ADVERTISEMENT

Buckingham dismissed from UR Basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know Bob Black isn't going to say anything bad about Mooney. I'm starting to turn on him now too. I'm really starting to like Andrew Wallace though as he is the only local sports guy who questions Mooney and this program, we need more people like him.

This is a total joke so please do not take it seriously - maybe they have adopted the message board "model" and put all posters' emails on "ignore"...................

You know Bob Black isn't going to say anything bad about Mooney. I'm starting to turn on him now too. I'm really starting to like Andrew Wallace though as he is the only local sports guy who questions Mooney and this program, we need more people like him.

Come on. Why the cheap shot at Bob Black? The school's play by play radio person is not supposed to get on the school's coach or team. Newspaper and other media can, but certainly not a play by play guy. That is why you won't see that here or at other schools. Listen to other broadcasts and you will see how common it is and rightfully so for a school's play by play person to be positive.

I continue to be amazed at those blaming Mooney for Buck's mistakes. I guess those of you are also quick to blame teachers, coaches, or others when your kids mess up?

Reactions: plydogg
VCU will probably snap him up. They probably buy pot for their players and call it med. marijuana.
I guess it’s time to find another team to pull for. VDU is out. Too much to hate. UVA loses big games in epic proportion. VaTech sucks worse than Richmond. I guess it’s Duke or UNC. As a UR alum I am very discouraged in this athletic department. Buck, Sherod, and Golden in one class when VDU is struggling should have been the catalyst for success. Now it’s all going down the shitter. At least their is NBA, MLB, and the NFL to help fill the void.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Miller just said on 950 that 2 failed school drug tests result in a suspension from competition, and 3 failed tests results in dismissal. Also said the earlier suspension for “team rules” could’ve actually been a violation of AD policy, and called “team rules” for a better PR spin. He also suggested that Buckingham wasn’t going to transfer until he heard there might be some trouble and he might be released (not so sure about that last one)

Reactions: regatw
Miller just said on 950 that 2 failed school drug tests result in a suspension from competition, and 3 failed tests results in dismissal. Also said the earlier suspension for “team rules” could’ve actually been a violation of AD policy, and called “team rules” for a better PR spin. He also suggested that Buckingham wasn’t going to transfer until he heard there might be some trouble and he might be released (not so sure about that last one)
2020, looks like that is the true story. I have no doubt Jim Miller knows exactly what happened

Reactions: regatw and I-M-UR
I didn't realize we drug test. is this regular for all UR athletes? all schools? is it scheduled or random testing?

The table is set for another year of excuses. We will be young again having lost so much experience off last years team. We lost our senior guard (KF) and the heart and sole of the team (DB). It was just too much for even Mooney to overcome. We will look great in practice and hope that we can win some games later in the season. Plus, the practice facility will not be ready next year so our facilities are lacking and not helping us land Bryce or quality grad transfers. I can see it now.
Nope, for me next season is it produce or leave. No more excuses

Come on. Why the cheap shot at Bob Black? The school's play by play radio person is not supposed to get on the school's coach or team. Newspaper and other media can, but certainly not a play by play guy. That is why you won't see that here or at other schools. Listen to other broadcasts and you will see how common it is and rightfully so for a school's play by play person to be positive.

I continue to be amazed at those blaming Mooney for Buck's mistakes. I guess those of you are also quick to blame teachers, coaches, or others when your kids mess up?

All I know is that every single thing I've known about De'monte both in high school and now here at Richmond has been exceedingly positive. He gave his heart and soul to our program, his loss is immense, and it somewhat ironic that his recruitment probably saved Mooney's job 2 years ago and now his untimely departure from our program might be the final nail in his coffin that allows us to move on from the dreadful period in our history.

Seeing a lot of posters, myself included, who have long membership history (mine with rivals is from UNC's site) but not a lot of posts here. Pretty telling as to why we are all coming out of the woodwork.

Reactions: 97spiderfan
Seeing a lot of posters, myself included, who have long membership history (mine with rivals is from UNC's site) but not a lot of posts here. Pretty telling as to why we are all coming out of the woodwork.
you're trying to legalize weed?

I didn't realize we drug test. is this regular for all UR athletes? all schools? is it scheduled or random testing?
Usually random until caught, then periodic test after that. They are also looking for performance enhancing drugs.

Reactions: Spider2020
Personally, I’m not convinced of the whole asking for his release leading to a dismissal. I’m more inclined to believe there was rumblings of a dismissal/knew he was going to fail a test and he asked for a release, or there was never really a ask for release and the rumblings we heard we’re in actuality related to a dismissal. I also doubt we will ever know the true events unfortunately.

But if the facts are him asking for his release and then he did something to warrant a dismissal, yes, I agree I would much rather the school to have released him.

As for CM being coach after next season, as I’ve stated before, I’m not comfortable demanding someone be fired. However, I am not happy whatsoever with the current state of the program and the projected direction we are currently on. Yet, I still hope positive news is coming this off season and we bounce back next year (though admittedly I’m not holding my breath).
Agree we can't 'demand' anything but what's so bad about CM being fired? It happens and often it has to be done. CM has made plenty of money and he'll find another job. UR will get a fresh start and some real hope for the future.

2020, looks like that is the true story. I have no doubt Jim Miller knows exactly what happened
He didn’t say that was the story, he just detailed the differences between a team violation and AD violations. The example he gave for an AD violation was drug testing. So he didn’t confirm that was the issue, but I think it’s likely that was the issue

There are a lot of rumors being tossed around on here about what happened but what I do know is that Mooney has something to do with this and we aren't getting the full story. This program is a dictatorship and Mooney is in control because he is buddies with Queally. Queally has done a lot of good financially for UR athletics but he is killing the basketball program by helping to keep Mooney around. Surely he has to see that Mooney is a terrible coach and wants to do something about it. To him that is build a practice facility with his name on it. I'm starting to think Mooney will be here as long as Queally is around, which will be a long time. Queally and Mooney have a death grip on the athletic department and school because I honestly think the school is afraid to lose Queally's support if they fire his pal Chris Mooney.
A terrible injustice is being committed upon us as fans and it's time we do something about it. We have power as a majority even though we don't have the money Queally has. Either someone on this board needs to convince Queally to get rid of Mooney or we all need to come up with a bunch of money as a group. If it's a very large group of people then it wouldn't be that much money per person.

Agree we can't 'demand' anything but what's so bad about CM being fired? It happens and often it has to be done. CM has made plenty of money and he'll find another job. UR will get a fresh start and some real hope for the future.

I won’t be disappointed if Mooney is fired. And at this point I think a change is probably necessary, but I stop at the point of calling for his job.

I fully understand this may just be semantics and clearly a thin line I have drawn, but it’s where I stand and how I feel on the subject.

Jim Miller also took a shot at the "conspiracy theories on message boards." I assume he meant this one.

This dismissal appears to be on Buck.

The state of the program is on Mooney.

Travis Ford lost half his team, for chrissake, still had a better season than us and has higher expectations than us next year. That program was the dregs of the A10 the last 3 seasons.

Reactions: CarolinaSpider
If drugs are the reason, then the crowd on W Broad St will be welcoming him with open arms and smoking bongs
Guess the option of transferring to W&M are off the table with the recent bust? Naw, seriously, it does look like, if truth on here, that Buck was given a lot of chances. But kids smoke weed and drink, just life. And tomorrow is you know what day . . .

He didn’t say that was the story, he just detailed the differences between a team violation and AD violations. The example he gave for an AD violation was drug testing. So he didn’t confirm that was the issue, but I think it’s likely that was the issue
He was pretty quick with that particular example though. Almost like he knew. He did throw in the usual Sargent Shultz “I know nothing” disclaimers.

Buckingham is responsible for his own repeated bad behavior. I think it is clear that he knew trouble was coming, and that is the reason why he asked for his release.

Anyone who doesn't see that this program is in the dumpster is willfully blind. The status of the program is clearly the responsibility of the head coach. He should of been held accountable long ago in my view, but inaction on the part of the University is now inexcusable.

A 12-20 team that loses 2 of it's best players (arguably) and has a freshman coming in who is not ready to contribute in a substantial way, is in big trouble. Add to this a coach who can't get Cedrick Lindsey, T.J. Cline, Kendall Anthony, Terry Allen, & Shawndre Jones to the NCAA tournament, and we LITERALLY have a disaster. Matching the 12-20 record of last season will be an accomplishment for next year's squad.

Fire Mooney NOW!

everything else is on Mooney, but this is on Buck.
if it's as it's been hypothesized by Miller with the one time warning, then getting the 2nd time one game suspension (with apology for screwing up ... won't happen again), and then the 3rd time dagger.
there's plenty to blame Mooney for. but Buck is accountable for these actions.

such a shame. what a favorite Buck has been. he's been all heart out there.

problem with firing still comes down to the money. the long contract clearly didn't work out as hoped. we live and learn from that. but those of you who think it's simple to just write a check because we have a large endowment might not understand endowments. someone has to collect new money for this. knock yourselves out, but don't ask me to contribute.

All I know is that every single thing I've known about De'monte both in high school and now here at Richmond has been exceedingly positive. He gave his heart and soul to our program, his loss is immense, and it somewhat ironic that his recruitment probably saved Mooney's job 2 years ago and now his untimely departure from our program might be the final nail in his coffin that allows us to move on from the dreadful period in our history.

So, nothing negative toward Buck for letting his teammates down?

I’m super frustrated with Buck too, don’t get me wrong. Seems that there is a bit of a culture problem though.

Reactions: Dre4three
There are a lot of rumors being tossed around on here about what happened but what I do know is that Mooney has something to do with this and we aren't getting the full story. This program is a dictatorship and Mooney is in control because he is buddies with Queally. Queally has done a lot of good financially for UR athletics but he is killing the basketball program by helping to keep Mooney around. Surely he has to see that Mooney is a terrible coach and wants to do something about it. To him that is build a practice facility with his name on it. I'm starting to think Mooney will be here as long as Queally is around, which will be a long time. Queally and Mooney have a death grip on the athletic department and school because I honestly think the school is afraid to lose Queally's support if they fire his pal Chris Mooney.
A terrible injustice is being committed upon us as fans and it's time we do something about it. We have power as a majority even though we don't have the money Queally has. Either someone on this board needs to convince Queally to get rid of Mooney or we all need to come up with a bunch of money as a group. If it's a very large group of people then it wouldn't be that much money per person.

Mooney has something to do with what? Buck's departure? Did he slide something in Bucks drink? What kind of conspiracy theory are you trying to come up with for this one?

I’m super frustrated with Buck too, don’t get me wrong. Seems that there is a bit of a culture problem though.

Not really. Khwan left on good terms and has only said positive things about coaches and teammates, and Buck, and only Buck, caused his own problems.

The chemistry of last year's team was really good. I thought the coaches and team did a really good job of shaking off the tough out of conference start, and staying together and playing much better during the A-10 season. The previous season, with TJ and ShawnDre as leaders, we seemed together as well. I see no evidence of any cultural problem.

Some things just don't add up right to me.

There have been whispers and more about Buck for several months now, either that he wanted to leave or that he was having some issues.

If Buck got his third-strike-and-you're-out results a few weeks ago and then was trying to ask for a release, why would Mooney come out and say adamantly after Fore left that there would be no more attrition?

Did whatever prompted Buck's dismissal just happen this week? That seems difficult for me to believe, based on all the whispers, some tweets and some other info I've been told.

In short, it seems likely that Mooney knew there would be more attrition at the time he said there wouldn't be – whether Buck was planning to leave on his own or be kicked out. Of course I could be wrong, but the evidence points the other direction.

To a lesser extent, if it was known in the athletic department earlier than Monday or Tuesday that Buck was going to be dismissed – as I suspect it was – why in the hell did no one tell the sports information people so they wouldn't post his sophomore highlight video they way they did? It just looks awful and feels like a completely tone deaf situation all around – at best.

If Lefty got canned because his players were using drugs, then why can't Mooney be sacked for the same reason? Coaches bear some responsibility for what their players do off the court.

EL, very very good points. Very tone deaf hoops staff that seemingly has no control of the situation. If what Miller is very clearly indicating occurred, then Mooney would have known Buck was gone. No winners in this situation. Hardt better get off his A$$ because as of now he is looking more and more like Queally's puppet or the third wheel on the Triumvirate - the little wheel on the tricycle that is getting steered by the two big one's on the back (M Dog and PQ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT