ADVERTISEMENT

Bryce Schneider - 2017 Signee

For comparison, just Adams and Mobley alone provided over 6000 minutes of experience to Saint Bonaventure last year. EC and Terrell provided over 6200 minutes of experience to URI. The number of minutes we have returning this year may be ~25% more than what we had last year, but it is still incredibly small and will still be very close to last in D1. Top A10 teams regularly return over 2x as many minutes as we return next year.
“Top A10 teams regularly return over 2x as many minutes as we return next year.”
Interesting, 2011, but a general undocumented statement. Could you kindly define and document this? Thank you!

For comparison, just Adams and Mobley alone provided over 6000 minutes of experience to Saint Bonaventure last year. EC and Terrell provided over 6200 minutes of experience to URI. The number of minutes we have returning this year may be ~25% more than what we had last year, but it is still incredibly small and will still be very close to last in D1. Top A10 teams regularly return over 2x as many minutes as we return next year.

All of this has nothing to do with what I commented on and replied to. I was simply showing that the posters, you included, that kept insisting we would be a younger or more inexperienced team than last year were wrong.

All of this has nothing to do with what I commented on and replied to. I was simply showing that the posters, you included, that kept insisting we would be a younger or more inexperienced team than last year were wrong.
VT4700, you make your point. Amazing how some have preconceived ideas and refuse to take into account the facts. I don't understand these people. But hey, we are all Spiders!

Last year: 4690 minutes
Khwan: 1838
Buck: 1042
JJ: 988
Nick: 754
Grant: 68

This year: 5880 minutes
Nick: 1762
JJ: 1498
Jacob:1166
Grant: 1049
Nate: 405

Can we please stop saying last year's team was more experienced than this year's? It is not even close.
Did I say which was more experienced?

But you did leave out Friendshuh & Kirby. Some would say Madrid-Andrews, I would not. Solly would likely change some perceptions, just not change reality.

I’m sure some are also looking at 5 vs 8 players with at least 1 minute on a D1 court. (Plus Oddo...:D)

Edit: Found my post from a year ago...
https://richmond.forums.rivals.com/threads/experience.9611/#post-205444

Last edited:
Can anyone share what is different that we have done with our non-medical redshirts this year? Why should we expect more from them than non-medical redshirts in the past?

Expect, no, but all kids are different.

Reactions: KWeaver
25% more experienced may lead us to 25% more wins. Should we get excited for 15 wins?

I am so relieved that Coach, Bob, and Beck will not cite youth or inexperience as a reason for losses next season!

I am so relieved that Coach, Bob, and Beck will not cite youth or inexperience as a reason for losses next season!
Exactly, since we are not as youthful or inexperienced as last year, I am presuming that we should expect a much better product on the court than the 12 win variety that we were treated to last year.

ur2k, not sure I understand how these are related? Interesting. Could you explain?

We're just competing and getting better every day. Can't wait for all of the improvement we'll see next season with all of the experience we have coming back.

if we lose, of course our youth will be considered an explanation. and it will include countless mentions of Khwan grad transferring, Buck being dismissed, and Solly abandoning the team midseason. might even hear about Paul.

if we win, we'll still talk about our youth but more like "imagine this team next year ... we only have one senior and one junior".

I get it. some here will be angry every time our youth is mentioned without Mooney being castrated for it. but regardless, we're going to have 7 freshmen and 3 sophomores. we're young. not an excuse, just a reality. those freshmen have work to do this summer to prepare to play the men in our league.

Reactions: nathanw19
25% more experienced may lead us to 25% more wins. Should we get excited for 15 wins?
No, look at the breaking point. This year Cayo is 5th with 405 minutes, last year Kirby was 5th with 140 minutes, so we are going to win 35 games this year. :p

You are right VT, we will be returning more minutes next year than last year. I do appreciate you bringing in numbers as well, always good to see. While you are correct and by this metric we will be more experienced this coming year, I don't think this changes the fact that we will still be very inexperienced compared to the rest of D1. We will still be in the bottom 25 teams in terms of experience, likely bottom 10 again, and youth will still be a legitimate explanation for poor performance. The fact that over half the player on the roster are freshmen, and over 75% are underclassmen, is the still the result of poor recruiting and roster management.

I maintain that youth is a legitimate reason for poor performance and will continue to be so next year, but allowing the roster to get to a state where we are so young is a failure of the coaching staff.

Not cherry picking at all. Whether you use minutes like I did or class like you just did, this year's team will be more experienced than last year's team. If we start 2 freshman as you stated, and match last year's starters, than we would have JJ (Sr.) and Nate (soph.) off the bench, which is also the same as last year except they would each be a year older. So, we would not have lower bench experience in your example, we would have better bench experience since JJ and Cayo would each be a year older (sr. and soph. instead of jr. and fresh.).

No example you use can make last year's team more experienced than this year's team no matter how many times you try to say it.
Ok, here’s a numerical argument since you’ve claimed there’s no example I can provide to articulate how we are less experienced.

How many minutes “should we” be returning next season?

6106 = 6400-294 (JK/PF/JMA graduates)

How many returning minutes do we actually have?

4020 = 6400-2380 (JK/PF/JMA/SS/KF/DMB)

Theres an error in how you perceive experience, notably that expected returning experience is somehow not relevant.

So there’s an example of how we are less experienced this year than we should be. There’s no cogent argument you can make that we shouldn’t be a far more experienced team next year than we will in fact be.

Ok, here’s a numerical argument since you’ve claimed there’s no example I can provide to articulate how we are less experienced.

Theres an error in how you perceive experience, notably that expected returning experience is somehow not relevant.

So there’s an example of how we are less experienced this year than we should be. There’s no cogent argument you can make that we shouldn’t be a far more experienced team next year than we will in fact be.
Whew!

Hey, you’re the one that said people on here don’t accept fact-based arguments (something that I concur with btw). I guess we can include you in that faction.
T, was just impressed by your analytics.

When did I say anything about being or not being less experienced than "we should be"? No one ever brought this up, and it was never part of the debate. Nice try though.

When did I say anything about being or not being less experienced than "we should be"? No one ever brought this up, and it was never part of the debate. Nice try though.
VT, you are arguing semantics. Is your position that we have somehow improved experientially over last year?

VT, you are arguing semantics. Is your position that we have somehow improved experientially over last year?

Not arguing anything. A few posters said we will be less experienced this year than last year. I disagreed with that, used facts to show why, and I stand by everything I posted.

Not arguing anything. A few posters said we will be less experienced this year than last year. I disagreed with that, used facts to show why, and I stand by everything I posted.
I know, I made the original statement on our inexperience going into this year.

I’m just trying to understand if you actually think we are in a good place experientially.

I know, I made the original statement on our inexperience going into this year.

I’m just trying to understand if you actually think we are in a good place experientially.

No, but I don't think it is bad as it appears. No question we will be young, and with 3 sophomores probably starting, one might think "yikes", but then when you realize how many minutes Grant and Jacob played last year, and how well they played last year, it does not seem so bad. They probably have a lot more minutes and game experience than a lot of starting juniors this year.

How about this: As things stand now, we will have less talent on the floor next year than we did this year?

How about this: As things stand now, we will have less talent on the floor next year than we did this year?

And how about this: If 80% of this talent was 6'4 and shorter and some of this talent could not shoot well from outside or shoot well enough from outside to draw the defense out, than it is possible to be a better team next year if some of this talent is replaced with better fits.

Reactions: Ulla1
And how about this: If 80% of this talent was 6'4 and shorter and some of this talent could not shoot well from outside or shoot well enough from outside to draw the defense out, than it is possible to be a better team next year if some of this talent is replaced with better fits.
Acknowledged. It is possible.

Reactions: Ulla1
I prefer, As things stand now, we will have less PROVEN talent on the floor next year than we did this year.
Fan1, agree, less PROVEN talent. However, am quick to point out that the talents of both Jacob and Grant were unproven at this time last year. How did that turn out?

Reactions: VT4700
I prefer the analogy that it is better to have tried and failed than not to have tried at all!! I guess everything many of you go after always turns out right. I wish I was like you then....

Reactions: KWeaver and VT4700
The minutes/numbers don't really matter. The fact is that CM will use the "youth and inexperience" excuse next season to rationalize poor performance just like he did this past season. As if the loss of players over the past few months has nothing to do with his poor recruiting and even poorer roster management.

That I agree with.

First of all, it is Mooney's fault that this is what our roster looked like last year. Secondly, no you can not spin the loss of Buck and his replacement of either JJ or some lightly recruited freshman as an upgrade over better fit.

You need talent my friend and outside of Gilyard, Nick, and GG, we don't have it.

First of all, it is Mooney's fault that this is what our roster looked like last year. Secondly, no you can not spin the loss of Buck and his replacement of either JJ or some lightly recruited freshman as an upgrade over better fit.

You need talent my friend and outside of Gilyard, Nick, and GG, we don't have it.

I think Sal has a good chance to contribute. He is very likely a talented player.

Hey, that's your opinion and that is fine, but I disagree. You need talent and fit. And, thankfully, we will have both next year, and be a lot better as a result. We have to have Jacob and Nick on the floor, so we were never going to win a lot with both Khwan and Buck playing a lot of minutes. I was not looking forward to the same lineup next year, and I just don't think losing them is a season killer. After Khwan left, sure, it would have been nice for Buck to stay out of trouble and still be here, but he is very replaceable.

Very replaceable? Hope someone can rebound. Buck did seem a little bulky, which seemed to be affecting his handle and shot. Still worried about D. Last couple years seems like we get hammered on ball handler beating us off the dribble for straight line drives, and then our rotations suck - which is hard when the primary defender gets beat so bad. Not sure if that will improve with Fore and Buck gone. Maybe the new grad transfer will help in that regard.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT