ADVERTISEMENT

Fire Mooney Mafia Takes Action With Billboard

How about a reply VT4700 about your expectations after Mooney got his 10 year multimillion dollar contract

I would have been happy with two NCAA tourneys since then. I think we would have had one if Ced did not get hurt, and then another year we were the first team out. So, being slightly below my expectations led me to want another year this year and see what happened. It really stinks that Nick went down. We miss him.

I believe this is the second fairly recent Spiders column in which he hints at a move down in conference. I don't expect him to carry water for the administration, but he's not exactly an advocate for their stated goals.

Just got a response from JOC. Basically a recognition of receiving and reading my email. More than what I was expecting, TBH.

#NoMoreMooneyTruthing

I don't follow this site but was called this morning and told of this posting -- surprised it has not been mentioned before now:

Fire Mooney Mafia‏@FireMooneyMafia
As a result, we have chosen to request the deactivation of the billboard. As we always have, we want the best for our players and program. We hope that the administration will proactively show the accountability necessary to take our program to greater heights.

^Doesn't really matter, the point has already been made. Can't undo/unsee the past two days.

#NoMoreMooneyTruthing

Reactions: KWeaver
^Doesn't really matter, the point has already been made. Can't undo/unsee the past two days.

#NoMoreMooneyTruthing

What exactly is the point? That maybe one person paid to have a negative billboard put up and it seemed to have backfired?

Sounds like it was more than 1 person.

Also, I’m not convinced it backfired. There’s been more discussion and buzz around Richmond basketball the past couple days than since the sweet 16 run.

Agree. once the outrage wears off, maybe people actually take a look at the performance over the last 8 years, especially the last 2 and the full body of work of the last 14 years.

What exactly is the point? That maybe one person paid to have a negative billboard put up and it seemed to have backfired?

I don't think it backfired at all. They got their point across (Mooney needs to be fired), and it got a lot of pub online, in print, and on TV. To me, that's success. Hardt wasn't going to fire Mooney in Feb.

Also, I’m not convinced it backfired. There’s been more discussion and buzz around Richmond basketball the past couple days than since the sweet 16 run.

^This. No way this can be swept under the rug, now it's an even bigger elephant in the room. Hopefully it will spur decisive action in one direction (CM gets sacked), or decisive inaction (the AD throws full support behind Mooney). For me, it will mean some of us can get behind the program again, or we can write it off as a lost cause.

#NoMoreMooneyTruthing

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
No publicity is better than bad publicity. Billboard was ill conceived. Most folks already believed it was time for a coaching change, but were willing to show more patience than the billboard crew.

Regarding the JOC statement of the sentiment not being "widely shared" - didn't he have an article earlier this season that brought up widespread discontent in the fan base? It wasn't the lede, but I could swear he said something about it. Maybe I'm getting senile.

I believe this is the second fairly recent Spiders column in which he hints at a move down in conference. I don't expect him to carry water for the administration, but he's not exactly an advocate for their stated goals.
I am not sure moving down from the A-10 would help us much. The league is basically the old CAA now that all the big schools have left. If we can’t compete with Davidson and VCU then that is sad. This is already down to a 1 or 2 bid conference. Our only two handicaps have been Mooney and admissions.

If we move to a lower conference, then we might as well go D3 across the board.

#NoMoreMooneyTruthing

Agree completely - but he mentioned it when Rocco left if I'm not mistaken. His stance is basically that we're a Patriot League school.

I don't agree with him.
But he's been writing about sports for 40 years.....

I am not sure moving down from the A-10 would help us much. The league is basically the old CAA now that all the big schools have left.

Kenny believes so with it's current rankings .....

+1.20 Southern
+0.80 MWC
+0.58 Ivy
+0.49 A10

Hey, if UR higher-ups don't want fans to be so concerned with making the NCAA tourney and just enjoy the competing by Mooney's team, then cut Mooney's salary in half for like say 500K. Why pay someone 1M+ just to have the team compete hard?

So let me get this straight... some of you are so upset about the billboard because “Mooney is a great guy.” But it’s ok to threaten the people who put it up, who are likely making less than 1/10th of what Mooney makes? Their careers deserve to get destroyed? Seems pretty hypocritical to me

Wow, you guys really think Woody is substandard, and after all his years as a journalist. He writes for the local paper, one that many of you certainly subscribe to. You are RTD stakeholders. This situation needs a billboard, don't you think?

Sorry, Plant, but I don't give money to help pay Woody $1.2 million a year. Nor am I an alumni of the Richmond Times Dispatch School of Journalism & Home Delivery. Even though I don't like his writing and I subscribe to RTD, I'm not going to waste my time on a billboard for him.

Sorry, Plant, but I don't give money to help pay Woody $1.2 million a year. Nor am I an alumni of the Richmond Times Dispatch School of Journalism & Home Delivery. Even though I don't like his writing and I subscribe to RTD, I'm not going to waste my time on a billboard for him.

I didn't think anyone would actually respond to this...

If this person worked for my firm and did this, they would bring discredit on the firm. Let's just say it would be a career limiting move.
Would you carry a person in your firm for 14 years with a track record of what we've been discussing? Weight the last 8. If the answer is "yes", than I'd question the success of your firm.

To the Fire Mooney crowd: If you play with fire, you might get burned.
This quote originated with Moses (Num 32:23) in referring to sexual sins. Not sure how it would factor in with respect to the approach of the FMM, but I'm open to a new perspective. Are you suggesting further intimidation?
If this person worked for my firm and did this, they would bring discredit on the firm. Let's just say it would be a career limiting move.
Any event which would be grounds for "discredit" or "career limiting" by a firm against an individual for expressing a legitimate opinion held by many others, whether in an op-ed, letter, or billboard, speaks much more about the firm than the individual making the protest. I'd be thinking that it is time to look for another firm.

So if your best employee/earner expressed his/her opinion thru a billboard that they wanted the local college basketball coach fired that would limit their ability to get promoted or retain employment despite their business success? If you own the firm/business I guess that’s your perogative although that seems about as rational as keeping a coach around who hasn’t produced on court results for almost a decade.

Last edited:
Reactions: ur2K and SpiderRick
Hey, if UR higher-ups don't want fans to be so concerned with making the NCAA tourney and just enjoy the competing by Mooney's team, then cut Mooney's salary in half for like say 500K. Why pay someone 1M+ just to have the team compete hard?

If UR higher-ups don't want fans to be so concerned with making the NCAA tourney, just tell the fans they're not concerned with making the NCAA tourney. Then we'll know.

A pay cut is silly. Who cares what they pay him? They can afford it.

I don't think it backfired at all. They got their point across (Mooney needs to be fired), and it got a lot of pub online, in print, and on TV. To me, that's success. Hardt wasn't going to fire Mooney in Feb.

Yes, but it also has probably woken up a lot of supporters who were just staying quiet this year.

Reactions: ChoppinBroccoli
This quote originated with Moses (Num 32:23) in referring to sexual sins. Not sure how it would factor in with respect to the approach of the FMM, but I'm open to a new perspective. Are you suggesting further intimidation

I am not a Bible scholar and have heard this all my life, just a wise saying. No intimidation. What did the perps expect? There was risk.

I am not a Bible scholar and have heard this all my life. No intimidation. What did the perps expect? There was risk.
"Perps?" If there was a crime involved, someone should notify the police.
"Risk?" The reward more than offsets the risk. See the well-reasoned posts above.
Quod Erat Demonstrandum.

"Risk?" The reward more than offsets the risk. See the well-reasoned posts above.
Quod Erat Demonstrandum.
This is getting boring. Let's get back to the sex stuff you mentioned in post #112. ;)

Quod Erat Demonstrandum.

per·pe·tra·tor
Dictionary result for perpetrator
/ˈpərpəˌtrādər/
noun
  1. a person who carries out a harmful, illegal, or immoral act.
This was a harmful and shameful act.

I did study Latin. I wonder what the reward is? Notorious regard?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT