ADVERTISEMENT

Buckingham dismissed from UR Basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, IF it is drug policy, I think Buck should not go quietly. A couple posters on here said some stuff was kind of well known among the team, yet Buck gets the boot now that he looks into a transfer?

What do you mean by if it is a drug policy, Buck should not go quietly? Are you saying if this is drug related, he should blame the school and not himself for getting booted? Are you saying he should hold a press conference or announce on twitter "I got caught doing drugs and for some reason they kicked me off the team for it"? Whatever he did, Buck chose to do it. I don't get how this could be any less than 100% on Buck.

Reactions: urfan1
Yes, it's on him. But it's also selective policy enforcement by the program, and a terrible look.

What do you mean by if it is a drug policy, Buck should not go quietly? Are you saying if this is drug related, he should blame the school and not himself for getting booted? Are you saying he should hold a press conference or announce on twitter "I got caught doing drugs and for some reason they kicked me off the team for it"? Whatever he did, Buck chose to do it. I don't get how this could be any less than 100% on Buck.
What I mean is that it has been insinuated by some that this is covered up for some, and not others.

Reactions: Ram1996
that scenario puts Buck in the most favorable light.
but it's just speculation. heck it's fabrication at this point unless you've heard otherwise.

Exactly. A lot of people on here like to pretend they know things, only to be proven wrong at a later time.

Andrew Wallace just tweeted that he has heard that another domino is soon to fall for UR. Sounds like we could be losing another starter.

Yes, it's on him. But it's also selective policy enforcement by the program, and a terrible look.

Its a bad look, but for all we know this issue could have been bigger than any of the previous guys with drug problems. We don't know what the line in the sand is and I don't think the administration would make a call like this unless it was the last straw. I doubt the administration is trying to save face by kicking a player off a team.

Reactions: Spider2020
I heard today, before JOC announced the release, a story that related the one game suspension earlier to his dismissal now. I have every reason to believe the story is true and don’t want to post it on a public message board (don’t want to throw another student under the bus). But I can’t blame Mooney for this dismissal, and I can’t blame the athletic department. This one is on the player. And no, it doesn’t have to do with him asking for his release, so we can kill that conspiracy theory

Am I missing something? Was it announced what policy he violated that led you to know we aren't enforcing it fairly? Not doubting you just wondering.

Andrew Wallace just tweeted that he has heard that another domino is soon to fall for UR. Sounds like we could be losing another starter.

Okay. Even I will say we are in for a long year if we lose one of our top 3. But, if we don't, I like our chances next year with a great PG in Jacob, a solid scorer in Nick, and a great big guy in Grant.

Am I missing something? Was it announced what policy he violated that led you to know we aren't enforcing it fairly? Not doubting you just wondering.
My point is that others have used drugs and not been kicked off the team. Was there more to this one? Possibly, I don't know. But the timing of it makes me very suspicious.

I heard today, before JOC announced the release, a story that related the one game suspension earlier to his dismissal now. I have every reason to believe the story is true and don’t want to post it on a public message board (don’t want to throw another student under the bus). But I can’t blame Mooney for this dismissal, and I can’t blame the athletic department. This one is on the player. And no, it doesn’t have to do with him asking for his release, so we can kill that conspiracy theory
The situation is already public. He off the team for crying out loud. What possible story could you have heard?

The situation is already public. He off the team for crying out loud. What possible story could you have heard?
What I heard involved multiple school administered drug tests which were failed. One resulted in the suspension for the Mason game (school administered test, so the NCAA sanctions don’t apply. It depends on the schools policy). And then multiple, repeated failed tests after the season

This situation isn't gonna end good fellas.

One possible good ending is seeing the door hit CM on the ass on his way out the door. If our program had any balls, we would have booted Mooney at the end of the season, replaced him with a better coach, and potentially not have lost KF and DMB, and perhaps even grabbed a high-quality transfer or two.

Mooney has to go now. Our program has hit a new all-time low. Are we going to have to sit here and have our best players leave en masse before anything is done? SMDH...

My point is that others have used drugs and not been kicked off the team. Was there more to this one? Possibly, I don't know. But the timing of it makes me very suspicious.

Seems awfully weak and incredibly unfair to those that have not used drugs to say others have used drugs without either naming names or having any proof.

Seems awfully weak and incredibly unfair to those that have not used drugs to say others have used drugs without either naming names or having any proof.
I have proof. I'm not suggesting all of them have – I don't know that – but I know factually that several have in the past two years and were not kicked off the team.

Reactions: plydogg
I agree also, and if it does have something to do with the suspension, than how terrible to mess up and let your teammates down once, be given a 2nd chance, and mess up again. And, yet, if true, some would still blame the coach and not the player.

I’m flying across the country right now with two layovers. Worst possible news I could have imagined seeing when I landed in Salt Lake City and opened up twitter. Was hoping I was just sleeping on the plane and having a bad dream

I have proof. I'm not suggesting all of them have – I don't know that – but I know factually that several have in the past two years and were not kicked off the team.

Several? So, did they fail any tests? Did the coach know? Maybe somebody did and maybe your proof is you were right there with them when they did (only way you can have proof, right?), but I am not buying that the coach or school had any proof and hid something then, but is now choosing to not hide anything with Buck.

If our program had any balls, we would have booted Mooney at the end of the season, replaced him with a better coach, and potentially not have lost KF and DMB, and perhaps even grabbed a high-quality transfer or two.
if there's any accuracy to the posts in this thread, firing Mooney wouldn't have saved Buck.

We are just going to wait out Mooney's contract aren't we? Unreal. 13 years into a coaching job and a roster and program should not look and feel like this (and I realize that transfers are a huge part of college basketball). There are so many good coaches out there that could have gotten us to the NCAA's over the last 7 years and could energize the program immediately but still we wait and hope and don't act.

Lost in all this is that since we released him, he is free to go anywhere and play right away, I believe. Maybe he and Khwan land at ETSU and take them to the tourney next year. Oh, irony...

if there's any accuracy to the posts in this thread, firing Mooney wouldn't have saved Buck.

Exactly, and it is very possible a new coach would not want to give a lot of minutes to both Khwan and Jacob ( too small a backcourt), and Khwan was not going to beat out Jacob at PG, so he probablty would have been gone anyway.

The girlfriend and brother are very subliminal on twitter. Looked at tweets and likes. Something fishy
Not so sure a VCU student and a UR transfer are great sources. Also are probably too close to the issue to look at it objectively, and will want to paint DB in as good of a light as they can.

Reactions: SpiderK
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT