ADVERTISEMENT

Aaron Roussell named WBBall Head Coach

97, read some of the posts above, the search firm does not hire nor negotiate a hire, they vet and provide a list of candidates which takes a load off of our staff to go out and do the same, though am sure we do some checking as well. there are hundreds of coaches and we know very little other than what is in the papers so money well spent to do background checks, identify agents who represent the people and to make sure they are not pedophiles or criminals or domestic abusers. not sure we have staff who could do a proper job of all that. after all that, does not mean that we cannot hire someone we already knew without the firm, just means we covered a lot of bases, which is good.

I like what I heard from AR and I like his success rate. Interesting to see what he is able to do with current team and 2 solid recruits coming in. We are a horrible shooting team

Reactions: urfan1
as is proven every season, one can do a great job of finding solid candidates and making a seemingly good or even great hire but does not work out every time. this seems like a really good hire and would bet that many people were looked at and discussed before making the decision but does not guarantee success. social media is about questioning and accusing and picking at scabs, the times in which we live and not always pretty.

5c9a35d165897.image.jpg

All-Metro player of the year: After four stellar seasons, Trinity's Elaina Chapman is ready to head to UR

BY DREW FLORES Richmond Times-Dispatch·8 hours ago

Elaina Chapman didn't just dominate one aspect of games on her way to becoming the Times-Dispatch girls basketball player of the year. She turned in complete performances nightly.

During her senior season, she posted 19.5 points per game and 11.4 rebounds per game for Trinity Episcopal, also contributing 1.4 assists, 2.6 steals and 1.4 blocks on a nightly basis.

It's something she said she couldn't have foreseen when her high school career began.

"I never thought I would be able to reach 2,000 points and 1,000 rebounds when I came on as a freshman," she said.

She reached both landmarks, scoring 2,060 points and grabbing 1,120 career rebounds.

In the process, Chapman demonstrated what a pillar of consistency looks like, and became a role model to not just her senior teammates, but future generations of Trinity girls basketball players.

"We are going to miss her leadership on the court and in the locker room," said Trinity coach Adam Lonon.

Chapman credits Lonon for helping her develop into that leader he adored so much.

"He really pushed me to be more vocal," said Chapman. "He allowed me to become the player I am now."

Along with Lonon, Chapman has always looked to her parents as her rock.

"They are some of my biggest motivators."

Her dominance doesn't end on the hardwood. Chapman is an excellent student; she will finish her high school academic career with a 4.0 GPA.

Chapman will be attending the University of Richmond to continue her academic and athletic career. While there, she will be pursuing a pre-med degree, and would eventually like to become a doctor once her playing days are behind her.

Chapman's father played basketball at North Carolina A&T, one of the colleges she looked at going to play at, but she ultimately decided to stay home and play in Richmond. She will be joined by her Titan teammate Angel Burgos.

One of Chapman's fondest memories of her senior season was being able to win the Times-Dispatch Invitational Tournament.

She helped her squad beat Cosby, one of the area's top programs. The matchup pitted her and fellow first-team All-Metro standout Nia Covington against one another.

"It felt so good to beat such a talented team," Chapman said.

Chapman said she will always relish her days as a Titan.

"I will miss the humor," she said. "During games we always had a serious tone, but were always able to find the fun and humor in things."

As a model of consistency for her team she always tried to instill in the younger players that "working together as a team and being able to trust your teammates and also trusting what you can bring to the game will always help you win."

Opponents will be happy to not see Chapman any more next season, but will still have to worry about another Chapman for two more seasons, as Elaina's younger sister Alyssa also plays for the school.

"Be confident and trust in your skills," is the message Elaina gave her sister.

Chapman's legacy will not soon be forgotten as a Titan, and is just starting as a Spider.

Looks like Rousel filled out his assistant coaching staff with all Bucknell folk. One of the assistant coaches coming here coached at Delaware (assistant) for years before moving to Bucknell.

Looks like Rousel filled out his assistant coaching staff with all Bucknell folk. One of the assistant coaches coming here coached at Delaware (assistant) for years before moving to Bucknell.
There was a former UR player on staff and I would have thought someone may have been
left from a continuity standpoint. But considering the history, I can also understand cleaning
house. Wonder what kind of perks, like paid moving expense, were given to get the whole staff
to agree to relocate.

Clean slate was needed. Glad rebuild is underway. Will be interesting to see how current and new players respond.

There was a former UR player on staff and I would have thought someone may have been
left from a continuity standpoint. But considering the history, I can also understand cleaning
house. Wonder what kind of perks, like paid moving expense, were given to get the whole staff
to agree to relocate.
Assistants typically work on one-year contracts. I suspect a raise and the opportunity to work with a head coach and assistants you already know in a better conference in a nice place to live would be sufficient incentive. I would expect the new assistants got some kind of moving stipend as well.

I enjoy women's college basketball, it's tremendously popular where I live, the players are some of the best-known athletes in town. I'll be watching our progress with interest.

Reactions: wr70beh and urfan1
Has UR explored having the men’s team all change their name to Mary and compete as a women’s team. We could possibly crack the top 20!

I am referring to a guy who broke 4 women’s world power lifting records last week in one meet by changing his name to Mary and competing as a woman. Looks like the Olympics are going to be a mess.

Looks like the new blood on the team likes the new coach, and didn't bail when Schaeffer was fired. There wasn't a mass exodus of players when Roussell was hired. Looking forward to see how they adapt

Reactions: Eight Legger
I wonder if any school has ever promoted their women's coach to the men's HC.
Maine did this last year. They finished 5-27, a year after going 6-26. They haven't won more than 8 games since 2012-13, so kind of hard to gauge his abilities just yet, but he won as their women's coach after some initial terrible years.

Reactions: 64Spider
Congrats to the ladies on advancing in the A-10 tourney. Three days after losing at GW to wrap up the regular season, the Spiders went back up there and knocked off the Colonials.

Their reward is top seed Dayton, and it’s on the Flyers’ home court since they’re hosting the rest of the tournament.

Been and up and down season, but there’s reason to be optimistic.

Watched a lot of women's hoops this year. He's playing a lot of the young ones mostly because that's his future. You want to talk about the future being bright? Well, too early to tell. They'll need more grit next year to take that next step, but they're on the right path.

Watched a lot of women's hoops this year. He's playing a lot of the young ones mostly because that's his future. You want to talk about the future being bright? Well, too early to tell. They'll need more grit next year to take that next step, but they're on the right path.

Where are these games available to watch? I’ve wanted to watch out women’s team but truly do not know what the options are for watching them

About two-thirds of their games were on ESPN+ this year.

Thank you for that info. Most of our games are on while I’m at work (west coast) so I have to watch when I’m home and the women’s team has been an afterthought because of that

Will happily eat some crow here. Nothing against Roussell, but I thought it was an incredibly lazy hire. Even if that was correct, he's a good coach. Now I hope he can raise the talent level.

Will happily eat some crow here. Nothing against Roussell, but I thought it was an incredibly lazy hire. Even if that was correct, he's a good coach. Now I hope he can raise the talent level.
I thought I saw a tweet where all three of our signees have been nominated for McDonald's All-American honors.

The recruit from Buffalo, Siobhan Ryan (pictured above), will certainly be named one of the top 2-3 players in WNY at the end of the season. The probable WNY POY is going to Canisius; she has family ties there and the fact that she's only 5-7 or 5-8 and comes from a very small high school (Franklinville) so that may have scared off some of the elite programs.

Reactions: Dudeness
Ladies not off to a good start this morning...down 33-17 at the end of the first quarter. Dayton is 7-for-9 from three.

Flyers drop 57 on the Spiders in the first half and lead by 18.

Dayton cooled off a bit from outside but is still a crazy 11-for-17 from three.

Spiders aren't playing terribly on offense, with Klimkiewicz, Hinds-Clarke, and Carpenter all playing pretty well. Holt needs to get going. And they need to figure out how to stop Dayton, but there's a reason the Flyers went 15-1 in the A-10.

Reactions: plydogg
Spiders held their own in the third and trail by 15...had it down to 11 at one point. They've forced some fast break shots I'm sure they'd love to have back.

Hinds-Clarke picked up a terrible 4th foul late in the quarter just after coming back in following an extended sit to protect her. Ref could have let it go, but can't put yourself in that position.

Incredibly, Dayton is scoreless in the first 6:12 of the fourth quarter, but the Spiders haven't been able to take much advantage. Still down by 11.

Hinds-Clarke fouled out with 20 points, and her interior presence will be missed if things get tighter.

Dayton had a player go down with a knee injury and had to be carried off the court. Certainly didn't look good and may have rattled the Flyers, but they were already struggling before that.

Spiders fall, 79-68. Got it down to 8 a couple times, but couldn't break through.

Actually ended up shooting better than Dayton for the game, but Dayton's 13 threes, 16-11 edge at the line, and +14 rebound margin were too much.

I thought I saw a tweet where all three of our signees have been nominated for McDonald's All-American honors.

The recruit from Buffalo, Siobhan Ryan (pictured above), will certainly be named one of the top 2-3 players in WNY at the end of the season. The probable WNY POY is going to Canisius; she has family ties there and the fact that she's only 5-7 or 5-8 and comes from a very small high school (Franklinville) so that may have scared off some of the elite programs.
I wouldn't read too much into that McDonald's all american nominees - I know from the men side just about everyone who is anyone get nominated. Its actually being selected for the game that matters or being ranked top 100 that is impressive from a recruiting standpoint.

Overall - girls finished 15-17 overall, so definetley improvement from last years 9 wins. Thing I like about Roussell this year was that it looked like he was planning for the future. As the season went on - he seemed to rely more on the underclassmen girls. I think they should be poised for good seasons the next 2 years with their current roster make-up.

Three out of our four signees were nominated, but yes, there were about 550 nominees in the class of 2020.

Chapman was nominated last year. Don't think anybody was in the class before that. So things seem to be trending in the right direction, but the McDonald's nominee bucket is fairly large.

Reactions: nathanw19
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT