ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal Season

"demand" is a strong word. it's a negotiation. Kansas doesn't have to pay it.
I can "demand" my company pay me $1 million too. I'm sure that would get an interesting response.
4ever might be right, but most companies would demand an immediate exit for all but a very few.

Reactions: spiderman
Here's ESPN's rankings of the top 100 players in the portal.

Thiero - #28
Brickus - #83
Kaiser, Jr. - #86
Dean - #99

Honroable Mentions: Burns, Slajchert, Beagle, Foster, Leffew.

Mississippi State's Shakeel Moore...played one year at NC State and three at MSU.

Reactions: urfan1
Bronny and Thiero to Duq. Book it.
Surprising amount of smoke on Twitter now about Bronny to Duq. I can't ascertain if this is at all legit or just Duq. fans hoping the high school connection to his dad bears out.

This is a completely different brief list than was initially associated with Brickus. Don't know if this means we're out on him.

Miles should have two years left, as he also had a medical redshirt in there. 2020–21 COVID freebie, 2021–22 1st year, 2022–23 medical redshirt (played 6 games), 2023–24 2nd year.

Doesn't look like either of them has hit the portal though.

I'd assume Miles would have to use this year as his Covid year because it's the last to do so, then apply for a 6th year as a medical redshirt year. Is that correct?

We had great success with Bigelow as a guy who did this and played 6 years, so I'm all in for these "old" guys that Calipari speaks of.

EDIT - he's not in the portal so not sure why I'm stuck on him as a possibility, except that I like his scoring numbers.

Surprising amount of smoke on Twitter now about Bronny to Duq. I can't ascertain if this is at all legit or just Duq. fans hoping the high school connection to his dad bears out.
I have seen some of that too. Knowing LeBron (not personally :) ) - even with the connection with his friend - I don't see it happening. I could see Ohio State or Duke much more possible. As lowly as his numbers were this year, I believe Bronny is a legit talent. If not for the major health issue, he probably would have put up some big numbers this season. I was 99% sure he would put himself in the draft - but it does seem LeBron has backed down on that. If he had LeBron would have forced Lakers or whoever to take him for sure. Musselman has track record of developing NBA talent, even back to Nevada - so have seen some rumors that was involved in that hire - but who knows. The portal is just crazy this year.

Yeah, local kid out of Charlottesville/STAB. We were on him early and he a bunch of high-academic offers. Focused in on Stanford and Vandy at the end.

Yeah, local kid out of Charlottesville/STAB. We were on him early and he a bunch of high-academic offers. Focused in on Stanford and Vandy at the end.

From his choice of Vandy he had this quote

What type of player is Vanderbilt getting in Carter Lang?

“I’m a very physical player and pride myself on being one of the top rebounders in the country,” he says.

That thread also mentions he was an AAU teammate of Smith’s, which I’m assuming was Trevor. We also seemed to be out of the running for a long while back then.

Lol: He averaged 4 points per game last year and he wants to explore the NBA draft. Only reason he is able an this is news is because of his pops.
Yep at this point he definitely would be drafted due to this connection.
I am curious as to what procedure he had on his heart. Recall, he almost died on the court in the pre season. Seems it may have been an ablation type of procedure, which is what Grant Golden had. My kids played with another kid who needed this procedure. I was coaching summer league, and his dad said he would be back in two weeks and he was to my shock.
Bronny is definitely a talent, I do think the heart procedure and come back impacted his game this year. Seems like a good kid, loves the game, high ceiling. Hoping he goes back to college for at least one more year. Feel like LeBron is rushing this, even if he had been healthy and able to play at a higher level.

Reactions: VT4700
Fire Odom! Extend Mooney!
Ha, yes an indictment on Odom LOL. So Odom took a chance on a former 4 star local kid. Didn't work out, now that he has a full offseason to work the portal, he moved him out to make space. Sounds like a prudent move from the coach that got to the championship game in the A10, on the heels of going to the NCAA the year before.

Reactions: GKiller
In other news, announced that G-League Ignite now finds it necessary to move down to offering middle school standouts ~ 500K contracts to compete with colleges.
They're actually folding the Ignite because there's no point to it now. They were 2–32 this season.

If Nelson doesn't hit the portal too, I'll be surprised.

Yeah we'll see, would definitely not be a surprising result. Shulga and Jackson likely to return. Shulga declared for draft, but keeping eligibility and nothing about entering portal. So pro or return. I don't see him drafted, normally he'd be a good overseas candidate, but with NIL more likely imo he foregoes that for 1 more year. Unlike our last 2 5th year seniors VCU could be getting both of theirs back. Plus Nelson PT trended down at VCU like it did at UR and I'm sure Odom will bring in aother guard over him too. But I think JayNel always wanted vcu over UR, he might be loving it there.

Ha, yes an indictment on Odom LOL. So Odom took a chance on a former 4 star local kid. Didn't work out, now that he has a full offseason to work the portal, he moved him out to make space. Sounds like a prudent move from the coach that got to the championship game in the A10, on the heels of going to the NCAA the year before.
He had a full offseason to work the portal last year. He was named VCU coach before the final four.

Last edited:
Now seeing Woj tweeting about the possibility. On the flip side if LeBron already has his NBA deal done could just be doing his friend a solid keeping DUQ in the news cycle for a few weeks.

My source says that we are in fairly heavy on Kaiser, and what he is looking for would seem to be a great fit for what we can offer. A few big programs are involved, but we'll see.
Missed this. Good stuff EL. Big time talent, did not put up huge numbers as a freshman but that is expected going from hs to p6 conference. Like Tyne got a lot of minutes and would expect a big jump in production year 2. Had 4 steals in one game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT