ADVERTISEMENT

Bracketology update

Odd that the Swine flu in 09/10 didnt cause near as much “concern”.
Nearly 61 million people were infected in the USA with more than 17000 deaths.
Were schools closed and arena events cancelled?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSN1223579720100212
I guess the media and liberal leaders carefully select what to create panic over and when.
I've gone back and forth on this whether this is overkill and panic or not. If you read what is going on over in some sections of Italy with hospital systems being overwhelmed in a matter of days and the rationing of health care, well you just have to hope and pray that doesn't happen here.

I think things are going to look a lot different next week and perhaps this weekend than they do right now. I hope I am wrong.

Reactions: KWeaver and plydogg
Odd that the Swine flu in 09/10 didnt cause near as much “concern”.
Nearly 61 million people were infected in the USA with more than 17000 deaths.
Were schools closed and arena events cancelled?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSN1223579720100212
I guess the media and liberal leaders carefully select what to create panic over and when.

Wow. Just wow. How dare the media and those liberals make up this virus, right? Sounds like you have been listening way too much to a certain clueless person with the knowledge of maybe a third grader. Over 1300 schools closed because of the swine flu. The swine flu had a death rate of 0.02%. We still don't know what we need to about the coronavirus, but so far we are anywhere from 3.4 to 4% death rate. Sounds like you are the one too worried about bringing politics into this, instead of actually listening to people that know what they're talking about. Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spiderbymarriage
I believe the subject of the virus hysteria fully effects the NCAA tournament and its bracketology. Ivy League canceling its tournament. Ohio State, Va Tech and others considering closing the schools and going to online classes only. This thing is nuts. We lose 26 people to “lead poisoning” every weekend in Chicago. The overreaction is unbelievable, however it does show how unprepared we are for something real when it comes. I have to agree with FatherSpider that much of this hysteria is politically motivated and it’s a shame that so many people’s jobs, wealth, income and entertainment will be adversely effected.

Reactions: SpiderRick
Wow. Just wow. How dare the media and those liberals make up this virus, right? Sounds like you have been listening way too much to a certain clueless person with the knowledge of maybe a third grader. Over 10,000 schools closed because of the swine flu. The swine flu had a death rate of 0.02%. We still don't know what we need to about the coronavirus, but so far we are anywhere from 3.4 to 4% death rate. Sounds like you are the one too worried about bringing politics into this, instead of actually listening to people that know what they're talking about. Best of luck to you.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_flu_pandemic_in_the_United_States
It mainly affected children and the death rate was much higher in children and even then, less than 800 schools closed, and those were with confirmed cases in the school. 10000? Fake news.
The government publicly discouraged schools from closing “due to limited effectiveness closures had as a control measure.”
And that was with millions affected and 17,000 deaths. No colleges closed. And I dont remember sporting events being cancelled or played without fans.
You can say we need to take caution but please dont try to argue that the swine flu pandemic created 1/100 of the panic this is causing, while being far more rampant and widespread.
Good luck to you and family as the panic, not the disease spreads.
My last post on the subject mods.

It mainly affected children and the death rate was much higher in children and even then, less than 800 schools closed, and those were with confirmed cases in the school. 10000? Fake news.
The government publicly discouraged schools from closing “due to limited effectiveness closures had as a control measure.”
And that was with millions affected and 17,000 deaths. No colleges closed. And I dont remember sporting events being cancelled or played without fans.
You can say we need to take caution but please dont try to argue that the swine flu pandemic created 1/100 of the panic this is causing, while being far more rampant and widespread.
I agree Precautions are one thing, Panic is another...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu

And now on to basketball...

I will take what Spider Fan said one step further.

If 92 of 124 people who are trying to predict who the Committee will select think you will be selected, then more sports writers are likely to write about you.
The more sports writers write about you the more the Committee notices you.
The more the Committee notices you the more likely they are to select you.

Could be a self fulfilling prophecy.

As the Whos said to Horton, "We are here!, We are here!, We are here!"

There needs to be a"tongue-in-cheek" emoji...

I want to give the one guy who has VCU in a hard time, but he also has us as a 9 seed and Dayton still a 1. :) I seriously doubt all three of those can happen, but who knows?
I think that is a computer generated bracket that doesn't change much
"First 4 Out.....Virginia : USC : Oklahoma : Arizona St"?

Good luck to you and your family as well. Even though you can still survive by not wearing a seatbelt, I would recommend wearing one. And, correction. Yes, I misread the amount of school closings earlier. It was 1300. Still pretty significant considering you did not even think there were any.

As for comparing death rates, swine flu was 0.02%. From what we know so far, we are around 3.4 to 4% for the coronavirus. Hopefully, the final numbers will be a lot less, but we are in an unknown stage right now. So, 2 in 10,000 died from swine flu, while if we use 3% for coronavirus 300 in 10,000 will die from coronavirus.

I am not panicking at all. I am just considering the possibilities of what we might be talking about here. And if people or companies or sporting events or schools or whatever want to take extra caution, that's fine by me. You can think the numbers 2 and 300 are the same if you want. Or, if things spread, you can think 200 and 30,000 are the same numbers. That's up to you.

Last edited:
Good luck to you and your family as well. Even though you can still survive by not wearing a seatbelt, I would recommend wearing one. And, correction. Yes, I misread the amount of school closings earlier. It was 1300. Still pretty significant considering you did not even think there were any.

As for comparing death rates, swine flu was 0.02%. From what we know so far, we are around 3.4 to 4% for the coronavirus. Hopefully, the final numbers will be a lot less, but we are in an unknown stage right now. So, 2 in 10,000 died from swine flu, while if we use 3% for coronavirus 300 in 10,000 will die from coronavirus.

I am not panicking at all. I am just considering the possibilities of what we might be talking about here. And if people or companies or sporting events or schools or whatever want to take extra caution, that's fine by me. You can think the numbers 2 and 300 are the same if you want. Or, if things spread, you can think 2,000 and 30,000 are the same numbers. That's up to you.
I promised not to reply on this subject here and wont.

Reactions: ChoppinBroccoli
Same. I promised earlier. Sorry to everyone for replying again. I have edited the earlier post and changed the number to 1300 schools.

NCAA has just released a picture of the required uniform to play in The Dance. Will be available in appropriate team color. Pictured is the UVA uniform.

ihwx.86F9AF9C-B05A-4727-BD9B-F28A1E476333.500.500__27172.1532113947.jpg

Ugh. Let’s stop the political motivation talk here. Surely Italy hasn’t run into its issues because it wants Trump not to win. Same with China. South Korea. Etc. The sickness itself isn’t politically motivated. We are just getting caught with our pants down because the freaking CDC was defunded. That was a political blunder. But whatever.

edit: Go Spiders!

Ugh. Let’s stop the political motivation talk here. Surely Italy hasn’t run into its issues because it wants Trump not to win. Same with China. South Korea. Etc. The sickness itself isn’t politically motivated. We are just getting caught with our pants down because the freaking CDC was defunded. That was a political blunder. But whatever.

edit: Go Spiders!

#fake news

Let’s stick to basketball. St. Francis (PA) is currently down in their title game. Them going dancing certainly would be fun to say we beat another tournament team

Uh, you start your post with "let's stop the political motivation talk" and end it with " that was a political blunder"(I assume a slam on the current administration). Who was the president during the swine flu that caused 12,000 deaths?

Come on Weav, you're better than that. Can't have it both ways, my man.

In the NEC Hofstra (an intriguing potential 14 seed) is tied up with Northeastern (probably a 16) with 15 minutes left to play!

In the Horizon league Northern Kentucky (14/15 seed) is up four on UIC (16seed) by 4 with 13 minutes left.

Personally I’d like to see Hofstra and Northern Kentucky both make it. With how inconsistent the top teams have been this year id love to see a really bad seed pull off the big upset!

Reactions: gospidersgo
In the NEC Hofstra (an intriguing potential 14 seed) is tied up with Northeastern (probably a 16) with 15 minutes left to play!

In the Horizon league Northern Kentucky (14/15 seed) is up four on UIC (16seed) by 4 with 13 minutes left.

Personally I’d like to see Hofstra and Northern Kentucky both make it. With how inconsistent the top teams have been this year id love to see a really bad seed pull off the big upset!
NEC? When did you say you graduated? We used to be in the CAA, They joined soon after we left.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonial_Athletic_Association#Member_schools

Reactions: plydogg
NEC? When did you say you graduated? We used to be in the CAA, They joined soon after we left.

Oh boy I mixed that one up. Had the St. Francis game in my head since they’re NEC.

I graduated is 2016 so long after the CAA days oops!

Oh boy I mixed that one up. Had the St. Francis game in my head since they’re NEC.

I graduated is 2016 so long after the CAA days oops!
Added wiki with membership timeline.
Football is ongoing. I think we were swing vote for A-10 to CAA.

North Dakota State is up 21-2 on North Dakota in the Summit League Championship.

Told u fools just wait the coronavirus stuff would get political on here. After my non political only funny NIT reveal tweet was originally deleted & ppl mysteriously freaked out. I’ll wait for a LOT of deletions by the admins or a heartfelt apology I guess ha.

I’m nailing it this year..ncaa expectations, Lunardi and now this.

Next prediction is plydogg takes his ball & eventually goes home like before

this is like being back in the caa where only the winner of the tournament danced. if we are where we are today in the A-10 we joined, we would already be in with a good seed. the league is just not what it was back then and going through this like before just sucks.

this is like being back in the caa where only the winner of the tournament danced. if we are where we are today in the A-10 we joined, we would already be in with a good seed. the league is just not what it was back then and going through this like before just sucks.
Nobody is "already in" until they win their conference. Crazy things happen. Sure, there are many teams considered "locks" but it seems like often enough there is somebody the "experts" consider solidly in who gets snubbed.

Archie might compare the committee members to the Muppets tonight and they'll leave the Hoosiers out just for spite.

Reactions: plydogg
Nobody is "already in" until they win their conference. Crazy things happen. Sure, there are many teams considered "locks" but it seems like often enough there is somebody the "experts" consider solidly in who gets snubbed.

Archie might compare the committee members to the Muppets tonight and they'll leave the Hoosiers out just for spite.
So this could be the committee?
Puppetgovernment.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT