ADVERTISEMENT

Fire Mooney Mafia Takes Action With Billboard

Feb 3, 2019
O'Connor wrote an article in which he states:

"The position of the #FireMooney group doesn’t seem to be widely shared by UR’s fan base, based on interaction through the season with fans and alumni."

https://www.richmond.com/sports/plu...cle_a3c80094-6e61-5f8f-9029-3e5927da725b.html

Regardless of how you feel about the billboard, I hope that if you take the time to post on here and you do want to see a new head coaching, you take the time to write him an email that he provides at the bottom of the article: joconnor@timesdispatch.com . That would be more beneficial then us continuing to same the over and over on here.

Personally, I do not know how an editor lets a line like that be entered into the article because he provides no basis for his statement. But whatever. To me it sounds like a line to appease the bosses at UofR but whatever.

Translation: "I have zero data to prove whether the view is widely shared, but the Athl Dept told me to say it."

You see the narrative that is forming now? "This billboard was put up by a couple of angry people that aren't true fans, and based on what we see the fans don't agree with this and support Chris."

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
Translation: "I have zero data to prove whether the view is widely shared, but the Athl Dept told me to say it."

You see the narrative that is forming now? "This billboard was put up by a couple of angry people that aren't true fans, and based on what we see the fans don't agree with this and support Chris."
Maybe it should have been placed in the op-ed pages instead of in sports section.

O'Connor wrote an article in which he states:

"The position of the #FireMooney group doesn’t seem to be widely shared by UR’s fan base, based on interaction through the season with fans and alumni."

https://www.richmond.com/sports/plu...cle_a3c80094-6e61-5f8f-9029-3e5927da725b.html

Regardless of how you feel about the billboard, I hope that if you take the time to post on here and you do want to see a new head coaching, you take the time to write him an email that he provides at the bottom of the article: joconnor@timesdispatch.com . That would be more beneficial then us continuing to same the over and over on here.

Personally, I do not know how an editor lets a line like that be entered into the article because he provides no basis for his statement. But whatever. To me it sounds like a line to appease the bosses at UofR but whatever.
If the plan is to minimize/demonize the so called 'few' that want Mooney out, I believe that is a huge mistake. My email has gone.

Reactions: UofRFan33
I agree if money is the criteria. I've given more than my share but not anywhere near the top, but butts in the seats does matter and blow people like me off doesn't help the program blow off the younger generation is not a good idea. And again I wouldn't have done the billboard but totally understand the frustration.... and remember a lot of the fed up fans are fans/donors of the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
No one is telling JOC what to write. Just because some of you don't agree with what he said does not mean it is not true. A lot of our fans like our coach. It takes more than a meaningless billboard and a few message board posters to affect any kind of coaching change decision. Maybe a change will happen, maybe it won't. But, I promise you, a billboard will have nothing to do with it.

Reactions: Gallipoli
I agree if money is the criteria. I've given more than my share but not anywhere near the top, but butts in the seats does matter and blow people like me off doesn't help the program blow off the younger generation is not a good idea. And again I wouldn't have done the billboard but totally understand the frustration.... and remember a lot of the fed up fans are fans/donors of the future.
I want Mooney gone too. But I've thought about this since i heard about the billboard, and although i understand the justification for it, ill stick with my initial/gut reaction: Theres never a right time to do the wrong thing. Just my opinion fwiw.

And never the wrong time to do the right thing. Dragging Mooney along isn’t helping him either.

A CEO that misses earnings targets for 8 years would bankrupt the company and cost everyone their jobs. That’s not helping anyone. Sometimes you have to make a change.

Reactions: ViennaSpider
Nice media coverage of our billboard crew. Makes them sound like class acts

"Mooney's critics are less forthcoming. Those responsible for the electronic billboard told Times-Dispatch reporter, and Richmond beat writer, John O'Connor, "We'd prefer to remain anonymous."

Of course they would. It's easier to snipe from the peanut gallery or hide behind a sign than to publicly confront the target of your discontent."

https://www.richmond.com/sports/col...cle_6d2b4edf-be3b-56ee-b94d-1d87a0afdef3.html

Reactions: LKNSPIDER
Woody had some decent points until he said that Mooney answers every question. He has treated JOC with complete disrespect.

Reactions: KWeaver
Wow, Woody is a turd, and he himself continues to downplay Richmond's potential and crap on us. The beat goes on. 80's, you have got to quit while you are behind. You are dredging up the the guys that have crapped on the Spiders for 25 years, and now he is a "friend". Too funny.

"Mooney's critics are less forthcoming. Those responsible for the electronic billboard told Times-Dispatch reporter, and Richmond beat writer, John O'Connor, "We'd prefer to remain anonymous."

Of course they would. It's easier to snipe from the peanut gallery or hide behind a sign than to publicly confront the target of your discontent."

https://www.richmond.com/sports/col...cle_6d2b4edf-be3b-56ee-b94d-1d87a0afdef3.html
Great article.

Reactions: VT4700
Woody writes articles depending which way the wind is blowing. DIdn't like him when I was a teenager, and I don't like him now. He's in bed with McLaughlin and the boys on Broad.

Here comes Woody with that little ol’ genteel Richmond angle. He’s done it before. Little ol’ Richmond shouldn’t get mixed up in big boy athletics. And darn it Mooney does at least one whole press conference per week!

Woody writes 1 column a year on UR and it took a billboard to do it. Then he brings up missing players THIS year. Like other programs don’t have transfers & injuries too. Anyway this is year 8. Guess 8 year drought at Little ol’ genteel Richmond is ok. Someone tweet the pat chambers & Mooney stat.

No idea why he finds lack of UR comment outrageous either.

At least reading Woody is more bearable than listening to his 12 yr old shrieking girl nails on a chalkboard voice.

Last edited:
Of course they would. It's easier to snipe from the peanut gallery or hide behind a sign than to publicly confront the target of your discontent.

Well, duh. The bubble makes it impossible to confront the target. Only Ivan gets through.

Woody has no excuse - he has access. I could count the tough questions he's asked over 14 seasons on one hand, spotting him the thumb.

Time for Woody to ride off with Buzz to infinity and beyond.

Hal Nunnally the former Randolph Macon coach use to playfully refer to Woody as "my favorite liberal". With that said, no one should be surprised that Woody would confer
"victim" status to Mooney despite his million $ plus salary. That mindset will always offer excuses (admissions, lack of admin support, injuries, departures, fan sniping) for performance instead of looking at the facts surrounding performance ( inability to recruit and sell the program, inability to close out games and make basic adjustments, a myopic mindset on offensive and defensive schemes which may not match the talents of his players which do not put his players in the best position to be successful). The results show a 54% win rate over 14 years (with a 8 year gap in NCAA appearances). Yet he portrays Mooney as an innocent bystander who bears no responsibility for the state of the program. It is perfectly obvious to me that Woody is incapable of an objective analysis of our situation. It is also ironic that he would decry anonymous sources when he works in an industry that thrives on them.

Reactions: SpiderGuy
Patents, having seen a one-minute television commercial for a new drug, think they have more knowledge than someone with a medical degree and years of experience.

I have no idea why or how patents do this. The professional writer should explain it to his audience.

Mooney works diligently. He meets the press after every game and answers every question calmly, respectfully and professionally.
Let me think about that one and get back to you.

It is also ironic that he would decry anonymous sources when he works in an industry that thrives on them.

Ha good point. Maybe if the billboard said Sources instead of UR Alumni and Spider Fans he’d be ok with that.

This article is interesting. I agree that losing Nick for the year was tough and was not the coaches fault. However, losing Buckingham and Fore are absolutely the coaches responsibility. One kid playing 35 minutes a game leaves his senior year and the other kid should been assigned a drug sniffing dog to follow him around 24/7. These two are definitely on Mooney.

Woody composes one sentence paragraphs, which apparently is some literary device taught at the Generic Sports Columnist Scool of Crank Journalism. He’s an uninformed, unisightful relic. Enjoy him and those of his ilk for their laughably bad prose before they are completely phased out of existence.

This article is interesting. I agree that losing Nick for the year was tough and was not the coaches fault. However, losing Buckingham and Fore are absolutely the coaches responsibility. One kid playing 35 minutes a game leaves his senior year and the other kid should been assigned a drug sniffing dog to follow him around 24/7. These two are definitely on Mooney.

No way can you blame Buck on Mooney. We are not talking about a young, grade school kid here that did not know what he was doing, and did not know right from wrong. If a college athlete chooses to do something he knows is wrong, knows is against team and school rules, and knows will end up letting his team down, and still does it anyway, that is 100% on the player, not the coach. None of the other guys on the team seem to have a hard time following the simple rules that keep them on the team, but they actually care about their teammates.

Woody composes one sentence paragraphs, which apparently is some literary device taught at the Generic Sports Columnist Scool of Crank Journalism. He’s an uninformed, unisightful relic. Enjoy him and those of his ilk for their laughably bad prose before they are completely phased out of existence.

And, yet he has been at it for about 40 years. I don't think he is the one who is uninformed.

K, you must have missed the memo. Nothing is Mooney’s fault. That’s been a staple of the truthers for a long time. No accountability for the results and no blame for the issues within the program he leads.

Reactions: SpiderGuy
No one is telling JOC what to write. Just because some of you don't agree with what he said does not mean it is not true. A lot of our fans like our coach. It takes more than a meaningless billboard and a few message board posters to affect any kind of coaching change decision. Maybe a change will happen, maybe it won't. But, I promise you, a billboard will have nothing to do with it.
For the record, I would support Mooney staying if we win and go to the NCAA tourney regularly. I just don’t think the evidence presented makes that the likely outcome.

And, yet he has been at it for about 40 years. I don't think he is the one who is uninformed.
Equating longevity to competence and/or skill is ignorance at the highest level.

Does Mooney's "experience" demonstrate 14-years of competent and skilled performance, or does his "experience" more closely resemble one year of mediocre competence 14 times?

I personally think the billboard is doing the opposite of what those who paid for it intended it to do. If anything, it seems to be bringing the team closer to coach and if any of you follow the players/parents on Twitter, you’ll see it as well. I’m now fairly certain Mooney isn’t going anywhere after this year. I also think the fact that they wish to remain anonymous is silly. If you’re gonna say your representing me as an alumnus I’d love to know who you are ha.

Reactions: kneepadmckinney
I for one plan to hit JOC with an email letting him know that the Fire Mooney Movement is much more than a couple of disgruntled billboard sponsors. I suggest than any of you who want to see a change follow suit.

#NoMoreMooneyTruthing

I generally avoid the one column that Paul Woody writes about UR each year. His move toward irrelevance started quite some time ago. He’s better left to writing about the Redskins at this point from a “faraway observer” point of view.

I personally think the billboard is doing the opposite of what those who paid for it intended it to do. If anything, it seems to be bringing the team closer to coach and if any of you follow the players/parents on Twitter, you’ll see it as well. I’m now fairly certain Mooney isn’t going anywhere after this year. I also think the fact that they wish to remain anonymous is silly. If you’re gonna say your representing me as an alumnus I’d love to know who you are ha.

While I think that firing Mooney has been the objective based on 14 years of results, I, for one, would not be upset if it were a lightning rod that stimulated him into being a better coach (if possible). If the players want to play better, if the parents want to parent better, if the administrators want to administer better as a result of this, then I will deem it successful. It shouldn’t come to this is a point that all should be able to agree on.

More feedback relative to our "disgraced billboard crew" from A10talk.com

"While it’s hard to say how most fans feel about Mooney, the general consensus on Twitter was that most did not like the billboard being put up. Reactions included:"

Sorey to see this. If your “fans” support this approach they are not real fans. Good and bad…support your coach, support your team, or find another. #NoClass— Tracy Katz (@TracyLynnK) February 21, 2019

I’m not going to argue one way or the other but this coach took them to the Sweet 16…if it’s time go you don’t do it like this— BP scouting (@BPscout) February 21, 2019

Pathetic! These fans are just Twitter trolls who think doing this will actually make a difference. It won’t. If Richmond basketball is that important to you then you need to get a life.— spidur97 (@Spidur97) February 21, 2019

https://www.a10talk.com/fire-mooney-mafia-takes-action-with-billboard/

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT