ADVERTISEMENT

Duncan Powell - 2021 Offer

Had not seen that...am on my phone so I didn’t do much research on him.

Committed to Arkansas back in September shortly after they offered, and decommitted in April. Said at the time that Arkansas would still be in the mix though.

Reactions: plydogg
My sense (after some chats with some AAU folk - - - and its just a sense, I dont have hard facts) is this one is a little bit of the ugly side of college basketball. Arkansas may have withdrawn the offer (or I am sure said he misunderstood) and said they were still considering him but not yet offering. This happens sometimes but its a nasty place. This one is plenty early so the player wont be too badly off so at least that's good.

Reactions: urfan1 and plydogg
I get that maybe they pulled the offer, but hard to sell it as a miscommunication so many months after he committed.

To be clear I doubt it was a miscommunication. Just that when teams pull offers, they don't want to say they just pulled it cause they found someone better so they will have some story that puts them in some sort of better light etc. But teams pull offers ALL the time. But not often once their is a commitment. Pulling one then almost always will have some damage control being done.

To be clear I doubt it was a miscommunication. Just that when teams pull offers, they don't want to say they just pulled it cause they found someone better so they will have some story that puts them in some sort of better light etc. But teams pull offers ALL the time. But not often once their is a commitment. Pulling one then almost always will have some damage control being done.
I suspect you can’t (easily) pull an offer once a recruit has signed his LOI, I believe that’s essentially an agreement that the school is offering the scholarship and the student athlete is accepting it. Since most scholarships are one year, they may come in and say they aren’t going to honor it after this year, essentially forcing the recruit to extract.

Missed that he announced a top 10 the day after our offer, although he also said he's still open.

UR, DePaul, ODU, Tulsa, New Mexico, UTSA, Hampton, Prairie View, Southern, and NC A&T.

I suspect you can’t (easily) pull an offer once a recruit has signed his LOI, I believe that’s essentially an agreement that the school is offering the scholarship and the student athlete is accepting it. Since most scholarships are one year, they may come in and say they aren’t going to honor it after this year, essentially forcing the recruit to extract.
That's correct. Its almost impossible to pull an offer after an LOI and in most cases (historically) the player would have to sit out a year as a transfer if the LOI was signed. That easier to navigate these days with waivers etc. The period that s very tough is after kids commit, but LOI's aren't even available yet. Kid counts on the offer and maybe cuts off other teams and then team gets another kid they like better that fills the same spot in the class and in effect pulls the offer despite the commitment. A commitment in college sports is totally non-binding both ways. It really means nothing . But when they get pulled, it will almost always be explained away differently (recruit has decided to reopen his recruiting is a typical way it might read). But trust me, its an ugly business. But it cuts both ways. Plenty of kids commit and then get better offers and de-commit.

Reactions: plydogg and urfan1
That's correct. Its almost impossible to pull an offer after an LOI and in most cases (historically) the player would have to sit out a year as a transfer if the LOI was signed. That easier to navigate these days with waivers etc. The period that s very tough is after kids commit, but LOI's aren't even available yet. Kid counts on the offer and maybe cuts off other teams and then team gets another kid they like better that fills the same spot in the class and in effect pulls the offer despite the commitment. A commitment in college sports is totally non-binding both ways. It really means nothing . But when they get pulled, it will almost always be explained away differently (recruit has decided to reopen his recruiting is a typical way it might read). But trust me, its an ugly business. But it cuts both ways. Plenty of kids commit and then get better offers and de-commit.
Years ago Dick Tarrant got in trouble with the NCAA and the UR Admin. They offered a kid a scholarship but never provided an LOI. Tarrant said later that he realized the kid wouldn’t play for us, but being new to the head coaching position he didn’t realize the ramifications of pulling the offer and not communicating it with the kid.

Didn't seem like a great fit from the moment I started researching him, but didn't really want to say anything...looks like we're not going anywhere with him anyway now. Curious why we offered.

Hmm, maybe this was the LSU offer?
giphy.gif

Still not feeling this one. Only PF we are still listed with on verbal commits.

Larson and Mutombo are listed as centers. Larson - Really strong IVY league trend we are fighting with him, have not seen us mentioned recently at all - though we were also in on him early and I believe he did take an in person visit prior to covid maybe? Mutombo, I'm still thinking Georgetown most likely.

Seems are list has dwindled almost to the point of drying up for anyone with size.

Right now, I think best bet is to work the transfer wire hard in this regard - looking for a current frosh or soph that decides they need a change of scenery.

Agreed..seems to be little sign we're involved with him at this point.

Apparently going to announce his top 5 on October 6, or least that's what I gathered from this video.

Doubt we are in on this kid, but on the off chance we are, I'd run away now. Everything I see here and hear elsewhere is that this one is pretty much like AWIII (minus the hometown connection) for those that remember that saga. I will already predict (with great confidence) that he wont play 4 years wherever he signs. If he doesn't play right away, he transfers (sorta equivalent school). If he plays right away, he transfers (better program to help his pro chances). If he somehow tears it up at a high level, he's headed pro immediately.

As an aside, I don't think we need a big as badly as others in 2021. Would be nice, but not absolute. Burton can and will occupy that 4 spot in the short term if needed. Plenty big enough for our level to be a 4. Thomas and Noyes may also be ok at our level in that spot too if we cam land one. We don't have to have a traditional PF type. In fact we rarely have had one (Harp being the notable exception. Transfer market is fine too. Last thing i want to do is drop down in quality to take someone just because "we need a big"

our 4 doesn't have to be a traditional 4 at all but we still need someone with frontcourt size in this class. we graduate Golden and Cayo. Noyes will not play the 4 even in position-less basketball. he'll get stronger but he'll never have that bulk. he's listed at 6'6" - 176. Francis is listed at 175!

I'd love Noyes with Dread at the 2 & 3 in this class. but we'd still need someone 6'6"+ and 195+. plenty of time, but it's getting late early.

We don't have to have a traditional PF type. In fact we rarely have had one (Harp being the notable exception.
Making my point here. Last time (NINE YEARS AGO) we made the tournament we had a legit PF type. Winner winner chicken dinner. I agree that we can be good on offense with a smaller than p6 type of PF, but on defense this is where it separates the Mid major wannabes from the deep run potential types. Weir and Ian frontcourt has us pumped to be able to compete with anyone, and not just schedule a Kentucky every 8 years.

Gonzaga goes after big boys. Heck good example is my no.2 team - SDSU last year. Top 5 team all year but confidence was down for a big run in the tourney? Why, becasue they lost their center, shifiting their 6'10 PF to center, and inserting a 6'6 player at PF. They continued to rip through the MW, but they would not have pounded Iowa, Creighton, etc without the legit front court size.

Losing the battle for Ian is the kind of loss that leaves a hole in the roster. I agree we can be good with Burton at PF - very good possibly, but to be deep run good we are better with him at a wing, and then sliding over to PF in certain match ups.

And Philly agree on Powell, he is going to be on the waiver wire as soon as the first thing goes wrong. If he is offered 130,000 (that would have to be this new G league team they are trying to fill out I would think), he should probably take it.

at 6'7" 195, Tyler's absolutely big enough to play 4. he's the perfect 4 for us offensively with his athleticism and ability to stretch the floor assuming his shooting percentage from outside improves. and I have no doubt he can be a plus defender at the 4. there aren't many Kevin McHale's out there.

I wanted Ian too ... and Hicks ... and every other highly rated player that we offer. but the sky's not falling.

Well, if Tyler plays the 4, say goodbye to his NBA chances. And no I don't think that is a crazy goal for him. Mooney has repeatedly been quoted as saying he could be the greatest player in the history of our program. Last I checked, we don't have a ton of NBA players, but Blair had a cup of coffee, Harper hung around a couple years, and Newman had a great career. So that should be his goal. He looks pretty solid at 195, may be able to add a little weight - but his and our teams best situation to be great (not good) is for him to be a full time wing, and part time interior player, in my opinion.

And no the sky's not falling, but this is the pattern we have seen too often with our recruiting. I am still hopefull for this class. But have a feeling our best opportunity for another big is in a transfer. And again, look at the interior depth of our last NCAA team - JR Duinker and JR Garrett coming off the bench.

he can be the 4 for us, still playing mostly on the perimeter, and if he's talented and athletic and good enough he can play the 3 or even the 2 professionally if his shot (which looks fine) improves. whether he's playing next to a guy like Ian or next to a guy like Crabtree won't hold him back if he's good enough.

Reactions: nathanw19
Interestingly, it seems there is more and more activity D3 to D1, and D1 to D3 as well.

Kid at Wesleyan, right near myself went from D3 to Illinois.

Duncan did grow a few inches from senior year HS to end of 1st year in college, but still a great story.

Sman, I was laughing to myself, thinking how on your side of the argument you could point to the NBA Eastern Conference finals. One side you have two tallest starters 6'9 and 6'8, and the other team 6'9 and 6'7 I believe.

I am also a proponent for talent over size, but would still love to have some talented 6'8 or taller guys in this recruiting class.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT