ADVERTISEMENT

Buckingham dismissed from UR Basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are some of you guys happy with the way mooney has managed the roster since our last NCAA appearance?

You said Mooney ignored the trend several years ago, which is true, but we made the tourney in back to back years without transfer help, and would have made it again a few years after that if we don't lose PG Cedrick Lindsay, who was averaging over 18 ppg, to a season ending injury. So, why get on Mooney for not playing the transfer game back then? Were you really mad at our tourney teams then and saying "why didn't Mooney get transfers"?

Mooney realized a few years ago that transfers were more and more common, and has since added TJ, Wood, and Francis. No team adds transfers every year, so those 3 additions are pretty solid ones since Mooney started pursuing them.

In addition to Ced's senior year, 2 of the last 4 seasons, with a big reason being TJ, we went 12-6 and 13-5 in the A-10 and just missed the dance those years.

So stop acting like Mooney does not play the transfer game, and also stop acting like every season since 2011 was a 12-20 one.
BS dude, Mooney has been resting on his laurels and it caught up with him. Tarrant had transfers out too, but he was stacking up back to back recruiting classes and supplementing with key transfers when critical. Mooney gets a good class or two then oops goes on hiatus for a couple.

You said Mooney ignored the trend several years ago, which is true, but we made the tourney in back to back years without transfer help, and would have made it again a few years after that if we don't lose PG Cedrick Lindsay, who was averaging over 18 ppg, to a season ending injury. So, why get on Mooney for not playing the transfer game back then? Were you really mad at our tourney teams then and saying "why didn't Mooney get transfers"?

Mooney realized a few years ago that transfers were more and more common, and has since added TJ, Wood, and Francis. No team adds transfers every year, so those 3 additions are pretty solid ones since Mooney started pursuing them.

In addition to Ced's senior year, 2 of the last 4 seasons, with a big reason being TJ, we went 12-6 and 13-5 in the A-10 and just missed the dance those years.

So stop acting like Mooney does not play the transfer game, and also stop acting like every season since 2011 was a 12-20 one.
Yes we should've made the tournament in the year Ced went down but I vividly remember Mooney's poor coaching costing us two huge home games toward the end of the year against vcu and GW. We may not have had Ced for those games but if we win one or both of those we make the NCAA's. So yes even that year it was Mooney's fault.

Are some of you guys happy with the way mooney has managed the roster since our last NCAA appearance?
It sounds like some are (the other VT, ulla, and pllydog). Those kind of fans are hurting our program.

No fans who say such egregious things that they get banned from a message board for a MONTH are the type of fans that are hurting our program.
I have never said anything worse than anyone else on here yet I always get suspended. I think some of the pro Mooney crowd knows that my message is true and are afraid of that deep down. Everyone on this board knows I'm right but few want to admit it. They suspend me because they think I'm spreading a bad message even though I have been right all along.

I have never said anything worse than anyone else on here yet I always get suspended. I think some of the pro Mooney crowd knows that my message is true and are afraid of that deep down. Everyone on this board knows I'm right but few want to admit it. They suspend me because they think I'm spreading a bad message even though I have been right all along.

How you talk about yourself are how the Pro-Mooney people talk about Mooney. Nothing is your fault and just the fault of others. Ironic that you want Mooney to be held accountable while you also do not want to be held accountable for what you say.

We disagree, we both know that much. We also both want the program to succeed. We just both believe in different paths to that.

How you talk about yourself are how the Pro-Mooney people talk about Mooney. Nothing is your fault and just the fault of others. Ironic that you want Mooney to be held accountable while you also do not want to be held accountable for what you say.

We disagree, we both know that much. We also both want the program to succeed. We just both believe in different paths to that.
I never said that I can do no wrong. I have many times. I am just saying that everything I have said has been no worse than any other Anti Mooney people yet I get suspended for it.

Since you believe in a different path to success than me I'm gonna put you on the spot here. Do you honestly think Mooney can pick up the pieces from this offseason and get this thing going in a good direction (NCAA in the next several years)? And if so how is he gonna do that?

Since you believe in a different path to success than me I'm gonna put you on the spot here. Do you honestly think Mooney can pick up the pieces from this offseason and get this thing going in a good direction (NCAA in the next several years)? And if so how is he gonna do that?
Yes, he can. If he gets Queally to buy a few players for him.

Do you really believe that those who have "given up" on Mooney have done so based on the 12 and 20 record? I don't. I think its because Mooney's close calls that you pointed out represent his ceiling. They, including myself, dont want close calls. We want to dance.

Boom. Yes. Close calls are the ceiling. God knows what the floor will be.

I dont comment much.

I think, in general, the board's expectations are a bit high in terms of the prospect of us getting considered for at large bids. Perhaps thats part of the problem, but i think thats the reality. Our record OOC isn't as important for that reason, as preparing the kids for the conference grind and finishing in the upper tier of the conference and making deep runs into and winning the conference tourney on a semi-regular basis (which we ABSOLUTELY have NOT done nearly enough of to keep a guy around this long).

With that being said, Im not a fire Mooney guy, but I share the frustration every game we come out and it looks like its the first time the kids have literally ever seen a zone in their life.

Im starving for us to have success. But im typically not as frustrated with the general state of our program until today, and I dont really care if what happened was Buck's fault or not. Hes gone. Kwan's gone. And our program stands where it stands. And IMO, its a mess. You wait for years (again which is CLEARLY indicative of the fact that theres a problem) where there's enough continuity, and you can make a deep run.

A couple key points IMO:

1. I think its crazy to think that after we lose these two guys that its not reasonable to think that Grant, Nick or JG are at least not seriously questioning what is going on and whether they'd be better off elsewhere.... and god help us if someone else leaves.

2. Most importantly, when you have the admissions and academic standards that we have, can someone explain to me what the primary offshoot of that stuff should be? IMO, its stability. This is the biggest cluster **** currently with the state of our program. Facility upgrades and a tenured coach in a mid-high level conference with admissions and academic standards that should eliminate all those that really dont WANT to be here..... and you should see VERY LITTLE turnover. I dont get it, but at this point, if theres an issue (and there clearly is) I think its actually even bigger than it appears for that reason alone.

The answer to my earlier question of you. Do you think Mooney can pick this up and get us going again and if so how?

I mean yeah, it is possible.

Just like UMBC beating UVA and Loyola making the final four were possible. Do I think it will happen? I have no idea. Do things look a lot worse without Khwan and the pothead? Yes.

Things would have been a lot clearer if there was no attrition (besides Paul and Solly, I think that's addition by subtraction), but losing two starters is pretty bad. Who knows what will happen, hell we, just like every other team, don't know what the roster will look like next season.

I'm a little pissed that we now are seemingly looking at 2 years from now instead of next year. A lot of people were pissed we had this down year and had to wait until next year, now it has been delayed longer because of Khwan deciding to go home (respectable) and Buck putting a little bit of ganja before the team (not respectable). Too bad he couldn't learn from Joe Kirby, went to many a party with him and he always turned it down...even as a backup knew it was more important.

Sorry kind of got all over the place here. But yeah, I think it definitely can get going again. We still have two stud rising sophomores and a stud rising junior. Yeah we need more than that, but those 3 aren't just "A-10 level players" they're most likely "All A-10 level players" and if you don't see the difference we can't have this discussion. We had a depth problem and now we have a bigger depth problem. I'm inclined to give all the freshmen the benefit of the doubt before they prove me wrong though. Imagine when TJ transferred if we said we were going to revolve around him. People would have thought no way. My honest thoughts are that he should be able to play through the season and recruit for next season. We aren't going to make the postseason next season so that really shouldn't be the gauge of whether or not he should be fired. If he can make a noticeable improvement and development then I have no problem keeping him around. You disagree with me, and that's fine, but the holier than thou act you put on where nobody else can have an opinion but you is a little old.

Just like UMBC beating UVA and Loyola making the final four were possible. Do I think it will happen? I have no idea. Do things look a lot worse without Khwan and the pothead? Yes.

Things would have been a lot clearer if there was no attrition (besides Paul and Solly, I think that's addition by subtraction), but losing two starters is pretty bad. Who knows what will happen, hell we, just like every other team, don't know what the roster will look like next season.

I'm a little pissed that we now are seemingly looking at 2 years from now instead of next year. A lot of people were pissed we had this down year and had to wait until next year, now it has been delayed longer because of Khwan deciding to go home (respectable) and Buck putting a little bit of ganja before the team (not respectable). Too bad he couldn't learn from Joe Kirby, went to many a party with him and he always turned it down...even as a backup knew it was more important.

Sorry kind of got all over the place here. But yeah, I think it definitely can get going again. We still have two stud rising sophomores and a stud rising junior. Yeah we need more than that, but those 3 aren't just "A-10 level players" they're most likely "All A-10 level players" and if you don't see the difference we can't have this discussion. We had a depth problem and now we have a bigger depth problem. I'm inclined to give all the freshmen the benefit of the doubt before they prove me wrong though. Imagine when TJ transferred if we said we were going to revolve around him. People would have thought no way. My honest thoughts are that he should be able to play through the season and recruit for next season. We aren't going to make the postseason next season so that really shouldn't be the gauge of whether or not he should be fired. If he can make a noticeable improvement and development then I have no problem keeping him around. You disagree with me, and that's fine, but the holier than thou act you put on where nobody else can have an opinion but you is a little old.
Buddy you have not been around long enough to know that Mooney has reached his ceiling and will do nothing now but keep us where we are or take us even lower (which seems to be the case). I get that you are a student and that's awesome that you are so positive and support the team. However you have not been around as long as I have as far as being a fan of UR basketball. Mooney got lucky with some great players and took us to back to back ncaa tourneys and a sweet 16 during that time. People forget though that he still wasn't a great coach even then and alsr screwed it up. Luckily KA was too great a player for that too happen. You said give the freshman the benefit of the doubt. Well I say there is a reason that none of those guys could break into the rotation this past year even though we really only had 5 maybe 6 able bodied players. That reason is that they are more sub par Mooney recruits who would be better served to play D3 basketball. Cato is also just a hair above that level, he isn't good either. We now only have 3 A10 level players on this team now and while I agree those three are pretty good the rest of the team is nowhere close to where it should be. Mooney isn't a good enough coach to get the most out of those guys and who's to say that one of Gilyard, Golden or Sherod won't transfer now if not all three. If you have been around as long as I have you would know that Mooney and everything he does is so predictable and it never changes. That is the mark of a bad coach. You are just a blind zombie of a fan who follows everything he does to the end. We have too many people like that. Nothing will get better until Mooney is gone.

Reactions: Gospiders06

This is mostly fair, but where I and others would take issue is resetting the clock for Mooney because he just lost two players, as if he had nothing to do with that. Maybe he had nothing to do with it (doubtful), but regardless, all of this is happening under his watch. I'm tired of giving him more and more rope. He already hung himself a few times with it -- how many more times does he need to do so?

Listened to the show a bit, Bob was being transparent to the degree you’d expect with him being a UR employee. He didn’t pull any punches about it being a mess.

My source has told me that Hardt is flexible to an extent on academic performance but is inflexible on “morality” policy, which I interpret to be drugs, assault, or title IX type problems.

I really don’t think there’s a conspiracy here. But I also tend to think the most likely story usually is the real one, so that can be wrong.

I dont know why anyone thinks we will make the NCAA tournament the next two years. I know Grant Golden and Sherod can score about 18 points a game. However, I see Gilyard average about 15. The problem is that consistently wont happen every game. Because teams are going to limit one of them. So we might score 60 points a game. The scoring isnt the only challenge. Its missing key foul shots at the end of games. The defense cant stop the dribble drive since we lost both of our top defenders. The lack of depth and everything else. We win 14 games next year at the most. After that I say 19 at the most. Just looking at past history is how I came up with that.

This is mostly fair, but where I and others would take issue is resetting the clock for Mooney because he just lost two players, as if he had nothing to do with that. Maybe he had nothing to do with it (doubtful), but regardless, all of this is happening under his watch. I'm tired of giving him more and more rope. He already hung himself a few times with it -- how many more times does he need to do so?

It was hard for me to try to say what I meant because I said so much. I agree 100%. I don't want the clock reset. I think he wants it reset and naturally it seems like it would be reset simply because we lost those two guys, but I don't think it should reset. And this is coming from, as you know, a very Pro-Mooney guy. At the end of this year if things do go as I hoped then I will move to the side of believing we need to move on from Mooney.

Buddy you have not been around long enough to know that Mooney has reached his ceiling and will do nothing now but keep us where we are or take us even lower (which seems to be the case). I get that you are a student and that's awesome that you are so positive and support the team. However you have not been around as long as I have as far as being a fan of UR basketball. Mooney got lucky with some great players and took us to back to back ncaa tourneys and a sweet 16 during that time. People forget though that he still wasn't a great coach even then and alsr screwed it up. Luckily KA was too great a player for that too happen. You said give the freshman the benefit of the doubt. Well I say there is a reason that none of those guys could break into the rotation this past year even though we really only had 5 maybe 6 able bodied players. That reason is that they are more sub par Mooney recruits who would be better served to play D3 basketball. Cato is also just a hair above that level, he isn't good either. We now only have 3 A10 level players on this team now and while I agree those three are pretty good the rest of the team is nowhere close to where it should be. Mooney isn't a good enough coach to get the most out of those guys and who's to say that one of Gilyard, Golden or Sherod won't transfer now if not all three. If you have been around as long as I have you would know that Mooney and everything he does is so predictable and it never changes. That is the mark of a bad coach. You are just a blind zombie of a fan who follows everything he does to the end. We have too many people like that. Nothing will get better until Mooney is gone.

I'm not a student. I'm 24 and graduated two years ago. I've watched every Richmond game for 7 seasons now. I'm not some random person who has been watching for 2 seasons. I applied and got in early admission and started watching the team during my senior year of highschool.

It is really hard to take you seriously when you say things like "You are just a blind zombie of a fan" in response to someone who is trying to have a discussion with you. I would love to have a normal conversation with you about this but it just doesn't seem like it is possible.

Mooney has already committed career suicide. He had the opportunity to jump to the ACC after 2011, but we made the mistake of giving him a nice 10 year security blanket. I fear that the conspiracy theories floated are more close to the truth than people want to believe. If they are true, I think Hardt is complicit. This could be a huge mess. I know all the pro mooney crowd are going to deny, but I will be very interested to see what a certain investigative reporter comes up with. Maybe Quealls will pay a bunch of people off. We will see.

Its funny, because the first thing I thought when I saw the Buckingham news was that Hardt was finally coming in and making a change. It wasn't the change everyone wanted but everyone was stoked for him to come in and make a change (Fire Mooney) but maybe the change he made was tightening up athletic department policy.

Mooney has already committed career suicide. He had the opportunity to jump to the ACC after 2011, but we made the mistake of giving him a nice 10 year security blanket. I fear that the conspiracy theories floated are more close to the truth than people want to believe. If they are true, I think Hardt is complicit. This could be a huge mess. I know all the pro mooney crowd are going to deny, but I will be very interested to see what a certain investigative reporter comes up with. Maybe Quealls will pay a bunch of people off. We will see.
What I'm starting to believe is that Queally is the problem. The reason Mooney has been given such a long leash is because him and Queally are buddies. Queally is investing all the money in the practice facility to help keep Mooney around when in fact that money should be going to buy Mooney out. Like I said before I don't think Mooney is going anywhere because of this.

Unfortunately in today's basketball landscape 9 transfers in 4 seasons is less than average. Of course we only had 6 transfers, 1 dismissal, 1 graduation, and 1 quit, but 9 early departures in and of itself is not an indication of anything out of the norm. In fact it is less than normal. This is only perceived as a problem when it is coupled with an inability to maintain a competitive roster which leads to a lack of success on the court. However the attrition rate in and of itself is not what has lead to the inability to maintain a competitive roster. Plenty of schools are able to maintain competitive rosters with similar or higher attrition rates.
I think one of the first times in a while that JOC did not sugar coat Mooney's situation and where the program is due to poor recruiting and attrition. Best part of the article was the last paragraph.

Well fellas I have been inspired by a fellow UR fan that I have been talking to and I have given up on this thing until further notice. Have fun continuing to support Mooney only to see things continue to get even worse. You guys are all delusional that support Mooney still. I'm talking to you Ulla, plldog, and other VT. You guys are terrible fans and are only hurting this program more by continuing to buy into the mediocrity that has now become a raging shit tidal wave. Go ahead moderators suspend me! I dare you!!! I don't care!!!! Just allow me to stay on th football board where good things are happening because I have no interest in UR basketball anymore until Mooney is gone.

Reactions: Monkeyhouse2

He has only played the transfer game the past four seasons. Sure, some credit that he finally got active but dreadfully slow to start and he’s only brought in one transfer that contributed meaningfully.

Yes, he is way behind on it, and performed dreadfully in the grad transfer market. These are all things you can sit back and inspect and say hmmmm, should we be doing this or sitting on our a$$ for a few more years when you have a 10 year contract.

You kind sir are a jinx. Just kidding. I thought it was me, but it may be you. I even went over the dark side to try to turn our luck, but I decided that it was the coaching all along.
Um, we all know that Eight Legger is the jinx. I always bet the opposite of his mortal locks.

Why exactly do the Mooney guys like him so much as a head basketball coach in the A10? From my seat he looks like a bad program manager and a bad coach (terrible defensive system in recent years, some really bad in game moments over the years like UNC debacle, 6 men on the court, no TO T against VCU).

Is it the no tie look and the brown shoes, the little water cups, the wedding planner backstory?

Reactions: Eight Legger

If the some of the conspiracy theories being floated on this board and VCU fans are real, Mooney and Hardt could be looking at up to 20 years in prison. I really doubt they are.

Last edited:
You kind sir are a jinx. Just kidding. I thought it was me, but it may be you. I even went over the dark side to try to turn our luck, but I decided that it was the coaching all along.

LOL. I guess you are right. The year before I watched them was when they made the Sweet 16 by beating Morehead State right? My family have always been Louisville fans so I remember rooting for Richmond since Morehead State knocked Louisville out.

Why exactly do the Mooney guys like him so much as a head basketball coach in the A10? From my seat he looks like a bad program manager and a bad coach (terrible defensive system in recent years, some really bad in game moments over the years like UNC debacle, 6 men on the court, no TO T against VCU).

Is it the no tie look and the brown shoes, the little water cups, the wedding planner backstory?

I just think he has a cool last name so I like him :p

I kid, I kid. I've always been of the belief that the coach has the smallest impact on the team in pretty much every sport. (Obviously we all know the Waterboy is the most important). I know most disagree but it is what I have always believed. I do believe there are exceptions in the terms of exceedingly great or bad coaches, but I mostly look at coaches the way I do at politicians. They'll say what you want to hear, but how they are as a leader and person means a lot to me. So Mooney has had my support for a long time because of that and because of the successes while I was on campus, even though they never culminated in a bid to the tourney.

Also with that being said I did just realize that the coach in college has a bigger impact since they're recruiting. And oh my I may have just talked myself a few more steps down from supporting Mooney without even planning on it. Oh my.

Exactly, I never have a good feeling that we are going to out play a better team. I know it has happened, but with Tarrant and JB - you always feel like you had a chance. Now, I am always hoping we don't get spanked by Northwest Delaware Jacksonville state of Alabama. Mooney is not an adaptor.

Also with that being said I did just realize that the coach in college has a bigger impact since they're recruiting. And oh my I may have just talked myself a few more steps down from supporting Mooney without even planning on it. Oh my.
There is hope for you yet.

Reactions: plydogg
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT