ADVERTISEMENT

Dusan Neskovic - Dartmouth Transfer - Commit

big time Giping! I was worried about how difficult it would be for us to replace a guy like Bigs but Neskovic seems to fill that void extremely well by the looks of it.
I think Beagle/Walz will have to pick up some rebounding slack, but offensively Neskovic should be a home run.
we don't know what we don't know regarding the other starting forward spot, but I really think we might have the answer internally already between Tanner, McGlothin and Robinson.

I think Beagle/Walz will have to pick up some rebounding slack, but offensively Neskovic should be a home run.
we don't know what we don't know regarding the other starting forward spot, but I really think we might have the answer internally already between Tanner, McGlothin and Robinson.
No offense, but I am not counting on freshman to step into a starter's role. When was the last time a freshman came in, started, and performed at a high enough level to justify them starting. It was probably Gilly, who is the NBA right now. I don't know when the last freshman wing player has done so.

Reactions: PASpider
fair, it's unusual for a freshman. Sherod comes to mind. Burton got time.
very common for a sophomore. if Tanner is what I thought he was, then he should be ready.

Reactions: urfan1
No offense, but I am not counting on freshman to step into a starter's role. When was the last time a freshman came in, started, and performed at a high enough level to justify them starting. It was probably Gilly, who is the NBA right now. I don't know when the last freshman wing player has done so.
You don’t have to, I guess you don’t remember two freshmen named Johnny Newman or Michael Perry, They were special freshmen!!

Indeed, but that was 40 years ago, which basically proves 97's point. We can't really rely on any freshmen to come in and give us key starter minutes and stats. Gotta pull a couple more good pieces from the portal.

You don’t have to, I guess you don’t remember two freshmen named Johnny Newman or Michael Perry, They were special freshmen!!
I forgot, Newman played in the NBA over 17 years.
Indeed, but that was 40 years ago, which basically proves 97's point. We can't really rely on any freshmen to come in and give us key starter minutes and stats. Gotta pull a couple more good pieces from the portal.
true, but you can’t count them out either. That is your opinion not based on facts!

While I agree we want to land another guard/wing type in the portal, if and when our freshman are good enough, they get good minutes and play. Buck averaged 29.8 mpg as a freshman, started 23 games, averaged 10.5 a game and won A-10 freshman of the year. Nick averaged 21.5 mpg as a freshman, started 16 games, and scored in double figures 13 times. And, Tyler still got over 14 minutes a game with all the returning guys in front of him.

If we have to pull guys from the 1980's as example of notable freshman wing players, I think we have enough data to say that we shouldn't count on freshman to make a notable impact this coming year.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
exactly. and for guys who came here as freshmen, if you aren't getting starter type minutes as a sophomore, you might never. so it's Tanner's time.
If not starters minutes, at least good rotation minutes. Losing 4 starters like we did, if Tanner is good enough, he should at least be part of the rotation getting good minutes this year.

If we have to pull guys from the 1980's as example of notable freshman wing players, I think we have enough data to say that we shouldn't count on freshman to make a notable impact this coming year.
how many really good wing players have we had in the past 10 years or so that came here as freshmen and didn't play early?

how many really good wing players have we had in the past 10 years or so that came here as freshmen and didn't play early?
Exactly...if you are good enough to get time, you will play. And, funny this got narrowed down to "wing" to prove the point.

Great pick-up. Really like our front court now with Neskovic, Beagle, and Walz. Way to reload with great talent up front.

Probably our biggest need now is a 3. Another shooting guard would be great as well.

Neskovic might play the 3. Positionless basketball!

Definitely think Dusan (yes I am on a first name basis) can play some wing. He has the skill level. Especially if Soulis is healthy and can contribute.

From the collegian article, it does sound like Mooney wants to try some Walz/Beagle combo together. As I have pointed out previously - we have had a lot of success with a PF that was not a threat from outside of 10 feet, b/c we have the skilled center in the high post able to feed the adept post up player (Cayo). If that Walz/Soulis/Beagle can provide that dynamic it really forces the defense to contract in the paint and leaves someone with a wide open 3.

Reactions: Eight Legger
exactly. and for guys who came here as freshmen, if you aren't getting starter type minutes as a sophomore, you might never. so it's Tanner's time.
I was surprised how little time he got last season, since he is the next Dominque Wilkins…

I was surprised how little time he got last season, since he is the next Dominque Wilkins…
that's the new world of the portal.
guys who would have gotten early time to develop in the past get buried behind older transfers every year.

I doubt our "greatest class" would have gotten much freshman time in the current environment.

Exactly...if you are good enough to get time, you will play. And, funny this got narrowed down to "wing" to prove the point.
It was always wing players from the initial post. We have had guards come in and start right away (I gave Gilly as an example). Kevin Anderson, Kendall Anthony are others. I will give you Buck/ Sherod as example. I'm not sure I would classify them as wings, but Buck did play all over the court. Sherod was more of a shooting guard when he came here and evolved more into a wing but I think "evolved" into a hybrid player after all of his knee injuries.

One thing to keep in mind RE: the transfer recruit vs. HS recruit debate - it's important to remember that this is the last offseason where guys who have a COVID 5th year are going to be eligible in the portal. This means that the available players in the portal will decrease substaintially next year and beyond. Estimates like the below have the number of players in the portal shrinking by around 20% next year.

While the portal is certainly going to still be very impactful, I think we'll see a refocus on high school talent starting next offseason.

in the transfers section of verbalcommits.com, sort by previous school. then scroll. the number of kids in the portal from some schools is staggering. I'm sure sometimes it's due to a coaching change, but still.

I joked about Skogman (from Davidson) going to Depaul. they have 10 incoming transfers and 2 incoming freshmen. one more spot to fill. nobody on that team knows how to find the men's room yet.

tomorrow is May 1 and I think Canisius has 2 players on their roster ... one kid back and one incoming freshmen.

Offer them a buy game for $30k...
200.webp

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT