ADVERTISEMENT

Aaron Roussell named WBBall Head Coach

Maybe we see how he does as our women's coach next year and then elevate him to men's coach. I still think Mooney is perfect for our women's job.

UR won't take Hardt, then womens coach, and then mens coach from Bucknell athletics 3 successive years. More of a protocol and respect thing for Bucknell. Plus Hardt, in his desire to not look like the one trick pony he is, could feel like that well is dried up. With Hardt, Crutcher & PQ I expect it's all a moot point anyway.
Gotcha. Makes sense. Our men's opening will generate a lot more interest than our women's program.

What a lazy hire. Even if this guy is the next Geno Auriemma, thats flat out lazy and lacks any semblance of effort or creativity

would assume that any professional in this business already had a short list of candidates and this guy was the best one, the best fit, in his opinion. the fact of where he came from does not preclude him from being the right coach for us and all the petty, toilet bowl, comments do nothing for anyone. some of you just need to back away and look in the mirror, do some soul searching and hit the reset button. would also suggest that most of you should be glad that your job and your performance is not on social media where people who have no clue about what you do tell you how to do it. welcome coach, good luck!

just hope he does not make the players cry, saw that with one of our coaches and was pretty sorry. he seems like a good fit and his record is excellent. can he upgrade his recruiting for our league and coach against better coaches? that will be the rubber hitting the road.

"Lunardi, without citing specifics, said a financial settlement appears likely between the university and Gaitley. Lunardi said Gaitley's lawyers and university attorneys have been in discussion."

https://www.trentonian.com/sports/p...cle_6fce8d52-aa23-5f76-89d5-634067b92a86.html

She fought it, that's well known and definitely received a settlement. With your love of cut & paste links maybe this one will give you an inkling since you drudged up the gaitley history. Our savior Joe Lunardi knows! Joe was probably part of one trick pony Hardt's national search committee.

Gaitley turned around 5 programs. I'm a little surprised we didn't hire a woman, the last two here were very successful, and the last 2 men were not.

That all said Roussell looks to have legit chops.

Show me the facts.Show me the settlement agreement less 33% going to a Philly lawyer.Moving expenses to LIU seems like a good settlement.
Don’t use the excuse it’s under court seal for 100 years.No more nonsense.

If he came from Lafayette or Lehigh, instead of Bucknell, people would be wetting their pants over the quality of this hire.

And I'd say if the guy is the next Geno Auriemma, then it was a pretty astute hire.

I don't care where he came from. Good luck, coach.

Seems like a really solid hire. When you read the press release from what he has done at Bucknell, you can't help but be impressed and also sad at the same time, when you compare his results to what we have had to deal with in both our men's and women's programs.

Roussell is a tremendous coach, who will do very well there. When he arrived at Bucknell, they had just gone through a 5-25 season. Within three years, they were the league's dominant team and would have been among the top A10 teams for each of the last three years.

Reactions: Stork3 and urfan1
he seems like a good fit and his record is excellent. can he upgrade his recruiting for our league and coach against better coaches? that will be the rubber hitting the road.

If he recruits at the same level he did with Bucknell, UR basketball will be a contender every year. In fact this year, Bucknell was ranked ahead of all 14 A10 teams, based on both Massey and RPI.

Reactions: urfan1
Yes, looks like a good hire. Hardt can go back to his nap now, wake up next March and call Nathan.

At this point, as a Bucknell fan, I'm not sure why a higher-level team would want to hire Nathan. Maybe someone can explain to me.

At this point, as a Bucknell fan, I'm not sure why a higher-level team would want to hire Nathan. Maybe someone can explain to me.
His number one characteristic is that he is not Mooney.
He has an .800 win percentage vs conference at two different levels (D3, D1)
His teams are tough and seem to play defense.
He is not Mooney

Curious to hear more about this...

Davis won the Patriot League two years in a row and made it to the title game the third year (this year). Two NCAA bids. All of this sounds pretty great to Spider fans who are used to finishing eighth in the A10 and being knocked out in the quarterfinals of the league tourney every year.

What don't you like about Davis?

Reactions: KWeaver
If he recruits at the same level he did with Bucknell, UR basketball will be a contender every year. In fact this year, Bucknell was ranked ahead of all 14 A10 teams, based on both Massey and RPI.
Thanks Bison. What are your thoughts on Davis? Obviously, with Hardt here and now Rousell, Davis is a topic of conversation down here.

I like your thinking 2K, but I don't feel like Hardt fired Shaefer. He let the contract run out. A worker on a specific contract would really need to show that his/her service is at least satisfactorily meeting the requirement in order to earn a new contract. So basically big hat did nothing there. By this measure, Mooney will coach out his contract no matter the results, and then he will evaluate.
Not sure about that 23, it’s like Hardt fired him last year by not extending his contract. Same effect.

The Geico singing basketball quartet was ranked higher than any A-10 team this year.

Reactions: nathanw19
the only fear one should have here is that he inadvertently recruited a KA or brett blizzard, which is the real reason for the good record the past couple of years.

Unless Nathan Davis and Bucknell make the sweet 16 next year - he can't come to UR. Would just look bad for Hardt hiring two coaches in 2 seasons from his previous school. Only way it works - like I said - is if Nathan Davis and Bucknell make it past the first weekend, then people will look the other way.

So as of right now - cross Nathan Davis off your list.

cannot see handcuffing our AD, although we really don't have a say in it. as long as he has his list, listens to other people, contacts, he will try and obtain who he feels is the best man or woman for the job, that is his job, plain and simple. kind of humorous for us to be scratching off candidates when we have no real clue other than what we read and those writing are clueless as well.

must remember, as good as DT was, did not win the conference every year and had some first round losses as well. we were always in the mix and competitive and maybe davis is the same way, in the mix and competitive.

I’m sure we’ll never know but I’m curious who else we interviewed.

I wish I felt differently, but this feels like Hardt made a lazy hire of someone he worked with before. Doesn’t help the perception that he’s just cashing checks.

However, I hope I’m proven wrong and Roussell wins big (not by UR standards but actually winning and making NCAAs).

have spoken to some buds who are huge SPIDER fans and they like our Athletic Director, a lot. just seems that he did not make the move that many on here wanted, wished for, were ready to die for and therefore he has been thrown into the trash pile. none of us on here have the complete picture and to just denigrate a person because he did not do what you wanted seems pretty small.

I’m sure we’ll never know but I’m curious who else we interviewed.

I wish I felt differently, but this feels like Hardt made a lazy hire of someone he worked with before. Doesn’t help the perception that he’s just cashing checks.

However, I hope I’m proven wrong and Roussell wins big (not by UR standards but actually winning and making NCAAs).
The guy has won 72 percent of his games, won 78 percent of his games over the past four years, has won at least 22 games the past four seasons and has won 89 percent of his conference games over the past four years.

He has advanced to postseason four years in a row, built a 29-game home winning streak, won 80 percent of his home games, was the league's Coach of the Year twice and went 28-6 last season.

I hope Hardt is just as "lazy" and hires a MBB with similar credentials in 2020.

have spoken to some buds who are huge SPIDER fans and they like our Athletic Director, a lot. just seems that he did not make the move that many on here wanted, wished for, were ready to die for and therefore he has been thrown into the trash pile. none of us on here have the complete picture and to just denigrate a person because he did not do what you wanted seems pretty small.
I don't think that's a fair way to characterize it. It's not that any of us simply want him to do what we want -- we want him to do what is best for the department and for the basketball program in particular and we don't believe that keeping the status quo achieves that goal. He obviously does. So be it. Lots of us disagree with him. We'll see who's right.

I'd guess 50% of the casual conversation at Spider Football Alumni Weekend centered around the state of our basketball program.

Reactions: SpiderK
Eight, that is why i indicated that most of us do not know, understand, the complete picture, know the details and therefore just attacking him because he did not do what it was assumed he was brought here to do is OK. think i was more fair than some on here who want it their way or the guy stinks and is a louse without even knowing everything. on here, we see only one thing, inside the RC, obviously a lot more involved which we do not know about and to just blame him, throw stones at him when it may not be his responsibility. my buds know this guy, doubt many on here, if they have even met him, do know him and really not fair to call him names and trash him without knowing him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ulla1
Saw that Aaron was at the Women's Final Four already recruiting and promoting our program. Interesting that he has this thing called a Twitter page with over 4000 followers that he uses to further promote our women's basketball program. Interesting and novel way to help promote the school and the program.

Questions:

1. Was anyone from our men's team at the Men's Final Four or were they too busy out recruiting the total of 2 guys we are recruiting?
2. Why does Mooney not have a Twitter page. Rhoades has 9000 followers on his twitter page.

Saw that Aaron was at the Women's Final Four already recruiting and promoting our program. Interesting that he has this thing called a Twitter page with over 4000 followers that he uses to further promote our women's basketball program. Interesting and novel way to help promote the school and the program.

Questions:

1. Was anyone from our men's team at the Men's Final Four or were they too busy out recruiting the total of 2 guys we are recruiting?
2. Why does Mooney not have a Twitter page. Rhoades has 9000 followers on his twitter page.
97 a UR 76 daughter who goes to UVA was in MN for the games and sent a text picture back of she and Mooney at one of the local restaurants.

Sorry, I watched the first half of the Women’s NCAA championship game and it was like having teeth pulled. Nobody can jump, no blocked shots, just a million set shot 3’s and wide open layups. Women’s softball is better.

Mooney is either the boringest coach in America, or does a great job of hiding it, or both. I think he is a terrible ambassador for our program. The new women's hire is creating more buzz than Mooney has in eight years.

It was a well played women’s championship game. The two teams combined for 39 assists and only 18 turnovers. Baylor shot over 50% from the field and Notre Dame was over 50% from 3 and 18-22 from the foul line. Final score was 82-81 with the winning basket made with under 4 seconds left.

It was an exciting game and I enjoyed it very much.

Good luck to our new Coach.

Reactions: KWeaver and urfan1
Sorry, I watched the first half of the Women’s NCAA championship game and it was like having teeth pulled. Nobody can jump, no blocked shots, just a million set shot 3’s and wide open layups. Women’s softball is better.
K, will share a story. Was in Lisbon, Portugal last year. A taxi cab driver told me he had a girlfriend in the US and he had spent considerable time there. He said that he enjoyed sports in the US greatly. He said he liked all sports except he could not watch women’s basketball. Said it was awful!

It was a well played women’s championship game. The two teams combined for 39 assists and only 18 turnovers. Baylor shot over 50% from the field and Notre Dame was over 50% from 3 and 18-22 from the foul line. Final score was 82-81 with the winning basket made with under 4 seconds left.

It was an exciting game and I enjoyed it very much.

Good luck to our new Coach.
Neither team could have beaten a good high school boy’s team. Just saying. Just hard to watch.

Reactions: Ulla1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT