ADVERTISEMENT

Bryce Schneider - 2017 Signee

Not a Buck hater at all. I have always said he was a good player and have always said I liked both him and Khwan. I just think he is replaceable, that's all. He is not a PG like Jacob, not a big like Grant, and not a shooter and scorer like Nick. I did not see any part of his game improving and I think we will find a better fit this year. We will find out soon enough.

Heart, hustle, desire, rebounding out of his zone, athletic ability, infectious attitude on the court, and a bunch of other things that even 2011 can't quantify. I can't fathom how we are improved with him gone. I called him out when the story was that he was looking to leave on his own because I think he really was the emotional leader of the team.

I pass no judgment on fault, since I don't know the details and don't really care if I ever get them. I just know it is going to be a bigger loss than just looking at a shooting percentage. And I am highly skeptical that it can be replaced by a freshman.

We went 12 and 20 with Khwan amd Buck getting a lot of minutes last year. Last time I checked, neither player even made 3rd team all A-10. I am looking forward to a new lineup.

If we start Julius, that is not a good sign. Julius is a very limited player. He is primarily a threat to score from 3 point land but has a seriously flawed technique that makes it difficult to be a consistent scorer. On defense, he lacks the foot speed to stay with other guards, he is one of our biggest users of the flying dutchman defense and while he is very tough and crashes the board, he is undersized and not all that athletic to actually get those rebounds. Also, Julius does not have a great handle to be our starting 2 guard.
yeah, that last sentence does worry me. I guess Schneider, Wojcik and Gustavson fit better due to ball handling.
JJ's not really a 3 either, though. he has to play somewhere.

yeah, that last sentence does worry me. I guess Schneider, Wojcik and Gustavson fit better due to ball handling.
JJ's not really a 3 either, though. he has to play somewhere.
We aren't winning much next year anyway, so I think starting one of the freshman who are more of a natural 2 guard is the way to go. JJ is best served as a 7th-8th man in the rotation that you bring into give you energy.

If I were to pick right now, I would say Wojcik would be my pick to be the starting 2 guard.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
I am guessing Wojcik too, based on 4700's posts I get the fell Woj is the annoited one.

I expect him to contribute this year. He’s a consensus 3 star recruit. Anointed one seems too strong, but I expect a contributor. Maybe 10-15 mins a game to start off with. Growing as the season continues. Maybe more?

I expect him to contribute this year. He’s a consensus 3 star recruit. Anointed one seems too strong, but I expect a contributor. Maybe 10-15 mins a game to start off with. Growing as the season continues. Maybe more?

Sal is consensus 3*, not sure about Woj.

Thanks for your support Mr. Carter. I too look to positively support the players. I have enjoyed the discussion on this board over the years, and like you and pike and other posters feel bad for the negative turn. I do think it is OK to not think a 17 year old kid is going to come in and save the day and program, I am afraid that certain posters by being so positive are setting these young men up for failure - like Solly last year. I admit I had high expectations for him and was surprised how quickly Mooney dog housed him, if I may. But yes, support the players.
I do think much of the negative sentiment on here and the larger fan base (we all know guys that don't post but are less than impressed with Mooney) is due to:
1- Lack of success since 2011. We never seem to have a team that just seems built for this (NCAA). We always have to have A,B,and C go right to have a chance at the bubble.
2- Mooney's lack of passion and goal setting and being transparent with the media and fans. Obvious.
3 - Mooney's lack of tactical advantage. With JB and Tarrant, always felt like we could scheme against more talented teams and find a way. Feel opposite with Mooney.

So yes, let's be positive with the guys, without too much false expectations.
With Mooney, if he can win 23 games, he will earn my support back this year.
I'm usually with your posts about 99% of the time. I realize you closed with "if he can win 23 games", but I have 0 confidence that Mooney will win 23 games next year. Maybe you meant at some point before his contract is over? I may be wrong, but I doubt Ulla and and VT4700000000000000000000000 would go out on the limb to think Moon Man wins 23 next year.;)

Reactions: SpiderDaMan
Last edited:
I'm usually with your posts about 99% of the time. I realize you closed with "if he can win 23 games", but I have 0 confidence that Mooney will win 23 games next year. Maybe you meant at some point before his contract is over? I may be wrong, but I doubt Ulla and and VT4700000000000000000000000 would go out on the limb to think Moon Man wins 23 next year.;)
Thank you for the kind words SpiderGuy, you helped brighten my day!
I am setting the bar very high. If Mooney pulls out 17 wins, that will be seen as some type of successful season - which it should not. We have to keep resetting the bar lower, and I am not doing that anymore. I have been on the other side: If only the admissions had let in Avilla, Bernard, etc. But now he needs 23 wins. Bottom line.

Reactions: SpiderDaMan
Guy, not sure the Spiders win 23 games this coming season, but I am reasonably certain they will win 20 games. Only time will tell.

I don't know how you guys predict wins without a schedule!
At least Ulla's seen some of our 7 newcomers in person.

We went 12 and 20 with Khwan amd Buck getting a lot of minutes last year. Last time I checked, neither player even made 3rd team all A-10. I am looking forward to a new lineup.
Such a ridiculous argument. Regardless of the line up, why would you want potentially one of he best players in the program’s history to leave, and then think the team will be better? Yes, let’s reduce our talent level to improve. I’m not saying he was the best, nor was he my favorite, but he wasn’t selfish. He wasn’t the reason we lost. What you should have been hoping for was for Mooney to recruit a power forward who could start this past year, or someone more physically developed and polished than Sal to start next year.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
The problem is the team that we have today might not be the same team we have tomorrrow, we have already lost 40% of our roster to various defections since January.

I feel bad for our players that they are involved in this revolving door of a program we have now. Many are being sold that they can play at a high A-10 level by our coaching staff, when we all know that is not the case. If you are 18 and someone tells you come to my program and you will play big time college hoops in a big time conference, of course you are going to sign on to that.
A) I only count 4 guys (30%)
B) I won't hang DMB on Mooney, seems he fashioned his own boat

It's still bad though.

Buck was our leading rebounder, second on the team in assists, and 3rd on the team in scoring. He was also the team's best defensive player and made big plays at critical times. Additionally, the energy he brought to the team was palpable, which is probably why we had a headband night for him his freshman year and named a section of the stands after him last year.

Buck scored over 700 points his first two years and had over 400 rebounds. This put him on track to be an all time Top 10 scorer and a Top 5 rebounder for our program all time. The fact that he was going to be a Top 5 rebounder all time as a 6'4 guard playing out of position is pretty remarkable.

He was also Mooney's highest ranked recruit and lived up to the billing in his play.

Buck as a role player or is easily replaceable is laughable. I'm not going to say he was our best player (although an argument could be made as best all around player) but he was our most indispensible player in my opinion.

The fact that Buck was a point guard in high school and then made to play the power forward position in college because of Mooney's recruiting failures is not his fault. In fact to his credit, Buck played out of position against bigger and stronger players for much of his career and still became A-10 ROY and pre-season all A-10 last year.

Well said 97. To argue that we will be better without Buck on the roster is ridiculous. Blind optimism run amuck.

Guy, not sure the Spiders win 23 games this coming season, but I am reasonably certain they will win 20 games. Only time will tell.
I don't see that as very likely. We would need to recover the offense that's departing (about 20ppg) and drastically improve our defense just to get north of where we were last year. Feels pretty optimistic to think we'll get to 20 wins.

Last edited:
Reactions: plydogg
But khwan’s scholarship was renewed, Paul’s wasn’t. I think the key difference is that Paul was planned attrition.
Paul was a redshirt Junior and had another year on scholarship. If Paul was planned, why didn't Mooney play him on senior night?

If Paul was good and left a year early, you would have been upset about that. Because he was a Mooney recruiting miss, we say it was "planned attrition".

Paul was a redshirt Junior and had another year on scholarship. If Paul was planned, why didn't Mooney play him on senior night?

If Paul was good and left a year early, you would have been upset about that. Because he was a Mooney recruiting miss, we say it was "planned attrition".
Paul was part of senior night. Khwan wasn’t. I think you’re being hardheaded about this. Contrary to your assertion, Paul wasn’t going to be renewed for a fifth year. Khwan was.

It has nothing to do with how I feel about Paul. It was pretty evident that CM wasn’t going to bring him back.

Reactions: plydogg
Win all the cake walks and half the A10 games and it's possible. Won't win all the cake walks and more than half the A10 games without Buck. Buck was the motor. We don't have Buck anymore. Our best player by a country mile gone and I'm friggin pissed about it!!!!

Reactions: KWeaver and iSpider
Would you bet another of your ranches on this?
KWeaver, let's put it this way. While I might not bet the ranch, I would bet the barn. One of our players addressed the current roster shakeup by saying, "We good." Let's see how it plays out. Roll Spide!

KWeaver, let's put it this way. While I might not bet the ranch, I would bet the barn. One of our players addressed the current roster shakeup by saying, "We good." Let's see how it plays out. Roll Spide!
We may need E&Y to do an audit on your financials. I’m not sure how many ranches and barns you have remaining.

Fwiw I have none so you’re likely ahead of me still.

Crap. There will be no rolling in 18. Was looking good there until we lost our best player. And now we look forward to the 2019 season...

Paul graduated , I wouldn’t count him.
Well Paul had bed sores from the bench. Solly’s fellings were hurt, took his ball and went and surrendered in France. Khwan Volunteered to leave. Ford went home to find some basket weaving classes and I guess Buck will transfer to Colorado or Colorado State.

Reactions: spiderman
Well Paul had bed sores from the bench. Solly’s fellings were hurt, took his ball and went and surrendered in France. Khwan Volunteered to leave. Ford went home to find some basket weaving classes and I guess Buck will transfer to Colorado or Colorado State.
There are multiple Legalized states that Buck can go to now.

Reactions: SpiderK
I believe marijuana is still a banned substance according to the NCAA though. Perhaps, colleges in Colorado, Washington, California have less rigorous testing programs though.

If I had to guess how good a player was based solely on the number of posts in their commitment tread, I would have to guess Bryce is one of the best recruits we have ever signed!

Reactions: KWeaver
I believe marijuana is still a banned substance according to the NCAA though. Perhaps, colleges in Colorado, Washington, California have less rigorous testing programs though.
Correct, although I expect very few people would suggest it is performance enhancing.

Really, I think I mentioned elsewhere, but I feel like he had a handle when in HS, and I feel like he may end up our backup 1. :eek:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT