ADVERTISEMENT

Aaron Roussell named WBBall Head Coach

My immediate reaction was not a lot of creativity, but this dude has a pretty impressive track record of success.

Hardt is a one trick pony. Couldn’t close on Stephanie Gaitley. Closing skills r like Mooney. We want him nowhere near a men’s bball hire. I hope Roussell does well here and I support him but still can’t help but laugh at Hardt.

GK give him time, his record is very good. Time will tell. Don't count it against him just because he is from Bucknell - it only means they know each other very well.

Reactions: nathanw19
GK give him time, his record is very good. Time will tell. Don't count it against him just because he is from Bucknell - it only means they know each other very well.

It was a shot at one trick pony Hardt not Roussell. Coincidentally Roussell was hired at Bucknell over Ginny Doyle.

The guy has won 72 percent of his games, won 78 percent of his games over the past four years, has won at least 22 games the past four seasons, has won 89 percent of his conference games over the past four years, has advanced to postseason four years in a row, built a 29-game home winning streak, won 80 percent of his home games, was the league's Coach of the Year twice and went 28-6 last season and some of you are complaining?

Good lord. Geno wasn't coming to UR. This sounds like a great hire.

The dude can coach and is a big upgrade from Shafer. It would be interesting to know if Hardt actually interviewed anyone else or just grabbed him right away. This does little to change the notion that Hardt is sort of on cruise control, though. He got the job because he was friends with Queally, and now he's hiring someone he already hired before.

BTW, I heard new team colors next year: Orange and blue.

Know about it & she got a very nice settlement from SJU and was hired by 3 schools as head coach since. There was interest by UR. I’ve probably now given the mistaken impression I care about womens hoops but good luck anyway to Roussell.

You don’t get it.She wasn’t coming back to UR.Wasnt even under consideration.Do your homework.Your attempt to bang on Hardt is misplaced for this one.Gaitley got nothing from SJU except she was put on paid leave for the remaining of the season.She landed at LIU next season and then onto Monmouth.Hefty price to pay.

Last edited:
The dude can coach and is a big upgrade from Shafer. It would be interesting to know if Hardt actually interviewed anyone else or just grabbed him right away. This does little to change the notion that Hardt is sort of on cruise control, though. He got the job because he was friends with Queally, and now he's hiring someone he already hired before.

BTW, I heard new team colors next year: Orange and blue.
Orange is NOT one of our school colors!

Reactions: urfan1
Way to go out and do a national search. Did he even make any calls other than looking at the first card in his Rolodex? I say Rolodex because Hardt probably doesn't own a smart phone.

I know this isn't one if the big 3 or 4 sports, but this is the flagship women's program on campus. It shows he doesn't think big or outside the box. What does this mean for Mooney? It means he'll serve out his contract unless he does something that violates code of conduct. I'm afraid this shows that he's asleep at the switch.

Way to go out and do a national search. Did he even make any calls other than looking at the first card in his Rolodex? I say Rolodex because Hardt probably doesn't own a smart phone.

I know this isn't one if the big 3 or 4 sports, but this is the flagship women's program on campus. It shows he doesn't think big or outside the box. What does this mean for Mooney? It means he'll serve out his contract unless he does something that violates code of conduct. I'm afraid this shows that he's asleep at the switch.
It surely has that feel to it. However, I would urge people not to jump to judgment.

Roussell has led Bucknell to 6 consecutive winning seasons, 4 straight over 22 wins, and has twice been the coach of the year in the Patriot League. That’s a pretty solid resume.

The hire definitely has the appearance of a lack of creativity, however, that doesn’t mean it’s the wrong hire. It looks to me like the guy knows how to coach.

I don’t totally agree with that, did you read this guy’s resume? It’s pretty solid.

I do think it’s a bit parochial but I’m not going to complain about a guy who has a very good track record of winning. If he comes here and can’t get the job done, then I think it’s reasonable to question why there wasn’t more exploration done. For now, I’ll presume he can get things going.

Detail from RTD

Hey you have to help out your friends, right?

https://www.richmond.com/sports/col...cle_099495e2-5479-59c9-9b01-d88055f5ae08.html

Roussell has been named Spiders’ women’s basketball coach after seven years at Bucknell (151-72), where Hardt was AD for 18 years prior to starting at UR on Jan. 1, 2018. Roussell (ruh-SELL) also was the coach at the University of Chicago, a Division III school, for eight years. He is a graduate of Iowa (Class of 2001), as is Hardt.

If you look at his record, it indicates he is very qualified to lead this program. Was in the NCAAs (2) or WNIT (2) the last 4 years. Barely lost to Florida St in the 1st round this year (70-67). Shafer came from a big program, how did that work out?

Great to see Hardt fire an underperforming coach and hire a successful one from Bucknell. Its a good model.
I like your thinking 2K, but I don't feel like Hardt fired Shaefer. He let the contract run out. A worker on a specific contract would really need to show that his/her service is at least satisfactorily meeting the requirement in order to earn a new contract. So basically big hat did nothing there. By this measure, Mooney will coach out his contract no matter the results, and then he will evaluate.

Seems like a really solid hire. When you read the press release from what he has done at Bucknell, you can't help but be impressed and also sad at the same time, when you compare his results to what we have had to deal with in both our men's and women's programs.

I’m not sure what all the fuss is about. I’ll take a coach that won over 3/4 of their games at even more academically challenging schools.

You don’t get it.She wasn’t coming back to UR.Wasnt even under consideration.Do your homework.Your attempt to bang on Hardt is misplaced for this one.Gaitley got nothing from SJU except she was put on paid leave for the remaining of the season.She landed at LIU next season and then onto Monmouth.Hefty price to pay.

"Lunardi, without citing specifics, said a financial settlement appears likely between the university and Gaitley. Lunardi said Gaitley's lawyers and university attorneys have been in discussion."

https://www.trentonian.com/sports/p...cle_6fce8d52-aa23-5f76-89d5-634067b92a86.html

She fought it, that's well known and definitely received a settlement. With your love of cut & paste links maybe this one will give you an inkling since you drudged up the gaitley history. Our savior Joe Lunardi knows! Joe was probably part of one trick pony Hardt's national search committee.

Gaitley turned around 5 programs. I'm a little surprised we didn't hire a woman, the last two here were very successful, and the last 2 men were not.

That all said Roussell looks to have legit chops.

I like your thinking 2K, but I don't feel like Hardt fired Shaefer. He let the contract run out. A worker on a specific contract would really need to show that his/her service is at least satisfactorily meeting the requirement in order to earn a new contract. So basically big hat did nothing there. By this measure, Mooney will coach out his contract no matter the results, and then he will evaluate.

Big hat no cattle wasted a whole year. He may have hit a HR here, or maybe a strikeout, but we do know the rebuild is 1 year behind.

Great to see Hardt fire an underperforming coach and hire a successful one from Bucknell. Its a good model.

This hire actually makes Nathan Davis odds next year go way down.

Why do you say that? To me, it says Nathan Davis is now a front runner.

UR won't take Hardt, then womens coach, and then mens coach from Bucknell athletics 3 successive years. More of a protocol and respect thing for Bucknell. Plus Hardt, in his desire to not look like the one trick pony he is, could feel like that well is dried up. With Hardt, Crutcher & PQ I expect it's all a moot point anyway.

I think Roussell (or Russell or Rousey...keep the theme, right?) looks good on paper after digging into it a little bit more. Patriot League women's hoop conference is about the same as the A10 in terms of RPI. It will be interesting if the current group sticks around, but he does have results. It does look like Hardt played it safe on the surface, and that's what I reacted to earlier.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT