ADVERTISEMENT

Where to, Ododa?

are you guys forgetting that we run an offense? we don't do a lot of the pick and roll, isolation, feed the post stuff like the NBA with a traditional PG dominating the ball. we move the ball. everyone touches it. we run the offense and an opportunity presents itself. if not, we may feed the post and let TA or TJ operate. but having a traditional PG isn't important.
If the 15-16 team is not feeding the post properly AND running sets designed to set up Allen & Cline as the primary scoring options, they will not win many games.

As you know Spiderman, setting up scoring opportunities inside involves a lot more than just throwing the ball to a big man. Many casual fans do not understand the critical importance of positioning, matchups, timing, angle, and ball delivery.

Last edited:
true, but I saw plenty of that last year as part of the offense. we'd run though our usual rotation and if nothing opened earlier, we got to the point where TJ or TA or ANO was in position on the low block and we fed them. we continued the offense from there giving the post options to make his own move or kick.

I agree we'll likely have to get to that point in the offense more often now and maybe earlier without a K-0 out there to create for himself.

Not having K0 and the really good chance of having a 30 second shot clock next year means we will have to get into our offensive sets more quickly than we have in the past. To me, that means we need to look to get the ball to TA and TJC in good spots much earlier in the offense than we did last season. I expect to see a bit less of the CM "weave" next year, there just won't be time for it if we have 5 fewer seconds to shoot.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
Kee, I agree if we cut out the Curly/Meadowlark part of the offense we should have plenty of time.

I just watched a video of our highlights from the St. Francis Brooklyn game. I know it was against lower level competition, but Josh Jones stood out to me in the highlights. He shows he can catch the ball at speed and finish through contact. This is something some of our players have had trouble with, sometimes they would fumble the pass if things were moving to fast. Sometimes they would have trouble finishing at the rim after they get the ball down low.

Josh Jones seemed to be able to catch the ball and go straight to the bucket without the need to readjust his handle. He knows where the basket is after the ball touches his hands and is able to go up and finish. This is what TJ is really good at as well. I think Josh Jones could be a big part of our offense next year.

Greg Robbins was a player who didn't see the court much his first two years, then became a much bigger part of our offense his junior and senior years. Josh Jones could be a similar situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eight Legger
I agree about Josh. He developed very nicely last year once he started getting regular minutes after Alonzo got hurt. I think we need him to score 6-12 ppg this year and be able to make some FTs, because he does drive to the basket well and will be able to draw fouls.

Josh was a little tentative with his 3 point shots, we all know why (the hook). I am sure he will have more confidence in his ability and team status this year. He can jump too!!

Josh was great in the St. Francis game and I think came on at the end of the year. He was a one trick pony on offense for most of the year (3 point shooter and not that great of one) and appeared to be afraid to make a mistake most of the year.

I like his potential a lot. He has good size, a good looking stroke, can finish the break, can jump out of the gym, good defender. All of the tools are there, think he needs the opportunity of extended playing time and some mental toughness to showcase his skills.

I like our chances to make the NCAA tournament. We have 3 reliable starters that can carry the team most games. Where we will sink or swim is that 4th guy. Unless we see an uptick from either Trey or Deion, we will fall short. My guess is that we actually get it from someone other than those two guys.

One thing SDJ did better then KO is go his left as much as his right. KO explosiveness
off the dribble will be missed but SDJ is more crafty with his passes. We will be all right
without KO.

97spiderfan - agree with you on Josh Jones. The potential is there - but Coach Mooney needs to let him PLAY. Don't take him out anytime he breathes the wrong way - when he makes a mistake, he knows it. He played for Ricardo Patton in high school, for goodness sake. If he makes a mistake, let him go to the other end of the court and redeem himself. He could have a breakout season this year, IMHO.

Reactions: SpiderK
Carolina I agree with your comment about SDJ passes, sometimes they didn't work because the receiver was not ready -- with SDJ being more of a central figure I expect that to improve this season.

Just saw a tweet from Chandler Diekvoss that he was happy to be living in the Saint Louis area the next four years. Did he commit to a school in Saint Louis?

Just saw a tweet from Chandler Diekvoss that he was happy to be living in the Saint Louis area the next four years. Did he commit to a school in Saint Louis?
Chandler is going to Lindenwood University a DII school in St. Charles, Mo.

Any idea if he is going to play? They had four seniors last season and their coach was Soderberg from the Billikens before Majerus but I think he is now an assistant at UVA.

Must admit it's sort of tough to understand what we saw in Chandler as a hoops player. The fact that no other D1 showed interest in him is pretty eye opening.

Must admit it's sort of tough to understand what we saw in Chandler as a hoops player. The fact that no other D1 showed interest in him is pretty eye opening.
That hasn't worked out often, but I will ask, since I can't find or remember, did Gonzalvez have any offers besides South Carolina Upstate?

That hasn't worked out often, but I will ask, since I can't find or remember, did Gonzalvez have any offers besides South Carolina Upstate?

I don't know your answer but I really mean on the back end of a year with us. It's unbelievable to me that there wasn't a few rinky dink D1 programs that thought, "damn, Richmond usually evaluates talent well and has a nice program... let's look at this kid."

I don't know your answer but I really mean on the back end of a year with us. It's unbelievable to me that there wasn't a few rinky dink D1 programs that thought, "damn, Richmond usually evaluates talent well and has a nice program... let's look at this kid."
I see you meant when he left not went he came...

Reactions: MolivaManiac
Pretty unbelievable swing and miss on Chandler especially after we did the same thing with Tim Singleton the year prior. And now we have another recruit who wasn't on any D-1 school's radar for this year. I know every once in a while those long odds work in your favor, but more often than not, this is the outcome.

I remember Gary Williams(Hall of Fame Coach from MD) once said that if he had a scholarship to burn, he would take a flyer on a player.
He said that player might never play in a game, but he would help the team in practice.If he developed into a good player, everyone wins.

Pretty unbelievable swing and miss on Chandler especially after we did the same thing with Tim Singleton the year prior. And now we have another recruit who wasn't on any D-1 school's radar for this year. I know every once in a while those long odds work in your favor, but more often than not, this is the outcome.

If, as a program, we are OK with kicking people to the curb if they aren't up to our standards then there is no point in not filling up every scholarship every year, even if that means that at the end of recruiting season you are picking up players who are highly unlikely to be contributors. If they are good, then great. If they aren't good, oh well, send them packing and try again next year.

It seems like we peaked recruiting wise after we made the NCAAs (Ced/DWill after our 2010 appearance, KA/ANO after our 2011 run, TA/TD/DT the next year...) Hopefully after making the NCAAs this year we will again see an uptick in recruiting (although I think our class this year will be very strong). If Wood turns out to be good then perhaps our staff is good at identifying and bringing in quality transfers, and maybe we can try to grab quality transfers in the future instead of taking chances with fringe D1 players.

Last edited:

If you mean Dominaus, I think he had OVC Tennessee-Martin, but not sure that helps.

BTW both Fore & Johnson are now showing up at between 420-430 in the nation. Anthony was in the not top 450, Anderson was 385, for what it is worth.

If you mean Dominaus, I think he had OVC Tennessee-Martin, but not sure that helps.

BTW both Fore & Johnson are now showing up at between 420-430 in the nation. Anthony was in the not top 450, Anderson was 385, for what it is worth.

Are those numbers the ranking of our players out of the entire incoming freshmen class?

Are those numbers the ranking of our players out of the entire incoming freshmen class?
It was as of last year of high school. Most only show top 100, 150, 247, but one showed 450 (need to find it again).

If, as a program, we are OK with kicking people to the curb if they aren't up to our standards then there is no point in not filling up every scholarship every year, even if that means that at the end of recruiting season you are picking up players who are highly unlikely to be contributors. If they are good, then great. If they aren't good, oh well, send them packing and try again next year.

It seems like we peaked recruiting wise after we made the NCAAs (Ced/DWill after our 2010 appearance, KA/ANO after our 2011 run, TA/TD/DT the next year...) Hopefully after making the NCAAs this year we will again see an uptick in recruiting (although I think our class this year will be very strong). If Wood turns out to be good then perhaps our staff is good at identifying and bringing in quality transfers, and maybe we can try to grab quality transfers in the future instead of taking chances with fringe D1 players.

I think given the past few years, that we are now "OK" with being a program that gets rid of players who can't play up to standards. I know we used to look down on schools that did this, but the reality is every major program does this and can't keep around a player who can't perform, and I have to think a player wants to play and if they can't play here, they want to go somewhere that can. Gone are the days, when we keep a guy around for 4 years and never play them, ala Connor Smith.

You may be able to argue that we peaked before the NCAA run with the classes that brought in KA, Harp, Gonzo, Geriot since we haven't been to the NCAAs since those guys graduated.

I think given the past few years, that we are now "OK" with being a program that gets rid of players who can't play up to standards. I know we used to look down on schools that did this, but the reality is every major program does this and can't keep around a player who can't perform, and I have to think a player wants to play and if they can't play here, they want to go somewhere that can. Gone are the days, when we keep a guy around for 4 years and never play them, ala Connor Smith.
I don't think we can assume that we got rid of anyone.

Don't know what happened but...isn't there a difference between telling someone you won't play and telling him, we need your scholarship?

These kids want to play and when they go in for their end of year sit down with CM and realize that they are still on the bottom of the depth chart, they transfer. This happens every where. The term "running someone off" is used way too freely.
Every now and then a kid will just stick around for 4 years but that usually shows he doesn't want too play badly and is just going along for a free ride. CM would be doing the young man an injustice if he led him along that he may get some playing time. When someone gets really"run off" its over lack of personal discipline on/ off the court. The young men who left the program are better off and so is UR basketball.

Reactions: urfan1
Let's not get tied down in semantics. Think it is pretty clear that Singleton, Diekvoss, and Smithen didn't have the skills needed to play here. All 3 were one and done. Did CM tell them to get out and pull their schollie? Of course not On the other hand, I think it was made pretty clear to all involved that them playing basketball somewhere else was in everyone's best interest. So, they weren't thrown out, but the door was opened for them and someone very politely walked them out it.

At least Smithen wound up at another DI program, the fact that the other 2 didn't shows that we shouldn't be recruiting them in the first place.

Let's not get tied down in semantics. Think it is pretty clear that Singleton, Diekvoss, and Smithen didn't have the skills needed to play here. All 3 were one and done. Did CM tell them to get out and pull their schollie? Of course not On the other hand, I think it was made pretty clear to all involved that them playing basketball somewhere else was in everyone's best interest. So, they weren't thrown out, but the door was opened for them and someone very politely walked them out it.
Agree that we do not know the exact conditions that led the players to leave.

I would be shocked if an individualized conversation with the Coach did not play a very large role in the decision-making (the same as it likely did with Alonzo Nelson-Ododa).

If any of us were the player, and the Coach tells you that you will not play a significant role for the team, the decision is pretty easy. I wouldn't say that this is necessarily a bad thing. The question is whether or not the Coach's decision to shelve the player was correct. That we will never know.

I have no issue with a frosh leaving, especially if they see the writing on the wall that playing time for them is going to be hard to come by. I thought Diekvoss might be able to help, although in a limited role - as maybe just a shooter off the bench. But maybe he thought he could go elsewhere and start and have a more complete role - can't fault him for that.

What is surprising is ANO. Try to say what you want - this is a loss that could potentially hurt us. Its not like he was a bench player and did nothing for this team. He led our team in blocks all 3 seasons he has played, getting nearly two a game. And he has been our 2nd best rebounder each season as well - getting about 5-6 boards a game. Not to mention - his minutes before his eye injury were about 25 minutes a night. Some say his minutes were down from the previous year because of the addition of Cline, but not so much. Maybe next season with Wood, his minutes decline more - but still, this is a guy who had a chance to be an All A10 defender on an NCAA caliber team, play at least 20 minutes a night, if not more - and he chose to transfer to Pitt (not from there - he is from Atlanta), where they are a bubble team next year and he will likely only get limited minutes off the bench.

Will ANO be missed. I think so. Can he be replaced - I think so, but that all depends on the Wood, Cline, and Allen. I would hate for us to look back on this season when its over and be saying "What if ANO stayed?". Not sure that will happen - but time will tell.

let's not go too far into conjecture, either. unless you know more about these cases than I do, you can't say it was made clear to them to leave.

plenty of reasons for a kid to transfer. I'm sure we all loved UR or we wouldn't be posting here, but not everyone has a great experience. and it's really tough to be an athlete busting it for hours every day and not playing. you see the roster. you see that we only graduate KO this year. if you don't see a real shot for yourself to play, you may leave. there's like 800 transfers this year. coaches didn't tell 800 kids to leave.

I think were saying the same thing Spiderman, you just are saying it a little bit more from a coaching/admin spin, while I say it from a fans' spin.

And I don't think anyone is not saying that this shouldn't have happened, it is what needed to happen and is the best interest of all parties, so he probably didn't have to do all that much convincing. The bigger question as 2K speculates is how in the heck did we recruit 2 guys who have to go to D-2 to transfer. We have got to have better talent evaluators than that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT