ADVERTISEMENT

Bryce Schneider - 2017 Signee

I was under the impression that Grant is a 4/5, depending on if he's really 6'10" now or as small as 6'7". I haven't seen anything that says he's considered a 3.

I think we definitely add a big in the current class, and 2 more in the Schneider class.

SFspider, THANKS much for the mix-tape. Very nice skill-set!

Bryce looks like an outstanding outside shooter, and I also noticed some excellent passes, which will endear him to the coaches and to his future teammates. If anyone has an easy way to follow his game-by-game stats, or can provide an update so far (PPG, RPG, APG, and any shooting percentages), I am confident we would all like to see how our outstanding future Spider (and commit) is developing.

SFspider, THANKS much for the mix-tape. Very nice skill-set!

Bryce looks like an outstanding outside shooter, and I also noticed some excellent passes, which will endear him to the coaches and to his future teammates. If anyone has an easy way to follow his game-by-game stats, or can provide an update so far (PPG, RPG, APG, and any shooting percentages), I am confident we would all like to see how our outstanding future Spider (and commit) is developing.

I think I always like the skinny player who tvr do kosa dirbbles hard to basket and is shooter

Ulla, thanks much for the two links! I love having access to our future player's stats, and videos, and you are great at helping to provide these to "true-blue" UR fans. Three quick observations about the two games that Bryce played in, and a comparison to another recruit we are looking at.
First, Bryce's 19 rebounds is either a fantastic stat or a typo of some sort. It is certainly a very rare number for a future guard, or even a small-forward. I guess he does not mind "mixing it up inside."
Second, Bryce had no (zero) 3-pointers in either game. My guess is that he is being played "inside," because of his team's needs. It would be interesting to see his 3-point shooting stats from last year, since that might help us project him as a 2 or a 3, as a future Spider.
Third, having watched the St. Chris final in the Holiday classic, a few days back, and having watched Bryce's video (very impressive) Bryce reminds me a great deal of the PG from St. Chris, who is a teammate of Nick Sherod. If Bryce is more of a SF, then maybe we should continue to look at the St. Chris PG, who has "anywhere in the gym" range on his 3-pointer, and could likely offer support/depth at the 1 or 2. .

The 25 points in a big rivalry game is great to see! It is clear that Bryce is a "leader" on this team either verbally or by his actions.

On a side note it is worthy that Bryce did almost all of his scoring from inside the 3-point line, scoring one "3" in this game. This further reinforces what was obvious from past games this season, that his coaching staff seems to be expecting him to stay inside, where he can rebound, and follow his own shots.

So, the only question that surfaces is how strong is Bryce's 3-point shooting now, and is it likely to get much practice, and improvement, during his senior season? I'm thinking that Bryce will likely be a strong outside shooter, but have just not seen much evidence to support this, from his senior season... He will get LOTS of 3-point shooting opportunities when he gets to Richmond, so would like to see him make a few more outside shots this season, if that helps his team win, of course....

The 25 points in a big rivalry game is great to see! It is clear that Bryce is a "leader" on this team either verbally or by his actions.

On a side note it is worthy that Bryce did almost all of his scoring from inside the 3-point line, scoring one "3" in this game. This further reinforces what was obvious from past games this season, that his coaching staff seems to be expecting him to stay inside, where he can rebound, and follow his own shots.

So, the only question that surfaces is how strong is Bryce's 3-point shooting now, and is it likely to get much practice, and improvement, during his senior season? I'm thinking that Bryce will likely be a strong outside shooter, but have just not seen much evidence to support this, from his senior season... He will get LOTS of 3-point shooting opportunities when he gets to Richmond, so would like to see him make a few more outside shots this season, if that helps his team win, of course....
Oldie, I am glad to see a future UR player be able to score 25 without it all being 3 pointers. I like that balance and versatility.

Looks like Bryce is really a small forward. Monte is also classified as a small forward. Looks like the Spiders are landing some multi talented guys. OSC

A smart player that can pass and shoot. Has some length, I think he is at least a 2.5 star recruit. I think 2 star is the default when the raters have not really seen him play

Bryce is a 3-star guy. These ratings don't mean much, but mean even less as a sophomore. OSC

He needs to eat some biscuits and gravy. I look forward to seeing him get stronger as he looks very skinny right now.

Fezz, I know you keep saying that, but our guys don't strike me as musclemen.

I'm guessing your suggestion is that in our efforts to get our guys bigger they are losing some of their skill or shooting touch?

It's an interesting theory, would be interested to know if you are speculating or if this is factual.

Anyone who has every tried to shoot a basketball after lifting weights knows how beefing up effects your stroke. So, I think as guys add more muscle, they run the risk of effecting their shooting stroke, which is probably what made most recruits, recruits in the first place.

However, in todays game, if you are slight of stature, you are going to get pushed around too much in other facets of the game. So, has to be a balance.

I think what Fezz is getting at are guys like Deion and Trey, who had good strokes in high school, but now do not. Did beefing up impact that or not, is the question?

Well, as noted, the key is balance. I'm all for keeping a guy's shooting stroke smooth if it's good, but obviously you give up something elsewhere if they are slight of build.

Yes this is what I think.. I say no bench press no bicep kurl no tricep extention . but shoulder work yes and core work yes.. ballistic exercise like hang clean or push press develops triple extetion for jumping striong and also plyometrics but not too much plyometrics because is bad... I have used for players Vertimax a long time ago and was very very good. I also mean why has nt Taylor developed amy offense in these years . I always say if you are wide open for 3 you are open to drive to hoop very well but when i see him try this it was very poor execution and i think Coach needs to fix sometime and say hello i want you to do this for us and of course [practice practice his ONE offense move.

Fezz, I know you keep saying that, but our guys don't strike me as musclemen.

I'm guessing your suggestion is that in our efforts to get our guys bigger they are losing some of their skill or shooting touch?

It's an interesting theory, would be interested to know if you are speculating or if this is factual.

Its pure speculation, an old wives tale.

Its pure speculation, an old wives tale.
I would buy it if the guys were getting significantly musclebound, that only stands to reason, but I don't feel like many, if any, of our guys are so ripped out that it's affecting their shooting.

But as always, I'm not an expert, so what do I know.

Yes this is what I think.. I say no bench press no bicep kurl no tricep extention . but shoulder work yes and core work yes.. ballistic exercise like hang clean or push press develops triple extetion for jumping striong and also plyometrics but not too much plyometrics because is bad... I have used for players Vertimax a long time ago and was very very good. I also mean why has nt Taylor developed amy offense in these years . I always say if you are wide open for 3 you are open to drive to hoop very well but when i see him try this it was very poor execution and i think Coach needs to fix sometime and say hello i want you to do this for us and of course [practice practice his ONE offense move.
I really think there is some merit to this. I was never a football or basketball player, but was/am a baseball player and golfer. I know bulk weight lifting in my 20's and 30's ruined my golf game at the time. I think shooting a basket ball under pressure is such a fine tuned hand-eye coordinated action, that it doesn't take much to throw it off a hair. Bench pressing 275lbs cannot help a free throw anymore than it does a chip shot in golf. Stronger is better, but too strong and bond up is no good. IMHO

Reactions: Ulla1
Yes, but who on our roster would qualify as "bound up"? I don't think many of our players fit the bill.

I really think there is some merit to this. I was never a football or basketball player, but was/am a baseball player and golfer. I know bulk weight lifting in my 20's and 30's ruined my golf game at the time. I think shooting a basket ball under pressure is such a fine tuned hand-eye coordinated action, that it doesn't take much to throw it off a hair. Bench pressing 275lbs cannot help a free throw anymore than it does a chip shot in golf. Stronger is better, but too strong and bond up is no good. IMHO

Did you golf for several hours every single day after lifting?

Reactions: MolivaManiac
Did you golf for several hours every single day after lifting?
No I couldn't, but wish I could have. However, I never got as bad as our free throw shooters are. Lol Just saying that lifting heavy effects the small motor skills, and it doesn't take much to throw off a shot.

Yes, but who on our roster would qualify as "bound up"? I don't think many of our players fit the bill.
Derek Williams got worse and worse. Couldn't move his head side to side or lift his arms over his head. If he could he didn't. I honestly think DT and TD lost any touch they may have had.

Derek Williams got worse and worse. Couldn't move his head side to side or lift his arms over his head. If he could he didn't. I honestly think DT and TD lost any touch they may have had.

Deion and DWill both had severe back problems that forced them to change their games. This had a much bigger effect on their games than lifting did.

DWill was a career 74% ft shooter at ur. He was between 72 and 76 every year, so no perceptible drop off there. If he's the case study, then reconsider the argument. Again, I'm not contending there isn't an effect here, but I really don't see that we lift these guys to the point they can no longer shoot.

DWill was a career 74% ft shooter at ur. He was between 72 and 76 every year, so no perceptible drop off there. If he's the case study, then reconsider the argument. Again, I'm not contending there isn't an effect here, but I really don't see that we lift these guys to the point they can no longer shoot.
Ok you win, weight lifting has nothing to do with it. I was trying to come with an excuse for the constant throwing up of brick after brick. I guess they just aren't very good.

Deion and DWill both had severe back problems that forced them to change their games. This had a much bigger effect on their games than lifting did.
I didn't know DW had back problems also. I knew he had ankle problems.

Anyone remember what happened to Dan Geriot when he bulked up? He loses his touch and moves, and what little speed he had. When he lost most of his bulk for his senior year much of his skill returned.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT