: MolivaManiac
Miller would be a bad move that would probably be perceived as another example of our lack of vision.
Plus his tenure wasn't all wine and roses.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT