ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal Season

GW makes a graphic to announce that Darren Buchanan Jr. will be returning for his sophomore year. This is hilarious to me. The portal is so out of control that you have to make a fancy graphic just to say you AREN'T entering it.

• Sad
Reactions: gospidersgo
that's a big keep for GW. no sure thing when a freshman has a big year on a team that loses a lot of games to end the year. GW has some good young talent if they all stay.

surprised Cohen is leaving. 4 years at SFU (one redshirt), transfers up for 1 year at UMass and does great. I guess looking for bigger NIL money or a higher conference? UMass was pretty good this year.

Forgot this guy was still floating around.

Edit: MD, I am convinced you have hacked my devices and are watching everything I do.

yeah grad transfers were always immediately eligible but based on what I heard from the transfer committee folks everybody should be immediately eligible this upcoming season ?
Yes, I linked an article about the recent NCAA memo confirming it a few posts up.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Justin Wright was in the portal last year, and he's back after one year at LMU. We were heavily recruiting him and had an in-home visit last summer. I believe SpiderDad is a big fan of him.

Reactions: gospidersgo
Bona already had a bunch of open spots for next year, and now Luc, Evans, and Martinez are headed out the door.

Brown, Weston, Dubsky, Stewart all leaving URI.

Despite our obvious success with it, I am not a fan of this instant/constant transferring. But I am REALLY not a fan of it before the first NCAA/NIT game has even tipped off. I don't think the portal should open until all the games are played.

I am not a fan either but there's no stopping it now. The cat is out of the proverbial bag, have to just get used to it.

The other thing with the portal is the timing of when it opens. It really should wait until the NCAA tourney is over. Cause you know there will be a handful of players who have a great tourney (or are not playing enough minutes but their team is playing) and they will enter the portal when their season is over. So right now - your really just picking from teams whose season is over. But there is still likely to be some very good players to enter the portal in the next few weeks.

Reactions: PalmTreeSpidUR
Semi-serious/semi-joking question: at this point in the evolution of the NIL mess, as a player do you throw your name out there and then just start getting $ amount offers sent your way? I know there's more to it than that, but it just seems like a bidding war type of situation for anybody that wants to throw their hat in the ring. And I'm sure that there are many guys who have given no indication of entering the portal who are even hearing offers thrown their way. I love that they players are allowed to monetize their talent but I hate what it's become and what it's doing to my favorite sport.

Reactions: mojo-spider
Semi-serious/semi-joking question: at this point in the evolution of the NIL mess, as a player do you throw your name out there and then just start getting $ amount offers sent your way? I know there's more to it than that, but it just seems like a bidding war type of situation for anybody that wants to throw their hat in the ring. And I'm sure that there are many guys who have given no indication of entering the portal who are even hearing offers thrown their way. I love that they players are allowed to monetize their talent but I hate what it's become and what it's doing to my favorite sport.
If I'm a 20 year old college student who can play ball, you best believe I want to see what I am worth by entering the portal. This NIL money is big money when you are 20 (and for top players, it is big money period) and I think the siren song of quick cash would be difficult to ignore.

However, I would also think that these guys who go portaling multiple times are missing out of the depth and quality of relationship you make in college and with your coaching staff. How can you progress through a college education and get a quality degree when you are playing at 3-4 different school? How do associate yourself as an alumni if you were never anywhere for more than a year or two?

It is a mess, everyone knows it is a mess, at some point, it will be addressed in some type of equitable way so college athletes can get some type of compensation without having to prostrate themselves in this bidding war of the portal every year. But that time is not right now. Just an unregulated clown show right now.

If I'm a 20 year old college student who can play ball, you best believe I want to see what I am worth by entering the portal. This NIL money is big money when you are 20 (and for top players, it is big money period) and I think the siren song of quick cash would be difficult to ignore.

However, I would also think that these guys who go portaling multiple times are missing out of the depth and quality of relationship you make in college and with your coaching staff. How can you progress through a college education and get a quality degree when you are playing at 3-4 different school? How do associate yourself as an alumni if you were never anywhere for more than a year or two?

It is a mess, everyone knows it is a mess, at some point, it will be addressed in some type of equitable way so college athletes can get some type of compensation without having to prostrate themselves in this bidding war of the portal every year. But that time is not right now. Just an unregulated clown show right now.
Clownshow-Ed.jpg

You rang?

The portal officially opens to all players tomorrow, and it's time to bring back my transfer tracker for the 2024 offseason. Here's where we stand - this list will grow substaintially over the next two months or so.

Last year, I tracked over 70 names - let's see how many we get to this year. Happy portal eve to all!

Transfer-Portal-Tracker-3-17.png
Over and Under for your Spiders portal tracking xls is 123 this year.

Reactions: MDspider8
You can - but also remember, if you put your name in the portal, your current team is probably planning to replace you. So they might give your scholarship to someone else. So if you don't get an offer you like - you might not have a place to fall back on. This is a dark side of the portal not everyone realizes. For every player that moves up and plays well or moves down and gets more playing time, there are likely the same amount of kids who end up with nowhere to play towards the end of the portal, and either settles somewhere, goes down to D2, or ends up not playing anymore. With the hundreds of kids that end up in the portal each year - not everyone can land somewhere.

I heard from a somewhat local college coach (D1) that if your a big man with just an average set of skills at any level in D1 - your getting at least 50K, and usually 100K through the portal - no questions asked. Just someone who can rebound, play some defense and take up space, and maybe get your 8-10 points. 50-100K.

Reactions: urfan1
Pepperdine's Houston Mallette has already committed to Alabama, so we'll see how quickly some of the better guys make their decisions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT