ADVERTISEMENT

Fire Mooney Mafia Takes Action With Billboard

It would be amazing to make over a million dollars a year in a public position with zero critique of your performance.
This is what gets me too. I'd say Spider fans have been pretty incredibly patient considering how much he's making and how relatively average at best we've been since he signed that contract. But it's Richmond, I guess we shouldn't expect anything better.

Reactions: GKiller
While I think that firing Mooney has been the objective based on 14 years of results, I, for one, would not be upset if it were a lightning rod that stimulated him into being a better coach (if possible). If the players want to play better, if the parents want to parent better, if the administrators want to administer better as a result of this, then I will deem it successful. It shouldn’t come to this is a point that all should be able to agree on.
I hear you , I said this last year when Mooney noted the social media pressure. I said it would be fine with me if our critiques on here and other platforms prompted him. Problem with this, is based on his last several years I dont think it is sustainable. I'd rather just have a self motivated coach that wants Richmond to be a great program, not one that needs a billboard for motivation.

Reactions: KWeaver
So two tepid comments from non-alumni and one who doesn’t seem to care much about spider basketball? That’s the blowback?

Again, I wouldn’t personally have gone this route but that’s hardly evidence that this is a watershed moment in our basketball history.

Have they interviews anyone who supports the billboard? That would be an interesting counterpoint.

I do feel sorry for his wife & kids. He’s only going to earn $13M. No way they can afford a nice vacation away or anything else. I don’t know about the others on this board, but I find the first million each year just doesn’t do much for me...

Im sorry. This is the life Chris choose for his family and he’s well comped.

He’s had more .500 or worse seasons (5) than NCAA tourney appearances (2). He’s made over $15M doing that. I imagine we can find some folks around town in worse situations.

I watched that interview last night. She seems like a nice lady. Obviously it was a soft story, and it's great to see stories of fans. Don't think I saw that she went to U of R. Also none of the real facts or issues circling the success or failure of the long term situation were really discussed, and in a feel good story I understand her not being questioned. On the other hand, it would be nice if WTVR would give equal time to a fan with a different view.

The mental meltdown on this board is great comic relief.

Fanbase is now splintered into bickering factions, and whoever runs PR for this Athl Dept should be fired before Mooney.

You can defend a lot of things but Woody isn’t really one of them. He’s pretty weak. Lots of people do the same thing for 40 years and aren’t great at their craft.

Being "not great" is one thing, but that is not quite how the poster I replied to described him.

Woody is substandard even relative to his professional counterparts. In addition to being uninformed and uninsighful, I’d add witless. Each of the points that he humorlessly makes in his article is easily countered by anyone who has paid an iota of attention to the steady erosion of the program under Mooney’s watch.

K, you must have missed the memo. Nothing is Mooney’s fault. That’s been a staple of the truthers for a long time. No accountability for the results and no blame for the issues within the program he leads.

I have blamed Mooney when I felt it was deserved. Buck's situation is on the player, no matter what school and who the coach is.

Wow, as if the whining from three fans (with only one of the tweets even being grammatically correct) from competing A-10 schools and a handful of #MooneyTruthers constitutes a groundswell of Mooney support! SMDH.

#NoMoreMooneyTruthing

Woody is and always has been a VCU homer. He wants CM to stay for all the same reasons that the Costco Center crowd wants him to stay (queue the "We Love Mooney" chants).

#NoMoreMooneyTruthing

Mooney truthing snowflakes are destroying this program.
Wrong. Many support the program and do want a change. Some want another year. They just choose not to drag the coach and players through the muck. The snowflakes are the ones who think they can throw hissy fits to force change. The target moves from Mooney to players to former ADs to presidents to the BOT and on and on. Sad really. The FMM snowflakes are not special.

There's no way anyone "close" to the players (Mooney) should be blindsided by what happened with Fore or Buckingham. Unless you just choose to ignore the signs, I just don't buy that excuse. Especially when drug problems and transferring are rampant problems that are discussed constantly.

The reaction I see from electronic and print media, casual Spider fans, A10 message boards and those of state schools is overwhelmingly negative with regard to the billboard. Unless suffering from confirmation bias, I believe this is beyond dispute.

Face it. The billboard boomeranged, painting the fan base and the school in a bad light and is not going to contribute to the desired result.

Reactions: SpiderPlant
No one knows what the final impact of the billboard will be. However, it has put a laser focus on the program and on Mooney, and has more or less forced those with an interest in the program to take sides.

I'll be ecstatic if this brings the issue to a head and it forces a decisive action rather than the usual "kick the can down the road/wait until next year" approach that is so typical of our athletic department and the UR administration as a whole.

#NoMoreMooneyTruthing

Last edited:
If they kick the can down the road, I will no longer give any more money to the program. They can go pound sand for all I care. We want action... billboard or not.

Reactions: KWeaver and keefusb
There's no way anyone "close" to the players (Mooney) should be blindsided by what happened with Fore or Buckingham. Unless you just choose to ignore the signs, I just don't buy that excuse. Especially when drug problems and transferring are rampant problems that are discussed constantly.

Regarding Fore, chances are you will be blindsided. What player who plays a lot is going talk about grad transferring during the season? As for Buck, it is pretty hard for a coach to say anything other than he is surprised by what happened, even if that is not the case. Otherwise, you would be destroying the player and, like him or not, Mooney would never do that.

Wow, you guys really think Woody is substandard, and after all his years as a journalist. He writes for the local paper, one that many of you certainly subscribe to. You are RTD stakeholders. This situation needs a billboard, don't you think?

Reactions: bb3831
This is what gets me too. I'd say Spider fans have been pretty incredibly patient considering how much he's making and how relatively average at best we've been since he signed that contract. But it's Richmond, I guess we shouldn't expect anything better.

Yep. And Woody article just a continuation of that. We should count our little ol’ richmond blessings. We should be lucky that half of Mooney seasons since extension are .500 or losing. That we’ve made all of 1 a10 semifinal (losing to vcu) in 8 years. 2 NITS in 8 years and 1 includes an absolute epic collapse at home. I would mention the 6-17 record vs Vcu but that doesn’t span 8 years. But we should feel very fortunate to get 6 whole wins of 23.

Regarding Fore, chances are you will be blindsided. What player who plays a lot is going talk about grad transferring during the season? As for Buck, it is pretty hard for a coach to say anything other than he is surprised by what happened, even if that is not the case. Otherwise, you would be destroying the player and, like him or not, Mooney would never do that.

I don't think Mooney would attempt to destroy anyone's life. But it is part of the job to understand what is going on and be prepared to deal with it.

And, yet he has been at it for about 40 years. I don't think he is the one who is uninformed.
woody ignores UR constantly, he couldn't care less if we suffer in mediocrity. By the way VT4700 what was your expectation for the program after Mooney go his 10 year million plus deal?

No it’s the coaches job not to be blindsided. I thought the players were like sons to him and he cares so much right? U can’t be blindsided by that. Unfortunately it wasn’t the first time. See ANO. Blindsided by that too. Have a better pulse on your team that is a BIG part of the job.

Keef right on. I think the default thought process has been kick the can down the road, and that is what both FMM and Truthers alike agreed would happen.

I'm not sure what the billboard teams expected outcome was, but they sure started the dialogue and put the focus on the issue. Obviously Hardt is and was never going to do anything with Mooney until the contract is over, but he knows now that the fans will not let him hide and he will be uncomfortable.

And all the defense is that the billboard buyers have disgraced a “great man”.

Do any of these people or the defenders on here actually think that Chris Mooney is a good basketball coach?

WTVR is in bed with VCU. They want Mooney at UR because it makes us irrelevant and hot garbage. We need to grow a pair and oust this clown!
Statements 1&2 seem kind of absurd. Statement 3 seems rational.

I don't think Mooney would attempt to destroy anyone's life. But it is part of the job to understand what is going on and be prepared to deal with it.

I think after the one-game suspension, he was probably prepared for anything. But, as I said earlier, no coach can come out and say that after the fact.

It seems the Mooney Access Cravers (MACs) can't separate Mooney the coach with Mooney the man. There were lots of coaches in all sports where the man was a total jerk but could coach excellent, as well as being a top notch human being but a bad coach. Mooney fits the latter. The FMM has never said Mooney is a terrible human being. It's not his fault that Miller offered him that insane contract. Anyone would have signed it. He just hasn't lived up to the expectations of that insane contract. That's not a personality shot, that's a job performance shot.

No it’s the coaches job not to be blindsided. I thought the players were like sons to him and he cares so much right? U can’t be blindsided by that. Unfortunately it wasn’t the first time. See ANO. Blindsided by that too. Have a better pulse on your team that is a BIG part of the job.

A coach has to say he is blindsided in that situation. What coach would come out and say, yes I knew our player would mess up and end up getting kicked off the team?

How about a reply VT4700 about your expectations after Mooney got his 10 year multimillion dollar contract

Woody is just this side of a Dillweed. Actually I think he is a toad!

A good sportswriter writes articles that everyone will not agree with. It is better to write articles that people read and disagree with than not read at all. That is why doing it for about 40 years is relevant, like him or not. If people don't read what you write, you do not last 40 years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT