ADVERTISEMENT

Buckingham dismissed from UR Basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.
if there's any accuracy to the posts in this thread, firing Mooney wouldn't have saved Buck.

First of all, I don't think there is much accuracy in these posts, and secondly, had CM been shown the door at the end of the season like he probably should have, perhaps DMB would not have violated the rule he violated. People do silly things when they are depressed and/or desparate.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Lost in all this is that since we released him, he is free to go anywhere and play right away, I believe. Maybe he and Khwan land at ETSU and take them to the tourney next year. Oh, irony...

I don't think that is the rule. When guys transfer and sit out a year, they still get released, so what is different with this?

The NCAA does some crazy stuff, but I cannot see how they would allow a guy that gets kicked off his team for rules violations to transfer and not have to sit out a year.

Really appreciate the decorum in this thread. Huge news on a sensitive subject. Appreciate the way it's being discussed.

I was thinking the same thing because events like this could easily cause things to get out of hand.

I don't think that is the rule. When guys transfer and sit out a year, they still get released, so what is different with this?

The NCAA does some crazy stuff, but I cannot see how they would allow a guy that gets kicked off his team for rules violations to transfer and not have to sit out a year.
Correct...normal transfers have to sit for one academic year and can qualify for certain exceptions. Those under disciplinary disqualification have to sit for a full calendar year (not sure that really matters in reality, compared to academic year) and it looks like can't qualify for exceptions.

"14.5.1.2 Disciplinary Suspension. A student who transfers to any NCAA institution from a collegiate institution while the student is disqualified or suspended from the previous institution for disciplinary reasons (as opposed to academic reasons) must complete one calendar year of residence at the certifying institution."

Correct...normal transfers have to sit for one academic year and can qualify for certain exceptions. Those under disciplinary disqualification have to sit for a full calendar year (not sure that really matters in reality, compared to academic year) and it looks like can't qualify for exceptions.

"14.5.1.2 Disciplinary Suspension. A student who transfers to any NCAA institution from a collegiate institution while the student is disqualified or suspended from the previous institution for disciplinary reasons (as opposed to academic reasons) must complete one calendar year of residence at the certifying institution."
Is this true even if he’s not disciplined by the NCAA, but by a university?

First of all, I don't think there is much accuracy in these posts, and secondly, had CM been shown the door at the end of the season like he probably should have, perhaps DMB would not have violated the rule he violated. People do silly things when they are depressed and/or desparate.

Really? So, a guy who has already been suspended a game for a violation of team rules would have been so happy that his coach was gone, the same coach who he tweeted out a congrats on getting his 250th win to earlier this year, that he would not have messed up again after the season?

"Coach stays, I mess up and let my team down again. Coach leaves, I stay out of trouble". Really?

This reminds me of the Derrick Williams situation. DWill was removed from the team because of illicit drug use. If Buckingham did fail multiple drug tests, he obviously has an addiction problem. Why wasn't he placed in Rehab?

Maybe Buckingham knew he was going to fail the drug tests and wanted to get ahead of the curve by transferring before the results came back.

"Coach stays, I mess up and let my team down again. Coach leaves, I stay out of trouble". Really?

Yes. Until we know for sure what the violation was (and we may never know) and the circumstances around the dismissal (carefully worded to make it clear that it was AD rules and not team (Mooney) rules) that could be the case. The timing here is fishy, and no one can say whether it was the same violation from earlier during the season, which I believe was for violation of team rules not athletic department rules.

This has all the makings of a conspiracy, the trump card being his dismissal for violation of AD rules, which gets Mooney off the hook, and ensures the longest possible sit out time for DMB should he try to play elsewhere.

This is delusional.

I realize my optimism is in the minority right now, but I felt we needed some changes to our lineup if we were going to have a successful year. A small lineup could work if all were good shooters and could spread the floor, but us starting the same 4 guys 6'4 and under again was not going to work. So, yes, we lost 2 starters, and they both brought positives, but neither one shot the ball well. My hope is we can replace them with a combo of height and outside shooting. Sure, we knew what we had with Khwan and Buck, and we will be replacing them with unknowns, but what we had with Khwan and Buck got us 12 wins this year, so I have hope we can improve dramatically with the right mix. Sometimes unknowns shine and surprise.

I liked Khwan and Buck and of course wish we still had them, but not both as starters. Khwan was not a true PG and Buck was not a true 2 or 3, mainly because of their outside shooting. At times, I felt like I was watching DT and TD shoot all over again when they shot 3s.

The 3 point shot has changed the game, and having multiple quality outside shooters is the best way to win. Imagine how much better Grant, who is already very good, would be with 3 quality shooters on the floor with him. We will miss Khwan and Buck, but we need shooters and we need height. A couple of new starters might be just what we need. Time will tell if I am delusional, just a little off, or dead on.

Reactions: Ulla1
I realize my optimism is in the minority right now, but I felt we needed some changes to our lineup if we were going to have a successful year. A small lineup could work if all were good shooters and could spread the floor, but us starting the same 4 guys 6'4 and under again was not going to work. So, yes, we lost 2 starters, and they both brought positives, but neither one shot the ball well. My hope is we can replace them with a combo of height and outside shooting. Sure, we knew what we had with Khwan and Buck, and we will be replacing them with unknowns, but what we had with Khwan and Buck got us 12 wins this year, so I have hope we can improve dramatically with the right mix. Sometimes unknowns shine and surprise.

I liked Khwan and Buck and of course wish we still had them, but not both as starters. Khwan was not a true PG and Buck was not a true 2 or 3, mainly because of their outside shooting. At times, I felt like I was watching DT and TD shoot all over again when they shot 3s.

The 3 point shot has changed the game, and having multiple quality outside shooters is the best way to win. Imagine how much better Grant, who is already very good, would be with 3 quality shooters on the floor with him. We will miss Khwan and Buck, but we need shooters and we need height. A couple of new starters might be just what we need. Time will tell if I am delusional, just a little off, or dead on.
Buck shot about 35-40% from 3 his freshman year. Yes, he was down some last year, but he's not a bad outside shooter at all.

I hope your optimism is correct, but Buckingham shot almost 40 percent from 3 during conference play AND led the team in rebounding. The guys replacing him couldn't even get on the court during a 12 win season. I just don't see it.

Reactions: ur2K
I am completely on the fire Mooney train now. I said a few weeks ago that Mooney should stay the next 1-2 years because the one thing he had going for him was that we were returning a talented core of players. Well, this isn’t the case anymore. Mooney really needs to go. I don’t say this because I have anything against the guy or want to see him fail. In fact, I want him and the program to succeed very much. However, my assertion is based off of a 13 year history of failing expectations and what has transpired the last few weeks.

And for sake of the argument, let’s say that Khwan left because he wanted to be closer to home and Buck was dismissed for violating team rules, this doesn’t change my position. It’s unfortunate for Mooney, but the future of his contract - in my eyes - was dependent on how he performs the next year with these core players. Regardless of why they left, I am tired of giving him more chances because he has a history of not meeting expectations. To me, it’s maddening to think how many chances Mooney can get. Now, the reasons are going to be “well it’s not Mooney’s fault for the reasons why these players left. He would’ve made the tournament this year. Now we have to give him 4 more years to recruit the next class. ”Well the fact of the matter is that with these players we went 12-20 and weren’t going to make a drastic improvement with the little depth we had. Additionally, we have been to the NCAA tournament twice in 13 years and those two times were in back to back years (as opposed to spread out) which tells me Mooney was a one-hit-wonder with that recruiting class and is an outlier of who he is as a coach.

Also, let’s look at this pst year. 1) Solly left the team during the season. It was no secret that Solly and his father were displeased with how Mooney was playing Solly out of position. 2) Khwan left. Let’s say he truly left because he wanted to be closer to home. Do you believe that is 100% of the reason why he left? I don’t. He is looking at Ohio State and ECU which are farther from home than UR. He even considered professional overseas which is obviously farther from home. Also, it begs the question as to why he is homesick now in what will be his 5th year of college. Mooney and his coaching style also likely played a part and Khwan is too classy to call him out on the RTD. 3) Buck was dismissed. Let’s say Buck truly did violate policy and was dismissed. Why do it now? Was it just perfect timing with when Buck mentioned his intention to transfer? I want to mention that I am NOT a conspiracist. I try to be logical and call things the way I see them. And the way I see it, is that Mooney has consistently failed to meet this program’s expectations and yet he constantly gets excuses as to why we should “wait one more year”. We are heading into May with 3 open scholarships! This is unfathomable. What else is unfathmable is that Buckingham is the 9th scholarship player with eligibility to leave UR since the conclusion of the 2014-2015 season.

I want the athletic department to at least give us a reason why they want to keep Mooney. I will at least respect them for that. Is it because we don’t want to pay his buy out? Is it because he is a nice guy and represents the University well, which is good enough for us? Is it because we can’t find another coach? Is it because you truly believe he can turn things around? If the answer to the questions above are all “no” then what are we waiting for?

I want to end this post on a positive note. I really try to be a positive guy in all facets of my life so I don’t want to give the impression that I’m just being sour or viewing things negatively. We are a TREMENDOUS university. We have showed ample times why we are committed to athletics, academics, and the arts, and I am very proud to be an alumnus in every sense of the word. We have a $15 million practice facility that will serve wonders for our student athletes and alumni for events. While things seems bleak, now is the perfect time for change. We are doing so many incredible things to help elevate our basketball program, that an up-and-coming coach would drool over this opportunity and can really take advantage of all we offer in terms of recruiting. In the end though, all our efforts won’t mean a thing if Mooney is still the coach.

I believe it was posted on this forum that Hardt’s email is: jhardt@richmond.edu I plan on making my voice heard and I hope you all do too

Last edited:
Buck is perhaps the most well rounded player ever under Mooney's tenure. He is above average to excellent in every facet of the game. On offense he could score from range, drive, dunk, dish, anything. On defense he led the team in rebounding as a 6'4 player, he was 2nd in steals and blocks, he was a good on ball defender. Sure, he didn't get as many points per game as some expected, but he was efficient with the shots he took. Losing him is an incredible blow to the team and suggesting otherwise is absurd. It is also absurd to suggest that his dismissal is a retaliation for asking to be released. We don't know any of the details surrounding this situation and the rampant speculation is ridiculous.

I do think we need a grad transfer guard now.

I'm disappointed in Buckingham. He let down his team and the university. He was given an opportunity that many young men don't get. A scholarship at an excellent school that provides athletic and academic opportunities.

From a basketball team perspective, you can't underestimate the loss. But I am also of the mindset of "next man up". For those willing to stay committed to the program, this is your opportunity. I will root for those that will play hard, put the effort in, support their teammates and apply their skills. This is the recipe for success in life and on the court.

I hope your optimism is correct, but Buckingham shot almost 40 percent from 3 during conference play AND led the team in rebounding. The guys replacing him couldn't even get on the court during a 12 win season. I just don't see it.

I realize that his percentage was not that bad, but he did not seem to have a lot of games where I thought, "wow, key outside shooting from Buck". And, more importantly, his 3 point shooting never seemed to cause opposing defenses to game plan around it.

Compare to Shawndre Jones:

In A-10 play, Buck was close to 40% from 3, but only had 5 A-10 games where he made 2 or more 3s, and only 9 all year. Shawndre had 19 of those his senior year.

How about making just 2 or more 3s and shooting 50% or better? Buck had 5 of those good shooting games this year, while Shawndre had 11 his last year.

Maybe it is not fair to compare him to Shawndre, but Shawndre also had defenses worry a whole lot more about him, while Buck got more open looks. Also, maybe it was the way he needed to get set first with a slow release before shooting, but it never seemed like he was a pure shooter, and opposing teams never seemed to worry as much about him and be all over him when he shot.

So, to be fair, I am not asking for another Shawndre because there are not many like him, but maybe someone in between Shawndre and Buck when it comes to shooting 3s. Someone who can give us a few more "wow" games and also cause the defense to go out on him more, which would open things up for everyone else.

The table is set for another year of excuses. We will be young again having lost so much experience off last years team. We lost our senior guard (KF) and the heart and sole of the team (DB). It was just too much for even Mooney to overcome. We will look great in practice and hope that we can win some games later in the season. Plus, the practice facility will not be ready next year so our facilities are lacking and not helping us land Bryce or quality grad transfers. I can see it now.
But the year after next should be tourney time.

One possible good ending is seeing the door hit CM on the ass on his way out the door. If our program had any balls, we would have booted Mooney at the end of the season, replaced him with a better coach, and potentially not have lost KF and DMB, and perhaps even grabbed a high-quality transfer or two.

Mooney has to go now. Our program has hit a new all-time low. Are we going to have to sit here and have our best players leave en masse before anything is done? SMDH...
The answer to your question is "yes".

He was the conference freshman of the year and was pretty good last year when healthy, crazy to even think we get better losing him.

Not that crazy. Buck was a good one, but some teams lose players of the year and are better the next year. A few A-10 teams lost key players the previous year and were better this year. We lost Khwan and Buck earlier than expected, but we have 3 starters back, which is not worse than most A-10 teams.

And, let's not forget we were 6-3 in the A-10 and had won 5 in a row when Buck got suspended against Mason. Talk about bad timing.
We then lost that game, and then 5 of our next 6 after that. So, at least we likley won't have to worry about that happening again.

Okay. Even I will say we are in for a long year if we lose one of our top 3. But, if we don't, I like our chances next year with a great PG in Jacob, a solid scorer in Nick, and a great big guy in Grant.

It must be scary to be that optimistic.............

Losing Buckingham and Fore I believe both of these players were are most athletic. I think Buckingham was just released. However, we never got the reason why Buckingham got suspended for a game last year. Anyways, next year looks like a total disaster. Losing two key starters. The bench had VERY little production last year. So we might get 12 wins next year. Considering how all of this will impact the upcoming season. I am not going to blame anyone. But the whole program is in the fire now.

UVA had 3 players transfer at the end of last season, only had an 8 man rotation all year, started the year unranked after looking really bad at the end of the previous year, and then went 20-1 in the ACC and was #1 for a good part of this season.

No, we are not UVA, far from them, but the A-10 is not the ACC, far from it. I really see no reason why Jacob, Nick, and Grant cannot lead us to great things.

UVA had 3 players transfer at the end of last season, only had an 8 man rotation all year, started the year unranked after looking really bad at the end of the previous year, and then went 20-1 in the ACC and was #1 for a good part of this season.

No, we are not UVA, far from them, but the A-10 is not the ACC, far from it. I really see no reason why Jacob, Nick, and Grant cannot lead us to great things.
Because I guarantee at least one of those three will transfer. Then you will probably say we will be fine even with only two A10 level players.

Because I guarantee at least one of those three will transfer. Then you will probably say we will be fine even with only two A10 level players.
X2

The next thing we'll hear out of the "next year will be fine crowd" is that we're similar to Kentucky. We can reload each year and not miss a step.;)

X2

The next thing we'll hear out of the "next year will be fine crowd" is that we're similar to Kentucky. We can reload each year and not miss a step.;)
And just so those people know(I'm talking to you Ulla) none of the red shirts we have from last year or bench players will be able to help us and make losing Buck and Fore be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT