ADVERTISEMENT

William and Mary Game thread - Saturday 6pm Robins Center / ESPN+

Section9.RowD

Team Manager
Gold Member
Nov 19, 2021
Even with a frustrating Wich State 2nd half, still think this team is going to end up quite a bit better than last year's team and this game will be a good example compared to what happened last year in Williamsburg. Plus as others have commented, Will & Mary is really struggling. Spiders 80-55.

Reactions: gcarter52
In this pre-game presser video, JOC asks Mooney if he plans to stick with Dji in the starting lineup over Noyes like he did to start the second half of the last game. Mooney responds with "We'll have to see tomorrow night John." I'm interpreting that as there's a good chance that Dji is going to start over Noyes tomorrow.

Why are we playing this team? Why?
Hold on KE they are Div 1, our natural rival in some sports and they have beaten our butt several times over the years
when we were a superior team on paper. Your statement is perfect bulletin board fodder. Don’t take any team lightly, please.

Reactions: plydogg
Point is Spiders have ZERO to gain from a win so why play the game and risk last year's result again?

Schedule smart. This ain't smart. Nothing to gain. Everything to lose.

Reactions: spider23
Because they were slam dunk wins and WM, should be, but ain't necessarily...see last year.

Should not play them until they upgrade their program, the exact same reason Virginia will not play us, but will play VCU. Wins mean zero, losses are catastrophic.

In this pre-game presser video, JOC asks Mooney if he plans to stick with Dji in the starting lineup over Noyes like he did to start the second half of the last game. Mooney responds with "We'll have to see tomorrow night John." I'm interpreting that as there's a good chance that Dji is going to start over Noyes tomorrow.

Why start Dji against W&M? I don’t see any reason to. We need Noyes to get on track and changing something against a depleted and overmatched team makes zero sense. Maybe I make a change in one or both of the upcoming road games, but against W&M at home - no way.

I agree w Carolina. No prob playing W&M. U will play games like that regardles. If the argument is u can't play 300+ net games at all that is not really an argument at all & not realistic for anyone. to me better against a local "rival" even if we don't consider a hoops rivalry. Better than playing FDU or Queens etc. Is the game a little harder bc of the school rivalry...yes but we should still win it and if u do win I think it helps having faced teams that were up for the game.

Can we debate playing at W&M? yes. But if we have any expectation to get H&H's against higher comp - and I still think we can get 1 of those every year or should - then u have to be willing to give 1 to a team below u IMO. W&M has been pretty strict they are not giving us a buy game. Could that change idk.

Also let's not act like W&M is trash. Some years yeah. This year yeah. But they had it rolling 2nd half of Shaver career there. It wasn't a bad game for metrics then. We r only 103-98 all time vs. W&M even if they got more from a different era. If the game was gone it's not a big deal either but I can see why we play this game. JMU series would be better (& harder) maybe that will replace it down the road.

I agree w Carolina. No prob playing W&M. U will play games like that regardles. If the argument is u can't play 300+ net games at all that is not really an argument at all & not realistic for anyone. to me better against a local "rival" even if we don't consider a hoops rivalry. Better than playing FDU or Queens etc. Is the game a little harder bc of the school rivalry...yes but we should still win it and if u do win I think it helps having faced teams that were up for the game.

Can we debate playing at W&M? yes. But if we have any expectation to get H&H's against higher comp - and I still think we can get 1 of those every year or should - then u have to be willing to give 1 to a team below u IMO. W&M has been pretty strict they are not giving us a buy game. Could that change idk.

Also let's not act like W&M is trash. Some years yeah. This year yeah. But they had it rolling 2nd half of Shaver career there. It wasn't a bad game for metrics then. We r only 103-98 all time vs. W&M even if they got more from a different era. If the game was gone it's not a big deal either but I can see why we play this game. JMU series would be better (& harder) maybe that will replace it down the road.
We’ve had a sports rivalry with W&M for
over 100 years . No I haven’t seen them all

Reactions: plydogg and urfan1
How is Roche starting over Dji?

Think if Hunt wasn’t hurt more likely. Probably wants at least 1 ball handler off bench. But Dji play was deserving to start & I think sometimes u do have to reward performance.

Fine with Roche starting today because this shouldn’t be a tough game. I do worry about the size, rebounding, defending, athleticism aspect if we were to continue starting him against better competition.

Although, maybe King can just make 10 threes every game, then we’ll have nothing to worry about :)

I actually like this idea. Let Roche get 6+ threes up and try to shoot out of his funk. Hopefully he can get into a groove against a team we should be able to get plenty of open shots against.
Looks like Mooney and I had the same idea!

Reactions: UR80sfan
Fun game to watch and very happy to see Roche breakout of his slump. We need him if we are going to reach are potential. Jordan King is absolutely amazing how well he is playing this year. Another great game for Baily 5-7, 12 points and 4 rebounds. Quinn continues his all-conference play on 5-7- shooting, 8 rebounds and lead the team in assist with 5.Finally Noyes had an off night shooting, but 8 rebounds.

While not sure how this season ends up, love watching this team and hope we continue to beat the teams easily that we are better than and start winning games against our equals.
Well we have another chance against a very mediocre Northern Iowa team - which just lost back to back games to mediocre Belmont and Evansville. Need to win this one and Florida to get the season back on track.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Congrats to team!

Love all Spider victories in any sport, but after the chest thumping consider it was like your high school team beating the local YMCA.

A game that should have never been played. A game that proves absolutely nothing as to where we are as a program. Feel good moment that means little in the grand scheme of program success.

Happy with victory, wary of any significant predictive insights it holds for the rest of season.

Agree KE. Will say I like that we got Roche going. Hopefully that can carry over to next two games, would be a huge boost.
I agree a win over W&M is nor predictive. I disagree that wins over VMI, Siena, and Queens, and possible wins over Buffalo and Lafayette are.

Another comfortable win against a team we should beat comfortably, so congrats to the guys for taking care of business tonight. A few quick thoughts from the game:

- I was pretty shocked to see Roche get the start. Big credit to Mooney for trying something different and giving him a chance to bust out of his slump and he responded well. Still would be great to see a more consistent Roche for us to take the next step but tonight worked.

- Jordan King is so fun to watch. He shoots a lot but it doesn't feel like he forces things or is a ball hog at all. Just a great feel for the game, when to drive, when to step back for 3, when to pass, how to get himself open, etc. Several of his makes tonight barely made the net move.

- I haven't looked at the numbers but we seemed to give up a ton of offensive boards tonight. It didn't hurt us too badly since we shot well and were playing a pretty bad team, but it is something that has to be fixed going forward.

- Solid games by Neal and Dji tonight too - they didn't force things, contributed in many facets of the game.

So all in all, I leave tonight feeling just like a have the last few weeks - we are currently a team who can crush inferior opponents but who hasn't figured out how to take the next step.

Watched the game on the replay, and like the idea to start Roche. He's a guy I think needs extended run and starting him allows him to settle into a game more than being the designated shooter off the bench. I really believe when he comes in off the bench teams are hyper aware of him hunting shots for that 4-5 minute stint and really focus on defending him. That said, he made the shots and that is the whole thing. Keep making em. But he has to make them on the road too. In 2 road games, is 1-10 from 3. In home games he's 10-20. Road competition has been better of course, but that has to be better.

Jordan King is freaking amazing. Let him cook. When he's hot, he is as good a scorer as any Spider I can remember the last 30 years. Run everything through him - I thought tonight was a perfect balance on offense of shot distribution. I know Quinn has had big games recently but I'm totally fine with not force feeding the post if we can get King clean looks from 3 all day and letting Quinn be the secondary option. And if Roche can step it up I really like what that lineup can give.

I do wonder if against bigger teams, if Dji's starting opportunity will come at the 2 guard alongside King, and Moon goes for King, Dji, Roche, Bigelow, Quinn. Dji being a good rebounder and adding size in that spot could be needed. I love Tyne already and his shot is coming around but he's pretty small to play alongside King. Dji has been terrific all year and usually makes an immediate impact upon entering. Love him as 6th man for that reason, so I'm fine if Mikkel keeps starting.

One stat of note: only 12 assists on 34 made FGs. Lot of individual shot creation (which is good if it's Dji driving for buckets and King burying shots after utilizing screens) but I still would have thought there would be more assists generated through the Moonball.

Reactions: plydogg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT